Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Toymods Membership & Feedback » Toymods or Oldmods?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Toymods or Oldmods? Mon, 09 May 2005 07:26 Go to next message
why does this forum seem to only provide interest for those with 'old' toyota's? eg pre 90 series supra's soarers celicas corollas ect ect?

I dont see anywhere on this site a mension about this club/forum/site being dedicated for oldschool toyotas so why does it seem to be this way?

im not complaining, and i dont have a major gripe with the layout of things, i definately think the forums at least could use a visual UPDATE, im just curious now that ive thought about it. Anyone have any input on this topic?

The only thing i can think of is the format of the site/forum is very basic and "no frills" so it probably wouldnt attract many people looking for a "cool" forum to hangout. this could be a very positive thing, im guessing because it will not interest the retards out there, too technical for them, too many old cars.

another example was the "Soarer owners dedicated thread" http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=65723&start=0&rid=5169&S=4719c9f2574 a5cb96d5f2b63183127ca
The vast majority of these soarers are MZ/GZ series.

Food for thought.
  Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Mon, 09 May 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The forum is an extension of a club that is interested in modiying Toyotas. Most people into the "late model" car scene tend to be into posing rather than modifying. The fact that Toyota haven't released a decent car in Australia for a long time would contribute to the amount of older cars here.

The other point is that the majority of the people that post a hell of a lot, are kids. Kids tend to find it hard to buy late model cars.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 08:20]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Mon, 09 May 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like this
Quote:

.. the format of the site/forum is very basic and "no frills"

about the site.

i'm here (like most folk) to learn, share and occaisionally flame.

It doesn't really matter what colour the walls are here as they're usually obstructed by piles of car crap - like my room-full-of-car-shit.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Mon, 09 May 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reason theres so many older cars is because they're cheap, everyone wanting to get involved with modding a toy can afford it!

plus, it fits in with the scheme mOuLDmods muahahhaha

nah, old cars rule because they're simple, cheap and above all, light

i wish i had the money for a mk4 RZ supra!

Eldar.O.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As Joshstix said, Toyota havent released a decent car in a fair while, by my knowledge they havent released a RWD since about 87-89 somethin like that...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 08:01

As Joshstix said, Toyota havent released a decent car in a fair while, by my knowledge they havent released a RWD since about 87-89 somethin like that...

Ummm, errrr, 90% of Lexus is RWD, Soarer are RWD, Landcruisers are RWD, Chasers are RWD, Crowns are RWD, Supra's are RWD
I'd say its abotu 50/50 for FWD/RWD
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually for a while not sure if they still are but landcruisers in the mid nineties were permanent AWD
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agrree with most of the statements above I would Love an Mk4 Supra Late model Crown or chaser, But I don't have cash for em. So instead I'll probably poor the same amount of $$$$ into my older crown just over a period of time.

Plus Old cars have Chrome. Chrome is COOL Cool
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 09:57

actually for a while not sure if they still are but landcruisers in the mid nineties were permanent AWD

Are you sure?
Prado's are all permanent AWD, but I'm pretty sure LandCruisers have always been 2WD unless you lock the front hubs.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope i can remember when i was a kid, that they had full time four wheel drive embedded in the side stripe or a badge on the back of the car. At the time we had a Pajero so i knew the difference between full time and the pajero which was rear wheel. Cos my dad used to bitch about the extra fuel the car used in awd compared to rear wheel drive which was a reason we didn't buy a land cruiser.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 02:49]

BlackMist666
Occasional Poster

On Probation

May 2005
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was initially was going to say this when I registered, but as you may have seen, my comments are very scrutinized and I did not want to come across the wrong way by saying what you are.
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just find it very interesting, im not critisizing anything.

personally if theres something i want to know about my supra i will come here, not supraforums because i know its already been covered on here.

i think the forum is a little vintage, im used to new forums (vBulletin) that are packed with features so thats my only letdown, the forums design.

...Apart from that, GO OLDMODS! I MEAN TOYMODS!!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a lot of ppl on here have load of money either, and so because of this will buy older cars and mod them instead of buying a new car and keeping it standard.
But a lot of it does come down to what has been available on offer by toyota Australia in recent times, up until the lastest celica they were really soft evr since the 3sge in the St162's, and even the current ones are not great due to gearing, there has been no rwd sedans coupe etc able to be bought off the production floor in aus, and recently this void has been filled by imports like soarers and a couple chasers etc.
The is quite a lot of ppl with JZZ30's i know they are getting long in the teeth well some are but they are newer, but the problem that a lot of ppl see sometimes is that they are auto only. I know a conversion could be done but its costly and insurance is also quite out of the league for a lot of ppl on here ie i could 'afford' a soarer but wouldn't afford to pay 3.5K per year on comprehensive insurance.
But ultimately i think it comes down to price and availabilty, being australian made or imported by toyota, there are heaps of old RWD toyota's around most can accept a wide variety of modern engines.
Plus doing up an older car is probably more personal one because of the lower cost involved ppl are more likely to tinker with the cars themselves, a newer car could be quite costly should a minor cock turn into somthing major, plus its a love hate relationship you curse and curse that its off the road for ten months of the year but for the two that it is on its pure bliss.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Tue, 10 May 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Besides... old school kicks and hauls ass!!! Honestly, can you beat the look of something like a badass TA22?

Even my trueno i consider to be old school and thats why it's so great to me.

Eddie.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Wed, 11 May 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a '96 JZA80 and I sit on the forums and talk here, '96 isn't that old! there's plenty of info on the 2JZ-GTE's, 1UZ's and more.....

Anyway with age comes wisdom Smile Also at the Toymods monthly meetings there are some serious talks about changing the forum software and that will change the look of the forums.

I'm a fan of how they are now, but if they were to change, that's not bad either.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Thu, 12 May 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oldmods is cool for me.
I have a '93 Cressida a KE70 and a KE20.
I chose the KE20 for 1) it is light 2) it used to be a sleeper (people generally don't expect to be downright flogged by an old 4cyl) 3) I like providing the unexpected. 4) fast, short wheelbase cars provide a rush. 5)it cost me $250.

I want a JZA80T Supra though.
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Fri, 13 May 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pre 1977 and post 1977 they were crap anyway. Shocked
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Sun, 15 May 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 11:06

Phrostbyte wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 08:01

Ummm, errrr, 90% of Lexus is RWD, Soarer are RWD, Landcruisers are RWD, Chasers are RWD, Crowns are RWD, Supra's are RWD
I'd say its abotu 50/50 for FWD/RWD

heh heh, but ruling out lexus as toyota...
last RWD chaser/supra/crown to be released in Oz?

of the current australian toyota market (excluding big heavy non-performance 4WD's Wink ), which are rwd?

"back in the day", swapping a 4AC for a 4AG in an AE82 was not considered a decent modification, simply cos it was bolt in Evil or Very Mad "real" modding consisted of a different family of engine, or at least something a little more substantial than a head change..

but aaaanyway.. how many ppl in toymods can afford a nice new 90's supra and how many of those actually put in a different engine or substantially modify them (past a bleed valve) ?

in the end, who cares Wink it's all fun Very Happy

Cya, Stewart
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Sun, 15 May 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it was really good to get so many peoples thoughts on this topic... this forum is really unique and probably one of the last genuine australian performance and tech forums still operating and still widely respected.
good stuff.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Mon, 16 May 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imho, the reason toymods works is because there are a number of knowledgeable people here (typically the older members) that dispense good advice, and also because many of the bullshit posters that exist on other forums get cut down to size early Wink, leading to a lower bullshit:information ratio...

compare this to other forums where bullshit is passively encouraged, and 15yo kiddies rule the roost (but only during school holidays when mum lets them use the intermanet...) Rolling Eyes
anyhoo
Cya, Stewart
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Mon, 16 May 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old cars rock! stay long enough and you get to see threads with pics of old school rollas and celicas and trust me you too will be converted. i started off liking the newer cars etc, but as time progressed i grew to like the forum for what it was. its simple, quick loading, and the wealth of information that you can get on here is vast. also seeing some of the conversions on here are a great way to learn and understand just how far the envelope of possibilty can be pushed.

this forum does need a software upgrade, but its not essential. the one gripe i have is its search facility but nothing too bad, you get used to it after awhile.

put it this way, toymods is like shoes, or a new pair of jeans. at first when u first put them on, they dont seem right and feel a bit awkward, but give it a bit of time for it to wear in and its just like the best shoes/jeans you have and you wouldnt have it any other way.

Cheers
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Sat, 21 May 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mofo III wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 20:14

i just find it very interesting, im not critisizing anything.

personally if theres something i want to know about my supra i will come here, not supraforums because i know its already been covered on here.

i think the forum is a little vintage, im used to new forums (vBulletin) that are packed with features so thats my only letdown, the forums design.

...Apart from that, GO OLDMODS! I MEAN TOYMODS!!

I was also used to newer style forums. But after being here awhile Id say DONT CHANGE IT. It makes this place unique. HOWEVER the website DEFINATELY needs an upgrade.

so in summary my 2cents

-the forum rocks, leave it
-the website needs an overhaul..
Ms_SILYCAR
Regular

I supported Toymods

January 2004

Re: Toymods or Oldmods? Thu, 26 May 2005 04:13 Go to previous message
hey dude, you'll find that alot of people who have newer cars also seem to think they are better than everyone else... i have a 92 celica, looks wise and suspension wise modded a fair amount, and being fairly well known in adelaide i've come to see a trend of most *not all* but most mk4 supra drivers and 00-05 celica drivers etc are really snobby and look down on you...

oldskool drivers seem to be a little less "im better than u" kinda thing, but i have found a fair few of em think there is nothing better than what they have...

anywayz... yea that could be some of the reason behind it.. not having a stab at anyone either btw!...

i second the whole "this forum needs an upgrade" comments... especially the home page... that still has the meeting for months and months ago on it....

*which reminds me... i need to update my sig.. new things on the car now*

-Stef
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how do u post a photo????
Next Topic:Cars For Sale section a shambles: I have a suggestion...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 19:03:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073249340057373 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.