Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
16OTU
Occasional Poster

May 2005
R154 conversion to 1GGTE Wed, 25 May 2005 10:13 Go to next message
I'm chasing an adapter plate or bell housing to bolt a R154 bell housing to a 1GGTE and a tail shaft yoke. Still waiting on a reply from Dellow and want to know if anyone else had 1 or done this before.
Ron
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Wed, 25 May 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't heard of anyone doing it....and it sounds a little like overkill to me personally!

Torque is the killer of gearboxes, you might be making a lot of power but its still only a 2L engine....?

Still I guess you would only be looking at it if you think its necessary. Smile

A yoke off a Toyota A340e auto or equivalent (i.e. pretty well most post 86 toyota rwd autos) are meant to fit Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Wed, 25 May 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt an off-the-shelf adapter is available, you'd be looking at custom fabrication work methinks. The W58 is strong enough for 99.9% of 1G's out there so there's no market for such a thing. Maybe you should consider a late-model W58, they cop a fair bit of abuse in NA-T MkIV Supras so I think you'd have to work pretty hard to break it with a 1G.
16OTU
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Wed, 25 May 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I have already broke 2 W57 and 2 late modle W58's. So do need to find something stronger and have been told the R154 should hold up to the HP.
I am currently making 409RWHP With mostly bolt on's.
Ron
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
16OTU wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 11:50

Well I have already broke 2 W57 and 2 late modle W58's. So do need to find something stronger and have been told the R154 should hold up to the HP.
Ron

What about modifying your driving style???

I have a animal, I mean friend with a JZZ30 drift car putting down similar power (more torque) and he is still on his 1st W55 (surprisingly), and we all know how much a JZZ30 weighs!!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
16OTU wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 09:50

Ron

Have you heard of a CLUTCH?

Norbie's 306RWHP 2JZGTE would have more torque than this 1GGTE by far. And he is currently using a W55 celica box.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:06]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but Norbie's on his 3rd W5x. And he's driving like a Grandma.

His 2jzge W58 died from abuse.
His W57 just died.
And current his 3rd is holding.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the looks of his avatar he uses his car hard (ie drags)
And burnouts will kill a gearbox
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie's w58 was always going to die. many people would consider him to have had a personal hatred of that gbox, and made it his mission in life to kill it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 17:24

Yeah, but Norbie's on his 3rd W5x. And he's driving like a Grandma.

Bullshit he's driving like a Grandma! He may have slightly curbed the flat-shifting (which was most likely the reason for the first death), but it was only the other day I was speaking to him about overtaking someone sideways...on a closed road of course Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously though, have you thought about adjusting your driving style?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 20:47

Bullshit he's driving like a Grandma! He may have slightly curbed the flat-shifting (which was most likely the reason for the first death), but it was only the other day I was speaking to him about overtaking someone sideways...on a closed road of course Laughing

LOL I should be careful what I say! Laughing Cruzsida is half right, I'm shifting like a grandma, but I still give it arseholes in-gear. So far so good, I've got about 6 months out of this box!

Yes the W5x is a bit fragile behind a 2JZ (hence the upcoming V161 conversion), but I wouldn't have a problem putting one behind a 1G, even a 400hp 1G. That said, if it's being used for racing (especially drag racing) it's going to die sooner or later. Nothing kills gearboxes quicker than a good 60ft time.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 26 May 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will be interesting too see how you will fit the R154 in the transmission tunnel of the gemini, I am assuming that you own the red single turbo 1G powered one?

the R154 is a big ass box, that said, its also a very strong mofo, im hoping I dont smash mine soon becuase they are becoming harder to find.

BTW I love your car, 1G's in little cars rock Wink
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Fri, 27 May 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 22:06

LOL I should be careful what I say! Laughing Cruzsida is half right, I'm shifting like a grandma, but I still give it arseholes in-gear. So far so good, I've got about 6 months out of this box!

Yes the W5x is a bit fragile behind a 2JZ (hence the upcoming V161 conversion), but I wouldn't have a problem putting one behind a 1G, even a 400hp 1G. That said, if it's being used for racing (especially drag racing) it's going to die sooner or later. Nothing kills gearboxes quicker than a good 60ft time.

double clutching when he should of been granny shifting lol stupid movie
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sat, 28 May 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I too have witnessed Norbies driving style, and im damn sure if his w55 is holding up to a 2jz with the power he is putting through it, a t50 should hold up to your 1ggte.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sat, 28 May 2005 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol @ T50

"id use one as a paperwieght but its too fucking small" Laughing

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sat, 28 May 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry guys, but this was his question. I don't think he asked whether or not he should be swapping in an R154. If he has already smashed all those boxes and wants to upgrade to something stronger then why stop him?

16OTU wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 20:13

I'm chasing an adapter plate or bell housing to bolt a R154 bell housing to a 1GGTE and a tail shaft yoke. Still waiting on a reply from Dellow and want to know if anyone else had 1 or done this before.
Ron

BTW I vote for a C4 or a Turbo400 swap Evil or Very Mad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 29 May 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The question has already been answered, there is no such thing available off the shelf.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 29 May 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So far so good, I've got about 6 months out of this box!

I guess I spoke too soon. RIP W5x number 3. Sad
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 29 May 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 18:16

pics?

likelihood of being close (in quanta of damage) to the fubar'd W58 that wilbo got?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 29 May 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am sooo glad I went for the R154 instead of the W58...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 29 May 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine is still soldiering on, and it cops plenty of hard use
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 29 May 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 18:22

pics?

likelihood of being close (in quanta of damage) to the fubar'd W58 that wilbo got?

It hasn't completely self-destructed yet, but it's making the all-too-familiar missing-tooth noise. I know any attempt to drive it again will result in disaster, so it's officially off the road until the 6-speed arrives. Good thing that's not long to wait!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 29 May 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 18:16

haha, go team norbie! he strikes again *cue 'another one bites the dust theme music'*

Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 29 May 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.hajioff.com/webmusik/rockpop/aobtd.mid
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 29 May 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 18:03

mine is still soldiering on, and it cops plenty of hard use

well with my driving style and my clutch, i reckon I would have had one mashed in a month...
16OTU
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Mon, 30 May 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I am fairly easy on it and I don't do hard launches as I know that kills boxs. Only 1 box has blown as I punched 3rd, 2 while in gear acceleratoring in 2nd and 3rd and the 1st one cause i was spinning right throught to 4th and pciked up the front bearing when I backed off. The 1st 2 boxes lasted a year when I had 350 rwhp but the last 2 only a few months at best with 410 rwhp. I want to go further with the hp but theres no point untill I can stop it breaking things.

I already have the box and yes they are quite a bit bigger but should just fit on the hole. Yes it is the red gemini with the t04r single.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Mon, 30 May 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just convert to Auto.

You'll be quicker.
16OTU
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Mon, 30 May 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i would if it was a pure track car but its not and i hate driving auto's on the street.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Mon, 30 May 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could get a shift kit from MV automatics then..
16OTU
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 05 June 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well so far I haven't been able to get any one to make a bell housing. Dellow have said they don't make them and aren't interest in making 1 at all.
Does any one know of someone who could make a bell housing. thanks.
Ron
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Sun, 05 June 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll need to find a machine shop to make a one off.
They are never going to be in high demand so its gonna cost you lots.

Only other thing I can think of is browsing the Yahoo Japan Auctions for some crazy jap who has done the same.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Mon, 06 June 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And when you sort the bellhousing the flywheel will be the next problem.Do you plan a custom flywheel or adapting your present clutch setup somehow? personally interested.........
Cheers.pete.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Mon, 06 June 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I spoke to Hardcore Racing, I asked them who did the bell housing for the 1jz to C4 and they said they made it themselves so you could try them. They would probably be expensive compared to a regular machinist place.

Also, my mechanic (on Sunshine Coast) just made a flywheel to suit 1jz to W58, so if you are stuck I am sure he could do one for you.
16OTU
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Tue, 07 June 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I can get a bell housing made in the W58 style to use its clutch fork and slave cylinder, then I can use my flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Don't want to use the pull clutch if I can help it.
I know the brothers at hardcore so might ask them and see. Have also been look in to a gear set for the W58 and stronger bearings (still waiting on a reply).
Ron
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Tue, 07 June 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would be interested to know what mods you have done to this 1G???
16OTU
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 09 June 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I have found someone in NZ willing to cast a whole new bell housing. Just need to try and find another W58 housing to suit a 1GGTE so he can make a mold from it. If I do go this way it will make it posible for anyone to buy these bell housings. Have no idea of cost at the moment till he sees a bell housing. He has made heaps of bell housing to suit R154 boxs for all types of cars.
So does anyone have a bell hopusing they want to sell?
Ron
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 09 June 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 7m to R154 available $250,sold a 1ggte to w58 recently for $100.cheers.Pete.
16OTU
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: R154 conversion to 1GGTE Thu, 09 June 2005 22:16 Go to previous message
Thanks but already have 7M to R154,
realy have to have 1GGTE to W58.
Then he will make a mould and cast a whole new bell housing.
I have one but its in the Gem at present and i don't want to take it off the road for ages while i wait for the new 1 to be made.
The search begins.
Ron
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fixing water inlet pipes on the thermostat housing (18r geu)
Next Topic:20v (power+price)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 23:14:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073020458221436 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.