Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » how long does ur turbo timer stay on for?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Tue, 24 May 2005 13:42 Go to next message
i drive a stock 165 gt4, and my turbo timer stays on for 3 mins, how bout u?
  Send a private message to this user    
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Tue, 24 May 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they normally have buttons so you can select the duration yourself. from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. doesnt yours have a setting ?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Tue, 24 May 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3 mins sounds short
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Tue, 24 May 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would have thought 3mins would be plenty? I dont let mine idle for too long.
dorifto_vip
Regular

November 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Tue, 24 May 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all depends on how long and how hard you have been driving.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 23:45

3 mins sounds short

Are you talking about turbo timers or sexual encounters?

3 mins is more than enough time if you're running a standard turbo... esp a Toyota CT26 water & oil cooled unit.

I give my car about 30 seconds to cool down most of the time... 2 minutes if I've been thrashing it.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note: with a water cooled turbo a turbo timer is really only useful to give the turbo time to stop spinning.

With all sleeve bearing turbo's the shaft is floating on a film of oil... if you shut the car off whilst the turbo is spinning the oil stops flowing and the shaft can cause damage to the bearings.

Unless you've got some sort of NASA technology super bearings its not going to take more than 3 mins for your turbo to stop spinning.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I usually leave mine for 2 minutes if I've been driving sensibly, 3-5 if it's been given a thrash (depending on if I put the bonnet up during cool down)
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A turbo always spins right up to shut off unless you have a whopping turbo which does not make boost until big rpms even my to4 spins at idle on the 18rg so 3 mins is heaps unless its glowing hot then 5 mins is OK. Oil does not dissipate that quickly to allow beaning damage the oil on shut down does more cooling than bearing protection from friction. Some large machines use a storage tank above the turbo to allow a flow of oil on to the bearings after shut down but its not necessary old technology.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:50]

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i usually have mine set for 1 min, but i drive like an old lady and rarely hit boost! but on a hard session 2 minutes at most. It also depends on how much boost yer running aswell ?? aswell as how hard u drive it
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my greddy one i have set at one minute, but it automatically puts itself up for longer if it needs to after a hard drive.

Once when I went on a long hard drive down the old pac, stayed on for around five minutes... just bumps the time up itself if it needs to it seems
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have heard about them.. they learn how long to stay on depending on how u drive ??
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 11:20

i have heard about them.. they learn how long to stay on depending on how u drive ??

think so. after a long hard drive, it stays on for ages.

I've just putted down to the shop before, like only 1km or so away, at like 30-40km/h (traffic)

and it's turned the car off in 30sec or less... presumably because I didn't hit boost at all.

But I've now set a minimum time of one minute.

Shame all the instructions are in japanese though.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are english instructions downloadable from the gReddy USA website
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I set mine for 3 mins cuz there are stickers on metro buses telling the drives ti idle the bus for 3 mins before turning off.
any longer and you have to wait ages to put fuel in
nico
Regular

January 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On my TA22 3tGTEU, the old school turbo timer i was told...
upto 1min for a quick round the block trip
3 min for casual driving
5 min for fast and hard driving like on tracks.

3 min sounds right for everyday driving.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might turn mine up to 2 minutes then.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends wat turbos u have and how hard u drive. there is no point having it on for 2 minutes if u barely use the turbo.. i set it for 1 minute as a reassurance, i barely hit boost and if i do its only 2psi, the 7M seems to have enough grunt without needed the turbo espically on city driving. That turbo timer that learns tho sounds like a cool idea.. how much did it cost ?
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a greddy full auto turbo timer.... receipt says $139 if i recall correctly
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you've got a big oil cooler and radiator you could get away with shorter times.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if im driving normally, hardly any boost, i shut my car off after about 10 seconds. If ive been driving hard, i just dont drive hard 3-5mins before my destination and then shut it off the same.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 10:33

3 mins sounds short

Are you talking about turbo timers or sexual encounters?

3 mins is more than enough time if you're running a standard turbo... esp a Toyota CT26 water & oil cooled unit.

I give my car about 30 seconds to cool down most of the time... 2 minutes if I've been thrashing it.

im not thinking of the turbo im thinking of the engine after thrashing it home from work i like to let mine cool down for about 5 mins.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:04]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car has a Greedy auto timer and most of the time in traffic driving it sets itself to between 1.30 and 2min. I went for a run up the F3 last night to Hornsby and it set for 3.40. I haven't seen it go below 1.20 even idling up the road towards home to start cooling earlier.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have heard of people just putting a temp sensor on there turbo and have it turn off the car when it is below a certain temp. would this work ok?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hear turbo timers are dangerous in a crash as they keep the fuel pump rinning this is enuf to make me not want to install one
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have an accident and cant turn the key off, the same thing happens

if i have an accident and im still able to turn the key off, i think i can press the button on the turbo timer too Smile
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say the best idea is not to worry about how long the turbo timer is on for, but to just go easy the last few minutes that you're driving. Driving around, having air flowing through the radiator and past the turbo will cool it down better than letting it sit there running due to the turbo timer.
There's a thread that had heaps of discussion on the effectiveness of turbo timers, i'll try to find the link.

Here it is:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=55196&rid=6125&S=5eb114dc5a9db84fed0fa29 68a6525e9&pl_view=&start=0#msg_511181msg_5 11181
It started off being a thread on BOV's but quickly turned to turbo timers. Have a read.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:19]

BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 mins sounds short

i wouldnt call this short, although would depend on length of drive and how hard youve thrashed it.. 3 mins is fine,
there are also turbo timers that can run off a thermometer sensor wich plugs in and it will adjust the time it stays on automatically depending on how its driven.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 18:59

if i have an accident and im still able to turn the key off, i think i can press the button on the turbo timer too Smile

this has happend to you before or are you just theorising
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Wed, 25 May 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i hear turbo timers are dangerous in a crash as they keep the fuel pump rinning this is enuf to make me not want to install one

Quote:

Wink

my t25 is water cooled, i hardly even bother to idle down at all when i am just cruiseing through town. stopped idling at the traffic lights, pedestrian crossings etc. the engine/turbo/oil has plenty of time to cool after the drive into town.
shit you can only go 60, and get busted for driving irraticaly if you go full boost in 1st to get there. Rolling Eyes
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Thu, 26 May 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought most modern ECU's turned the fuel pump off if the engine wasn't running for more than a few seconds.

I'm almost certain that mine flicks itself off after a short while of being on ignition while the engine is not moving.
something
Regular

May 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Thu, 26 May 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey i have one of those greddy timers and i got a flat battery and now it wont work it just beeps and has ATTK in the top corner does anyone know how to fix this not that i mean to hijack
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Thu, 26 May 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with cycleofabuse> you should stop driving hard for the last couple minutes of your trip.this way you dont have to leave your car idling so long. Agreed, the turbo is going to cool down better with the car still moving than with the car stationary.

Having the car idling for 3-5mins,sitting in its own heat is silly IMHO.
For the reasons i've mentioned above,i dont have a turbo timer installed in my car.

My 0.02c Smile
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Thu, 26 May 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for normal driving i just turn it off
for harder driving 1min30sec
thats what I have it set at.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Thu, 26 May 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 21:35

Merudo wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 18:59

Just a theory... haven't had an accident before.

But I guess if you still have the motor function of your arm to a capacity of which you can turn a key, you can also press a button to turn the turbo timer off

I don't plan on crashing soon to find out Laughing
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no need for a turbo timer
just wank factor there

just go slow the last 3 or 4 min of your drive and it will be fine
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

just wank factor there

Josh don't be sensible. You know that if you have a turbo car you MUST keep it on boost all the way to your driveway. Several stabs of the throttle as you go down your street are mandatory too as you want everyone to know that you have a turbo and BOV. Everyone knows that driving sensibly down the street won't earn you any respekt from teh gangstas in yo hood.

Another scenario: what if you are less than 3 minutes from home and a fellow street racer is dissin you in his v-tec honda, you just got to show him your boost and blow his doors off!

I think I have just shown you why a turbo timer is a must Josh Laughing
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always boost down my driveway !
I think turbo timers are easyer thant way i can lock my car and walk away.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EMP-2TG wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 10:38

just wank factor there

mmm... thats why i've got a turbo timer.... and thats why its hidden away from view unless you look under the steering wheel to see it... its all for the wank factor Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it that hard to leave home three minutes earlier and just sit in the car ad let it idle down. That or if you've been boosting it you'd get there early so the time you save you can sit and relax. Laughing
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 10:48

Quote:

just wank factor there

Josh don't be sensible. You know that if you have a turbo car you MUST keep it on boost all the way to your driveway. Several stabs of the throttle as you go down your street are mandatory too as you want everyone to know that you have a turbo and BOV. Everyone knows that driving sensibly down the street won't earn you any respekt from teh gangstas in yo hood.

Another scenario: what if you are less than 3 minutes from home and a fellow street racer is dissin you in his v-tec honda, you just got to show him your boost and blow his doors off!

I think I have just shown you why a turbo timer is a must Josh Laughing

Damn. You have just given me a good reason to go buy myself one. So I can be like every other tool with a turbo.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust162 wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 21:46

I agree with cycleofabuse> you should stop driving hard for the last couple minutes of your trip.this way you dont have to leave your car idling so long. Agreed, the turbo is going to cool down better with the car still moving than with the car stationary.

Having the car idling for 3-5mins,sitting in its own heat is silly IMHO.
For the reasons i've mentioned above,i dont have a turbo timer installed in my car.

My 0.02c Smile

Here here!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The thermo's will get some air flowing thru tho won't they ?
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
30secs is my usual setting, 1m or 1m30s if I've been "up it" within 5mins of parking it. My HKS tiimer came with teh car, and it's got the self-adjusting feature too. I think it taps into the ECU loom, and takes its data from rpm and throttle position.

Oh - any half-decent turbo timer will only arm when the handbrake is on, so that if ignition is cut it won't keep the fire lit.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 12:03

The thermo's will get some air flowing thru tho won't they ?

Yeah but probably not enough.
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Fri, 27 May 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 16:48

I thought most modern ECU's turned the fuel pump off if the engine wasn't running for more than a few seconds.

Yes

4agte wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 18:56

No
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Mon, 30 May 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 mins sounds short

When i had my GTiR the owners manual quoted 30 sec to 1 min for city driving and 2 mins for faster or highway driving.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: how long does ur turbo timer stay on for? Mon, 30 May 2005 07:02 Go to previous message
Mine was always set for 40sec.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what price should i ask for a ST205 rear diff
Next Topic:mx73 cressida wagon?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 22:35:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014357089996338 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.