Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CRAB-86
Regular

September 2003
3RD place for Webber Sun, 22 May 2005 16:25 Go to next message
Dunno if anyone cares about the F1, but Webber just got 3rd,
crazy race with some suprisingly good overtaking manouvers on a tight track (Monte Carlo).
Leg
  Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Sun, 22 May 2005 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stoked for Webber... That dodgy Alonso held people up again... It was probably the best F1GP race we've had for quite a while... Lot's of action despite not many crashes.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3RD place for Webber Sun, 22 May 2005 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Race was cool, Alonso is not dodgy, oh, and go webber!
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Sun, 22 May 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 03:43

Stoked for Webber... That dodgy Alonso held people up again... It was probably the best F1GP race we've had for quite a while... Lot's of action despite not many crashes.

I agree, best race Ive watched in 2 years, sad result for toyota Sad Well done to Webber, and Alonso is not dodgy, he mad the race exciting, must have a big fuel tank!
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alonso is a bastard... he held up my man Webber. If he held up anyone else then I would be fine with that... Very Happy

I know Alonso is not dodgy... I was just sitting there getting all worked up about how slow he was making the two Williams go. I was grinning like a mofo when he did it to Schumacher last race though. Evil or Very Mad
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger it. I watched the start and then when Webber did his typical "I will lose 2 or 3 places at the start" maneuvour I turend it off and went to bed.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Surprisingly Webber didn't take himself or someone else out like he usually does.

He's okay, but I'm more of a Team man. I go for the team and the actual driver is secondary. I certainly hope Ferrari get their act together 'cos they're my fave. I never had a second choice team, but since Toyota are in the comp they're my number 2 team.

I hate Renault 'cos they're french.

seeyuzz
river
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 16:32

Hi,

I hate Renault 'cos they're french.

seeyuzz
river

how'd i know that one was coming ,personally befor webber got into F1 i followed schumacher. Was disappointed at the imola grandprix that he didn't win he showed far greater pace than anyone else on the track. The renaults shit me quick off the line but when it comes down to the race they seem to lack the speed sometimes.
I think it was a good effort for webber he's a great bloke, i met him at oran park years ago and got a signed poster of his CLK GTR this was before it got flipped, this stayed on the pool table for years, until it enventually looked to sad and was tossed out. i eman if we had of gotten it framed like planned imagine how much it would be worth now compared to what it was back then when he was an unknown.
Hey its not his problem getting off the line, that is a problem with the clutch in the car but meh once they get it fixed williams are gonna have a pretty good package. And i think it was a damn good drive considering there top speed was down like 7kmph on the other lead teams.
Oh and whilst i follow webber i still hold a grudge against williams for killing Ayrton Senna we all know they did.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats with people supporting ferrari? i didnt think there was any more room on the bandwagon. and schumacher? everythings fine when things go his way, if someone does him wrong theyre an arsehole but how easily everyone forgets incidents such as hill and villeneuve getting punted off by schumacher.

and how typical is it for aussies to knock their own? webber cant be blamed for his starts, its the car. the driver has next to no control over the car off the line. its proof of what a good driver he is when he can qualify a less than perfect car so well even tho it lacks the pace of others, eg last year at bahrain he qualified second in the jag!

also dont listen to the commentators, one of them has it in for webber big time, its damn obvious.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldn't listen to martin brundle the guys a knob and to make it worse he's trulli's manager, last year when he had a few piss poor efforts at renault he kept on talking him up and i was like Rolling Eyes and then i found out he was his manager and it all makes sense.
Oh i started going for schumacher when he was at benneton, mainly cos my brother went for hill but hes the biggest poof to eva grace the f1 stage so (but thats another thing).
Very Happy
Yeah evosti i'm with you on the starts its all the car, and another thing webber is a an excellent driver and probably the fittest person in f1, anyone watch the tassy trial thing over chrissie this year he's nuts.
I knew webber was gonna go well in f1 last year in the jag when he was matching schumacher at the melbourne grandprix in the race just before the car blew up.
toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
webber sucks cock.

nar his not that bad i just hate it how channel ten focus's alot on him even if he is in last postion. mark webber this mark webber that oh thets cut to mark webber
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyoda wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 17:05

webber sucks cock.

nar his not that bad i just hate it how channel ten focus's alot on him even if he is in last postion. mark webber this mark webber that oh thets cut to mark webber

Well it's the same as Channel 7 showing mainly events that Australia were involved in during the Olympics.

You can't blame 'em.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cause this is fukn australia and most of us are damn proud to see an aussie in the highest class of motorsport! and i might be able to see where your coming from if he was a knob, but he seems to be a genuinely nice guy, always has time for the media unlike ppl like montoya, now hes a knob, tallent is wasted on him.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how can you not expect them to focus on him since David Brabham short stint in the MTV team (there time in f1 ended due to the death of roland ratzenberger in imola during practice two days before ayrton senna) ( Barichello survived a crash during practice similar to both senna and roland and had been visited by senna in hospital as they were fellow brazilian's) i think in the mid 90's there hasn't been another aussie in f1 since alan jones. He's australian he's racing in the premier motor racing event, i think its about time he got credit for his abilities, and the struggle he has had to get to this level than you'd think he deserves it too.
One his fitness regiem is beyond anything you could imagine, second until jaguar started paying him money he was near bankrupt and his european career had been funded by yellow pages and large amounts of moeny from David Campese a family friend.
Honestly have a bit of patriotism we finally get someone to follow and you bitchthat we actually get to see him race.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 17:10

cause this is fukn australia and most of us are damn proud to see an aussie in the highest class of motorsport! and i might be able to see where your coming from if he was a knob, but he seems to be a genuinely nice guy, always has time for the media unlike ppl like montoya, now hes a knob, tallent is wasted on him.

montoya has no talent he belongs back in indi, all he can do is drive he is not useful for pr, media or car setup. Montoya aparts from being able to drive a car fast although raikonnen shits all over him is a totally useless tool for A team, he can't do anything. He's motto is i am employed to drive and the engineers are employed to set up the car for me well tubby unless you give them human feed back of how you like to drive a car its a bit hard to setup.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agre with your above post totally but to say he has no talent i think is wrong, i mean he started last on the grid and ended up in fifth, and its MONACO!thats no mean feat.
my fav driver of all time is still senna, and he had a similar attitude, he would fart arse around with his remote control planes and tell the engineers to just set it up like prosts. some ppl loved him, some hated him. but he was the best imo.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he was kinda in between though, he did say set it up like prosts but he also made his own input in race setup, that was mainly in initial setup and testing. Senna was a different driver altogether though as he'd drive round a shit car, i did an assignment on him in primary school a 20 page biography. Since then i have admired his talents even though he'd already passed away.
I bought the DVD on him last year and it sheds light further on to him. The planes were gifts from the japs actually, he had a massive property in Brazil to keep them in but he built a go-kart track on it too and brought all the disadvantaged kids out to the track and let them race.
He was a very charitable man and unlike montoya was very similar to say webber in his fitness approach and pr and media approach.
I would reccommend the DVD to anyone its a great watch, the man was nuts he had an ability unparralleled by any other driver in my opinion sure shcumacher's good but his first championship was one when senna died. And until last year senna still had more pole positions even though his racing career was a lot shorter. IMO he should of stayed with McLaren they owned the track, first opinions on Prost is he is a prick but reading more about him he's a little better.
Personally though the rivalry between the two is what drove them to success. And imo senna shouldn't of been penalised for the incident in suzuka in 1990 which would of ment that he would of won 4 world champiochips and prost three.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats because the the stewards were french, and dirty that prost was put out of the race. those two going at it is the best f1 racing ever imo. nothing is near as exiting.

i still remember when senna died. i was only young but i still knew how significant it was. we still have a senna shrine in our pool room Cool
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I remember when AJ was racing F1, and Jodie Sheckter and the black/gold JPS Specials and the magnificent 6-wheel Tyrells.

I'm not a Montoya fan. He's got some talent but his attitude bites into it too much. Senna was good, but I never liked him.

I like Webber, but he's a bit raw at the moment and a bit too gung-ho. He's an Aussie version of Sato. However, I think he'll become a very good F1 driver and maybe, one day, a champion.

I support Ferrari 'cos I have always done so. Nowadays they're one of the very few teams that make their own engines and chassis - good on ya fellas!

seeyuzz
river
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alonso was pissing me right off. Even when Weber had him he still bloody cut the corner and slowed him up again. Bloody arsehole
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yummie
F1 thread
apparently toyota engines will possibly be found in williams cars soon
apparently the williams cars are slow due to a calibration error in their new wind tunnel
apparently webber bogs the starts due to auto control off the line hence he has no control of the revs etc

im glad webbers has achieved a podium place now yet am still pissed off how the williams team appear to favour his temate ahead of him as is evident who p[its first in a yelow flag situation etc
im pissed @ how ralf handled himself with jean pablo and frustrated hwo truli basically took himself out of the race yet love how he "had a go"
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i have always been dirty on williams, they do seem to give preference to heidfeld even tho they were after webber for over a year. i was pissed off and clerly webber was too, i mean he had the position but the team pitted heidfeld in a way that would make him come out ahead of webber which is fukin wrong, webber deserved the second place.
i bet hes spewing about not going to renault, i sure would be.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was an action packed race well deserved 3rd for webber and f1 hasnt been this interesting in a long time something also to note is schumacher (spellin?) comming from 1 lap down to 7th incredible
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
his teamate is german and has a history with the team what do you expect. I know williams is british but BMW has made a big german influence on them. Plus the brits never like aussie's so what do you expect, even though the germans tried to blow em up they still prefer em over us go figure.
I was too young to remember senna and at that time i was more into group a's and the skyline GTR's at that stage, however since doing the project on senna in primary school i learnt a lot about F1 in general and a lot more about senna, the things he claimed are scarey and very unbelievable for anyone that has a scince based mind but somehting has to explain his ability. The fact is in an under powered heap of shit when he first started in formula one he was able to outclass many a high level driver in the worst conditions of rain. Watching the DVD about him is just plain weird and enlightening. To this day i don't think anyone possesses the raw skill that he did.
When intitially testing for williams in 1984 he got into a car he'd never dirven before three times as powerful as any car he'd ever driven and lapped silverstone up to 1.5 seconds quicker than that car ever had. Explain that it just doesn't make sense.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

For you young ones....

Here is the 6-wheel March car
http://www.geocities.com/simontmallett/240march1/240march2.JPG

Here is the 6-wheel Tyrell car
http://www.motorshots.com/images/mediumthumbnails/fof1za77590.jpg

Here is the magnificent Lotus "John Player Special"
http://www.shardlow.net/jpslotus/97/97t-lotus2004-3.jpg

Memories, like the corners of my mind... tra la lala...

seeyuzz
river
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 20:15

his teamate is german and has a history with the team what do you expect. I know williams is british but BMW has made a big german influence on them. Plus the brits never like aussie's so what do you expect, even though the germans tried to blow em up they still prefer em over us go figure.

Are you kidding me ? ! ? ! ? ! Frankie Williams and Patrick Head have had a hard-on for aussies since A.J. won them the championship 25 years ago. I can't refute the suggestion that BMW will have leaned on Team-Willy to give ze German Heidfeld a leg-up.

And yes, Senna was an ACE driver, even if he was maniacally obsessed with winning. Watching a highlight reel of some battles he had, teh nigga wuz CRAAAZZZYYY !

4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 23 May 2005 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/images/lauda7a.jpg
why cnt we have images like this these days in f1 racing
sure downforce and safty are factors yet it would be hella more exciting

then again thinking outside the square as exampled witht he below image doesnt assist
http://www.rwmann.com/BT46B.jpg
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Tue, 24 May 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 02:53

then again thinking outside the square as exampled witht he below image doesnt assist
http://www.rwmann.com/BT46B.jpg

I think you'll find that the engineers would think outside the square if they were allowed to. Any new idea that gives the car an advantage of others is generally squashed by the officials. Why would they go out on a limb and spend millions on a new and unconventional addition to their car if they won't end up being allowed to use it? It sucks but it's all up to the rule makers now.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Tue, 24 May 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't get why the FIA continues to allow the teams such huge amounts of downforce. I could hand-out 3 or 4 rule changes that'd slash the fu(k out of the available dowforce to around 1/4 of current levels. Give 'em back wide-track suspension and phat slicks to shut-up the team's whinging.

Passing galore.

Sorted.

Very Happy
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Tue, 24 May 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so could i, remove the wings. but what good would that do to anyone? its not about reducing downforce, the cars need to be safe.
besides they are going to V8's soon anyway.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Tue, 24 May 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well I don't know why the FIA keeps pissing around with these rules and changing things. IMO F1 is the premier car racing event and it saddens me to see it get so stuffed about and limited with these rules.

I want to see tyre changes back in the race. It's always good to see the pit crew do some work, where races can be won and lost, not just a few dudes putting in petrol. The one engine for two races seems absurd. The F1 is all about a 2hour sprint race - not endurance or whose parts last the longest. I'll watch Bathurst or LeMans if I want to see an endurance race.

Fortunately, the FIA is starting to realise that it's losing its fans and is requesting info from the fans to see what they think. I'm gonna pop over to their web-site now.

seeyuzz
river
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Tue, 24 May 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i disagree. if they dont change the rules and allow the cars to advance to stupid degrees, they will be unsafe. there needs to be limits.
while noone dissagreed when they went back to the single qualifying session, i think the one set of tyres rule is tops, makes for more exciting racing. and making the engine last longer is also a good thing. i think it should be one weekend tho rather than two meets. i mean we dont want to go back to days when they just make the 'hand grenades' for qualifying and use detuned engines for the race. there needs to be a limit otherwise it turns into 'who can spend the most money'. all teams agree the costs need to be contained, except for ferrari ofcourse Rolling Eyes
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Tue, 24 May 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well my friend, the best we can do is agree to disagree.

I agree with you with the hand-grenade qualifying. I think the cars should qualify in the same trim (ie fuel load and tyres) that they are to race in.

However, I don't agree with the engine lasting two races. Why not make it last 5 or ten or the whole season? To me it is an absurd rule that serves no purpose - except to save money for the poor-ass teams - which it probably won't 'cos they're going to have to fund the research and development for longer lasting engines.

The tyre rules are the ones that I find the most dangerous and destructive to the sport. Nothing is more dangerous than a blow-out at the speeds these cars do. I hate to see a car taken out of a race because it had a blow out on a worn tyre that should of been swapped before it got to such a dangerous condition.

I don't want to see cars taken out due to a tyre manufacturers inability to make a tyre that can last a race. At least have some markers on the tyres (to denote dangerous wear) so a team can go in and change them.

What's next? No fuel changes either. Then they can run around in dizzying rings like some of the Indy cars and I'll fall asleep.

As far as making it even and limiting the money... why? Having a level monetary field has done nothing for AFL/NRL in salary caps it always seems the teams with the money and expertise are handicapped to keep the poorer teams in the race. It's F1 for god's sake. I expect money to be thrown into it. I expect poor teams to get out and leave it to the top teams, who can afford it, to run the races. I'd hazzard a guess that if any team has a bottomless pit of money for F1 it would be Toyota - they're certainly bigger (in financial terms) than Ferrari.

I guess we just have different opinions on what we like in our F1. Smile

seeyuzz
river
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Wed, 25 May 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cost limiting helps all of the teams, if one teams spends crazy amounts of money and dominates, the other teams cant compete so withdraw leaving only the big spenders, it will turn into a one horse race. i do agree toyota proabably has the most money to throw at the sport, but what i was saying is all of the teams except ferrari are concerned about the costs and are threatening to leave the sport and start a new series if the issue isnt addressed. on the subject of cost its worth noting that the head of toyota has ZERO interest in motorsport and the head of the motorsport division is having a hard time convincing the company to invest in racing.

i dont beleive the tyre rule is any more dangerous than when they cahnged to the groved tyres, all it means is all the teams are having to run harder compounds, teams are still changing tyres if necessary, as sauber did at monaco.
thay are talking about making a single tyre for wet and dry with only one compound, i think this will be good, that will only translate into better road tyres in the fututre for everyone Smile
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Wed, 25 May 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after this season, i dont think there would be much rule change. coz as far as i remember, for the pass few years the rule changes was just to stop ferari winning. i guess FIa should be happy now
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Thu, 26 May 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how are the rule changes to stop ferrari winning? i dont know what racing your watching but the rule changes have applied to ALL teams either to slow them ALL down or reduce costs.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Thu, 26 May 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I don't wnat them to slow down. F1 should be fast and furious (heheheh no refernce to that ghey movie).

Anyway, 'cos I'm a lazy sod and I'll think I'll get a better and more succinct answer here.... what's the main diff in performance between the F1 and the Indy cars?

I always like the idea that F1 is "the" premier car racing event, but I wonder about Indy car. I watch F1 but not Indy - 'cos it seems to wreak of too much US bullshit and crap. maybe it's their commentators. There isn't a sport I watch when I have to listen to their annoying accent and all the shit they sprout (seemingly moreso than commentators of other countries).

Anyway, what's the diff between Indy and F1?

seeyuzz
river
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Thu, 26 May 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRL racing league are turbo V8's. they are sequentially hand shifted. they have a 'push to pass' button which give them a couple of extra pounds of boost to overtake, but they can only use it a limited amount of times in a race. a light on the back of the car comes on when they hit it, makes for interesting racing. also they mainly go in circles.

i also think F1 is the premiere category and like to see the all out advancements, but where to you draw the line? how much of it is driver skill rather than clever engineering? i mean they got abs, traction control, pedal shit semi auto's, launch control etc... F1 is alot less about the driver nowdays.

BRING ON A1! i cant wait!!! :):)Smile
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Thu, 26 May 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 22:04

how are the rule changes to stop ferrari winning? i dont know what racing your watching but the rule changes have applied to ALL teams either to slow them ALL down or reduce costs.

they keep changing rules in my opinion for the pass few years coz ferrari kept dominating and it was getting boring seeing them win all the time. there was one time ferari kept winning till there was not enought audiences to watch F1 and it was a big concern coz viewers support F1 financially.

anybody remember when they first introduce single qualifying?? the season b4 that schumacher had so many pole positions. in my opinion they change to single qualifying hoping that schumacher couldnt get the hang of it.

thats one opinion among many relating the rule changes and ferrari in my opinion that is
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Thu, 26 May 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 20:08

I don't get why the FIA continues to allow the teams such huge amounts of downforce. I could hand-out 3 or 4 rule changes that'd slash the fu(k out of the available dowforce to around 1/4 of current levels. Give 'em back wide-track suspension and phat slicks to shut-up the team's whinging.

Passing galore.

Sorted.

Very Happy

the problem is it takes almost no time at all for the teams to make back all the losses like this year the cars are supposed to have what 20% less aero (cant remember the number) however over the off season they have made back all the losses and then some
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Thu, 26 May 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simply the best thing they can do is take away ALL driver aids
yes even power brakes steering etc
to me atm f1 is a semi automated sport with only limited control by the driver (im sure that a monkey could be trained to do their job)
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Thu, 26 May 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Isn't the Aussie V8 Cars also semi-automated? Maybe they should make those cars more like the stock models and reduce the downforce and remove other non-standard items to bring back a bit of the actual driving skill and make the cars more like the ones you can actually buy. However, I don't think the bogans would like that 'cos then Toyota, Honda, Subaru etc would be able to bring their "stock" cars to the track and maybe whip some Aussie butt?

seeyuzz
river
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Thu, 26 May 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope they have hollinger boxes, although some teams are now using a computer that will cut the throttle during gear changes for a split second so they can change full throttle without the clutch and no damage is done to the gearbox. Before this the only shifts they'd flat shift were straight shifts of 3-4 and 5-6.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Fri, 27 May 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 00:05

st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 20:08

Passing galore.

Sorted.

Very Happy

the problem is it takes almost no time at all for the teams to make back all the losses like this year the cars are supposed to have what 20% less aero (cant remember the number) however over the off season they have made back all the losses and then some

The FIA's problem is that it's making incremental changes designed to keep the aero-development by the teams in check. i.e. Ferrari gets 10% more d/force most years, so the FIA makes rules to take 20% back off everyone every 2nd year.

I'm talking about a radical shift in the way F1 cars make their grip. Take away 85% of the undertray d/force by banning rear diffusers and blocking the undertray airflow with a full-width magnesium skid block between the rear wheels. BRING BACK THE SPARKS ! ! ! Evil or Very Mad I'd also implement a compulsory profile for the underside of the front wings, as well as banning barge boards and taking another element out of the rear wing. Hopefully that will lessen the penalty to the teams without an open-ended wind tunnel program.

The Engine rule, I'd change to 3 or 4 races per-engine, but only for qualifying and the race. For Thursday, Friday and Saturday practice a seperate engine allocation would apply, to encourage teams to test like mad on raceweekend - with a $$$-per-lap bonus to make sure racefans get aktion. YES - I did say THURSDAY practice. This extra day at each race weekend would be taken from the annual test allowance - which all teams MUST stick to (I'm looking at YOU ferrari) . . . .

The trick-bit in my scheme is tyres. WIDE low-profile slicks, with 4 dry compounds and 2 wets brought to each race - all allowable to race on. The hook is that if you want to change (dry) compound during the race, you may only use ONE pitstop, unless it rains - in which case you're still only allowed the two sets of dry tyres (what you qual'd & started on, and the 2nd set you use in the race). People who use the same compound in qual and race, may pit as they see fit, using as many sets of the same compound as they like.

This would/should mean a return of an almost-qualifying compound, which would then have to carry whoever uses it for a 15-20 lap sprint at the start of the race, followed by a 40-50lap slog on hard tyres with lots-o-fuel. This makes everyone on 2, 3 or 4 stop strategies pass the 1-stoppers ON-TRACK at least once, if not twice if they want to beat them. The one-stoppers will be uncatchable at the start, as they'll be light on fuel, and on super-soft tyres. An extra incentive for the one-stop strategy would be to make their refuelling rig ~50% faster-flowing, to encourage more people to use a theoretically slower straegy (the long stint on hard tyres would be heller-slow).

aye? Wink
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Fri, 27 May 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah - compulsory cable-throttles to help BAN THE FvCK out of Traction control. GOD I HATE the "gearbox full of chisels" sound of T/C in F1 Mad Mad Mad I'm also up-for 5-speed gearboxes to make peak horsepower less important, and torque more of a factor, to close-up the field. It'd also lessen the "mosquito on steroids" soundtrack, as they'd be using a much broader rev-range. V8's versus V12's again too - current V10's sound blecchh. Perhaps a 70kg weight penalty for the V12 cars?

I know this is way more than the "3 or 4 rule changes" I mentioned to help passing, but I figure I might as well air all my beefs with F1 while I'm here.

90's Indycar was ACE ! ! Mansell, Fittipaldi, Andretti, Andretti, Unser Jr, Paul Tracy, etc. etc. There were 4 chassis manufacturers and 4 Engine suppliers, as well as 2 tyre suppliers. Less grip than F1, slightly more weight and slightly more Horsepower. Truly a golden age, until Tony George (Indianapolis speedway owner) COMPLETELY FUCKED AMERICAN OPEN-WHEEL RACING by splitting off the IRL - because HE didn't "get" turning right ! ! Mad

V8 Supercars have around 180kg rear d/force and 60-80kg front d/force at top speed - hardly enough to take out "the actual driving skill" as River suggests. I don't get why they're spending $100k per-engine in V8's, when a suitably tweaked Holden 5.7L LS1 and Ford 5.4L Boss would make similar power, for just as long (1,500->1,800km) at half the price. Teh sh!t be WHACK holmes . . .
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Fri, 27 May 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't even talk about indi that has to be the most boring shit i have ever seen cars built to go round in circle thats why they have less grip, the only street circuits they have its a precision not much passing except in the pits and the event of some major brain fade wheer someone majorly take sout another car.
F1 is good they should of left it the way it was sure they have taken ferrari out of the game this year, but instead renault has pretty much dominated. I reckon they need to get back to the good old days stuff regulating the sport let them do whatever they want you know why cos it develops technology. Put it this way in terms of engine building a small V8 ain't gonna be a disadvantage for ferrari gee they ahve only been doing it for road cars for their whole existence.
Look at the V8 supercars, they have regulated them into a state where every car is pretty much the same, it just makes for boring racing as no-one can pass as they don't have an outright speed advantage on any part of the cicuit. The same sort of thing happened at Imola.
Cos of the new aero regs it means when following someone the dirty air disturbs the cars a lot more. So schumacher was 2 secs a lap quicker than alonso but as soon as he caught short of ramming him of the road cos alonso nailed it out of the corners he couldn't do anything
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Fri, 27 May 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 16:37

don't even talk about indi that has to be the most boring shit i have ever seen cars built to go round in circle thats why they have less grip, the only street circuits they have its a precision not much passing except in the pits and the event of some major brain fade wheer someone majorly take sout another car.
F1 is good they should of left it the way it was sure they have taken ferrari out of the game this year, but instead renault has pretty much dominated. I reckon they need to get back to the good old days stuff regulating the sport let them do whatever they want you know why cos it develops technology. Put it this way in terms of engine building a small V8 ain't gonna be a disadvantage for ferrari gee they ahve only been doing it for road cars for their whole existence.
Look at the V8 supercars, they have regulated them into a state where every car is pretty much the same, it just makes for boring racing as no-one can pass as they don't have an outright speed advantage on any part of the cicuit. The same sort of thing happened at Imola.
Cos of the new aero regs it means when following someone the dirty air disturbs the cars a lot more. So schumacher was 2 secs a lap quicker than alonso but as soon as he caught short of ramming him of the road cos alonso nailed it out of the corners he couldn't do anything

IndyCars in the 90's was :

2 superspeedways
1 speedway
3 1-mile ovals
5 street courses
5 Race Circuits (called road-courses in the U.S.)

Hardly one-dimensional or boring stuff. I agree that it's fvcked NOW, but the Mid-90's indycar championship was pure-GOLD !

Did you see any of it for yourself, Corona?

V8 supercars now is a bit too processional, for sure - but what do you expect when everyone has same power, same tyres, similar strategy and same aero-package? I'm talking about putting the F1's on DIFFERENT tyres, fuel, engines, weight, etc. - with VERY LITTLE downforce so that they can follow closely enough to pass. Play with the fine-detail so that everyone ends up with similarly quick race-time (total time to complete X-laps) on the various strategy, and SHA-KLACKEY! Passing action!
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 30 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Y E S !

I killed another thread! Hurrah ! ! ! !

No 3rd for Webber this week. He got swamped off the start and got greedy trying to make up for it into T1. Poor Mark and his poofy Willy/Beemer Launch Control. Crying or Very Sad
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 3RD place for Webber Mon, 30 May 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i wouldnt say he got greedy, he did brake too deep but i still think montoya coulda taken it a bit wider. granted he couldnt see webber in his blindspot, but there was always going to be someone there, he took the corner wide and cut the apex, he is partially at fault.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 3RD place for Webber Tue, 31 May 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, pity thought. Those Williams suck off the start. You would think they would really put some effort into making them work. All the other teams seem to go ok.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3RD place for Webber Tue, 31 May 2005 02:49 Go to previous message
they did before monaco and still sucked, they spent a month testing a new clutch setup and launch control shit at silverstone and it still bogged.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 drivers = DOG??
Next Topic:Mazda 6 MPS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 02:08:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008864164352417 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.