Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Western Australia Cat Converter Laws Fri, 27 May 2005 04:58 Go to next message
Hey all,

does anyone know what the legislation is on the cat converters in Western Australia....

ie, what cars need them, what cars dont, and is there any testing on existing cat converters?

if nobody is able to answer this, maybe you could point me in the right direction to find this information
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Western Australia Cat Converter Laws Fri, 27 May 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Generally if your car came with one, or you're swapping in an engine that came with one, your car must have one.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Western Australia Cat Converter Laws Fri, 27 May 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a clause for comercial veichles though that says you don't have to run a CAT (due to heat problems i.e. setting grass on fire...)
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Western Australia Cat Converter Laws Fri, 27 May 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMF has it in one regarding WA but I have not heard what Lance has said applying over here, but that does not mean that is not true.

Any car originally sold after Jan 1 1986 must have a cat convertor.

If you want to get your car over the pits and the engine takes unleaded fuel, its my advice from my actual experience, to fit a cat convertor.

If you are like me, with a pre-1986 car and a post-1986 engine, and the rules could be interpreted to read that cars before 1986 don't need a cat, regardless of the year of the engine, you are in muddy waters with the inspectors and the Police. Its a small issue not worth the hassle and argument with the cops. More below.

If you care for the environment you will run a cat.

If you want the best of all worlds, get your local muffer shop to fit a second hand cat they have pulled off a car recently, with a flange at either end, into your exhaust system.

After you are passed, unbolt the thing, knock out its internals and re-fit it, or replace it with a resonator to keep the noise at a similar level, or just get a straight through pipe fitted there. This way, by using flanges, you can always go back to what is 100% legal when/if you need to, without replacing large sections of your exhaust system.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: Western Australia Cat Converter Laws Fri, 27 May 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose my next question is, is there much point of going to all this trouble of removing the Cat?

i know chances are my 18 year old cat probably doesn't work anymore... but i will be going into an exhuast shop soonish, and im wondering if the above advice is worth going to that extra effort for...

is the gains from gutting/removing the cat worth the detrimental effect to the environment? in a non racing type environment? because lets be honest, going fast is nice, but realistically my car still has aircon and sound system so really how dedicated am i to goin fast?!

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Western Australia Cat Converter Laws Fri, 27 May 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a conscience decision that only you can make. Any advice that anyone gives you one way can be argued just as hard the other way.
FWIW, I have some contacts in the USA who, using flanges, bolt on a cat to pass annual smog inspections, bolt on a straight thru pipe for track days, and the rest of the time run a second resonator for the quiet sounds for less attention from the Police and to be neighbour friendly in the apartment block they live when they drive in/out and work on the car.....crazy but that's the livestyle and choices they want to make.....
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Western Australia Cat Converter Laws Sat, 28 May 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll also find that if you rock up to a respectable workshop and ask to "delete" the cat - they won't do it for fear of prosecution, and the fact they can make more money out of you by installing another cat!
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: Western Australia Cat Converter Laws Sat, 28 May 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the laws in NSW?

i want to get a new exhaust system on my ae93 corolla , do they come with a cat converter ?

wats a "high flow cat" cost ?? Razz
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: Western Australia Cat Converter Laws Sun, 29 May 2005 11:14 Go to previous message
i have a highflow cat cost me 300 bucks. I didnt really notice a difference in power. Its just a bit louder & i have a 20v
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE92 power steering?
Next Topic:what year did Celica's start using ULP !?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:49:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062479972839355 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.