Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
vn1uz
Newcomer

May 2005
1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 11:11 Go to next message
Hey guys just picked up the 1jz that I'm helping a mate to put into his vn commodore.
it looks to be in good nick etc
but i have a few questions
there looks like there is another p/s pump on the turbo side of the motor. What was it used for and how hard it it to remove ?? or disable
also the same goes with the air con pump can we just unbolt that
so we are just left with Alt and P/s or do they need to be left in place because of the belt length and not being able to get shorter ones etc ??
has any one done this conversion i have tried a search and didn't really uncover much
we are getting engine and gearbox mounts from the Rod shop so it should bolt straight in
thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds interesting cant help you with any of the questions except that you should be able to find a shorter belt do you have any pics atm??
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the "other ps pump" is actually the hydraulic driven fan pump, driven off the water pump, on the driver's side. For those of us that hate the hydraulic pump (like me) we buy a 2jz water pump and run thermos.

You can either do this, or just run a loop of hose from inlet to outlet on the hydraulic fluid part of the pump. By all means remove the aircon. finding a belt that fits can be difficult I'm told
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can remove the PS and AC if you don't want them. You then mount the alternator on the passenger side on a sliding bracket and it is easy as to get a belt to fit. It is a bit harder if you then use the 2j water pump as the pulley is different.
vn1uz
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys
so that fan pump is also the water pump ??
i guess we will just make a loop on it
the PS is going to stay but we will remove the A/C pump if i can find a belt to fit

no photos yet
still waiting on mounts from the ROD shop they were ordered last week
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im sure you will be able to find a belt that will fit the way i would do it (im sure there is someone who would know an easier way) would be to remove what i didnt need and test fit the original belt and measure roughly how much play is in the belt. Then take the belt to the auto shop and take the belt with me and say i need a belt like this such and such a size according to the measurements

[Updated on: Sun, 22 May 2005 12:07]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why why why would you put a nice engine into a horrible car... Confused
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 1jzgte engine would use flat ribbed belts right? (eg. 4pk1030) just measure the length you need in mm's (all belts these days are in mm of total length) and count how many ribs are on the original belt (or take it in with you).
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 23:33

the 1jzgte engine would use flat ribbed belts right? (eg. 4pk1030) just measure the length you need in mm's (all belts these days are in mm of total length) and count how many ribs are on the original belt (or take it in with you).

Yeah, IIRC it is a 5pk. Mine is 1080 I think which is a lot shorter than normal. But that is the way I did it.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looping the fluid fan drive hoses is a method which is not so easy once you attempt it [different fittings both ends] and looks like a bodge up when done.It will always annoy you if you are looking for a neat finish.
Go the 2j water pump.Much neater and i heard they are $130 approx [thanks norbie]

Personally would supercharge the 3.8 but hey,most people think we are all mad for modifying at all...........Best of Luck! Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:06]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2JZ water pump cost me $130 trade.

Another option is to remove the P/S pump and use the fan pump to run the P/S. This has been done a few times and apparently it works well.
vn1uz
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Sun, 22 May 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys
i will look into using that pump for the P/S
does any one have flow stats etc on it ??
will it be big enough ??
also we are looking at using a microtech LTX12 to run it this computer will run the coils straight from the computer right ??
wont need the ignitor box?
and fire them and the injectors sequentially ??

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Mon, 23 May 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, the ltx has inbuilt igniter. it can do sequential injection and ignition (as long as you're not afraid of a bit of wiring, it's also really easy to install).

free hint: the microtech wiring diagrams for the 1jz are not always right. if it runs like shit, try swapping the wires around for cam sensor.
vn1uz
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Mon, 23 May 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks i wasnt to sure
i have wired a few MT8 (needed ignitor) and LTX8 but we used bosh coils on the ltx it was on a CA18 so i wanst 100% if i could use the stock coils
ill keep that Cam Sensor in mind when we are wiring it up
how good is the base tune in the microtech with this motor ??
would any one have there map saved to there computer so we can use it till we get it on the dyno ??
thanks again

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jzgte into VN commodore Mon, 23 May 2005 01:51 Go to previous message
I don't have a lap top handy, sorry!

base tune... well, it's good enough to get you to a tuner's Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AW11 LSD