Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Not Coming Along.. The 1JZ has tempted me too Much!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
$#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Not Coming Along.. The 1JZ has tempted me too Much! Tue, 17 May 2005 01:13 Go to next message
okay, ive got problems. need help identifying..

1) i pulled the spark plug caps off and the inside of them was covered in what appears to be oil. looking into where the spark plug is it seemed the whole area was swimming in oil. now im not sure if this is normal, but something tells me it aint. what might it be here, valve stem seals? oil pressure is sitting on 1kg/cm at idle and 2kg/cm under pressure. ideas?

2) in the last day my acceleration on the auto box has gone to shit. you know how you depress the overdrive button and go from a standing start how that feels? well its like that except the O/D button aint down, its on normal. feels like theres no pressure in the system at all, like the turbo doesnt seem to be spooling up as quickly either. i installed a S-AFC on friday and i havent had it tuned yet, but ive left everything at default settings (except of course for an initial setup.. Karmann, check, 6 Cyl, check..) and it was running fine over the weekend no problems.. any ideas?

3) if i wanted to replace every seal/gasket in the engine (bar the head of course) whats the toyota part numbers for the gasket/seal kits to do everything? Sorry my EPC is stuffed and i cant load the libraries up..

More to come! Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2005 03:53]

Send a private message to this user    
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 17 May 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure your rocker cover bolts are done up tightly, and that the black piece of plastic between them hasn't disintegrated. I had both of these problems in my car which resulted in the spark plugs to be swimming in oil - got a new "gasket" for the centre from Toyota and did all the bolts up tightly and haven't had the problem since

Dan
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 17 May 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you remember what the gasket cost you roughly? also torque settings? ~50nm? Or not neccessary..? I think the way i'll go ill take everything apart and clean it down and replace seals/gaskets as i go along..
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 17 May 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it was quite expensive... around $90 or so from Toyota

torque settings weren't necesary, i think the screws undo themselves over time with engine vibration

Dan
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 17 May 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danners is on the money with the rocker cover leakage

also have u checked your auto trans fluid levels?

flushed the trans lately?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 17 May 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ACL do cam cover seals
Cost about $30-$40 each from memory.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 17 May 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havent flushed it since i bought it two months ago. i should really get under and do it on the weekend. Level is a little high i think.. pulled the dipper out of it the other day and it was a little over the HOT mark at the top, wiped it stuck it back in and it was still at the same level..
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 17 May 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just clarifying that you did test it hot, after a 10min drive?

EDIT: And that the car was running at the time?

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 02:02]

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 17 May 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeap and Yeap.
Flebbert
Regular

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 17 May 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i have recently dones this on my 7MGE.

what i did was pull rocket cover off clean everything so that surfaces are nice and clean.

the plastic peice in the middle i removed all the plastic from it so that only metal remained then stuck it all back together making sure i used some gasket silicon i think it is called. now everything is good.

u may not have to go as extreme as my centre plastic piece was pretty bad

just what i did people may have dine it differently

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:45]

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Thu, 19 May 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This morning she wouldnt start. Sad She would crank over and the battery wasnt flat (sitting on about 11v) but just wouldnt fire up..

reckon the oil leaking into the spark plugs is causing it?
Flebbert
Regular

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Thu, 19 May 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The oil can cause problems as it did with mine. It caused the spark to short though the engine making it misfire, engine light would come on etc. I would just replace it and make sure u take your time cleaning surfaces and parts. I spent 3 hours doing mine but i wanted it to be perfect. I rushed it the first time and it leaked. I can pull everything off now in like 10 min now. I have had some practice. (sorry got carried away with story)

If u just want to test if it is the oil pull spark plug leads off and stick a rag in to absorb all the oil. Then see if it will start.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Fri, 20 May 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay next issue -

Last night i got under the hood again and completely removed the Intake piping, distributor and cam covers and cleaned up the top of the head pretty good. Totally degreased the cam covers, and got the rag in the middle and soaked up as much of the oil out from around the spark plugs that i could.

this is where i noticed that the black plastic thing in the middle was cracked in some places. Is this important? What are the big bolts (with the hex heads, 4 of them)holding it down? these arent the head bolts right?

anyway i put it all back together and the engine started (YAY) but when i depressed the accelerator a horrible screeching sound like metal on metal came from the engine (Uh Oh!). What could this be?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Fri, 20 May 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 12:14

this is where i noticed that the black plastic thing in the middle was cracked in some places. Is this important? What are the big bolts (with the hex heads, 4 of them)holding it down? these arent the head bolts right?

Nah those arent headbolts. Mine was cracked and yucky when I got my engine too and I binned it. The only purpose it serves, I think, is to stop oil gushing all over your leads and where your plugs sit if you miss while pouring oil into the oil filler spout thingo. Car runs fine without that cover.

Quote:

anyway i put it all back together and the engine started (YAY) but when i depressed the accelerator a horrible screeching sound like metal on metal came from the engine (Uh Oh!). What could this be?

Metal upon metal? Maybe a belt that's lose? They do make noises like fingernails being run down the blackboard. Tighten them?

Yian
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Fri, 20 May 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you drop something in the cams?
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Fri, 20 May 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nup cams were clean, i mean i had a rag brushing over them quite a bit but they still seemed to have enough oil on them to cope quite well.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Getting Further Along... Sat, 21 May 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay Saturday is here and Its under the car I go today..

(I really need to take the camera under with me!)

Fact is im not really experienced with this stuff and getting my hands grubby is teaching me a shitload of things. for which im happy for, thus you guys input is helping me a bucketload. Cheers!

Lesson i learned today by myself though is that Oil Filters are NOT easy to change.

Was scoping around trying to locate a number of points that im leaking oil from..

1. seems to be coming from up the block near the turbo housing but just under the exhaust manifold.
2. seems to be dripping down around the bellhousing into the A340E. a lot here.
3. around the bottom of the crank at the front

Is there anywhere really suspect around these areas i should be changing a gasket on? im going to get a whole engine gasket kit in a couple of weeks anyway but help here appreciated. Also is there a full engine Hose Kit available as well? Toyota Part Code?

Also ive drained the oil and coolant out as well. How much oil should i be refilling? 3 or 4 Litres? i put about 3 litres back in of new oil. what should i be adding to it to make sure that the mixture is clean from any of the old oil that may have not drained out..

She didnt start again though once id finished everything.. but oh well, that means ill be back into her tomorrow trying to work out why (its something electrical.. if i could only just pin it down..)

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Getting Further Along... Sat, 21 May 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 00:33

Fact is im not really experienced with this stuff and getting my hands grubby is teaching me a shitload of things. for which im happy for, thus you guys input is helping me a bucketload. Cheers!

Yay. Getting my hands grubby was how I learnt so far about engines and such. I'm not the god of knowledge like some on this forums (i.e. Norbie, GT etc) but hey, there's always a starting point eh?

I find that a screwdriver and a hammer works wonders on a stubborn oil filter Laughing

Yian
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Getting Further Along... Sat, 21 May 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1. seems to be coming from up the block near the turbo housing but just under the exhaust manifold.

1) Turbo seal
2) rear main seal
3) front main seal (or oil pump)

Yian wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 08:01

-= Toymods Midget =-

Laughing

1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Sun, 22 May 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Change those stupid philips head screwdrivers rocker cover bolts to something with a allen key head.

And all 7Ms ive worked on and own come free with oil in the spark plug galleries Smile Smile

Danners wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 11:21

Make sure your rocker cover bolts are done up tightly, and that the black piece of plastic between them hasn't disintegrated. I had both of these problems in my car which resulted in the spark plugs to be swimming in oil - got a new "gasket" for the centre from Toyota and did all the bolts up tightly and haven't had the problem since

Dan

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Getting Further Along... Sun, 22 May 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 06:14

1) Turbo seal
2) rear main seal
3) front main seal (or oil pump)

1) Would a turbo seal leak outside the turbo?
2) rear main wont leak on top of bellhousing, I'd say cam covers
3) Indeed
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Getting Further Along... Mon, 23 May 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay ill have to schedule a time in a few weeks to do all the Gaskets it seems..

Questions i have here are -

What should i be using to seal the gaskets? there seems to be a little confusion here and the TSRM doesnt tell me a great deal either. My predominant question is what should i be using to seal the Cam Covers onto the head properly?

1. Oil?
2. Nothing?
3. Gasket Silicon?

Like if its a rubber seal, should i use gasket silicon? is there a general rule i should apply here?

Tonight im going to replace those two little PCV hoses (Got them today yay) and plumb the factory BOV back into the turbo with some aftermarket hosing (bugger paying toyota $45 for it!)
and i need to seal the cam covers down better too, so any input appreciated..

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Mon, 23 May 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much were those 2 little PCV hoses?
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Mon, 23 May 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$15 for both

Part Number - 12261-42010

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2005 05:55]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Mon, 23 May 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SOLD!
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Mon, 23 May 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeap, i think scarborough toyota still has stock of them from what i could see on the screen of the EPC. i was surprised they didnt charge me more since theyre well-known sharks..
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Mon, 23 May 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had success at scabs before.
Its BigRock thats not cheaper.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Mon, 23 May 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ditto, Scabs always was fairly reasonable, and didn't look at me like a freak when I asked for things. Guys are Grand in Wangara were nice too.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Getting Further Along... Mon, 23 May 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 15:11

Okay ill have to schedule a time in a few weeks to do all the Gaskets it seems..
What should i be using to seal the gaskets? there seems to be a little confusion here and the TSRM doesnt tell me a great deal either. My predominant question is what should i be using to seal the Cam Covers onto the head properly?

1. Oil?
2. Nothing?
3. Gasket Silicon?

Like if its a rubber seal, should i use gasket silicon? is there a general rule i should apply here?

Use nothing on them, make sure that both surfaces are clean and don't overtighten the screws (you are only trying to stop oil coming out, nothing else, and the oil is under no pressure). Use silicon when you are trying to bodgy up old crap. If you get oil on them when you are fitting them, then they will most likely leak.

Your rebuild manual will show you where to apply sealants. Your main seals need only to be greased on the inside lip, and absolutely nothing (but cleanliness) around the outer side.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Getting Further Along... Mon, 23 May 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 14:39

hamgatan wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 15:11

1. Oil?
2. Nothing?
3. Gasket Silicon?

Use nothing on them, make sure that both surfaces are clean and don't overtighten the screws (you are only trying to stop oil coming out, nothing else, and the oil is under no pressure). Use silicon when you are trying to bodgy up old crap. If you get oil on them when you are fitting them, then they will most likely leak.

Your rebuild manual will show you where to apply sealants. Your main seals need only to be greased on the inside lip, and absolutely nothing (but cleanliness) around the outer side.

well said. thanks for this, much appreciated!

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Mon, 23 May 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I didn't use anything on them either. Just made sure they were clean and sealed it up. Hasnt leaked a drop in 1 year.
7MSupra
Regular

April 2004
    ?
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Mon, 23 May 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a set of cam cover gaskets that u may purchase from me if u want. Bought a set cos mine were leaking. Then bought the whole gasket kit cos i needed a rebuild.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that, four hours ago i might have done just that.

however i sealed up both cam covers with that Loctite Red High Temp Gasket Sealant and it seems to be running peachy now.

Last night, i did the same, but i mustn't have sealed it properly because when i cranked it over there was some serious vibrating going on and a constant clicking coming from in the right cam cover that sounded like something repeatedly hitting against it. took the car for a drive briefly and it sounded like a WRX i shit u not. But yeah i knew it wasnt on right, so off the covers came again today and i reoiled the cam and replaced the seal and it seems to be running great now.

problem ive hit though, is that there seems to be oil smoke coming from somewhere under the power steering fluid reservoir / thermostat housing. its not really there when im driving it, its moreso present when i stop and the engine switches itself off (timer) and like a few seconds later smoke starts rising up from that location. front seal??

also, are these things limited to a 6psi boost cut or something? how do i bypass that coz i cranked the manual boost controller a little and it didnt really affect the pressure much, and it never seems to go above 6psi..

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CAS o-ring.

$4.50

Mine was solid, broke into 5 pieces when I tried to remove it.
Not bad for rubber Rolling Eyes
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 17:45

problem ive hit though, is that there seems to be oil smoke coming from somewhere under the power steering fluid reservoir / thermostat housing. its not really there when im driving it, its moreso present when i stop and the engine switches itself off (timer) and like a few seconds later smoke starts rising up from that location. front seal??

also, are these things limited to a 6psi boost cut or something? how do i bypass that coz i cranked the manual boost controller a little and it didnt really affect the pressure much, and it never seems to go above 6psi..

I have a similar problem with the smoke, but mine seems to come from under the CAS from the manifold area. Only happens when I start the car cold then it disappears Confused Not doing any damage so I'm not gunna take everything off to find out what it is.

And 7m's boost cut (or whatever they're properly called) at 11psi.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forgive me for sounding silly but wheres that located?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 17:49

CAS o-ring.

$4.50

Mine was solid, broke into 5 pieces when I tried to remove it.
Not bad for rubber Rolling Eyes

Ooh... problem solved. Thanks peewee.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CAS = Crank Angle Sensor.

The bit you move to adjust timing.
It has an o-ring between its shaft and the hole in the side of the head.

Obviously sealing the cam covers has put a bit more pressure in the head and its forcing oil out the CAS shaft and past its well fucked seal.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh its going to be a long weekend with the toolkit in me driveway again... Laughing

yeah i noticed a lot of scungy old oil buildup sitting on top of the water pump right around under the thermostat too.. mmm replacement sounds like a plan!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 17:45

Last night, i did the same, but i mustn't have sealed it properly because when i cranked it over there was some serious vibrating going on and a constant clicking coming from in the right cam cover that sounded like something repeatedly hitting against it.

that would of been your cams hiting the covers Shocked that may of done SERIOUS damage to the engine Sad
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah if i had have driven it any more like that then i would have stuffed something chronic.. it seems to be running very smooth today though after doing it again, only problem is that smoke i mentioned above. well, thats all i know about anyway.. ill get someone that completely knows what theyre doing to have a once over on it on the weekend and tell me if theres anything majorly fooked.

still cant work out why boost is cutting at 6psi if the factory cut is 11.. vacuum leaks anywhere? turbo seals?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Tue, 24 May 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no stock boost is 6psi, you can turn it up to about 10psi before the ecu declares the party over and cuts fuel and flashes the check engine light at you
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Wed, 25 May 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm... possibly vacuum leak then when it hits 6psi? it just aint going over that even when i fiddle with the boost controller
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Wed, 25 May 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, there ain't gonna be any 'vacuum' per se at 6psi boost...
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Wed, 25 May 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thing is, if i ease off the throttle slightly i hear air escaping somewhere very slowly. im pretty sure this is coming out of the factory bov, but if i hammer it down, the revs sort of cut out at about ~4500 as boost is at 6psi and doesnt want to go any further than that.. and i hear air escaping somewhere as if boost pressure is being leaked
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Wed, 25 May 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New Update: I just went down to super crap and bought a 90º tube bend and sealed it onto the factory bov back into the turbo inlet pipe.. 9 bucks compared with the 45 toyota wanted..

it seems to have corrected many of the low idle stall issues i was having, sure, sacrifice the glorious grandma-scaring whoosh,
but who cares so long as it fixed the issue. still need to tune my S-AFC to suit it though.

problem still though is revs seem to drop when i floor it. hits about 4000 then backs off on its own to 3500 and boost stays constant on 6psi. this is irritating! ideas?!
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just thought of something actually which might be contributing to the problem..

factory b.o.v.. is this set to release under 6psi of pressure? it could explain a lot if it is.. whats a good b.o.v with plumb back fitment. short sharp chirp and adjustable release pressure?

im just thinking coz it gets to abt 6psi and then i hear some air escaping.. i wonder if this is where its escaping?!
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Thu, 26 May 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to replace the factory bov, try a bosche from a saab. I cannot remember the exact model but they are a direct fit - the pipe is a different diam but I found a civic radiator hose that fit snug once cut to size.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Thu, 26 May 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvrolla wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 12:34

If you want to replace the factory bov, try a bosche from a saab. I cannot remember the exact model but they are a direct fit - the pipe is a different diam but I found a civic radiator hose that fit snug once cut to size.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t= 1805&highlight=bosch
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Thu, 26 May 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh bloody ripper!

dont suppose i can still get a mild atmo sound from a plumbed back in valve at all can i? hehe.. i miss the sound already Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Thu, 26 May 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A plumb back makes plenty of noise - especially if you're using a pod.

-J-

Draven likes teh wang.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Thu, 26 May 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im goin down to saab now... 60 bucks for the bosch... brb Smile
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Sat, 28 May 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay it stopped running again yesterday. this time its electrical and im stumped.

it ran fine for a couple of days after i cleaned it up again and sealed everything.

in the morning i tried to start it and it just would not start. it cranked over no problem (so starter system is working fine), i know the problem is somewhere in the ignition system. i thought it might be the battery, so i went and bought a new battery, and for nothing it seems because its still the same. ive traced along all the wiring and nothing seems broken or out of place so its let me to believe one thing.

my coil pack / distributor is rooted. at first i thought cold start injector, but it doesnt appear that could be the issue because it would still fire right?

what i did today is took off all the spark leads and cleaned up the sparkies and made sure they solidly connected properly and that the coil pack was properly grounded then i fired it up after all that and it finally started.

however twenty seconds later after the engine was running, it suddenly stopped as if id turned the key off. attempting to restart it again led straight back to the problem i was having where it would crank and not start. a couple of times it cranked over and sounded like it got some spark, but then fizzled out just as quick. i dont think it would be possible for all 6 sparkies to be rooted right, so it would have to be the coil pack id assume..

so, im going to ask nicely.. does anyone have a spare coil pack for a 7MGTE that theyre not using that i can test mine with? (and if that IS the problem.. buy off them?).

Ill beat this sucker one day... *sigh*

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Sat, 11 June 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UPDATE: The Problem Ended up being Coil Pack + Loose Wiring. How Homo!

Ive been asked to post a pic of my new Bosch 110 Setup so here it is! Plumbed back in its own Glory

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/hamgatan/Supra/IMGP1165.jpg
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Sat, 11 June 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 23:40

UPDATE: The Problem Ended up being Coil Pack + Loose Wiring. How Homo!

Ive been asked to post a pic of my new Bosch 110 Setup so here it is! Plumbed back in its own Glory

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/hamgatan/Supra/IMGP1165.jpg

Hehe.. always comes down to the simplest things eh?

I can't help but notice there aren't any nuts securing your coil-pack down... maybe that could be the reason the wiring came loose?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Sun, 12 June 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The big plastic thing that screws down over the top of the front half of the engine is supposed to hold them down I believe.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Sun, 12 June 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 12:14

The big plastic thing that screws down over the top of the front half of the engine is supposed to hold them down I believe.

The Victa Lawnmower thingo? Yeah I don't have that on either and I've got nuts holding the coil-packs in place...

Just a thought though.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Sun, 12 June 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hAHAHAHAHhaha!

Haven't heard it called that before. That's a damn good name for it actually Very Happy
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Sun, 12 June 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ive got that off it at the moment.. its got a couple of bits that are cracked so im chasing one in perfect nick actually for a spray detailing job..
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: $#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Coming Along.. Slow but Sure! Sun, 12 June 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Yian/IMG_0640.jpg

There... nuts holding the coil-packs down in place... Just noticed that they were missing in your pic thats all...

And that cover thingo
Quote:

Haven't heard it called that before. That's a damn good name for it actually Very Happy
I think it was GT that mentioned it.

I've got 2 of those at home. 1 is pretty much perfect nick with some blemishes on the silver (Twin cam 24 valve turbo). The other is good but the silver bit is broken in half...
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues
Next Topic:1jz probs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 03:25:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010134935379028 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.