Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Ebay Coilover Kits - how good?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bbq_chickenwing
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 03:48 Go to next message
anyone tried the ebay coilover kits? They seem very cheaply priced...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ewItem&item=7975882286&sspagename=ADME%3AB %3ADS%3AMT%3A28
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That particular one is cheap because it does not include the strut or dampener.
They are just "coilover springs"
According to the text of the sale you need to have KYB GR2 struts to be able to use these springs and hats.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take careful notice of the postage price, I've seen some cheap coilovers with postage of $50US within the US (the one you posted doesn't seen that bad)
bbq_chickenwing
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few of them on Ebay - sure they are similar:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ewItem&rd=1&item=7975655558&category=3 3586&sspagename=WDVW

This one has top hats, wrenches, washers and sleeves and springs. If you ignore the shipping...$100 for these compared to the $270 of the last group buy...of course I would trust 'koni' over these ebay items, but $170 is a large difference considering you get the springs as well!

What you guys think?

Toobs wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 14:43

That particular one is cheap because it does not include the strut or dampener.
They are just "coilover springs"
According to the text of the sale you need to have KYB GR2 struts to be able to use these springs and hats.

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want coilovers go and buy a "proper" set of coilovers... i.e. the whole strut including dampener, strut, spring, hats etc.

The only reason I can see for wanting these sort of dodgy coilovers is if you wanted the novelty of raising and lowering your car easily.

Also the "Racing Dimension" set appears to have the lower adjustable spring seat mounted with one or two allen key bolts... I don't really like the idea of such small bolts holding your car up off the ground.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 18:41

If you want coilovers go and buy a "proper" set of coilovers... i.e. the whole strut including dampener, strut, spring, hats etc.

The only reason I can see for wanting these sort of dodgy coilovers is if you wanted the novelty of raising and lowering your car easily.

Also the "Racing Dimension" set appears to have the lower adjustable spring seat mounted with one or two allen key bolts... I don't really like the idea of such small bolts holding your car up off the ground.

For some people its not an option to buy a 'proper set of coilovers' man. Have you ever seen a set of coilovers for a MX62 cressida for example?

Maybe things like MA70's, S13's etc but not really the older stuff.
Smile

They are good for a few reasons, you can change the ride height, can get more camber adjustment (the springs don't hit the car body) and also the fact that if you want to change springs they are much much cheaper.

I agree the alan key securing method seems a bit lame.

Cheers
Wilbo
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry this is gonna sound harsh but...
they are cheap for one reason, they are cheap. The problem with these kits is that they have aluminium bolt on sleeves which are shit because after a couple of times resetting the height you will stuff the thread. You also have to look at why you want coilovers in the first place, just for some 'bling' or you actually intend to use the car for competition use, doubtful if you are even considering these. But if that is the case then use the koni or noltec sleeves, and get the quality steel sleeves welded to your strut body. I put shit like this in the same category as under-car neons, fast and furious style. If you want to hear it from someone else, then go to a suspension shop and ask what they think of bolt on coilover kits. They probably wont even talk to you.
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollin_stock I actually made them myself, it was NO KIT!! I used very good quality steel!!!NOT BOLT aluminium sleeves.....AND my car sees 1% road use the rest track. http://img262.echo.cx/img262/4860/10092548vu.jpg
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry rollin_stock wrong post thought you were having a go!!
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
170bhp i understand, Razz . Very nice by the way, but your little helper spring looks like its in a bit of pain. Very Happy
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cars on the ground though isnt it, sorry... Rolling Eyes
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile yeah poor thing everytime I put the car down after being jacked up it squeals and squeals Mad
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah mate, that's with the car on the ground. the springs are 250lbin with 8 inch free length, If I got a new set made up in 9inch free length I wouldn't need the helper. but they seem to work alright, since I fitted them the main coil hasn't come out of their seats, only happened when on two wheels Razz
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats it, any more noise from you and you can spend the rest of the day in the shed.
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Two wheel madness!
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha ha yeah.....or they're going to get thrashed unmercifully Razz
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey your in Adelaide, so am I what do you drive?
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Ebay Coilover Kits - how good? Mon, 23 May 2005 10:03 Go to previous message
I got a little rolla ke10, ive been building up as a club car for hillclimbs and meets out at mallala, also got a stocker datsun 1200 sedan. The rolla's costing me an arm an a leg at the moment so i gotta slow down and get to things like paying the bills! I just spent $500 on the fuel system with pump and lines and kits for the dellorto's, spent another $700 last week on bushes and springs, still havent got my koni's. Never ending battle with the wallet and my partner, she just doesnt understand Confused
and urself?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:spongie brake pedal
Next Topic:Cracked MA70 turbo manifolds
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 10:25:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062649250030518 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.