Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Wed, 25 May 2005 19:44 Go to next message
Just wondering if anyone here uses a portable MP3 player ? I was considering buying one but find it hard to part with the money just in case it becomes another impulse buy.

If anyone does own one, do you get use out of it ? Fed up of it yet ? And if so how long did that take ?

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Wed, 25 May 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can buy mine of me Razz
they are good i used mine all the time, but then got to busy to use it, so hasnt been used for quite some time.
its a creative thingy
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Wed, 25 May 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got one its only got 128mb that i got from pcmarket
the only reason i bought it was because you can expand its memory with SD cards
id still prefer saving for an ipod/iriver Laughing
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Wed, 25 May 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a 20gb ipod and i love it. It was a bit of a sting initially to buy but because I use it all the time the cost is well justified. One tip though get rid of the stupid itunes software and use the winamp plugin!
88AW11SC
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Wed, 25 May 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I own little portable MP3 player; 256 Mb Li-Ion Rechargeable USB jobby. Great little thing but I don't use it enough anymore, I bought it 'cause I used to travel from the Gold Coast to Brisbane each day for work. Everyday I would put the MP3 player on and make the 1 hour train trip just slightly bearable. Only slightly, the fat b*tch taking up 75% of the seat used to test my patients to the limit Mad. Now I work on the Coast, and don't use it enough, she just sits there most of the time, if I use its usually as a USB mass storage device.

For a while I used load her up with music then go out and connect it to the big stezza out in the lounge room. Good way to get my MP3's to the big stezza without carting the PC into the lounge.

This ended the other day when I picked up a DLink DSM-320 Networked Media Player. Maaayyyyyyyte What a bit of gear, now I have all my digital media (Audio, video, Jpg,etc) available at the main entertainment unit.

What do you plan to use it for, if you don't have a particular application in mind then its probably an impulse buy as you said, but if you travel often or you are away from a music source for long periods then maybe its the way to go. Depends on your lifestyle...

Matt.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Wed, 25 May 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
88AW11SC wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 09:15

For a while I used load her up with music then go out and connect it to the big stezza out in the lounge room. Good way to get my MP3's to the big stezza without carting the PC into the lounge.

This ended the other day when I picked up a DLink DSM-320 Networked Media Player. Maaayyyyyyyte What a bit of gear, now I have all my digital media (Audio, video, Jpg,etc) available at the main entertainment unit.

Thats what i used to do with my ipod until i discoverd xbox media centre!!! You Beauty!
Daemon
Regular

May 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got a Creative Zen 30gig. Fantastic little thing and alot cheaper than an Ipod (over $200 cheaper than a 40gig Ipod at the time). You have to use different software to store movies and other files on it but its alot easier to use than ITunes.

You might also find yourself on a waiting list for an Ipod, as theres a world wide shortage.
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea Ive got 2

first I had a JNC 128mb player that was great besides the lack of memory it had 30 hrs playback from a single AA battery.

Now Ive got a 20gig Ipod, The memory is great but the battery life is shit house, soon enough Ill upgrade to another JNC player
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a mini disk ages ago
I bought it because you can cnage the batteries (unlike the ipod who batteries last no longer than 18 months) and you can change the disks.
i bought mine when they just released the 4lp thing where u can store 320 mins ofmusic on one mini disk.
It's good because if u find just one song u like you can chuck it on the disk instead of burning a whole cd.
but i can't use it in my car so that's a pain.

spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got an iriver H300 20 gig for about $450 a couple of weeks back.

Did a bit of research and it seemed like the best option- colour screen for viewing photos; shows txt files; built in radio; streams radio, line in, webcasts straight to mp3; portable hard disc and constant firmware upgrades from their site.

It's not as pretty as my sister's ipod but it kicks it's arse in
every other department.

Biggest problem is saving all my CDs to mp3 (many a late night). The iriver doesn't come with software so I use 'cdex', it's freeware and supports cddb.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there anything that can store movies ??????
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use mine as a memory stick to move computer files to and from uni. but i put music on it too sometimes Razz
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a 40gb iPod.. for the money u spend on those other shit heaps u will b set for ages with it.. i have a 128mb and its too little for my needs, but a 40gb is perfect.. i doubt u could find enogh music to put on it... plus u can store other shit on it!
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all your input.

I have been thinking of getting - but didnt want it to become a a black hole of a few hundred dollars. Was thinking of getting the iaudio G3. Am thinking that a pair of decent head phones might also be in order...
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just bought a hp1910 pocket PC off a bloke on these forums.

i put my 256 MB SD Card that i had spare and installed the winamp equivalent,

and hey presto, a 65,000 colour media station.

one charge can last just over 5 hours if you blast the units speakers, longer if you use headphones.

i love it,

$95 for the unit + cables
and $80 ish for the SD Card.

im upgrading to a bigger card when i feel like it Smile

Eldar.O.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt buy an ipod if my life depended on it
big hunks of crap
iriver is the way to go
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1gb iPod Shuffle = amazing
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have always refused to buy into this ipod business.

fuck that, i hate them all,

creative zen if i had to choose!

Eldar.O.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, i wouldnt get an ipod, rather any other brand like creative or something
anyway, ive got a generic 512mb mp3 player (+ storage of course) and it's great. nice and small, not chunky like ipod-type things, but still fit about 100 songs. but you'd definitely need some decent headphones, not those crappy earphone things, no bass out of them Razz
ive got sennheiser px200's, they rock. they're not full headphones, but they're really good for portability, just fold up into a case that can fit into your pocket Very Happy i think they're about $130

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/F1B09A663C06799FC125700C005909F0/$File/px200_150px.jpg

also, mp3 direct is really cheap for these type of things Very Happy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had several flash based MP3 players including expandable ones... I just couldn't be bothered working out what I want to shove on the 128/256/512Mb of memory.

Buy an iPod and you wont have that problem.
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 13:44

From a thread about iriver H300 series:

here's a brief features list :

All firmwares:

- color screen (270pix X 320pix ,260K colors compare to 65K on ipod photo for an idea of the screen quality) 2 inch diagonal.
- picture viewing
- txt viewing
- recording from internal mic, external mic, line in, and radio.
- FM tuner
- clock
- MP3, WMA, OGG support (high bitrates too)
- drag and drop addition of music files, as well as data.
- 3D eqs
- Skinnable interface (iffy warentee with this)

US version on US firmware:

- syncing with WMP 10
- napster to go compatibility

US version on Korean firmware (makes your warenty a little iffy, but not much)

- video playing capabilities
- USB OTG, with modified host cable or modified iriver.
- delete, copy, paste files on-the-go

rest-of-world version:

- USB OTG out-of box
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought one of Toobs' said flash card based players and find it was an impulse purchase that I rarely use Razz
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 18:21

I've had several flash based MP3 players including expandable ones... I just couldn't be bothered working out what I want to shove on the 128/256/512Mb of memory.

Buy an iPod and you wont have that problem.

that's true. i spose it depends on how big your music collection is Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think everyone would have a large enough collection to make a HDD based player viable... even if its only a collection of cd's that you own and have ripped yourself.
Beserker99
Regular

January 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spirokeet wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 16:48

Mookie wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 13:44

From a thread about iriver H300 series:

here's a brief features list :

All firmwares:

- color screen (270pix X 320pix ,260K colors compare to 65K on ipod photo for an idea of the screen quality) 2 inch diagonal.
- picture viewing
- txt viewing
- recording from internal mic, external mic, line in, and radio.
- FM tuner
- clock
- MP3, WMA, OGG support (high bitrates too)
- drag and drop addition of music files, as well as data.
- 3D eqs
- Skinnable interface (iffy warentee with this)

US version on US firmware:

- syncing with WMP 10
- napster to go compatibility

US version on Korean firmware (makes your warenty a little iffy, but not much)

- USB OTG, with modified host cable or modified iriver.

rest-of-world version:

- USB OTG out-of box

Yeah, I've always liked the iRiver over the iPod. But recently my urge to get one has grown, due to needing a portable HDD for tafe.

But I was wondering, is the Aus version compatable with the firmware upgrades to view video? Did we get a specific Aus version or is it just an inernational version. So far all i can find is thats there's a US version and an international version.

Sorry if it seems like jacking the thread, but the iRiver is the best bang for buck, and feature loaded HDD mp3 player out on the market. So I'm just asking before I spend the monies for one, because I'm seeing if its worth the investment in the long term Razz
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Thu, 26 May 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beserker,
Since getting the my player i've updated the firmware to version 1.28, downloaded from the iriver site.
Apparently I can play video but it looks like I've got to screw around with codecs for the player and encoders to convert avi files.
I can't be arsed as I bought it so I could listen to all my CDs whilst overseas and I'm not about to risk scewing it up after converting music almost non stop for a week.
Theres a heap of iriver forums if you run a search
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Fri, 27 May 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
think of it as a discman, youll use it the same amount.. maybe a lil more,
i like mine but it only cost $20 2nd hand.. try a cheap one if your not keen on spendin the big bucks.
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Fri, 27 May 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've had my creative muvo 2 (1.5gb) for a year and a half now n hasnt let me down. I should've w8ed a few months more and got the Zen. I'd get a Zen be4 a ipod dude
rxbenny
Regular

November 2004
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Fri, 27 May 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have an ipod and i wouldn't choose anything else if you have a mac
the main problem you will find is that if u use a pc the ipod can be quite fickle as it requires to be allocated a drive letter higher than d:
and also drivers need to right on a pc and the bulk of charging problems are due to using usb.

Also the ipod has lots of good accesories but then again i have not looked at the other brands.

the same for most pc stuff applies to all these things though initial setup on a pc is the main hurdle to overcome.

just my 2c

Cheers

Ben
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Does anyone own a portable MP3 player ? Sat, 28 May 2005 01:31 Go to previous message
Yea I bought a RIO about 4 years ago now, and at the time only really used it with a tape adapter in the car. It's now back in it's original box in the cupboard and has been for about the last 2-3 years. Yea they are an impulse buy / waste of money. I'd rather get a palm type computer for entertainment these days. Much more useful if you get a GPS SDIO card for them as well.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:funniest thing
Next Topic:Housing - who can afford it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 12:28:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079610347747803 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.