Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
oil level warning light Tue, 24 May 2005 03:26 Go to next message
Hi all

any thoughts on why my oil level warning light did not turn on when my car had nearly no oil in it?

I pulled the cluster out last night and the globe was fine and so was the circuit.

Thanks in advance
Jono
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: oil level warning light Tue, 24 May 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The oil level sender units I have seen use a "float" type device and given the small amount that the ones I have seen actually move I don't think it would take much gunk on them to cause them to stick. That would be one possibility???

It shouldn't be a wiring issue because if the wire has broke or been disconnected your light should be constantly on.

The oil level sender is usually not too hard to remove (don't know about a GT4 though) so it might be worthwhile checking everything else first (which it sounds like you have) and then remove the sender and test that.

Good luck.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2005 03:32]

Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: oil level warning light Tue, 24 May 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huh? i've never heard of oil level warning light. are you sure you don't mean oil pressure. the oil gauge in my st162 is definietly oil pressure.

i haven't even seen an aftermarket oil level warning light.

i've seen cars with little oil in them and the light still doesn't go on. i guess as long as the oil pick up is below the oil level at all times it wont do damage - not that i'd recommend letting it go low
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: oil level warning light Tue, 24 May 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know my GT4 (ST185) doesn't have an oil level light.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: oil level warning light Tue, 24 May 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you mean low oil as in none on the dip stick?
cos mine had no oil in it (yeah, none at all, it seized this morning Rolling Eyes ), and it took a litre of oil to get it just touching the dip stick Confused
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: oil level warning light Tue, 24 May 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the owners manual I got with my car it say that there is a low engine oil level warning light in the bottom of the taco section of the instrument cluster. Looking at the back of the cluster as well there is a globe in the corresponding location.

There is also a low oil pressure warning light on the left hand side of the cluster.

I think this is the last of my problems now as the SOB won’t turn over. Sad

I pulled the AFM off this arvo to try and find out where 3+L of oil had gone in 4 weeks (which I found some of it in the AFM and piping) and when I put it back together the car would not restart any thoughts?

YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: oil level warning light Tue, 24 May 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skellator
Just like that and condolences on the engine
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: oil level warning light Tue, 24 May 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plenty of cars have oil pressure AND oil level warning lights.

Only you guys with GT4's in your hands can tell us if they have them though.

YGT-04A does you car not turn over as in looks like it's seized Sad

Many years ago I had a car run low on oil, light came on for a second. Topped up the oil to the correct level and drove another 100km home. Next morning engine was seized, hope this hasn't happened to yours.
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: oil level warning light Thu, 26 May 2005 03:15 Go to previous message
ke382TG

the engine is not seized I got it running again last night Smile the problem was a low battery due to my alternator dieing Sad
my car is mow in at Neal Bates getting it fixed and a good service and tune

again thanks every one for all the help
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra23 conversion, really confused
Next Topic:22re questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:10:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041000843048096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.