Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
myTA22
Regular

December 2002
Spray painting advice Sun, 29 December 2002 13:07 Go to next message
Hi Everybody,

My brother in law and I started spraying his Datsun 1600 today and have come across a few dramas in the process. I am hoping someone might be able to tell me what the hell is going on. We are using an acrylic gunmetal grey thinned in a 1:2 ratio i.e. 1 litre paint to two of thinners, we are painting at 30psi. The problems that we have come across are:

- we are on the third coat and there still appears to be patchy areas
- the paint is kinda rough
- the gun has a bizarre pulse to it although everything is clean and tight

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are going to have to leave it till Wednesday now before we can put the final coat on. Then we will be putting the clear coat on.

Thanks for your help and advice

Daniel
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Spray painting advice Sun, 29 December 2002 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Start by using a real gun! I've got one you can borrow if you get desperate. When spraying, you should start by covering your repair patch areas with a couple of coats, followed by several coats of colour - My Celica wears 7 coats in total.
Check the spray pattern of your gun - it should be a nice uniform band. A pulsing gun still sounds like it's blocked in the nozzle. The paint consistancy should be thin enough to freely run off the mixing stick, adjust your thinner percentage to suit. Remember, the amount of thinners needed will also vary with the temperature you're working in.
If you're worried about the paint surface before you put the clear on, rub it back with 600 - 1200 wet and dry, when the paint is dry, wash down with prepsol, and spray another coat over it. Another trick some people use is to spray a coat of pure thinners over tacky paint to allow it to blend together better.
Are you going to spray acrylic clear over it? If so, not too much worry. If you plan to use an Iso Free Two Pack, remember to spray over the acrylic paint while it is still tacky to touch dry, for a better bite with the clear coat.
Clint!
myTA22
Regular

December 2002
Re: Spray painting advice Sun, 29 December 2002 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate, it's Daniel. Are you on ICQ at the moment?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Spray painting advice Sun, 29 December 2002 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep! Think your avatar should show all the hard work and long nights I put in to getting you and your car to the church on time too!
myTA22
Regular

December 2002
Re: Spray painting advice Sun, 29 December 2002 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just going in to ICQ now. Mate, my avatar would exceed the capacity allowed if it showed the ass busting you did to get me to the church on time
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Spray painting advice Sun, 29 December 2002 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, would send you a pic of me passed out in bed, after working on your car, doing the Twilight Trial Navigation Run, Changing into my suit on the side of the road to the whistles of the timing girls, Racing from the hills to your wedding reception, the impromptu tour of Northbridge and Perth for your sister after the reception (and no, nothing happened!), ..., but I was asleep at the time! Sorry!
myTA22
Regular

December 2002
Re: Spray painting advice Sun, 29 December 2002 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you're right. We might have to keep using the current mix we have (we only have about a litre left). Once we have run out wet and dry it and then get another litre or so and mix it to the correct ratio and then put a nice wet final coat on prior to the clear. Would you mind if we borrowed your gun on Wednesday?

I have tried getting in to ICQ and it wont let me Sad
myTA22
Regular

December 2002
Re: Spray painting advice Sun, 29 December 2002 14:10 Go to previous message
Hheheheheh you did well mate, and hey cmon! you should be thanking me for those girls whistling at you on the side of the road Wink I think after teh conversion you did on my car you have been scared of 3T-GTE conversions havent you Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Attn: Oz Craig
Next Topic:Roll Center Adjuster?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 16:06:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056779384613037 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.