Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HiroShiFumi
Newcomer

March 2005
Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Tue, 24 May 2005 12:21 Go to next message
Hi All,

Saw this on ebay and was thinking of getting it for my 86.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=50138&item=4551986720&rd=1

Just wondering if anyone actually know if these things work or have any experience with these.

Theres a few different ones on ebay ranging from $85- $350.

Any help and information will be apprieciated.

Thx
  Send a private message to this user    
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Tue, 24 May 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt it cause electrolylsis? (sp)?

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Tue, 24 May 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They send an electronic pulse through the body of the car and it's supposed to prevent rust...

They havn't been around long enough to be able to tell if they work or not though...
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Tue, 24 May 2005 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its been around longer then you think cause a beach tour bus that i use to wash back around '92 was trialing it.
Me dad'sbeen using it for about 6 months on his light truck and it seams good so far. Mind you he where he works is about 100m from the beach at night so its a case of salt air and dew with salt in it.
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Tue, 24 May 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a chat to your nearest shipyard....ive seen somethin similar in use on a certain class of ship in the navy...havent heard of any problems with it....we turn the unit on whilst at sea and turn it off alongside when we connect our earth lead up
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Tue, 24 May 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These things have been around forever, and they've actually been banned in a lot of country because they're a giant SCAM. Yes they work on ships/boats because they're floating in water, which gives the current somewhere to go. Cars on the other hand are sitting on 4 rubber tyres which don't conduct shit.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Wed, 25 May 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 09:37

These things have been around forever, and they've actually been banned in a lot of country because they're a giant SCAM. Yes they work on ships/boats because they're floating in water, which gives the current somewhere to go. Cars on the other hand are sitting on 4 rubber tyres which don't conduct shit.

You're thinking of a purely electrical rust protection device Norbs.

The one in the link has a sacrificial anode... i.e. a more reactive chunk of metal that you attach to the car.

These ones sort of work... its like a half arsed version of gavanising.

To make these work properly you need to put one on each panel as they don't cover a very large range.

Also if you don't remove the chunk of metal and chuck it in the bin once it gets reasonably corroded you can make the rust worse.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Wed, 25 May 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't old VW Beetles have a sacrificial anode stored in them for this very reason?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Wed, 25 May 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garbage trucks have this very same thing... a massive block of a more reactive metal than steel (eg, zinc) which is basically a rust block.

When it gets overly corroded they chuck it out and put on a new one.

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Wed, 25 May 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i knew year 12 chem would come in useful for something my understanding is though that with ships it used because you have an elctrolyte, the sea water, to allow the flow of eletrons. And hence without the electrolyte i doubt it'd work to well. Hence them using electricity to force the reaction to happen.
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Wed, 25 May 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a "Rust Arrestor" brand on my Pajero and never had a spot of rust in the 8 years I owned it - used to go beach fishing and driving heaps of time - 9 times to Fraser Island, plus countless times to Kurnell and Stockton beach..

I know a couple of people that owned them and had good results also.

If you don't beleive what I am saying - call any of the Fraser Island tour operators and ask them for their opinions...

Cheers
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Wed, 25 May 2005 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, like i said. I used to wash one of them....
madmont
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Wed, 25 May 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had the RODE electronic rust protection on my hilux 4x4 since 1991.The ERPS system is supposed to be very good as well
http://www.erps.com.au/index_erps.html
The Capacitive Coupler units are supposed to be superior to the sacrifical anode ones. The rode is a Capacitive Coupler unit.
I know one guy who has a Lexus 470 who uses one and he drives through the salt water on Fraser Island and around the rocks at Rainbow [scary, many come to grief there]

I drive along the beach and my truck is not rusty . As you can see from the photos the tour bus operators are not afraid to get their busses wet and as far as i know they use electronic rust protection.
Kingfisher ranger guided tour bus
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/mtleslie/tourbus.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/mtleslie/tourbus2.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/mtleslie/tourbus3.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:06]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Wed, 25 May 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Car/car-electroni c-protection.htm

Quote:

Countries like Canada and the U.S.A. have actually got court orders to stop these products from being sold - simply because they don't work.

Caveat Emptor.
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Thu, 26 May 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive had two of these things siting at work for the last 3 years and they still havnt sold.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Thu, 26 May 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The boss fitted one of the erps ones to one of the work utes.

It's a 2000 model Mazda Bravo with an XL body on the back.

While it doesn't get driven in the ocean like those tour buses it does get washed alot (sometimes a couple of times a week) and has clocked up over 200,000kms with not even a spec of rust.

I don't know if it helps stop rust but the boss must think it does because we just fitted the same system to the new Rodeo ute he just bought.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Thu, 26 May 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stuff em just bring on the fish oil Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
HiroShiFumi
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Thu, 26 May 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for the information and comments,

might get one to try on the sprinter, if it doesnt work might aswell stick it on myself and stop me from rusting Very Happy Very Happy
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Thu, 26 May 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
por 15

need i say anymore ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Fri, 27 May 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 23:40

por 15

need i say anymore ?

Nah, but it ain't so great when your car is already painted Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Fri, 27 May 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love the replies like...

"my car is 2-5 years old, has this system fitted and hasn't rusted, so it must work!!"

you can still pick up 30 year old cars which have not rusted, simply because they have been well looked after (ie wash off dirt, keep reapplying fishoil etc)

as far as gal goes.. with a galvanised iron roof, for example, the whole thing is coated.. when you get a scratch in the zinc, the zinc/iron area ratio is very large, so the zince effectively protects the iron. (and since the corrosion happens when wet, the whole sheet is conductive as such)

when you have just a small block (and no electrolyte) it will only protect a small area around the block.

now the prob with cars is that most of the metal is painted! this means that mots of the metal is insulated, and when you get a scratch, you set up an effective corrosion cell. even if you had a block of zinc, if it was not electrically coupled to the scratch, it's not going to do squat.. if the car was always wet, both inside and out, then it might work.

anyway, imho, the best thin gyou can do for an old car is to treat it with fishoil/wax and exclude the water and oxygen from the corossion process.

remember with all these 'electron impression etc" devices, that all the panels of you car are connected to the battery, and because of this, it's difficult to 'build up' electrons in the panels, as they always have somewhere to go... even if it did work the way they say, localised corossion cells at crack int he paint will still occur, simply because the activation energy there will be higher than any energy barrier you produce.. so you will still get the same problem corrosion at joins/bends in the body work......

meh...
GLA1
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Fri, 27 May 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On ships its called cathodic protection.
They mostly use two types of systems one being sacrificial zinc anodes (usually closer to the bronze propellors), these are checked and replaced if necessary during dry dockings, and the other being the impressed current type.
The sacrificial type replace the rust with electrons from the zinc thus eating away at the zinc blocks.
The impressed current type makes the ships hull more (electrically) positive to the electric anodes thus flowing a small current from the anode to the hull replacing the rust as it goes.
In theroy these units on EBay should work provided they are connected properly to the area being protected. (IE every panel)
Still nothing beats keeping the car clean and dry, where possible and using fish oil

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Fri, 27 May 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GLA1 wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 13:18

In theroy these units on EBay should work provided they are connected properly to the area being protected. (IE every panel)

Bah! Didn't anyone click the link I posted earlier? Heaps of info on Cathodic Protection there!

Quote:

One has to understand the principle of CP to understand that the technique works by forcing a protective flow of electrons to the metal that needs protection. For this process to work, you need a complete electrical circuit to bring the electrons back. In the case of an outboard motor on a boat, the sea water completes the circuit. In the case of a bridge, the wet soil completes the circuit. But in your car, the only way to complete the circuit on all the metal in your car is to drive into seawater or be buried in soil!
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Fri, 27 May 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not saying they work, just passing on what I have seen of them.
madmont
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Electronic Anti-Corrosion System Fri, 27 May 2005 11:11 Go to previous message
Make sure you understand the difference between the two systems being discussed here the cathodic and the capacitative units
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tough 3tg
Next Topic:T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:14:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005547046661377 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.