Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrisevans1985
Occasional Poster

March 2004
ke70 and ae86 Thu, 19 May 2005 11:06 Go to next message
is there any difference in the chassis from a ke70 to an ae86?

obviously 4 doors but they seem like they could have the same dimensions and so forth...

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
opiate
Regular

June 2003
Re: ke70 and ae86 Thu, 19 May 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty sure the chassis's are completely different, but an AE71 seems to have identical running gear to a 4ac sprinter...

no idea about suspension gear, but i know ae86 diffs bolt straight into ae71's, and they come with 4ac's and t50's.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: ke70 and ae86 Sun, 22 May 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same floorpan apparently, there was a pretty decent discussion about this a while ago, see if you can dig it up with a search
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ke70 and ae86 Sun, 22 May 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The xE7x probably have more upper strength since they have all that bracing up behind the passenger seat.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ke70 and ae86 Sun, 22 May 2005 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno if it's identicle, but very very close.
The seats are *somewhat* interchangable.

Alot of the front suspension are itnerchangable too.
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: ke70 and ae86 Thu, 26 May 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE70 bottom is same with AE86 in every aspect. KE70 can use the following from a AE86.

1) cross-member, be it manual or power steering
2) front suspension complete assembly
3) T50 gearbox
4) T283 rear axle
5) all the rear suspension / control arms, pan-hard rod
6) both front and rear stabilizer
7) lower arm, caster frame, strut top camber plates

everything ... proof ??? My website covers all mods listed above as well as Phil Bradshaw website and plenty others.
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: ke70 and ae86 Thu, 26 May 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just heading to ur site now 'Acoustic..

Did KE70 Rolla's come with power steering at all...??

If they did would a PS setup be hard to source, as opposed to one from an AE86.

&

Would this setup be able to be used in an AE86. (with 4age)

Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: ke70 and ae86 Thu, 26 May 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Drift 86

I've not seen any locally assembled KE70 (Malaysia) with power steering.

However japan has them, because some KE70 half-cut from Japan has 4A-G as well Smile and power steering.

Please note that the cross-member for manual and power steering are different and without breaking rules, we cannot install the power steering rack and pinion onto the manual steering cross-member.

KE70 cross member with power steering are hard to source in Malaysia, but don't know about Australia. Get AE86 ones there are the same anyway.

Errr last questions, yes I suppose, AE86 - KE70 - twins man.

DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: ke70 and ae86 Fri, 27 May 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mate...
JOSEFstyle
Regular

August 2004
Re: ke70 and ae86 Fri, 27 May 2005 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86 Expert told me , they are the same.

So, are you going to trade some KE70, 71?

Laughing
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: ke70 and ae86 Fri, 27 May 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A bloke who's sometimes around these forums drives a 4AGZE KE70 and they've retained the power steering pump (and aircon compressor) and used the levin rack. Not sure how it all bolts in but its a KE70 with power steering. Not sure why you'd bother either. He'll eventually rip it out and fit a standard 71 rack..

Then again its got the levin dash cut down to fit. so there is airconditioning and a nice new school dash as well..

KE70's run a different diff too. The KE70 diff has an 8 bolt rear casing whereas the AE71/86 diff has the pull out centre (much easier to weld Very Happy ).

Not sure on how they're designated though (the diffs), something like t series in KE70 and s series for AE71/86. Maybe the other way round.
KE70 and AE71 front struts differ from each other and both are different to AE86.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 May 2005 22:33]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke70 and ae86 Fri, 27 May 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE70 diff = bog warmer
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: ke70 and ae86 Sat, 28 May 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh forgot to mention KE70 chassis bottom can also bolt on AE86' 2 pieces propeller shaft with the universal joint in the middle bolting up to the chassis fitting 100%

Pre 82 (DX models) KE70 cannot use AE86's rear spring because it's slightly different, but can use the absorbers

Post 82 (GL models) KE70 can use AE86's rear springs as well as absorbers

Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: ke70 and ae86 Sat, 28 May 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
floorpans are different.

rear chassis rail under the back seats are different.

i learned this the hard way...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ke70 and ae86 Sat, 28 May 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 09:51

KE70 diff = bog warmer

KE70 diff = terrible Razz
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: ke70 and ae86 Sat, 28 May 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they last a while drifting in the rain. they don't like doing anything in the dry but Sad

they get pretty noisy when they are about to shatter haha.

back in the good old days with my stock KE
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: ke70 and ae86 Sun, 29 May 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So saying that......

The KE70 power steering set up (with the use of the levin/sprinter rack) is possible......

How hard would one of these set-ups be to source from a wrecker?

Id like to know more about the tech side of fitting it with the 4age motor and levin rack.....(was the levin rack PS or manual?)

cheers.

oops....think I misread ur post.... the PS was retained from the 4agze motor is what ur saying right?

so if a 4agze transplat was done into an 86 (which I have planned) it would be possible to use the PS system..?

[Updated on: Sun, 29 May 2005 02:54]

nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: ke70 and ae86 Sun, 29 May 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The KE70 power steering set up (with the use of the levin/sprinter rack) is possible......

no.

Quote:

(was the levin rack PS or manual?)

Power. As far as iknow you cannot convert a manual rack to a power steering rack. you can replace it.

Quote:

the PS was retained from the 4agze motor is what ur saying right?

yes. Most people normally just unbolt the power steering pump and aircon compressor from the block as they both run off the same belt (i think they did on the 20v). The people that did this conversion have just left it all on there and connected it up to some shit.

Quote:

so if a 4agze transplat was done into an 86 (which I have planned) it would be possible to use the PS system..?

The pump at least. I'm not sure which rack they have used but i would assume it would be the levin rack. Also not sure on how its mounted in there. Could just bolt up to where the standard one goes or could just be welded to the cross member or something.

I've got to ask why you would go to the trouble of pissing around with power steering?

Quote:

oh forgot to mention KE70 chassis bottom can also bolt on AE86' 2 pieces propeller shaft with the universal joint in the middle bolting up to the chassis fitting 100%

I can confirm this. Took me about ten minutes to get my fingers in around the exhaust, get a spanner up in there and bolt the bastard up. tight spot.

Quote:

they get pretty noisy when they are about to shatter haha.

Or when they have shattered Laughing

[Updated on: Sun, 29 May 2005 22:23]

DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: ke70 and ae86 Mon, 30 May 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated..

and to why Id bother...

well if its not to difficult I would like to have PS coz my sprinter is heavy as.... manual steering.....8" wide front rims...small diameter steering wheel....4 turns lock to lock ect..... PS would be nice....

I'll have to look into it more I guess........ at the moment Im trying to figure out the best way of setting up my steering by way of a few different mods.....PS could b one of them.
syncro
Regular

October 2004
Re: ke70 and ae86 Mon, 30 May 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 1987 daihatsu charmant back home in ireland which is daihatsus version of the ke70 corolla, i fitted almost everything from a rusted out corolla gt coupe(ae86 4age) engine, box, prop shaft, diff, rear shocks, springs, front struts and 4 wheel disk brakes. even the efi tank and lines went in with little modification. the only part i couldnt use was the pedal box for the hydraulic clutch conversion.
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: ke70 and ae86 Thu, 02 June 2005 05:40 Go to previous message
hahah buy a set of dumbells and a bench press Very Happy

I agree that it would have to be a prick with 8in and unassisted steering. The car i'm talking about recently gained a nice new set of 8in rims (and smashed rear wheel arches Laughing sorry personal joke) So maybe swapping the rack back to manual is not the great idea we thought it was Laughing will have to mention that..

Good luck with it mate..

P.s i think his login on this forum is SLO993 so if you want to PM him and ask him detailed questions about the setup i'll tell him to check up on here soon.. I'm really vague on it so if anything i've said was incorrect i apologise.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1ggze info required
Next Topic:Hybrid intercooler on RA23
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:18:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076098442077637 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.