Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
*quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Mon, 18 October 2004 01:36 Go to next message
I have lots of meat on the pads
(though they are the pads that were imported and came with my calipers.. so they cold be heaps old)

I have had the rotors machined recently, and the rotors feel good

so what left? bad bearing? it is a realy nasty kinda creak/grindy noise

bearing is the only thing I can think of.. as CVs dont' sound like that. it does it once per revolution of my wheel.. but I can't make it do it when it's off the ground Sad

thanks guys
  Send a private message to this user    
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Mon, 18 October 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wheel bearing loose? no load = no squeak. load moves hub enough to scrape pads or gring the bearing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Mon, 18 October 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers dude

hmm hub nut is tight as

so something in the bearing then?

poop more work
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Mon, 18 October 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you wiggle the hub around, even tho the nut is tight?

is it hard to pull the hub off and inspect the bearing races?
have someone roll the car while you sit next to wheel and hear sound to locate it better?

does it sound like solid contact/grind? or more like creaking?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Tue, 19 October 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok we just rolled it and I tried to locate the noise

it SEEMS to be further in as opposed to right at the hub there

do driveshafts creak???????

I can't wiggle the hub
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Fri, 29 October 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok I have just replaced the entire bearing in the front left wheel.

didn't go away!

so mad.

any other ideas? what about the bearing on the drivers side driveshaft? the big circular one in the middle.. could that cause it?
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Fri, 29 October 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this noise when braking?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Fri, 29 October 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
worse when breaking

but present even when rolling

I have about 70% of my pads left (but they were imported pads.. ie.. the ones that came with the gt4 calipers from jap.. so maybe they are rock-territory????)

but I really don't think it sounds like them
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Sat, 30 October 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duz it kinda sound like the wheel is turning out of round?

and goes crrreeeek when your going realy slow or pulling up to traffic lights and turns into more of a scraping noise at about 60k
duz the brake peddal pulse?
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Sat, 30 October 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it go away when u brake real hard?

it could be ur brakes man. in an old car u most likely lost some shims and anti squeak clips etc...

try taking them pads out, grease up all the contact between metal and metal of the pad and caliper. then go for a drive see if it reduces the noise
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Sat, 30 October 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it goes creeeek creeeek creeeeek when I go slow

and grindy when I brake Smile

I got every single shim and pad there is to have in there, but I will grease up all those links good idea

note! it gets WAY worse when I have been driving for a while... hrmmm
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Sat, 30 October 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it still there if you remove the pads and spin the hub?

Get a cheap ass $25- set of pads from super cheap and try it.
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Sat, 30 October 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My turbo maxima was making the same noise worse at slow speeds and when braking,Turned out to be the D/S wheel bearing

You can change the bearing but it won't make a pinch of shit difference Coz by the time there making this noise it usually means that the hub is stuffed

I take it your car is low, This will make your front end parts wear quickly
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Sun, 31 October 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the bearing replaced.. and with my car the whole hub assembly has to be redon (I think)

there isn't much too it but it is driving me insano

you can feel it through the floor too..

the mechanics told me who I went to that it was the bearing..but I guess they were wrong.. hmm

Edit: if you just spin the wheels with no load you really don't hear anything much frustratingly hehe

[Updated on: Sun, 31 October 2004 02:16]

85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Sun, 31 October 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I had the one replaced in my Max the mechanic picked that the bearing went back into the too easy, on closer inspection he found that the hub where the bearing goes was worn this cannot be repaired and fitting a new bearing was not going to fix the problem and that it would just stuff the new bearing

I think that your mechanic did not pick this up and has fitted the new bearing into a worn hub

All the symptoms that you describe sound exactly the same as with my Max
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Sun, 31 October 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is worn try to get some "speedy sleeve" from CBC bearing etc. heat up and fit to hub to resleeve to correct or next size up
Worelock
Occasional Poster

May 2005

Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Mon, 23 May 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a similar problem in my AE92.
And like you its driving me #$%#ing insane.
I guess Im gonna have to pull the hub off and check my bearings out too...but if you find the answer please post it.
You might save me tearing whats left of my heai out.

Paul
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Mon, 23 May 2005 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hubcap retaining clip & flexing wheel.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Mon, 23 May 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also found it was due to a correctly torqued, but not tight enough hub nut
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Tue, 24 May 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
find a flat bit of concrete, make sure its clean of solvents and/or oils {prolly not garage}, and take the pads out and give the face a small rub on the ground so all new surface material is being shown, try that,

and lube your caliper pins, they are the ones that have the little bush over it, the ones that so when u take the nut off to remove the pad it lets the 2 halves of the caliper swivel

i had a similar problem, the pins were dry cause of the deteriorated rubber boot, and i made the caliper kinda jam sideways, and let the pad rub, after a 150k drive the brake pad was smokin Shocked

U MUST USE A BEARING TYPE GREASE ONTHE PINS

dont just hit it with WD40, make sure u dont get the grease where the pads touch the rotors, or u will be in trouble

do it now
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: *quicky* creak/grind from ft wheel once per revolution - what is it? Tue, 24 May 2005 12:52 Go to previous message
My corona has the exact same thing, but i know whats the problem there tho.

the rims are wide, and when i balanced the wheel i put the weights on the inside of the rims, when my car is not jacked up, the weight slightly touches the upper balljoint, i cant hear it if the car is jacked up tho... since i get a bit diffrent pressure/angle on the wheel.

ur suspension is prolly a bit diffrent, so i dunno if its possible that something like this can happen there.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3T-GTEU in a TA22?
Next Topic:7age pinging
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:10:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057070255279541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.