Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » My New Head Unit Arrived !!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SteveGt4
Occasional Poster

May 2002

My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 02:53 Go to next message
Woo Hoo ..

Finally I have gotten the Head unit I have been waiting for.

Kenwood DPX-6020. Double Dim Unit.

http://www.kenwood.com.au/car3.asp?gid=1&cid=2 4&pid=266

Now to put it in ...
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dosent play mp3s tho!

Allan
SteveGt4
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't want one that plays MP3's ..

Seen and heard a few and they just arn't up to scratch yet.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dewd. Playing MP3s on your system would be sacrilegious...
Mentor
Regular

May 2002
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you hear the difference between a MP3 and CDA while driving ??? I didn’t know about you but with the road noise I get from my car I can never tell and I am one who can't stand MP3's they are one of the shitest sounding formats around

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2002 05:20]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on what rate you encode your mp3's at aswell even at 192bps thay are very hard to pick from cd and much better then radio! and its awesome not to have to change cds on a trip!

Allan
Mentor
Regular

May 2002
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even at 320kbps I still think they lack definition when played through a good home HIFI Razz
SteveGt4
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have mainly 320kbps ones and when played on a good stereo you can not only hear the degradation of quality, but also there are various pop noises etc through the files.

Also the MP3 players currently have to build a database everytime you put in an MP3 CD and this takes a little time. I'd rather be a little quicker and have decent quality sound.

Mp3's are fine at home on my computer, but I don't want one of these pop noises to blow a sub or something else on me thanks.

Mentor
Regular

May 2002
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pop's ???? That would be caused by a shitty encoder maybe or by the CDROM trying to read CDA faster than the CPU can encode it, I'm guessing
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a good encoder is most important! allwasys play the wav file before encoding too!

Allan
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon9.gif  Popping noises Wed, 15 May 2002 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Running out of CPU cycles when encoding... That's what is the usual cause of the popping in MP3s.

But, yeah, as I said, it'd be sacrilegious on your system... Even at 320kbps.
SteveGt4
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well .. all popping and such aside .. I still prefer to use proper Audio CD's as they definately sound better.

Mentor
Regular

May 2002
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
standard DVD audio 24 bit @ 98k sampling now that sounds good Up To Something
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dire straits said it well "I want my MP3" Very Happy

Allan
SteveGt4
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm .. Got DVD in the car now .. Sounds awesome !!
Mentor
Regular

May 2002
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.kenwood.com.au/car3.asp?gid=1&cid=2 9&pid=119

I think I'll pass, $2,000+

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2002 06:29]

SteveGt4
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah .. saw one today when I picked mine up. I have a 5" screen moulded into the dash and a Playstation2 under the seat. That way I have DVD .. and Games all in the 1 !!

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
DVD Wed, 15 May 2002 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone release music in DVD format yet? Apart from the normal concert shit...

Hmm... 5.1 channels...
Mentor
Regular

May 2002
Re: DVD Wed, 15 May 2002 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get DVDA witch has no compression but you'll pay $2,000 for the player or you can import standard DVD in DTS from the US but I don’t think they have that here as there is no one that has the DTS encoder in AU
SteveGt4
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few Music CD's out. Not many that actually use the capabilty of it though.
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: DVD Wed, 15 May 2002 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DVDA... i guess this is new technology, not what i think it is Razz

What do i think it is? *Hint* Orgasmo!!!! Very Happy
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG, ROFLMAO
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I can say is MP3 rock. 7 hrs (possibly go to 10 hrs without repeating a song with my collection) non stop music all the way on a trip without changing any CD (though I was running a notebook to play the music) is a big relief to kill off boredom.

It all depends on how much of a "music freak" you are. I personally aren't too fussy and even 128kbps is enough for me.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:58]

HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know how much data an mp3 cd can contain? how does it compare to MD?

Mp3s rock my world cos i have over 63 hours of music on my comp Smile

SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MD has the same quality as CD. It all depends on how you record on it. Some MD have Long play but that decreases the bit rates so achieve this.
SteveGt4
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Wed, 15 May 2002 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An MP3 CD is basically just a data CD. So it would be 650 or 700mb. Usually you would put a playlist file in the root directory.

So if an MP3 averages at say 4mb (128kbs) and goes for 3.5 minutes, you could fit 160 songs or about 9.5 hours of music on a CD.

Don't get me wrong. I like MP3's. I have 57 cd's at last count full of mp3's (mostly full albums). But for quality sound gimme a genuine CD anyday.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  MD quality Wed, 15 May 2002 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu wrote on Wed, 15 May 2002 8:26 PM

MD has the same quality as CD. It all depends on how you record on it. Some MD have Long play but that decreases the bit rates so achieve this.

MDs are definately NOT the same quality as CDs. Don't get me wrong, I love them, I even have an MD head unit, but the compression is a lossy compression format called ATRAC. I can't remember the bitrate that they're encoded at but from what I remember, an MD will hold 120MB of pure data.

If you're really interested, check this article.

AFAIK, long play MDs are mono. This gives you twice the amount of recording time...
Pranky
Newcomer

May 2002

Re: MD quality Thu, 16 May 2002 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just adding my 2cents to this convo, using a mini notebook in the car to run mp3s to my stock headunit/speakers, and well yeah its pretty dodgy setup but it works so im not compliaining. I dont relaly mind mp3s either, 5gig worth sitting on my laptop so plenty to choose from.

also about MD LP recording theres 3 types, the old md recorders had this mono thing to double what you could fit on a md. The new ones use a different codec with a lower bitrate to fit 150min for LP2 and 320min for LP4. LP2 is stereo (LP4 imnot sure of thou) and some people probably would say it sounds worse than normal MD recording but I honestly couldnt tell the difference.

Also im out to buy a headunit and was wondering if anybody knew any cheap places I could goto to get a JVC KD-SH55 or KD-SH707.
(i need the aux in for the laptop Smiley =

Anyway sory for the long post.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: MD quality Thu, 16 May 2002 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pranky wrote on Thu, 16 May 2002 10:49 AM

Also im out to buy a headunit and was wondering if anybody knew any cheap places I could goto to get a JVC KD-SH55 or KD-SH707.
Try JB HiFi. It's one of the cheapest around. It's on Church St in Parramatta. Along the strip where all the cafes are (near the Riverside Theatre).
Pranky
Newcomer

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Thu, 16 May 2002 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aight thankyas nark Smiley =

For installation any recommendations?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Thu, 16 May 2002 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do it yourself. Smile

It's the best way to ensure the quality of the installation. And it's not that hard. As long as you know how to read a wiring diagram and can use a soldering iron...
Pranky
Newcomer

May 2002

Re: My New Head Unit Arrived !! Thu, 16 May 2002 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soldering iron?

whats a soldering iron Smiley =

ahah well i "sorta" can solder... but then again i did get 6% yearly assesment for year 10 electronics....

HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: MD quality Thu, 16 May 2002 05:25 Go to previous message
i agree with nark..... anything that is compressed digitally will lose some sound quality. That is why a WAV file is o bloody big and an MP3 file is tiny. Try this is u have a discman. Choose a clear track, listen to it, then turn the anti shock on. You should hear a difference (well i can anyway)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Here we go again
Next Topic:wtf
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 09:16:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006605863571167 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.