Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rockin rollaz
Occasional Poster

August 2004
does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 00:44 Go to next message
ive got a 79 hilux 2wd im lokin to modify anyone know a good conversion? i was thinkin a 4agze because im poor and cant have it using too much fuel, also i intend to doo most of the work myself. any ideas would be tops
  Send a private message to this user    
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2TGEU? 2TG or maybe a hybrid one of these. Cheapest and not too bad for torque would be a 3tc.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't think either of them would be really useful for a hilux, maybe something like a 3tgte or 1ggte would be better something with a bit more capacity and torque
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the weight of those old Hilux? If possible do something different try and find a half cut of a later model V6 hilux or the 1g are good.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are that poor dont even worry about contemplating an engine conversion.

Id say the best bet would be to put a block under your accelerator or put a smaller carby on perhaps.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i don't think either of them would be really useful for a hilux, maybe something like a 3tgte or 1ggte would be better something with a bit more capacity and torque

Whatever...

The motors I mentioned are both affordable and useful. 3TC have considerable amounts of torque, they are the same capacity as the 3tgte. You can do a few minor mods and these things (3TC) go very well indeed. They are just about free to get hold of and very economical to run. A 3TGTE is not a cheap motor to source nowadays and a 1ggte is not as easy to swap over. See, it's easy to be critical isn't it?

[Updated on: Fri, 27 May 2005 02:12]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i'd want a bit more than a NA 1.8l powering a ute especially if he plans to actually use it as its purpose is designed.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

im poor and cant have it using too much fuel

There, neither of your alternatives make sense, little buddy. The 3TC produces more torque than most 4AG motors.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didn't say to put a 4ag in there, and by the sounds of things if he ain't got much money for petty or a decent engine there ain't much point doing it. Why put a 3tc in that more than likely is gonna be old and tired and need money put into it. Personally for a ute you want a nice lazy motor, maybe source a 22r out of a newer hilux or 3rvfe(whatever) but they aren't cheap on fuel.
I mean this is a ute, it is used to carry loads so you wat a decent amount of low down torque to punt a decent weight around.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
appreciate your point but a 3TC is just about bullet proof. Check out juzzo'z thread on his toyota stout ute, it's up for sale. It's using a 3TC and no complaints there. Just so ya know, I used to mock 3TC's until I drove a KE rolla with a turbo blow thru carbie conversion 3TC, it fkn hammered. The stock carbie 3TC I have in one of my T18's just did a 1300km nonstop trip doing 130-140km/hr. Cost me $115 in fuel.

Even NA, 3TC's can make very good horsies with just porting, cam and extractors. Very tuff motors. Pushrods are unfashionable and not as cool as twinkies. However, most full on drag motors are pushrods, why is that so do ya think? Cos they breathe better than a twinkie ever will. For a ute I'd say it's all about the torque (3TC=115ftlbs@3500?) , economy and reliability. However, the example motor given as a likely transplant was a 4AGZE. Not a cheap motor nor a common one so I dunno.

FYI I have got a twinkie 3TGTEU powered T18 as well and I love it.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course 4Y's are $500 brand new lol. Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18rg but aren't good on fuel once again.
flyinwall
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone even thaught to ask if he actually intends to use the ute for carrying loads or is it just a sport truck if it just a sport truck a 2/3T based motor will be good as will an 18RG (what motor is in it now?)
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for starters is probably got a 12r in it
so i dont know why the hell you would bother putting a T series in it

as for compairing it to Juzzo's his came with a T series in it already so it was bolt it for him
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

for starters is probably got a 12r in it
so i dont know why the hell you would bother putting a T series in it

as for compairing it to Juzzo's his came with a T series in it already so it was bolt it for him

Just offering my two bob mate. What do you think he should put in it, since you know so much?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
22re all the way Cool ride the 198nm of torque at 2800rpm Smile
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt waste my time, but if u really wanted to put somthing in it on the cheap i think i would go for a 22r
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol

i can imagine a 2tg or a 3tc in a hilux.. would hardly pull the weight of the car at first gear.. when thinking about the hilux weighs almost twice as much many of the cars 2tg and 3tc are into. Very Happy

22r is a great engine for a hilux, easy to get some more hp out of too, if thats something he would want.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ta22lover wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 13:45

lol

i can imagine a 2tg or a 3tc in a hilux.. would hardly pull the weight of the car at first gear.. when thinking about the hilux weighs almost twice as much many of the cars 2tg and 3tc are into. Very Happy

22r is a great engine for a hilux, easy to get some more hp out of too, if thats something he would want.

thankyou someone highlighting what i was saying. The 22re is a good lazy motor and even with a car and boot full in the rona probably making it weigh around 1500-1600kg compared with its normal weight of 1080kg + driver and petty it still pulled well, sure slower than before but it still tackled the hills no problems. add to that the higher weight of the hilux and weight on the back i really couldn't see a smaller engine coping. and heck my 22re is hitting 412000kms now sure its using oil but performance hasn't suffered. Not to mention the fact they are dirt cheap and millions of them around.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Fri, 27 May 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunkyT18 wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 12:35

However, most full on drag motors are pushrods, why is that so do ya think? Cos they breathe better than a twinkie ever will.

i reckon its just cause holden and ford were shit back then and they hadnt learnt about DOHC technology. the 18rg was pretty fuken flash for its time. the good old 18rg went pretty darn well considering it was less than half the capacity of the average V8's for that era.

another reason is because 32 valves and four cams on a V8 is pretty complicated compared to the simplicity of pushrods Freak
baldrocker
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Sat, 28 May 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nissan 720
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Sat, 28 May 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ta22lover wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 11:45

lol

Im pretty sure a 79 hilux 2wd would only tip the scales at a little over 1000kg.
JFAllen
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Sat, 28 May 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 16:46

bunkyT18 wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 12:35

However, most full on drag motors are pushrods, why is that so do ya think? Cos they breathe better than a twinkie ever will.

i reckon its just cause holden and ford were shit back then and they hadnt learnt about DOHC technology. the 18rg was pretty fuken flash for its time. the good old 18rg went pretty darn well considering it was less than half the capacity of the average V8's for that era.

another reason is because 32 valves and four cams on a V8 is pretty complicated compared to the simplicity of pushrods Freak

I think you'll find the reason almost all of the Topfuel drag cars are 2V pushrod V8's is because noone outside of america is making 7, 8, 9 litre motors. and Since Americans are the only nation producing pushrod motors still, I think it's safe to assume they are backwards.

I'd almost go as far to say that pushrod motors are more complex, since they have pushrods. a twin cam without rocker arms and solid valve lifters is remarkably simple.

Jordan
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Sat, 28 May 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm...is there ever an easy or cheap conversion?
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Sat, 28 May 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1000kg for a hilux? well u may be right, but i think thats strange since crown is buildt on the same frame, and a crown pickup weights closer to 1500kg..
rockin rollaz
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Sun, 29 May 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cummon guys cut me some slack thanks for all the suggestions but getting off the topic of fuel consumption i need an engine that is easy to fit and can get the little ute going a little quicker than the stock 1.6L NA engine. im planning to dump it and maby try my hand at drifting that said is their any way of making the soggy stock suspention a little more acceptable
rockin rollaz
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: does anyone know of an easy conversion for a 79 hilux Mon, 30 May 2005 03:34 Go to previous message
its actually got a 12r also is there anyway to make the tortion bar front end stiffer of would u need new bars
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Strut brace for a Ra2X
Next Topic:KONIG REWINDS FOR AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 07:29:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060398578643799 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.