Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » No fuel??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 01:19 Go to next message
Hey guys,

When my car is at half a tank, and Im driving hard through right hand corners, the car splatters, and farts, till its straight again, im thinking its the fuel slushing around in the tank, Is this a common thing? And how would one rectify?? Surge Tank? I dont know how they work, or if its a costly mod.

Help much appreciated!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baffles welded into your fuel tank would solve this. I don't know how costly it is - The older Turbo A Supras had this to alleviate the issue you're experiencing

Or a surge tank! Very Happy

Dan

[Updated on: Thu, 26 May 2005 01:41]

1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not costly. maybe 150 for a surge tank. you will need another fuel pump. so theres probably another $300 there. or use your old lexus pump in the tank as a lift pump and get a vl turbo as an external. then you'll probably get out of it for $300 all up.

how does it work.

lift pumps lifts fuel from tank into a surge tank. surge tanks are usually short an narrow and you have the fuel out of it coming from tha back siude so gravity of a launch forces the fuel to the next pump and it then pumps fuel to the rail.

easy peasy.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys! Would the car be then drinking more fuel? (My mechanic ran off with my stock fuel pump Mad )
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most cost effective and least complicated solution is to get a baffle/well that surrounds your fuel pick up, welded into the bottom of your fuel tank.

This will keep fuel around your pick-up when you hit the twisties. These baffles differ in design, from the maze type to ones with holes drilled in the sides at various spots and of various sizes, that control how much fuel flows away from the pick-up while driving. Holes obviously allow fuel in when the tank in being filled too.

Find an accrediated fuel tank repairer to do the job. They will attach an approval plate to your tank to certify the work.

If yours is done like mine, a small square section of the tank directly below the end of the pick-up sock was removed, the well/baffle was welded onto that, and then that section was re-welded back into the tank, so the baffle surrounded the pick-up.

Are you sure you do not have an existing baffle in the tank orf that your existing fuel pump, if it is an in-tank one, is not one of the latest designs which see the pump sitting inside a canister / well that works to 'trap' fuel around the pick-up as the tank get empty ?
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NO only fuel flow will increase if the pumps you get are bigger and maybe watch pressure more flow same size lines could = more pressure. I tend to disagree with your theory ra23celica for starters welding in a fuel tank is so dangerous and finding some one that touches tanks is hard I wanted 1/2 inch lines in my tank and no one wanted to touch it. You can flush a tank all you want but fuel gets into the seems of the tank so when you start welding you heat the tank thus causing the vapours to rise from heat and boom next thing you remember is nurses looking at your half missing face. Surge tank all the way.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 May 2005 01:56]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 11:45

Most cost effective and least complicated solution is to get a baffle/well that surrounds your fuel pick up, welded into the bottom of your fuel tank.

This will keep fuel around your pick-up when you hit the twisties. These baffles differ in design, from the maze type to ones with holes drilled in the sides at various spots and of various sizes, that control how much fuel flows away from the pick-up while driving. Holes obviously allow fuel in when the tank in being filled too.

Find an accrediated fuel tank repairer to do the job. They will attach an approval plate to your tank to certify the work.

If yours is done like mine, a small square section of the tank directly below the end of the pick-up sock was removed, the well/baffle was welded onto that, and then that section was re-welded back into the tank, so the baffle surrounded the pick-up.

Are you sure you do not have an existing baffle in the tank orf that your existing fuel pump, if it is an in-tank one, is not one of the latest designs which see the pump sitting inside a canister / well that works to 'trap' fuel around the pick-up as the tank get empty ?

Thanks, can I ask how much it set you back (If you dont mind!!)
I have no idea if there is an existing baffle.
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lets think about this logically.

drop the tank takes 15 mins, change to a small standard lift pump, the one his mechanic took out. thats done in 30 mins

use his walbro and the next pump.

mount a surge tank 25 mins, buy some new fuel line and clamps say $40 max. job is done.

think about the amount of time to take the tank out. wait for the fumes to go away before welding, maybe a couple of days.

then get some one crazy enough to weld it. then pay some one to put it back in.

i think the logis speaks for itself here KOFFEE
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

then get some one crazy enough to weld it

Fark, never thought about that!!! Good point!! You up for the job? The only drop tank I know of, is J-Lo's ass!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This seems strange for a late-model EFI car; there should already be adequate baffling in the tank. Surge tanks are generally only required on cars that were originally carbeuretted. My 20yo Supra never surges, and believe me it sees its fair share of hard cornering!

Maybe you should check how your fuel pump is currently mounted in the tank, it sounds like something dodgy is going on.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People have died welding fuel tanks.

Surgetank all the way.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wait on new brain storm thanks to norbie Return lines only go half way into the tank your mechanic hasn't hooked up the two fuel line backwards has he.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the fuel pump relay and circuit is all working and earthed i used to have this in my RA40 before i fixed bodgy fuel pump wiring at the relay which was also wired by so called 'professionals'

anyways over bumps the fuelpump would sometimes lose power and the engine would stutter.

also norbie is correct, there shouldnt be much need for a new car to have a surge tank system put into it. it should be adequate already.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark, could be the dodgy mechanic again! The stock pump doesnt habe a return line, i dont know how it works, but we used the Supra TT pump, and we had to run a return line, so maybe something going on there..... hmmm
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the pump wont have a return line... and vl turbo , vl , and 88 exa's have the same fuel pump so dont go payin more because someone says its a vl TURBO pump
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 26 May 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was not talking about the pump having a return line. But the tank has to have a return line. Which pump did he take is it inside the tank or an external one.
normo
Regular

November 2004
Re: No fuel?? Thu, 16 June 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To weld up a fuel tank, drain flush then run a pipe from the exhaust of another car, there is not enouugh oxygen left for ignition. Guy down the road from where I used to work did it all the time. he is still alive.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: No fuel?? Fri, 17 June 2005 00:38 Go to previous message
normo wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 21:10

Guy down the road from where I used to work did it all the time. he is still alive.

Laughing

Gold!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v engine covers on 16v head
Next Topic:4age sumps, 3rib and 7rib the same?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:16:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097420215606689 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.