Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Idiot Relay Question ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon5.gif  Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 02:46 Go to next message
I have been brought up to speed on how relays operate in my '+B1' thread, thanks for that.

Finally question is, when a relay energizes and the switch closes, does that switch need to have power going through it in order for the device on that circuit to operate ?

Or, does it draw that power from the other side of the relay, the one that is now energized and has closed the switch ?

I think my problem is that while the relay is clicking nicely when 12v is applied to it, and the circuit on the other side is closed - there is no power running through it so nothing happens.....

Your advice for this electrical idiot is appreciated.
Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure exactly what you mean, but here are two points:

Even if your relay is clicking right the circuit it is controlling may still not be working. For example if you are looking at a fuel pump relay, the relay may click closed, but if the earth wire on the fuel pump is hanging free then the fuel pump wont run. Despite the relay working perfectly.

And the two circuits of a relay are totally isolated. You can have the switch closing and opening all you want, but unless you have power and a device (or earth and a device) connected to the switched output then it is pretty pointless.

Hope that's some help.
Hen
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you're right, there shoudl be 2 inputs for the solenoid that closes the switch and then 2 inputs for the switch (on a normal garden relay)

they should be isolated from each other...

edit: lol henn got there first Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2005 02:58]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys - well done.

Henn, you got there first, by 2 minutes....and you have helped me work out why my S/C does not engage. While I have power to the energized side of the relay when the ECU says lets engage the SC, ('magnet' powers up - switch clicks shut) the switch side of the relay has a wire that goes to earth and a wire that goes to the S/C which does not carry any power, hence no SC engagement.

Beautiful !!!!

Thanks again.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't think they made idiot relays?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 11:41

http://www.7uh.com/uploader/uploads/retarded.jpg

Sorry, poor joke...
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 13:51

stradlater wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 11:41

http://www.7uh.com/uploader/uploads/retarded.jpg

Sorry, poor joke...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

AHAHAAHAHAHA
GOLD!!11!!!!1!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now, tell me this. You've identified which side of the relay is the magnetic/switch side. Now, have you checked the other side to see whether the earth is actually earthing properly and the other side is getting 12V? If not, can you work out where each of the connections is broken?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, easy on guys, it was supposed to be a lame joke.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I set myself up with the "Idiot Relay' subject - well done by me, and a top joke as well Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Now back to the subject:

JCMF, yes I did check the other side of the relay and found it had an earth wire (white/black stripe) that earthed, and a wire that goes to the S/C clutch (green w/white). At the S/C clutch there is a second wire, 1 inch long, that earths in the S/C housing.

Now, if I hook up that relay earth wire to power, when the relay closes power will go to the SC clutch which will earth by that short wire.

I did away with the relay, put its power from the loom plug direct to the SC, and then let the S/C clutch get activated (earthed) by its control wire from the ECU.

Got the engine warm, revved it up and yay !!!!!!!!!!! s/c engaged. Went for a spin, S/C works - yay !!!!!!! First time ever. Idiot grin on face to replace idiot relay.....
10 mins into drive S/C does not engage anymore - drive home, check CEL, get 22, found that the water temp sensor plug was loose and had fallen off, back on, another drive, no boost at all. Battery disconnected for a while, still no change, so I am thinking of making the S/C cabin switchable if the ECU is going to continue to not play the game.....and send the signal saying the S/C can be engaged. No CEL codes now, so I don't know what the ECU's problem is now...
Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mitch,
would the relay be the same as the one on my motor(1G-GZE gen 3?)?
i have the engine loom it just got cut at the firewall by the looks of it.

maybe you could swap mine in and see if that makes a diff??

i can drop it round sat morn /or you can come have a look if you like...

cheers
Dom
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Tue, 24 May 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dom,
Its very likely the same relay on your motor as well mate, and hopefully it was not hacked off like the other wires at the firewall.
And thanks for the offer too.
I will learn more by seeing the original loom in place on your motor, so please don't take it off, and I will try and get over to your house sometime this weekend.
Now that I have found my missing boost I need to work out what happened to make the ECU take it all away Sad
Cheers,
Mitch.
Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Wed, 25 May 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no worries mate i will be home preety much all day sat so just give me a buzz.

cheers
Dom
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Wed, 25 May 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 15:38

I set myself up with the "Idiot Relay' subject - well done by me, and a top joke as well Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Now back to the subject:

JCMF, yes I did check the other side of the relay and found it had an earth wire (white/black stripe) that earthed, and a wire that goes to the S/C clutch (green w/white). At the S/C clutch there is a second wire, 1 inch long, that earths in the S/C housing.

Now, if I hook up that relay earth wire to power, when the relay closes power will go to the SC clutch which will earth by that short wire.

I did away with the relay, put its power from the loom plug direct to the SC, and then let the S/C clutch get activated (earthed) by its control wire from the ECU.

Got the engine warm, revved it up and yay !!!!!!!!!!! s/c engaged. Went for a spin, S/C works - yay !!!!!!! First time ever. Idiot grin on face to replace idiot relay.....
10 mins into drive S/C does not engage anymore - drive home, check CEL, get 22, found that the water temp sensor plug was loose and had fallen off, back on, another drive, no boost at all. Battery disconnected for a while, still no change, so I am thinking of making the S/C cabin switchable if the ECU is going to continue to not play the game.....and send the signal saying the S/C can be engaged. No CEL codes now, so I don't know what the ECU's problem is now...

Umm, not sure if that was the best I idea hooking it up like that. How much current does the magnetic clutch try to sink? It may be too much for what I suspect is a piddly little gnd on the ECU?

Why not set it up with the relay? Its not rocket science as far as I can see....the SC has GND already, so you just want to switch 12v to it when the ECU gnd's the signal line...easy. 12v to once side of the relay (the one with the switch in it) should goto the SC, the SC already has its gnd so thats sorted. Then 12v to the little black box in the relay and the ECU line on the other end of the black box should make it all work....or am I missing something here?

Cheers
Wilbo
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Wed, 25 May 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilbo,
You have not missed a thing here and you are 100% correct.
The more I read about relay's the more I realised how important it is to have one where it was, and seeing as how I lost boost later on while test driving the car, I will be refitting the relay and doing it correctly this time.
The way you have described it is spot on. What threw me originally is that this power supply wire for the SC from the relay is white with a black stripe and I assumed it was an earth.
Am I best to just pick up any 12v source downstream from the fusible link on the battery for this feed ?
I already have +B1 supplying the relay coil and that is in line with the ECU S/C on ground signal.
Cheers,
Mitch.

Edited for spelling and clarification - hope I spelt that correctly.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 04:50]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Wed, 25 May 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just go straight to battery and put a 30A fuse inline.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Idiot Relay Question ? Wed, 25 May 2005 04:47 Go to previous message
Yes, good point, its the best power source and it will get a dedicated fuse to protect the S/C magnetic clutch.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 04:48]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Removing Pinstrips
Next Topic:POD with Heat Shield --- Still = Defect ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:05:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041918754577637 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.