Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon8.gif  Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 11:20 Go to next message
How can you tell if your ECU is fried ?

I took the covers off my and found a resistor minus its markings and then I saw a black line/path between two points on the PCB. This filament (?) is usually gold in colour, so if mine is black here, is my ECU fubared ?

I take it that is non-repairable as well then ? Even if I replace the burnt resistor and what looks to be a transistor adjoining it that looks like it is toast as well.......?

I guess a one word reply will sum it up if true.....fubar.....
Sad Sad Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pitty your not in japan they had a big box of standard ecus for 4agze's to 2jz's all for the pricly sum of 20 buks
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should have bought that and made a huge profit re-selling them here in OZ.....
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was allready skimping on weight to get my personal stuff back to oz weighed in at .2 kg under the limit
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hand luggage ?

I have searched for a photo of the inside of an ECU I saw on here recently but I can't remember the thread I saw it in.....
It was showing a nice torch mark on the PCB.....
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahha nah i put it all in my bags i put all the heavy stuff i could take onto a plane into my carry on.

you can bring up to a total of $900 worth of goods you have bought overseas into australia without duty. The trick is to say you have no recipts and that you paid cash for everything which was true in my case. They were nice to me and let me go with no duty wich ammounted to $315 on $1500 worth of goods. Its a 10% duty for car parts and then %10 gst ontop of that thats right tax on tax...
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK.
Well, that is all good stuff and a good story, but with respect and without being rude, its a little off the main topic.
Do you have any thoughts about my specific question please ?
Thanks.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That relay was there for this exact reason dude Sad

It may be repairable!

As I understand the ECU itself still works? i.e. it drives the injectors and everything else OK still?

I suspect you've just blown the shit out of the Transistor and the resistor in line with it by forcing it to dry and give a whopping amount of current (and hence power!) to a magnetic clutch it wasn't designed to drive. Seeing as there is a transistor I suspect the driver chip will be ok (But I can't be certain).

If you have a multimeter and a soldering iron and some skills you may be able to fix it Smile

Care to take a photo?

Cheers
Wilbo
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are right mate. I am new to modding cars and I did not realise what the hell I was doing until it was too late.... Crying or Very Sad

Possibly repairable - yay !!! Smile

Yes, the ECU still works, injectors are driving, all else appears to be OK. Just that my boost is gone (again)........the Toymods god gives boost, and then he/she takes it away......(sigh)..

You must have been looking inside my ECU as that it where the burn path runs, from a resistor (1W 3R9J) to a transistor (E1A30 K38X). The burn path is about 15mm long. Can a track be soldered in to replace the copper path I have toasted ? What about replacing the resistor and checking the transistor to see if it still works OK ? And I have no idea how to get the right replacement parts.

I have worked out that this relay is designed to send 12v to the SC, and the circuit that I burned is the SMC ground signal in the ECU. It grounds when the ECU wants the SC to engage. Banging something like 4 amps into this circuit made more than raisin toast...

I have a multimeter but I know I cannot solder to save my life.

A photo or two would not be a problem.

I am willing to send the ECU postage paid back to anyone who believes they can fix it along with payment for your time, parts and effort. Would you be interested please Wilbo ?

Thanks,
Mitch.

Mechanic midget and electronic eee-diot.....

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:50]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had to solder a few wires in place of burnt tracks before.. Usually turns out alright Smile so there may be hope for your ECU.

Otherwise, I have a contact who might be able to find you other in Japan.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Wed, 25 May 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Joel.
I will send you a PM with some details.
Cheers,
Mitch.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Thu, 26 May 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jolly good of toyota to put the resistor value on the board! That makes life easier.

The transistor isn't known to me tho off the top of my head. (It was sinking about 3amps btw, so about 36watts through that 1watt resistor Razz no wounder the resistor is toast)...

Tracks can be repaired quite easily (solder braid is good for this). It sounds repairable to me!

I don't have any dramas with you sending it to me, I can't make any promises I can get it to work tho! Have a look, someone might be able to do it in perth for you tho?

Cheers
Wilbo

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Thu, 26 May 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found the resistor value by comparison with another (not mine) ECU, the resistor seems to have lost all its markings and most of its colour...funny that Razz

So, I was putting through about 36 watts then ... its good to know just how much I did toast that resistor by - so I did a good job by the sounds of it ? (stuff me !)

I'm glad that it sounds repairable, let me send you a digi photo tonight and you can give me a better opinion, if you don't mind, thanks.

I will ring around Perth at lunchtime today to see if I can find someone who can repair it, but I don't fancy my chances. One other Toymods member I know had his fried 2TG ECU sent to the Eastern States because they could not get it repaired over here. Sometimes WA really is the backward State....

I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help Wilbo.

Cheers,
Mitch.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Thu, 26 May 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 11:55

I will ring around Perth at lunchtime today to see if I can find someone who can repair it, but I don't fancy my chances. One other Toymods member I know had his fried 2TG ECU sent to the Eastern States because they could not get it repaired over here. Sometimes WA really is the backward State....

I think its more a case of they don't know who to call.
Any place that repairs tv's, computers, anything with a PCB can repair it, they just cant guarentee it works.

Here's what I would do, hook the s/c and relay up so that it WOULD work had the ecu not been fried.
Give EFI Auto's in Balcatta a call, tell them what you did, and that you can see a tranny and resistor on the ecu are blown, and ask if they can fix it.
Give them the whole car, and they will fix it. Then they will test it. If it still doesn't work, they will begin fault finding.

I'm not 100% sure they will do it, but they should.

Apart from them try Lumpy @ HyperDrive.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Is my ECU Fried ? (You want fries with that?) Thu, 26 May 2005 04:11 Go to previous message
I have called 4 'so-called' PCB repair mobs in Perth so far, and only one thinks me might be able to repair it and he does not fill me with confidence in the way he spoke about it.

I will keep trying a few electronic's repair mobs, and see what I can shake down.

Failing that and if Wilbo is not keen to try his hand at it, I will try EFU Auto's and then Lumpy.

Thanks for your input mate, and while I am at it, all your other advice about my car too, it all helped get it running, albeit for a short time before I effed it up.

Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone have an S13 and can take a quick measurement for me?
Next Topic:ra23 conversion, really confused
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:28:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047738552093506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.