Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Fri, 20 May 2005 14:03 Go to next message
I did a search for "BMW M3" thinkin it would have been talked about before...
From reading previous threads about how to tune an NA engine, involving computers, cams and headwork etc....

Using these factors how the hell is an M3 so damn quick, screwballs alot of turbo cars with fast reputations....

Is there a particular component/mod that is soo effective to give it the acceleration it has?
  Send a private message to this user    
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Fri, 20 May 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its German... Wink
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Fri, 20 May 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's expensive... Wink
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Fri, 20 May 2005 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its called being a rich mofo andbeing able to afford such a wonderous car.
I love vagina!!!11!!!111!!!111
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Fri, 20 May 2005 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure if I had $180k plus to spend on a NA car it could go as fast if not faster than the m3. however...handling would be a totally different case. none the less, any car that comes out of the factory with a Carbon Fibre roof deserves a Shocked Shocked
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Fri, 20 May 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carbon fibre roof???
Oh...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Fri, 20 May 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the BMW M-power engines are designed to breath and rev to very high rpms

is what years of racing engine development gives you.

aka BEAMS engine from toyota.

back to the M-power engines, (from memory) they have highly tuned induction system, high lift cams, well designed combustion chamber and piston tops, very rigid engine (strucurally) and components have a racing heritage but are built for longevity. Fuel system designed for racing as well as driving (i think the racing engines have ITB with trumpet injection - not sure about road-registered cars).

guy near me owns an early gen 6cyl M3 - sounds very horn - comes down our street on way home - in 2nd and (while staying in that gear) brakes at our corner, coming nearly to a stop then accels away - the engine smoothy revs (and generates power ) from idle and is highly responsive at any point.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zactly... BMW just put in more effort. the port sizing and runner lengths are 'just right' to achieve the balance they have.

there is a fundamental difference between german and japanese designed motors, with the germans focusing more on low to moderate rpm, but with very high efficiency, giving a wide power band.
japanese tend to look toward rpm, and do get similar torque numbers, but the powerband tends to be narrower, and imho, more fun to drive Wink

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it's fairly simple. As others have said, the M3 just has more time, effort, and expertise pumped into it. That's why it costs so damned much. That and you pay a premium for the badge. Compared to an M3, a Japanese built performance engine is just (usualy) crude power by slapping a turbocharger on there.

Ofcourse, said crude power is still pretty good. Very Happy

But then you can look at the NSX. It isn't as powerfull as an M3, but it's close, with similar displacement and in N/A form. Then look at the NSX pricetag too. It's obvious that Japan can make N/A revvers that are close to Euro performance, but they have to up the price too. N/A just costs a lot to make powerfull, unlike forced induction engines.
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 00:55

I'm sure if I had $180k plus to spend on a NA car it could go as fast if not faster than the m3. however...handling would be a totally different case. none the less, any car that comes out of the factory with a Carbon Fibre roof deserves a Shocked Shocked

only the CSL came with a cf roof...which is 65k more than the run of the mill M3 Cool
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the porsche 911 is another example of this german engineering train of thought ..

Gt3 911 = the monster NA 6

as well as anything m3
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id still rather a blacktop beams 3SGE worked of its nuts for 1/50th the price...
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mc68 wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 13:10

only the CSL came with a cf roof...which is 65k more than the run of the mill M3 Cool

This also the quickest, lightest and most powerful M3. Still NA and Damn gorgeous, despite me thinking it shouldve come in traditional manual instead of the SMG thingy!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fezza 360 = teH win
teknoboi
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the nSX is underrated... honda says it puts out 206KW but gee the toyota supra TT is said to also put out 206KW( but actually more like 230kw) ppl have dynoed NSX and its more like the 250-300kw mark. the NA cars are just tuned to get their power from high revs

its like 8-9k redlines?
theres a few vids i got that have nsx m3 csl gt2/3 and ferrari 360s...

http://www.norcalevo.net/video/motegibattle.wmv
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got a vid of teh nsx type R driven by gaan san against lambo's on motegi speedway, the lambos have double the power but the nsx can hold its own due to its lieght weight, awesome race to watch
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best motoring CARRERA INVASION

http://store.driftingshop.com/cainbybmoin.html
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 14:52

mc68 wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 13:10

This also the quickest, lightest and most powerful M3. Still NA and Damn gorgeous, despite me thinking it shouldve come in traditional manual instead of the SMG thingy!

err quickest yes most powerful yes but lightest no the orignal E30 M3 were much lighter than even the CSL, oh an if you wanna get techinical there are more powerful version that probably released in europe in small numbers to allow them to run in production racing classes, the csl is not that great an extra 65K gets you lets see a whole 9kw, better suspension brakes that still aren't as good as a GT3 as they are large rotors but only single piston caliper. If you bought an M3 and did mods yourself you could end up with a better package, most of the CSL speed around the track comes down to the semi slick pilot cups that it runs, this is the biggest difference between it and the normal M3, comparing to even a GT3 with good sports tyres the csl was around a second quicker around eatern creek and the difference was put down to the tyres.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 13:57

Fezza 360 = teH win

Bzzt...close.

Fezza F430 = TEH WIN Razz
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lotus elise = teh win,

go teh celica powah

Eldar.O.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 18:35

lotus elise = teh win,

go teh celica powah

Eldar.O.

Pssht, sif. The is a whole lot of difference between the Ferrari engine and the damn Elise/Celica engine. Toyota pride or not Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fezzas aint german - thats cheating!

And sorry - lotus elise MAY have an awesome power to weight but even the celica motor thats been tricked up in it has NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING compared to a m3 , porsche or even a " fezza " motor in development
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try to wrap you head around an alise with a beams 3sge or a 3sgte or some sort bolted in, im sure that if you could get traction you would beat any "fezze" "jezza" or "stezza" whatever the fuck, perrari, porsche, lambo, vauxhall, beemer, none of them could keep up.

under 700 kilos, with 400+ turbo horsepower pushing it, you wouldnt have competition.

Eldar.O.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your going to do that you might as well whack it in a clubman

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Sat, 21 May 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You probably wouldn't have traction either Razz
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Mon, 23 May 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys. My mum has an E46 M3. very nice car, I purchased my blacktop 20v and so far it was the fastest car I had driven (Im only 19 so I havent had much of a driving history) she let me take her M3 out for 30 min for a good hurt, and I mean HURT. Snapped it into second down an onramp to the highway, these cars fuckn fly!! I wont mention the speed I was going on the forum but, the power of the car was just so unexpected from sutch a modest looking car! plus I live in a hilly environment so she let me give the handling a test also. no disapointments there with handling. like the expression in pretty woman "It corners like its on rails" WHAT A BEAST! the rev speed is the same in 6th gear as it is in 1st!, there is torque all the way through the rev range. anyway enough babling. Its a fast car!

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Mon, 23 May 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

M3 would go soooooooooooo much better with an 18RG.

From Jumbo Jets to Jet Skis, all go better with an 18RG! Wink

seeyuzz
river
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Mon, 23 May 2005 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice to see a mum that drives a M3 instead of a 4wd Laughing

If you don't mind me asking what line of work is mum in, to afford such a beast? Cool
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Mon, 23 May 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 22:52

Hi,

M3 would go soooooooooooo much better with an 18RG.

From Jumbo Jets to Jet Skis, all go better with an 18RG! Wink

seeyuzz
river

At least keep the same no of cyls

Go teh 5M11!!!1
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Mon, 23 May 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speakin of tough engines how about the new M5 Very Happy 500hp at 8000rpm from a 5lt 10 cylinder engine Shocked Shocked sounds like fun to me Rolling
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Mon, 23 May 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh there is a host of 5.0L v10 all putting out the same power gallardo m5 etc, its the way of the future. Mind you the m5 runs 298kw normally and only when in sport mode produces 373kw or whatever.
It pips the lamborghini for torque so its a pretty darn good engine. I credit bmw for sticking with a good na instead of going the merc way, and the bimmer ain't much slower and its power can actually be used as the mercs just have to much torque that it all goes up in smoke.
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Tue, 24 May 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My parents run an import business so that drags allot of the $$$ in. We have a BA GT and an XA GT Coupe(voted the best car in WA in street machines) I have been told I can take the BA GT out one day... cant see it happening my dad loves the fords to much Rolling Eyes
187_20v
Regular

October 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Tue, 24 May 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh M3 are wicked car
one of my friends brother has one
it got a aftermarket cpu and an exhaust
my god !!!
i got 2 drive it
the car pulls so much but his one had like a turbo lag in the lower revs but when it goes it goes
the thing screams
fastest car i droven so far

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Tue, 24 May 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get widt teh high-RPM sikness peeoples. It's HAAWWT ! ! !

Teh mighty M3 has engine :

3,246 cc 6cyl in-line front engine with 87 mm bore, 91 mm stroke, 11.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder
- Multi-point sequential injection fuel system
- Main 63 liter premium unleaded fuel tank
- Power: SAE and 248 kW , 333 HP @ 7,900 rpm; 262 ft lb , 355 Nm @ 4,900 rpm

And BOY does it have ENGINE ! !

Note the 3,000rpm spread between Max. torque and Max. Horsepower. Thats the uber-flexibility for ya. Note also the longish stroke. BMW claimed piston speeds at Max. RPM close to that of their F1 engine when the M3 was released in 2000/01. Not bad eh?

Like the guys said ^^^^ It's all in the refinements, hardkore design, strong & lightweight (expensive) components, all of wich allow REVS and AIRFLOW - the N/A holy grail. Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Tue, 24 May 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
figures are wrong for power has 252kw and 365NM of torque
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Tue, 24 May 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 20:03

Sorry - I just cut&pasted from a website. Phreakin impressive numbers per/Litre in anycase.
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Tue, 24 May 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo lag? do you mean he has turboed it or he just doesnt get low-down pwr. whats wrong with the ECU you get with the car. Why do you think BMW spent all this time and money to fine tune the car to the point it is! I hope he hasnt got anyone except BMW to tune the new ecu Surprised
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Tue, 24 May 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 20:12

Sorry - I just cut&pasted from a website. Phreakin impressive numbers per/Litre in anycase.

f20c in the s2000 has better power per/ltr numbers than the m3 motor
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Tue, 24 May 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 21:41

st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 20:12

f20c in the s2000 has better power per/ltr numbers than the m3 motor

Yes, but the M3 engine has a better power curve, a better torque curve and produces more Nm/l.
187_20v
Regular

October 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh it doesnt have much power down low
mayb he doesnt service it at all i think
he said it had an aftermarket ecu but didnt ask why he changed it and that
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think some people have the wrong idea about the M3 when they say stuff like, give me 180k and i'll make a quicker car.
the reason why the M3 is so expensive, handles so well and goes so well is the amount of time in engineering that goes into these cars. everything is a total package.
who cares if you can get a 20k car and spend 100k on it to make it faster than an M3, the fact is you wont have an m3, and it will never be worth as much as an m3.
when you drive or passenger one of these cars, (M3, 355, 360, SL55amg, gt3, and yes, i have been in all of these and driven the m3&355) you'll work out,and see yourself the amount of engineering these is in them, and why they are such good cars.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
45aken wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 18:17

i think some people have the wrong idea about the M3 when they say stuff like, give me 180k and i'll make a quicker car.
the reason why the M3 is so expensive, handles so well and goes so well is the amount of time in engineering that goes into these cars. everything is a total package.
who cares if you can get a 20k car and spend 100k on it to make it faster than an M3, the fact is you wont have an m3, and it will never be worth as much as an m3.
when you drive or passenger one of these cars, (M3, 355, 360, SL55amg, gt3, and yes, i have been in all of these and driven the m3&355) you'll work out,and see yourself the amount of engineering these is in them, and why they are such good cars.

indeed Nod
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If only I would be so lucky!
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just thought of this, in regard to the title question: moth balls! Laughing
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More German goodness, The new Audi RS-4 309kW or something around there 4.2 litre v8 they built it to beat an M3 apparently *shrugs*
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
45aken wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 18:17

true true i totally agree BUUUT

u can make a variety of cars handle, accelerate and stop better than them for a hell of a lot less than wot these cars cost

plus u get coolness of the car being urs and individual cos u made it wot it is not some else

aaaaaaaand every car comes from the factory as a comprimise no matter how small cos they compromise to get the biggest amount of buyers with the dosh to buy their shit

so if u modify ur own car it will be how u want it not how they think it should be and if i had the choice of buying an a porsche for 350 000 or buy an MR2 (25 000) and spending 50 000 to make it a way better "drivers car" id go the mr2

but thats just me and the way i see things
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i totally agree to, and i have done the same (not with 50k though). but these 'supercars' (M3 not reaally a supercar, but you know what i mean) are designed for people with who dont want to muck around with cars. and with the comprimising, i cant really see what is compromised in such an expensive car. BMW pride themselves on making such good cars, without compromise.
also i dont know, and have never heard of a modified car, putting out that amount of power, that can be thrashed 24hr a day without fail, and has a similar power curve.

hows this: the new V10 M5 laps arounds oran park FASTER than a superbike.

Mercs had to but turbo's and superchargers on their motors just to keep up with BMW's N/A's

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:43]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

For the cost of an M3 I could have a stable of the following cars...

RA25 GT (oops.. got one already, but I'd buy another)
TA27 GT
TA22 GT
TA22 GTV
RA23 GT
RA23 GTV
RA28 GT
RA28 GTV
TE27 Levine

The best part of the day would be going out to my garage each morning and deciding which one to drive.

I'd also have a 12hour stiffy each weekend as I wash and clean those babies. Smile

seeyuzz
river
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offence man,
BUT then you'd
a)never have an M3
b)have 9 cars no where near the performance and style of an M3
c)have 90 rust holes to fix every year with rego hits!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well, yes... performance wise those cars cannot compete with the M3. But, I'm an old fart and not into driving around like a fool in a very expensive car just because the car is capable of going fast. For normal speeds, on our roads, even a Niki will be okay, and a classic GT Celica would be more than ample for my needs.

Rust holes.... not really, they're well made cars and if looked after they'll last a long time. Some of these cars are over 30yo and look mint and are rust free. I'd assume the M3 could last 30years, but can't comment until it hits that age.

Style! A classic Celica oozes more style and class than an M3 ever could. Ya see, I'm an old school lad and telling me the M3 has more style than a classic Celica is like telling me the new electric trains have more style than those wonderful old steam engines. Or the new Airbus has more style than the old Constellation propliner. Or the Space Shuttle has more style than the Saturn-5 rocket. Or the new shit-music we now listen to is better than old Led Zeppelin. No way. No way ever.

Just 'cos it's new and fast and expensive and has all the bells and whistles, doesn't make it stylish. So, you can have the M3 - I'll play with the old classics and we'll both be happy. Smile

seeyuzz
river

sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ Dude, The M3 is an awesome package for what it is...Try one before you choose all those old toyotas...even a E30 or E36 M3 will be great fun, doesnt have be to a e46.

my group A has little chance against my bros M3, Razz ...hear the sweet straight 6 and some crazy induction noise wizz past ya...But once i start modding my baby, the M3 has no chance..well to 100 anyway, then after that its a whole different ball game.

Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:03]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After seeing an E36 M3 at the drags, I have mucho respect, and damn did it sound good Very Happy
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Wed, 25 May 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

sikx5 wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 00:01

^^ Dude, The M3 is an awesome package for what it is...Try one before you choose all those old toyotas...even a E30 or E36 M3 will be great fun, doesnt have be to a e46.
Very Happy

You people seem to misunderstand what I'm saying or I wasn't clear enough in my posts.

I do not doubt for one second the performance or the overall impressive package of the M3. It is a truly magnificent vehicle in all respects.

However, for old charm and style, I think the classic Celicas (particularly the JDM GT/GTVs) are more attractive and have a certain undefinable look to them that, to me, exceeds those of the M3. Exceeds the looks of most cars - well certainly all new cars, but there are some old 60/70 classics that are just as nice looking.

Maybe when you're driving your Toyota and an M3 drives past you feel a pang of envy and think "I wish I owned that instead of what I've got". I don't feel that. I don't feel inadequate or envy. I'm more than happy with what I got and wouldn't change it for another vehicle (well, maybe a 1970 Ferrari Daytona - but that's another thing).

Perhaps a part of my feeling this way, besides the fact that I'm an oldie and like these older things, is that I own a vehicle that is more rare (in Australia and maybe other countries) than an M3. Maybe if I drove your bog standard Camry or Cressida or Celica I'd feel different. But I don't and there is a certain pride, joy and satisfaction in owning a great looking, rare JDM GT Celica that very few people in this country would understand. For me it's not all about performance.

Anyway, as I said earlier in this post, I do not doubt what a fantastic vehicle the M3 is. It's just I have a different perspective on what I like and come from a different point of view.

seeyuzz
river
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Thu, 26 May 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river i totally agree with you, everyone has there own style.

going a little off topic here, but i hate it sooooo much when everyone compares these 'supercars' 1/4 mile time with new turbo cars. my mates dad has a ferrari 512BB (boxter 12) and off the lights, the wrx kills it, even for a good 300m. but on the highway, when were both doing 120, and we both plant it, the ferrari will leave me like im standing still. (and the rex isn't exactly slow)
just saying that by no means should anyone compare these cars 0-100. it's all in the 150-300km/h bracket.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Thu, 26 May 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my unlce used to have a 512BB and raced it i got a picture of it at mallala i think nice car.
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Thu, 26 May 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 512BB is an amazing car. 100km/h in first no worries! all the new ferrari's are more 'zippier' whereas the old classics (512BB eg) are roar grunt. when your going up hills, because of the amount of avaliable torque EVERYwhere your like "hill? what hill"
sweeet

but i have to admit i love the new M3- will own one in the next 4 years no doubt
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BMW M3 - So damn quick! Whats "magic" in this NA motor. Thu, 26 May 2005 05:42 Go to previous message
the m3 the other night didnt look to fast
almost ran up the back of me tho Rolling Eyes

damn m3 driver got more money than sense
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:$22500 for an RA23
Next Topic:speedo playin up ra23
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:30:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079748630523682 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar