Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 31 December 2002 05:51 Go to next message
Hi Guys

I'm after either a set of front ST185 GT4 drive shafts, or driveshafts out of an AW11 supercharged.

The celica shafts have to be from a GT4 as they will be going into an E series gearbox on a 3SGTE.

It would be nice to turn these up in Sydney but not really a problem if they're elsewhere.

Here's your chance to get a bit more garage space for all those people who've used a ST185 half cut for a rear drive conversion.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 31 December 2002 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about ST205 shafts?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 31 December 2002 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll need to find out. Do you know what diameter and number of teeth the outside end of the shaft has?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 31 December 2002 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not at the moment but I will when I get my halfcut!
4agzebuggy
Newcomer

July 2002
Re: ST185 front drive shafts Thu, 02 January 2003 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am also looking for a ST 185 gearbox if anybody has one laying around, condition does not matter i only want a gear ratio change out of it.

kevin
Necros
Regular

September 2002
icon1.gif  Re: ST185 front drive shafts Fri, 10 January 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Guys,

I have some ST185 front driveshafts (3 to be precise) for sale. And I also have a ST185RC/CS gearbox for sale too...

Make me some decent offers ;p

Regards,
Luke aka Necros
Melb
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: ST185 front drive shafts Fri, 10 January 2003 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have some ST205 front drive shafts and gearbox for sale Razz
Runx T Sport
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Re: ST185 front drive shafts Fri, 10 January 2003 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might be able to help you. How much are you willing to pay. I'm on the Gold Coast.
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 14 January 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh!

Dont wanna burst your bubble so soon, but how do you plan to use both GT4 driveshafts with a 2wd E series box?
The driver side shaft is same length as the passenger side, the extra length is taken up by the transfer case assembly bolted on to the gearbox and a extension shaft passes directly through the transfer which splines into the driveshaft (driveshaft splines into transfer case)and connects the front diff.

You need 2wd shfts, because the driver side has an extension shaft to connect the half shaft to the front diff which bolts to the back of the motor. You need AW11 shafts, or MR2 turbo shafts, Carmy V6 if you can find them (Vienta VZV21).
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 14 January 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm

According to the guys in the states that have done this conversion the MR2 Turbo also has equal length drive shafts with an extension shaft on the gearbox on the drivers side.

I know you have a MR2 box in the corolla, didn't it have any provision for equal length shafts?

A lot of the guys in the states have actually used 2 short AW11 SC shafts so that they can run the equal length shafts with the MR2 E51 box. I better do some more reseach on this one.
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 14 January 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh,

Yes it does run equal length half shafts! But what I was saying about the GT4 shafts, is the drivers shaft (the long one in a 2wd) has a spline for the transfer case directly after the inner cv joint. whether you can replace this with an extension shaft or not I dont know =[

The MR2 shafts are equal length half shafts, which has an extension shaft bolting to the back of the block and joins at the inner cv joint on the drivers side. So the shafts are equal length upto the inner cv which is whats mean when they say equal length shafts! The CV angles will be consistent on either shaft, inconsistent cv angles causes more torque steer problems and such as well as differing torque loads.
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 14 January 2003 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh,

If you're thinking about this for a 3SGTE conversion, just get an SW20 MR2 halfcut with gearbox and all because you'll need everything!. You might need AW11 shafts to use the outer cv joints incase the MR2 ones are larger splined (which I suspect). MR2 shafts also have larger input splines into the gearbox compared to the GT-Four, about 2x as thick.

Regards,

Michael
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 14 January 2003 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK it looks like I'm looking for AW11 SC shafts then.

I was basing my choice of shafts on http://www.board.mr2faq.com/showthread.php?s=& postid=942173#post942173 this post was from a guy who has done a couple of 3S conversions in AW11's. I'll just have to get some more info before I jump in.

Thanks
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: ST185 front drive shafts Tue, 14 January 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh,

What he has said is correct! Problem is you will need both inner CV Joints from the 6 bolt flange towards the gearbox, which you will get with a half cut. and you need the extension shaft (which you may need to buy a complete shaft for)
But you will also find the AW11 shafts are the same physically as the ST185 spare the inner cv joints and extension shaft.
So you can get the ST185, but you will need the other parts off the SW20 mr2.

I used a combination of both shafts too.
ST185 GT4 Outer CV Joints, with 97 SW20 MR2 shafts and inner cv joints / extension shaft.

I should also mention the Outer CV joints are the same as the ST184 FWD Celica.

Michael

[Updated on: Tue, 14 January 2003 09:53]

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: ST185 front drive shafts Wed, 15 January 2003 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK things are becoming clearer.

Yes my plan is to get a SW20 GT half cut then use the SW20 inner joints with the ST185 half shafts, as I believe the 185 shafts fit the MR2 Turbo inner joints and I know they fit into the AW11 hubs. The other option would be to use the SW20 shafts with the 185 external joints, like you have.
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: ST185 front drive shafts Wed, 15 January 2003 07:50 Go to previous message
I dont know if the splines on the driveshaft match the splines on the MR2 inner cv...you'd have to count them and measure..
but I think the way I did it is the better way. Easier! But Shaft is the same thickness on both. THink length is slightly different.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WTD:- Radiator support RA23
Next Topic:WTB: ST205 GT4/SW20 MR2 Air Bypass Valve (BOV)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 21:12:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059659481048584 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.