Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 22 May 2005 10:44 Go to next message
Hi all.

Just looking for confirmation - my 1g-gte is missing on boost now, looks like it's losing spark because if i'm driving next to a wall I can hear it missing and the fuel being burnt in the exhaust (the popping noise). It it like a rev cut but much lower in the rev range. It doesn't appear to happen in 1st gear, or if it does, doesn't happen until i'm ready to change up to 2nd. In 2nd, hits a considerable amount of boost then starts spluttering like it's cutting the spark.

I suspect it could be the leads from dizzy to spark plugs... they are a good 20 years old! My coil > dizzy lead is brand new.

So am I looking at potentially new leads or could it be elsewhere? The car starts fine, idles great, cruises around alright, it's just on boost.
  Send a private message to this user    
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 22 May 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it miss when you are on the accelarator or off it?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 22 May 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you regapped to 0.8mm?

Otherwise yes, look into the perishable ignition system (leads, rotor, cap, plugs).
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 22 May 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cap and rotor are ok, checked those recently... havent touched the leads from dizzy to plugs Smile

It misses while on accelerator - when it requires the most ignition power.

Plug gaps are as they should be.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 22 May 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Things in the ignition system can just 'die'

Do you happen to have someone nearby with a 1GGTE that you can swap parts?
Ignitor etc?

Test the leads too, check all the plugs.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 22 May 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nobody I can think of nearby with the parts Sad Thats the price I pay for a not so common engine Smile

Might just replace the leads anyway... 15-20year old leads can't be the best. But since it seems to limit the car so much I am tempted to point my finger at the ignitor/coil package.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 22 May 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 7m missed at idle- but was fine throughout the rev range and still produced a lot of power...

turned out to be the headgasket. probably not on the 1g, but probably worth getting a comp check just in case Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 22 May 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MY gen 3 1g seems to misfire when it's getting to 0 psi in between vac. and boost
it's most likly unrelated to your problem but i'm hoping it's the same thing as yours(what ever it may be) .
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 22 May 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are using iridium or platinum plugs this will happen when you try to run a bit more than standard boost , Best plug is Denso K20PRU .

Trevor
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 23 May 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just using normal NGK plugs... none of that fancy stuff Smile I have checked them a few days ago and they were perfect.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 23 May 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a massive electric shock off mine so i think it's time to replace the leads
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 23 May 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All non shielded leads will give you a shock.
Most leads will give you a shock at the boot at the dizzy end.

But if they are originals, replace them.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 23 May 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you got a mulit meter you can test the resistance of the leads they will all not be the same because of the lengths but they should be close
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 23 May 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah i'll just replace them, removes that from the equation!

Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 23 May 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha
sounds like you got the same problem I had with my gen 2
it's not leads, it's not plugs, nothing to do with spark...
it's FUEL CUT !
we worked that out on the dyno by having a test light in the injector output of the ecu, and watch how it "missed" as soon as you hit boost, just at about 5000rpm.
I replaced everything with gen3 setup now and haven't had any probs since,
just something to think about
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 23 May 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But why is it going on now... my car has been running fine.

Might check the injector output on the ECU, the IEBC will give me an idea of what is going on with it after all.

But really, wtf is this shit! Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Tue, 24 May 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm the injector output seems to be there still. It just doesn't feel like a fuel cut. I have been fiddling with the ignition a bit, however I cant see what could have caused it.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Wed, 25 May 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could it be bad fuel?
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Wed, 25 May 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is word for word what was happening with my 1G and i ended up replacing
1 TPS
1 ignitor/coil pack
1 set of leads
water sprayer on IC
1 efi pump and low press
now when i changed these items there was instant improvement to find the problem return. Mad
Then i find the problem does not occur in the cool of night? Confused

Now i live in Darwin and temps here can be brutal 35 day 19 night
so i am looking at intake temps at being the culprit so far.

Does your car do the same at night?

Ta Guy Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Wed, 25 May 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine happens anytime anyday... it is always 20°C or less here atm.

I'm gonna replace the fuel filter and see if things get better.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Wed, 25 May 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought i'd check the spark plugs again (I like to be thorough I guess?) and found something interesting on plugs 1 & 3. This of course would be a far more effective post if I had a digital camera handy.

Both plugs were very black. This includes the thread which holds them in!! This got me thinking... "how would they become black? That isn't normal!" so I can only conclude that under boost the spark plugs were not holding the seal well enough, thus the popping and misfiring. At least I hope this is the case. Regardless, i'm going to buy new plugs and make sure the sealing surfaces are all in good shape. I am also considering buying some new leads so I can be 100% sure it's not ignition.

On a side note, the timing was out by roughly 4-5° from what I could tell. Fixed that, made no difference. Will buy new plugs tommorow night, and hopefully I can source new leads for friday!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Wed, 25 May 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a pair of very black carbon fouled spark plugs in my 1G-GZE and it was my injectors leaking off cycle.
You have had yours tested, cleaned, balanced and tested again, fitted with new baskets and 0 rings, yes ?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Wed, 25 May 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not recently enough, no. However this friday I am free to run around doing things however I imagine i'll be challenged to get the injectors anywhere without them in the car Smile

Plus the fact that the thread on the spark plugs is carboned up really suggests to me that the seal was bad!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Wed, 25 May 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Granted.

Just passing on my experience on the off chance that it may help you mate.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Wed, 25 May 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know, and I thank everyone for the help thusfar (and in the future!)

Getting new plugs tonight I hope.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Thu, 26 May 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you need some help with the ignition system, I've had HEAPS of experience fucking with my ignition system. That said, it's now mostly, well, actually, ALL aftermarket, but parts of it were originally toyota.

I tell you what, a new set of leads would work wonders, it's incredible the difference it makes to the throttle response when you replace them. Well worth the money.

That said though, I have a good set of standard leads you can have here for REAL cheap. They were on my motor before i replaced them, and they are in good condition.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Thu, 26 May 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Called Rovparts in adelaide, they priced leads for my car (8mm magnecor) for $220!! I mean, they're good, however I think i'll try spark plugs first Smile

Stadlater, thanks! I'll keep the offer in mind while i'm testing things Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Thu, 26 May 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fixed it, seems the ignitor wasn't getting a good ground or something, all good!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Fri, 27 May 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could that possibly be from when you moved it to the other side of the engine bay?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Fri, 27 May 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorta, not initially, was when he moved it slightly again to make more room for AFM.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Fri, 27 May 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup... I moved it again, and it happened (well, I assume it caused it).

It's now better grounded thats for sure.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sat, 25 June 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok it's back Sad

It was running ok, boosting nicely plenty of power, then all of the suddern I changed into 3rd gear, hit about 4000rpm and it felt exactly the same as before.

With some greek driveway rev tuning in the upper rev range I could hear and feel the engine struggle a bit on the initial press of the throttle, and the distinct smell of unburnt fuel.

I have played with everything ignition possible to fix this except for the distributor. I have new leads on there, the ignitor/coil package is extra grounded this time Razz and it is sitting horizontally. I checked all the wires out too, especially the ones I added to move the ignitor/coil, and they were all good.

Starting to get annoyed... starting to think i'll need to take a look at the distributor and maybe knock sensors.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 26 June 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since nobody has replied i'll just voice my own ideas.

Since the problem seems to not have been fixed by playing around with the ignitor/coil maybe I should be looking elsewhere instead. Might check the distributor over, and check the TPS, injectors and every wire that i've even looked at.

Stupid electrics.
v8xc
Regular

March 2005
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 26 June 2005 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you running standard boost levels and how are you increasing boost pressure if you arent?

A bleed valve will boost spike compared to an electronic boost controller which will stop spiking and hold the boost pressure at whatever level you set it.

My mates Subaru Liberty Turbs just has a bleed valve and it spikes a fair bit of the time. If you're running at the absolute maximum amount of boost pressure and it spikes while on boost, it will fuel cut and splutter.

Best way to see that is to watch ya boost gauge while under hard acceleration.

I watched my mates car today. It was set at 12psi, which is the absolute max for his standard turbo set-up. I accelerated hard and it hit 12psi and jumped up ti 13psi and the car spluttered and cut i and out until i backed off the accelerator. Turn it down to 10psi and it spikes up to 11psi and doesnt cut.

Worth a shot.

Let us know how u go with that.

Mick.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 26 June 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do have a jaycar boost controller, however it is inactive currently (ie. solenoid is always open).

I will try to remove it completely I guess, hopefully i'll get some results from that. it hits about 12psi max, which leaves plenty of head room.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Sun, 26 June 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh, fuel cut on the 1G is a good 1-2 seconds of complete engine shutdown - not just spluttering Smile
RG65
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 27 June 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like the same problem i had with mine. i went through plugs,cap,leads,checked the rotor,igniter and a few other things. i ended up scraping it all and going multi coil, i had an aftermarket comp that made it easyer.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 27 June 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will fix this!!

Today my mate drove me into work, and on the way home he called me. He reported that the car died completely.

I'm gonna go over the wiring tonight very carefully - I believe that is where the fault is.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 27 June 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like an earth issue again, but a different one.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 27 June 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not, It is possible.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 27 June 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What did you just ask?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 27 June 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't Confused
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Mon, 27 June 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Error codes 24 & 34 popped up today. 24 we can ignore for now since I had the AFM unplugged while testing something, however 34 on a gen 2 1g-gte means there is a problem with E2 or Vc shorting with E2...... Might be a result of the AFM being unplugged, but I plan on trying to replicate this today after resetting the error codes.

Oh, and thismorning it was a total slut to start - took a good few minutes of cranking... why do I get the feeling an injector has died?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Tue, 28 June 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 07:58

Oh, and thismorning it was a total slut to start - took a good few minutes of cranking... why do I get the feeling an injector has died?

Then check Razz All it takes is a screw driver, and that said, it will drive perfectly fine on 5 cylinders Razz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Tue, 28 June 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Code 34 is overboosting dude, or WTA error.
You sure its not code 32?

Inwhich case it will come on with AFM unplugged.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Tue, 28 June 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was looking at diag codes, and it shows code 34 can also show as code 32 (Repository document).

I have played with things a bit today, and got it working.... for a bit. Boosted nicely. Then it spluttered and died in the arse. Hard to start afterwards too. My mate had the same thing happen yesterday and the car was hard to start thismorning after a good 16 hours of sitting around.

I am starting to think it's AFM or injectors. I have disconnected the IEBC as this taps into the injectors for their duty cycle thinking it might be a part of it. When I did this it worked for that one run then spluttered again.

Any ideas? Confused
v8xc
Regular

March 2005
Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Tue, 28 June 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure the injectors arent leaking. Sounds to me like its a mix of overboost and overfuelling. Best way is to chuck it on a dyno and get it tested/checked over.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Missing on boost (1G-GTE 2nd gen) Tue, 28 June 2005 14:59 Go to previous message
Will be looking at injector cleaning once we've finished a 20v into AE92 conversion.

Meanwhile, more testing!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz-gte engine
Next Topic:Accelerator Cable - KE55
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:59:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088951587677002 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.