Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Resonator Effect!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Resonator Effect! Thu, 26 May 2005 13:05 Go to next message
Got a bit of an issue with my st162 Celica..
Originally i had a redback muffler (Triflow i think not straight through) and the sound was perfect loudness, it was on about 89db.. Then i got the 2.25" exhaust installed and it brought up the exhaust back up to 89 (it sounded louder after i did the piping, i think the muffler got quieter when the internals packed better)...

Now recently i installed 4-2-1 extractors and the volume of the exhaust has decreased quite a bit.. The car DEFINITELY goes better but yeah its quite an annoyance..

The 2.25" piping has a resonator (i think its about a foot and a half long)... I was considering gettin this replaced with piping..

At cruising speed on the freeway u can't even tell there is an exhaust. Before hand you could hear it quite distinctively..

What would the result from replacing the resonator with just piping do? I'm after a bit louder, not keen on straight through mufflers though...

Thanx !!!
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Resonator Effect! Thu, 26 May 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most people would (or me anyway) would be stoked at added power and decreased noise!

I had a resonator fitted today - dropped my db from 93 to 88.5, it's a 3"x18" resonator, so maybe you could expect a similar noise increase?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Resonator Effect! Thu, 26 May 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 23:14

most people would (or me anyway) would be stoked at added power and decreased noise!

I had a resonator fitted today - dropped my db from 93 to 88.5, it's a 3"x18" resonator, so maybe you could expect a similar noise increase?

Interestin..
Thanx for that Draven... I miss that agressive sound from the stock piping and redback hahaha..

How did your actual pitch change? does it drone less on the freeway?
I'm just after say another 3-4db.. Was it too loud at 93db?

Thanx heaps
Adrian
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Resonator Effect! Thu, 26 May 2005 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, 93 is illegally loud, so yes it was Smile the resonator actually took a little bit of a buzz our of the exhaust, made it a bit deeper. 88.5 is still LOUD at WOT
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Resonator Effect! Thu, 26 May 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is nothing wrong with having a nice exhaust note to go mwith your power increase, its half the reason people put exhausts on their cars.

Removing the resonator would be a bad idea as the exhaust will more likely be droney and sound rather harsh which is not the kind of loud sound you want.

its strange that after fitting the extractors the exhaust got quieter!
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Resonator Effect! Fri, 27 May 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 07:42

there is nothing wrong with having a nice exhaust note to go mwith your power increase, its half the reason people put exhausts on their cars.

Removing the resonator would be a bad idea as the exhaust will more likely be droney and sound rather harsh which is not the kind of loud sound you want.

its strange that after fitting the extractors the exhaust got quieter!

I think its just evened out the sound of the exhaust, better flow now... But usually better flow equals more noise..

Still unsure what to do.. I could even change the muffler to a straight through redback, no cannons for me!!!!!
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: Resonator Effect! Fri, 27 May 2005 06:58 Go to previous message
TRD-ST162 wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 21:05

At cruising speed on the freeway u can't even tell there is an exhaust

Mate!!!! be happy with that, who wants an annoying exhuast drone when you are cruising on the freeway.

i think the answer lies in ur extractor piping. when you had them did you notice in the 4 into 2 y junctions that there is perforated length of piping in them that is smaller than the diametre of the y-junctions? i believe that this may act like a bit of a resonater/muffler and might be the cause of phenonemon that is occuring.

i may be wrong, and i can post up pics if people would like to see, but thats just matts theory

[Updated on: Fri, 27 May 2005 06:59]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:converting 84 hilux from 3Y to 2L-T
Next Topic:Speedo "ticking" noise
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 01:50:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056910514831543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.