Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » now you must all think I am really dumb Mr2 owner

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTMR2
Occasional Poster

May 2002

now you must all think I am really dumb Mr2 owner Mon, 17 June 2002 08:50 Go to next message
Hi all

Have just about completed the conversion from 94 3sge to 91 3sgte in an SW20 MR2. Now we beleive the turbo air flow meter is all hacked up. After bringing the car to my mechanic and he noticed that I had a spare higher flowing larger throttle body waiting to be bolted on the 3sgte he said that their was an extra sensor on my aftermarket throttle body that could possibly eliminate the use of an air flow meter(which will save me buying another air flow meter)...???

What the hell is this extra sensor on the larger throttle body??? Is it a map sensor??? I thought the map sensor was a device all on its own..what the hell does my mechanic mean?

As you can see I am lost for words......and most definetly curious.

regards,

Richard Taranto - 0402 844 698
richard@satworld.com.au
  Send a private message to this user    
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: now you must all think I am really dumb Mr2 owner Mon, 17 June 2002 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are three types of sensors that can measure air flow of fuel/ign calculations; MAP sensor, AFM (air flow meter), and TPS (throttle position sensor).
There are also two types of TPS... one is a switch, the other is analog. The switch type is used with either MAP or AFM, the analog style is used by itself.

Normally MAP sensors are not mounted on the throttle body, so he is probably talking about a analog TPS.

The problem is not many ECUs have the option of using other types of flow meters than the one it was made for. But i dont know the details of the 3S ECU, so i cant comment on that.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: now you must all think I am really dumb Mr2 owner Mon, 17 June 2002 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, he'd be talking about a potentiometer throttle position sensor, but I'm not aware of any factory car that uses one of these soley for engine load calculations. Usually they use MAP/TPS/air temp or some kind of air flow meter. Most aftermarket ECU's have a facility to calculate load with a throttle position sensor, but thats generally only for big ported rotors/himalayas cams with stuff all vacuum. Nissan and Delco ECU's can me made to run with different load sensors than intended, but far as I know the toyota ones like yours are the (dont quote me!) jap bosch D jetronic copies that not too many people seem to go near the innards of... Although I'm pretty sure you can get an Apexi PowerFC for 1uzfe, 2jzgte and 3sgte's. About time I stopped babbling Freak
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: now you must all think I am really dumb Mr2 owner Mon, 17 June 2002 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are different types of Air Flow Meters. One is the flap-door thing (forgot the name - common on older Toyotas), another is the hotwire type, and there are others. A MAP sensor is common on newer Toyotas.

If you are changing your air-flow/load sensor type, you need to change or adjust the computer also.

The TPS can not be used as the main load sensor.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: now you must all think I am really dumb Mr2 owner Tue, 18 June 2002 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
richard,
sw21 turbos all run an afm AND a map sensor. you cannot just remove the afm and expect it to run - not without fitting an aftermarket efi system anyway!!!

T
ST191
Newcomer

May 2005

Re: now you must all think I am really dumb Mr2 owner Mon, 23 May 2005 07:26 Go to previous message
Hi

I am Albert fr M'sia, I just start the project convert 3SGTE to my SW20 non turbo...

I had purchase half cut SW20 (3SGTE)Manual transmittion..

Can I use back my original AT gearbox???

thanks
rgds
Albert
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Painting Plastic
Next Topic:how to identify supra gearbox
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:27:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044300556182861 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar