Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Interstate Cruises and Events » Queensland » Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Tue, 17 May 2005 10:04 Go to next message
coutersy of a supporter of the Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts

Subject: Media Release *** LAKESIDE Q&A OPEN DAY ***
DATE: Monday, 16 May 2005

Brisbane, Queensland - Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts, Inc. is holding a special general meeting at the Lawnton Showgrounds on Sunday, 22 May from 12 - 2pm to give motoring enthusiasts and local residents the opportunity to ask questions about the future of Lakeside International Raceway and the role it could play as part of a regional anti-hooning strategy.

LMRE has been working to preserve Lakeside as a venue for club-level motor racing, promoting it's role as part of a strategy for reducing street racing and hooning on public streets and recommending it as an obvious venue for similar activities such as trail-bike riding.

Club president Ian Milton said,
"A lot has happened recently and we thought it was about time there was a casual forum so people with all points of view could have the chance to ask questions and voice their opinion about Lakeside and other related issues such as as hooning."
LMRE will have a sausage sizzle for attendees at the Lawnton Showgrounds located north of Brisbane on Old Gympie Road, Lawnton.

For more information regarding Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts, Inc contact:

Scott Clark
0418 184 552
info@lakesideraceway.com
www.lakesideraceway.com

this probably replaces the cruise that someone originally posted to boost cruising (then fled afer being asked for details)

that thread seemd to be going no-where as well.

If you need to find the showgrounds, use whereis.com.au

cheers,
Charles.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Tue, 17 May 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man this will be great to get that place going again.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Tue, 17 May 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unfortunately Yvonne Chapman and her merry band of neo-nazi-land-developer-national-party-hacks at the pine rivers shire council have other ideas about the track - they'd rather see innapropriate land use (like a golf club or medium density housing) on the foreshores of the shire's key water supply storage.

on a more cheery note - Cool1: i'll bring your torque thingo with me on sunday and return it to you!

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:42]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Tue, 17 May 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries. I'll have to see if I can make it though as I have a fair bit on at the moment.
I might even try to get Keith to come along and speak up as I'm sure his voice may have some leverage seeing he has his own rally. Whats your thoughts?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Tue, 17 May 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get keith to talk to the LMRE organisers - he probably knows some of them anyway - he does track cars as well as rally?

I get the press releases via one of the TCC Qld committee members who's on their mailing list. So i'm not a participant in the palnning of their stuff - just a willing promoter.

BTW: clubs and people who have pledged their support to getting the track open include:
Alfa Romeo Car Club, BMW Club of Qld, Brisbane Vintage Auto Club, British Singles Motorcycle Club, Bundaberg Vintage Vehicle Club, Classic and Historic Automobile Club of Caboolture, Ducati Owners Club of Qld, Fiat Car Club of Queensland, Graffiti Rods, Healy Car Club, Historic Motorcycle Club of Queensland, Highland Restorers Club, HQ Racing Association of Qld, Holden Sporting Car Club, Honda Car Owner's Association, HSV Owners Club of Qld, Kustoms of Australia - Gold Coast, Laverda Club of Qld, Mackay Classic Car Club, Mini Owners Club of Qld, Monaro Club of Qld, Mount Isa Restored Car Club, QLD Racing Drivers Association, QLD Superkart Club, Sports 1300 Club, Sunshine Coast Antique Car Club, Surfer's Paradise Auto Racing Club, Team Stranglers Motorcycle Club, The Motorcycle Sportsmen, Toyota Car Club of Queensland, XR6 and XR8 Club of Queensland .

btw - if you're not there, i'll fly by your place on the way home to drop off the wrench.
ultimatechaos
Regular

March 2003
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Wed, 18 May 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i gotta work Sad

so u can keep your wrench chucky Razz
Darryl
Regular

October 2003
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Thu, 19 May 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 20:54

No worries. I'll have to see if I can make it though as I have a fair bit on at the moment.
I might even try to get Keith to come along and speak up as I'm sure his voice may have some leverage seeing he has his own rally. Whats your thoughts?

You work for keith fackerall?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Thu, 19 May 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darryl wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 11:33

Cool1 wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 20:54

You work for keith fackerall?

No. He works for me Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Thu, 19 May 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know him? If so I probably know you Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Darryl
Regular

October 2003
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Thu, 19 May 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No doubt you would. Very Happy

Whats your real name.

I thought Keith owned KCF? Confused
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Thu, 19 May 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane.

Yeah he owns KCF, but when i'm there i'm the boss. You just ask him Wink
Darryl
Regular

October 2003
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Thu, 19 May 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I work at cruisin auto spares.

Everyone calls me guido. Wink
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Thu, 19 May 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh yeah. Do you have the little ute thing? Or is that someone else i'm thinking of?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Thu, 19 May 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice hijack guys Razz

I will be there, can't say no to sausages Smile Charles what is your mobile number? Mine is 0422424862. Will call you when I get there.

later
Chris

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Thu, 19 May 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris, i'm on 0414 269310 - i'll be there by 12 or earlier.
cheers, charles.
hoges
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Fri, 20 May 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill be there, where abouts is the lawnton showgrounds?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Fri, 20 May 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, same question.

I searched whereis for old gympie rd, lawnton but there was no listings?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Fri, 20 May 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its just north of Strathpine shopping center.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Fri, 20 May 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cnr of Lawnton Pocket Road and Gympie Road.

The showgrounds are also part of Eddie Hyland Pk.

This pool is also in the park - click on the link, then zoom in.

cheers,
Charles.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Sat, 21 May 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Charles. Cya tomorrow
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Sun, 22 May 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what happened? What was said?? I couldn't make it Sad
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Sun, 22 May 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in a nutshell:
despite the pine river shire council saying they've come to agreement to look after parts of the track fo the next five years, the Courts says there is still a legal dispute between the Council and the Heritage Listing - so the council can't claim that the track is no longer listed and is theirs for the taking - they are supposed to issue (in the next few weeks) an Expression of Interest regarding site management for the next 5 years - however there is no garuntee (and is highly unlikely ) that they will include motorsport as an activity in the EoI.

the Heritage Council intends to recind the listing of the track so there is a significant risk to the track if this decision to drop heritage protection gets accepted by the courts. The shire council claim the agreement is for them to maintain the actual track and some of the building - but not for what purpose. The council intends to rezone the land if/when teh court action ends and once it looses motorsport as an accepted use then the track is gone. forever.

The validity of the decision to drop the listing is dubious - but without serious legal challenge and legwork, this high suspicious actin maynot be defeatable in the courts anyway.

A number of people raised issues regading the potential for the track to return to use and what kind of events could be held. Rough estimates suggest about $1M to hold CAMS sanctioned events but the venue itself is no longer suitable for things like V8supercar as it doesn't have the crow capacity and logistics support for megaevents like these. As it stands now, you could hold a sprint event if you could get appropriate insurance - the buildings might b a bit lacking in maintenance, but the actual track surface is in good condition.

A number of speakers talked about the importance of submissions being made to the Heritage Council, to State Ministers, to the council etc - that they not be simple form letters as they're regarded as 'one letter' - they should be an expression of the views and feelings of the writer. If they get thousands of form letters then perhaps that will attract attention

The LMRE really need your support in getting the message to your local Sate member, to the relevant Minister, to the Premier, to your local paper, to ring up talkback radio, to tell your mates and people who are motorsport enthusiasts ... that Lakeside could be up-and-running for club level events without much cost, that it would be an ideal venue for driver training and education (both commercially and for schools), that it's a safe place for younger drivers to test their skills (instead of the suburban and industrial backlots of Brisbane), that it will work with the anti-hooning legislation by keeping reducing the incidence of street-racing, that it can generate business opportinities in the region for directly related motor-sport and the support industries that venues like these foster.

Dont just write one letter, keep up the volume, email and write letters.

The volume of interest in the circuit is always high - several years ago when the council was seemingly interested in finding a commercial operator for the track, they received one bid from a UK outfit.

Depsite the council claiming there is no interest in teh track, the LRME received emails daily from people who thing they run the track and want to hire it for racing-related events...the council revealed - via a FOI request that the LRME lodged - that they had boxes of emails and letters from people and businesses interested in using the track.

i think more info will be on their website:

even tho there was a smallish crowd (about 50) - about half were not LRME members and many had only recently heard about the LRMEs efforts.

cheers,
Charles.http://www.lakesideraceway.com/
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Sun, 22 May 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, basically the PRSC are a pack of liars. In feb 04 the LMRE made a proposal to the PRSC to operate Lakeside under a Trust. At the time, the council members said it was a great idea and they should meet at a later time to sort details. Then they have dragged it out for all this time and now they have gone and tried to get the Heritage listing removed.

They are trying to put a due date on it. Due date being 5 years, and after that the raceway can be rezoned and then demolished. The council will make it any zone other than motorsport Confused

They said they couldn't get a clear reason why they are so against it as their previous reasons of water pollution and noise had later been revoked.

The council also contradicted themselves by saying that car enthusiasts are a minority group and then saying that they receive requests daily from motorsport people wanting to use the track Rolling Eyes

The LMRE are going to put some dot points up on their website to write letters about. They have the contact details on who to send to. I have already emailed before but they said to send a letter as it is easier to just delete an email.

They have also sent a letter to Peter Beattie asking about the heritage stuff but no response as yet.

Basically, all we can do is continue to send letters to lying bastard politicians to piss them off so they can see how many of us want the track reopened. And if they don't, then we will have no alternative but go and drop skids out the front of their houses Razz j/k
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Sun, 22 May 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yours sounds better charles Razz
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Sun, 22 May 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but yours...
Quote:

basically the PRSC are a pack of liars.

cuts to the chase Laughing Very Happy

and this bit:
Quote:

Basically, all we can do is continue to send letters to lying bastard politicians to piss them off so they can see how many of us want the track reopened. And if they don't, then we will have no alternative but go and drop skids out the front of their houses

is the call to arms Laughing Cool
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: Lakeside Raceway Q&A Open Day - Sunday, 22 May 12 midday at Lawnton Showgrounds Sun, 22 May 2005 22:46 Go to previous message
Went to the meet on Sunday and ended up becoming a member. Once again local council is screwing over the people they are meant to represent. The track is not only of concern to the PRS but to every Queenslander who doesn't happen to live near Willowbank. Basically the PRSC is making a decision that affects people outside of their area of responsibility. The track should be managed by a state level authority for the greater good. Start writing letters to the individuals listed on the Lakeside Raceway site in the Tell the Politicians section. Just my two cents.

Cheers, Hodgie.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cruise to gold coast
Next Topic:AE86 CRUISE TO QLD DRIFT DAY 21st (sat)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:54:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069169998168945 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.