Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 00:56 Go to next message
Hi, guys. i was after your thoughts on bar and plate VS tube and fin intercoolers.what would be best to use as a front mount on my 3sgte fwd celica?

The car ins't ever going to see boost over 15psi, and it will be kept mildly stock (daily car).

Now i know i'm probably going to get flamed for this question for a number of reasons but which (if one more than the other)will give the best "flutter" noise? have less lag, and will cool better?

The IC in question Core diamentions are 520x230x80, from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=32624&item=4548803253&rd=1

Are these Intercoolers reasonably price do you think?

Thanks Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

which (if one more than the other)will give the best "flutter" noise?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Just run no BOV for teh bestest flutter noise, fully sick Rolling Eyes

The intercooler choice will have no bearing on the "flutter" noise as it is compressor surge that gives that ghey sound. Not something that you should actually want Rolling Eyes

Quote:

have less lag

With reference ONLY to intercoolers, lag will be greater on intercoolers with larger volume, less volume fills quicker = less lag.

Quote:

and will cool better?

I have seen way too many comments on both types (mostly from people whose closest experience with a turbo car is walking past one in a car park) of intercoolers. Do a good search on the net and find actual tests data to help you make up your mind (the info IS out there) or be lazy and take the heresay and rumour that will mostly fill the responses to this thread.

Quote:

The IC in question Core diamentions are 520x230x80, from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;a mp;category=32624&item=4548803253&rd=1

Are these Intercoolers reasonably price do you think?

I didn't bother to look but I will guess that it is one of the Chinese made Hybrid type coolers or something similar. A lot of people seem to be useing them on low to mild boost applications with success. I haven't seen an actual problem arise from them yet.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply, from ebay the seller writes:
THIS IS A CLONE OF THE HYBRID INTERCOOLER, MANUFACTURED FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER WITHOUT THE "HYBRID" EMBOSS, EVERYTHING IS IDENTICAL QUALITY.

So going by that it "should" be of decent quality.

I've also been reading www.ARE.com.au website for the last 1/2hour, so i'm working out the differences. Tube and fin sounds to be quite good, thats what i have now aswell.

my IC is starting to split down the side again Rolling Eyes its been welded up once now..

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

my IC is starting to split down the side again its been welded up once now..

And to what do you attribute this failure? I think that your answer may well be relevant to the topic.

I use an ARE (adrad) tube and fin core - my understanding is that tube and fin cores flow a greater amount for a given core dimension, whereas bar and plate are more thermally efficient.

Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well my IC is splitting on one of the side tanks. The IC is a standard sw20 unit that was front mounted onto my celica.

I'm pretty sure its just age that made it crack. it has support brackets on the side to stop the inlet/outlet pipes from bending or being put under strain, but it still cracked right near those spots.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and bar & plate tend not to fall apart when a rock hits them Smile

oh, and if you choose to do your own research (prolly not, but giving you the benefit of the doubt) don't listen to what any sellers say. people who sell bar & plate always say it's better. People who don't sell bar & plate will always say there's no difference.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice draven.

The only thing the seller mentions is the "benifits" of having an intercooler, and the sizing etc.
He doesn't compare the two types against themself. (bar+plate/tube+fin)

A mate put a bar/plate 600x300 on his RS liberty and he noticed quite a bit of lag compaired to his topmount STI ATA cooler, but boost came ON much stronger.

Also according to his LINK hand controller the intake temps were lower too.

What do most people use?

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine is bar & plate, which is what I would have gone for even if it wasn't $100.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust162 wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 20:54

Thanks for the advice draven.

The only thing the seller mentions is the "benifits" of having an intercooler, and the sizing etc.
He doesn't compare the two types against themself. (bar+plate/tube+fin)

A mate put a bar/plate 600x300 on his RS liberty and he noticed quite a bit of lag compaired to his topmount STI ATA cooler, but boost came ON much stronger.

Also according to his LINK hand controller the intake temps were lower too.

What do most people use?

i would assume the lagg would be attributed to the longer amount of piping required and the physical size of the i/c core

i will be using a bar and plate i/c but not for any reason in particular

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:27]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Wed, 25 May 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mines bar and plate.

With reference to your mates car, as mentioned above it would have been the increase in the length (volume) of the intercooler piping that increased lag, not the type of intercooler construction.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Thu, 26 May 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks for clearing that up. the piping on ej20 motors is quite long...thats for sure.

since i already have IC piping going to the front bar i shouldn't really notice much more lag with new core,becuase the lag is "mostly" created in the piping lenght?
subsonicaudio
Regular

July 2004
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Thu, 26 May 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok bar and plate are more effective at cooling the carge however will hinder air flow to your radiator. tube and fin will allow the air to flow pat the cooler easier but wont cool the charge as much
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?? Thu, 26 May 2005 02:40 Go to previous message
the flutter noise wont happen if u have a vane type afm , the one with the metal flap inside it Surprised
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:22re questions
Next Topic:20v exhaust
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:13:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057289600372314 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.