Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
ra23 conversion, really confused Wed, 25 May 2005 12:29 Go to next message
hey guys,
i have done a n engine conversion before but it was in a 323, i converted it to 1.8 turbo.
i now own a ra23 (after the 323 was stolen)
i am now considering doing a conversion on my celica but am lost... i want to know what the easy options are (anythign bolt in?) and what sort of power ill be looking at with different engines.. also cost, i was thinking in the 4k mark? is this too high or too low?

ill be useing a microtech ems, but not sure on engine. one of these?
- 4agze
- 20v corolla motor
- ca18det
- sr20det
- 3tgte, i dont know how readily available they are though....
- 1g gte?

opinions most welcome, thanks guys
  Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: ra23 conversion, really confused Wed, 25 May 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The 3TGTE are getting hard to get and a little long in the tooth, but they are a damn nice engine.

I think there's a 4agze (or someting like that) RA23 in the Club? BigWorm's?????? Not sure, but someone here will know.

But I think the 1GGTE would be your best bet for cost/performance. Check out Adelaide Jap Imports, they're selling a 1GGTE engine (I think). I saw it a few days ago while cruising around the net looking for importers.

seeyuzz
river
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 conversion, really confused Wed, 25 May 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gee coming from u river i dont know how u didnt mention the good ol' 18R-G or the 18R-GEU variant of the standard 18Rc.... Shocked

I know its nothing in the range of the newer motors out there for technology, and it seems you are after a turbo motor, but having owned a stock ra28 and converting to 18R-geu i dont put these motors out of the picture that quickly.. it bolts in easy as, your ra23 driveline all bolts straight up, and motors go for pretty cheap these days so building up a fairly tough n/a setup(cams, higher comp. pistons, mild porting etc) with a microtech could go well and not break the bank..

But in the end newer motors are really the go for reliability, so maybe the 1G, ca/sr20 are the go.. im not sure how ud go with ur budget, it could be possible with $4k tho.

most ppl say the 4A motors dont have enough torque unless turbo/SC for the ra23 body mass, but these motors have a huge array of parts available.

i sold my ra28 tho in the search for more power and now have a 3t-gteu ta23. There seem to be a few motors kicking around on the forums lately but everyone sas they are ageing a little. could be an option in your budget tho because it will still bolt in easy with crossmember and gearbox/tailshaft from ta22/3, limiting custom bits..

my 2c
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: ra23 conversion, really confused Wed, 25 May 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

blackRA28 wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 01:35

gee coming from u river i dont know how u didnt mention the good ol' 18R-G or the 18R-GEU variant of the standard 18Rc.... Shocked
my 2c

I know. I can't beleive it myself!

You're right though. The 18RG fits the RA23 like a hand in a glove and is an admirable power plant that's rapidly (if it hasn't already) become a cult engine.

seeyuzz
river
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 conversion, really confused Thu, 26 May 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go to a 1g-gte.

see
www.stradlater.com
for what you can cram into an ra23 engine bay
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ra23 conversion, really confused Thu, 26 May 2005 03:33 Go to previous message
Yep for cost effectivness, go the 18RG route, for cost effectivness and performance, go the 1GGE/1GGTE/1GGZE route, and to waste a dumpload of money, go anyhting else that takes your fancy?!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?)
Next Topic:oil level warning light
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 01:18:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046131610870361 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.