Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Audio installation Mon, 23 May 2005 07:41 Go to next message
do you guys know of anyone that does it cheap?
I was wondering how much it would cost to get the installation done for:
a) Head unit, 2 6x9's on the rear parcel shelf, two 4" splits in the side of front doors + amp

b) head unit, 2 6x9's + amp

It's in an AE82 Hatch if that helps.

Thanks guys Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Audio installation Mon, 23 May 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know it doesnt answer your question but if you have a day spare on the weekend its something you could do yourself, and even if you have zero experience it would still be a better job than places like strathfield car radio offer. only way to learn is try yourself, youll find its pretty easy.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Audio installation Mon, 23 May 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 18:13

i know it doesnt answer your question but if you have a day spare on the weekend its something you could do yourself, and even if you have zero experience it would still be a better job than places like strathfield car radio offer. only way to learn is try yourself, youll find its pretty easy.

i'd definitely agree with this...

The only thing that is worth paying for is the splits to install, and also possibly the amp

If you're willing to pay tho, go to Soundmaster on 97 Woodville Rd. Granville, ask for chris and he'll look after you, and they have lifetime warranty on all installations. It'd cost you a bit tho for everything
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Audio installation Mon, 23 May 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These are approx costs, that Autobarn,strathfield etc charge:

headunit - $66-80
Speakers - $40- more for splits maybe $50-60 if they have ext crossovers.
Amp - $70
And if u dont have an amp wiring kit that will be an extra cost.

Honestly though just go get some quotes, drive there and show them your car if you like. They're pretty much flat prices for everything,except if they can see there being complications.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Audio installation Mon, 23 May 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill install it ll for $100.
seriously it is piss easy, its just a case of running the wires, the amp wiring will be the hardest part
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Audio installation Mon, 23 May 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No one has mentioned remaking the parcel shelf for the 6x9's to avoid ddecapitation.

#1 priority - if head is not on shoulders can't listen to rest of system.

Head = teh easy.

Splits = marginally harder

Amp = depend on location but still not difficult

Wiring = teh hardest to avoid noise.

Seriously if anyone suggests just cutting the parcel shelf just keep driving.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Audio installation Tue, 24 May 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 09:56

No one has mentioned remaking the parcel shelf for the 6x9's to avoid ddecapitation.

#1 priority - if head is not on shoulders can't listen to rest of system.

Head = teh easy.

Splits = marginally harder

Amp = depend on location but still not difficult

Wiring = teh hardest to avoid noise.

Seriously if anyone suggests just cutting the parcel shelf just keep driving.

Assuming it is a wooden parcel shelf I think you'll find most people would cut it.

I don't think there is any major danger involved with 6x9's on a standard parcel shelf... unfastened subs have been known to smack people in the head though. (Ask Rollaboy)

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Audio installation Tue, 24 May 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the help guys!
I love this forum Very Happy
I'm really busy at the moment studying my arse off (exams soon Sad )which is why I'd rather just pay to get it done. Before I google it, does anyone have any sites or places I can go to learn more about wiring it up?

Thanks again to everyone for all your help!!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Audio installation Tue, 24 May 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have to disagree. I've seen some shoddy stuff. Esp in hatches where existing shelf (thin moulded stuff) was cut and self tappers used to hold 6x9 into it. And from name brand retail installers where not insignificant funds were paid.

Mind you i've seen car phone power and cround picked up from the airbag harness in the same place... Rolling Eyes
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Audio installation Tue, 24 May 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes if the installer didn't use speed clips and just punched selp tapers through a reasonably thin parcel shelf then yes I agree that is bad.

But I don't think having a thick chunk of MDF as a parcel shelf would be an improvement either... unless of course its very securely fastened down.
I would rather a 6x9 weighing in at a kg or two hitting me in the head than a big chunk of mdf any day!
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: Audio installation Tue, 24 May 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THINK ABOUT FUTURE PLANS! I made the mistake of putting 6x9s and 2x 6" in my shelf and then I upgraded the system and the shelf was useless and now I am stuck with MDF and cant find a second hand shelf. So if you plan on putn something in the shelf be sure you want it to be long term.

the moral of this story. Dont give a a jigsaw to Learner Driver who has just got his first stereo!

If you plan on getting an amp later down the track, get an electrician NOT STRATHFIELD to install it. or you may get your car back with a very anoying alternator wine through your speakers. I got them to install my amp and I found the Power and the RCAs down the same side of the car! BIG NO NO IN CAR AUDIO!
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: Audio installation Tue, 24 May 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where abouts are you located?
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Audio installation Tue, 24 May 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20VBTSECA wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 18:49

If you plan on getting an amp later down the track, get an electrician NOT STRATHFIELD to install it. or you may get your car back with a very anoying alternator wine through your speakers. I got them to install my amp and I found the Power and the RCAs down the same side of the car! BIG NO NO IN CAR AUDIO!

Yeh that's true. My car audio contact told me that strathfield dont really care anymore as their installers no longer work on commission, so they've lost the incentive to do a good job. They'd rather get it done quick and let it go (he used to work there)...

And running the power cable and RCA's on the same side is just stupid, because you'd get all the engine noise coming through your speakers Razz
subsonicaudio
Regular

July 2004
Re: Audio installation Thu, 26 May 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a multi meter ($15) find you acc, 12v and earthfor your head unit. depending on size of amp i'd put it under passenger seat (keeps it out of your boot so it doesn't have crap put on it and away from prying eyes) run your rcas down under the center console under the carpet to your amp (preferably get a set with the remote wire in the rca's) use one of the seats mounting bolts to earth the amp (sand all paint and sound damping away first) run as short as possible pwer cable from your battery to the amp with at least one inline fuse and keep it as far from the rca's as possible. an ae82 will have 4 inch stock speaker and youu can place the tweeter in the a-piller with any hassles. If you use the originall parcel shelf buy some MDF (NOT PLASTIC) 6x9 spacers and only cut out as much as you need to. Solder everything if you can't solder at least use crimps and insulate any joins. Not That hard I'd charge maybe $120 tops would take about an hour give or take.
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
Re: Audio installation Thu, 26 May 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude i have found these guys to be awesome. they have fitted head unit (dvd), 2 x 6" splits, 2 by 6" 4ways on the rear parcel shelf, 7" lcd monitor, 12" sub and amp (all fusion) in my ae82 for $2000

They are car audio excellence in campbelltown.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Audio installation Thu, 26 May 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
subsonicaudio wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 11:10

get a multi meter ($15) find you acc, 12v and earthfor your head unit. depending on size of amp i'd put it under passenger seat (keeps it out of your boot so it doesn't have crap put on it and away from prying eyes) run your rcas down under the center console under the carpet to your amp (preferably get a set with the remote wire in the rca's) use one of the seats mounting bolts to earth the amp (sand all paint and sound damping away first) run as short as possible pwer cable from your battery to the amp with at least one inline fuse and keep it as far from the rca's as possible. an ae82 will have 4 inch stock speaker and youu can place the tweeter in the a-piller with any hassles. If you use the originall parcel shelf buy some MDF (NOT PLASTIC) 6x9 spacers and only cut out as much as you need to. Solder everything if you can't solder at least use crimps and insulate any joins. Not That hard I'd charge maybe $120 tops would take about an hour give or take.

i hope that "give or take" leaves about 2 hours either way?

to install a deck, splits and amp would take you 2 hours minimum, dont forget you have to strip stuff back, install the shit, then put everything back as it was.

any place that could do it in an hour has me amazed!

Eldar.O.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Audio installation Thu, 26 May 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy a loom adaptor if you are going to install a head deck.

Makes the job so much simpler and lessens the likeliness that you'll get solder splashes in the car.

Makes it a lot easier to chuck the factory deck back in the car when you sell it too!
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Audio installation Thu, 26 May 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately they dont make loom adaptors for ae82's.
Also ae82's from the factory have common ground/earthing speakers at the front. you need to run either two new sets of speaker wires or run one new set and use the two factory wires for the other side.

*note: this is if you plan to run front speakers off a head unit, if their running off an external amp then there's no need to worry.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Audio installation Thu, 26 May 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh the ae82's have a double negative system or something, so you have to rewire all the speakers Surprised Was a biatch of a job, but not hard...
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
Re: Audio installation Fri, 27 May 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want it done right, by frankly the best audio installer in Sydney I'd speak to Marty at FHRX studios, I was going to get him to install my system untill I received a mutualy beneficial offer from "The Lifestyle Store." However for pure quality Marty Price is your man...
1ZZFEWagon
Regular

August 2004
Re: Audio installation Fri, 27 May 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about in Melbourne???
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Audio installation Fri, 27 May 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 00:08

yeh the ae82's have a double negative system or something, so you have to rewire all the speakers Surprised Was a biatch of a job, but not hard...

hmmm i installed my sytem in my ae82 and as far as i know it has seperate earths for the front speakers, unless it was behind th dash that they join, my system is running fine and has been for the last year so im guessing its alright
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Audio installation Fri, 27 May 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WiLo wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 15:22

dimmy77_03 wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 00:08

hmmm i installed my sytem in my ae82 and as far as i know it has seperate earths for the front speakers, unless it was behind th dash that they join, my system is running fine and has been for the last year so im guessing its alright

When your were finding your speaker wires did you use a battery to "pop" them?if you did you would find that both speakers would pop at the same time...
Unless some previous owner had fitted an aftermarket h/unit in the last 15-20yrs (ae82)(highly likely...)then they should have changed the wiring.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Audio installation Mon, 30 May 2005 06:26 Go to previous message
Word of advice: Do NOT let "proffesionals" do your installs.
They dont install your gear into your car, they hack and mash your car to fit the gear.

Go and watch a few places on the wkends doing installs. They dont care about our car. They dont care about the audio gear either. They just pump the installs out and take your money.
Speakers and head units are the easiest shit around to install.
speakers are usually unscrew, unplug, plug, screw, done.
Head units require a little more work but the hardest part in the cars ive done is figuring out which wires go to which speakers on the unit your removing. Multimeter.
Just do a bit of research on the net, read the manuals and have fun with it.

Make sure you put aside an entire wkend and you have plenty of mates and beer to help. Shit will ALWAYS go wrong so youll need time to be creative before it gets dark Smile

I have more fun putting in stereos than i do cruising around because you have a sense of accomplishment afterwards.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mx73 cressida wagon?
Next Topic:MZ20 goes 11.7sec @ 116mph
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:04:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007094144821167 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.