Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
aw11 sound system Sat, 28 May 2005 04:28 Go to next message
I have had a kenwood headunit, with kenwood comp grade 4" components in the front, and 3" fusion powerplants in the back near your head all running off a fusion 4 channel amp. But now I want bass, so I installed a 12" powerplant sub in the rear boot running off a fusion 2 channel amp, and althought the sub goes off and vibrates the boot to the s$%# house, unless the music is up really loud I hear jackall bass andf that is really depressing. so I want to know if anyone here has put a decent amount of bass into there aw11 preferable without unsing the frunk as I want to still have a spare tyre and somerwhere to keep the targa roof when i take it off.
If anyone has anyhelp for me that would be great, but if it comes down to it, I may just have to bite the bullet and put one in the front, but that will be alast resort.
  Send a private message to this user    
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: aw11 sound system Sat, 28 May 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is enough space behind the passenger seat to fit a small sub in.. either 10" or smaller... i have a 6.5" JL's ready to go in when i bother to makea box... have a look in the aw11 thread.. it has been discussed before plenty of people fit 10" subs behind the passenger seat.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: aw11 sound system Sat, 28 May 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah dude toof is right, a nice sub sounds good behind the passenger seat, it doesn't muffle it too much.

I got a 10" its a nice fit, I made the box myslef so the seat still reclines fine, but it stops 1 click from the very back, which ain't too much of a problem.

heres a pic of my install
http://img210.echo.cx/img210/9080/im0010528bu.th.jpg

the box I worked out oneday to be about 6L, the sub needs about 7L I think, so pretty close, I am sure a pro could do a nice fibreglass box the right size to fit.

[Updated on: Sat, 28 May 2005 08:34]

ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: aw11 sound system Sat, 28 May 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to boast my total lack of knowledge for this car but is it rear engine mount? put the sub in the front. they sound really weird from there.

edit

didn't really read the post befor posting back, my fault

[Updated on: Sat, 28 May 2005 12:12]

dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: aw11 sound system Sat, 28 May 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have just bought some MBquart 4" splits to go in the original 4 speaker locations (speakers up front and tweeters behind) with 85w rms they should crank quite nicely

i've also picked up a 175wrms 8" crossfire sub to go behind the passenger seat, hopefully i can fit that in without effecting seat movement at all.

i'll install it all once i've bought a hu and a 4 channel amp. we'll see how it goes.

ooh how do i remove the rear speaker surrounds, i couldn't get the cover off to look a the speaker. i got the panel loose but something was still holding it. ideas?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Sat, 28 May 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to remove the whole interior panel that surrounds the quarter window.
i got a pic of it here somewhere.

Quote:

put the sub in the front. they sound really weird from there.

subs in the front sound awesome. Wink
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: aw11 sound system Sat, 28 May 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 22:10

put the sub in the front. they sound really weird from there.

weird???

i know in my previous cars that i always try to make my subs come from front of the vehicle, by setting very low hp on my mids and very low lp on my sub. that way bass is blend in very well with speakers and actually sounds like splits are playing all the bass

i think in the mr2 you can get nice sounding system easier since you can put the sub in front it wont feel as so the music and bass is all over the car in seperate location

only problem i can probably think of is the cabin of the mr2 is so small, its bit harder to get a nice balance between left and right because right tweeter will always be so much closer to you. kicks would get closest to equidistance but again with such small cabin and legs and dash blocking the way im not sure if sounds lifted high enough
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: aw11 sound system Sat, 28 May 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 18:32

yeah dude toof is right, a nice sub sounds good behind the passenger seat, it doesn't muffle it too much.

I got a 10" its a nice fit, I made the box myslef so the seat still reclines fine, but it stops 1 click from the very back, which ain't too much of a problem.

heres a pic of my install
http://img210.echo.cx/img210/9080/im0010528bu.th.jpg

the box I worked out oneday to be about 6L, the sub needs about 7L I think, so pretty close, I am sure a pro could do a nice fibreglass box the right size to fit.

are you sure 7L is recommended volume for your sub? i had a look around for sub suited to small enclosures and even IDQ and boston sub which design to work in small enclosure still requires about 0.5cuft for their 10"

i keep looking and still theirs no way i can fit an enclosure behind the seats
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Sat, 28 May 2005 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk1sc wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 23:18

i keep looking and still theirs no way i can fit an enclosure behind the seats

you obviously are not trying hard enough. have you removed the carpet backing thats behind the seats yet?

Quote:

only problem i can probably think of is the cabin of the mr2 is so small, its bit harder to get a nice balance between left and right because right tweeter will always be so much closer to you. kicks would get closest to equidistance but again with such small cabin and legs and dash blocking the way im not sure if sounds lifted high enough

only trouble i had with the feral in 6 years of competeing in audio competition was getting a good center channel, got close though. (even had my tweeters mounted on the front side of the rear view mirror at one stage). height, depth and clarity has always been great in my system, always scored good there.
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: aw11 sound system Sun, 29 May 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for all your help guys, I may have to try a 10" or 8" behind the passanger seat, I still don't wont to give up the spare tyre or a place to keep the roof. I will keep thinking and anymore ideas are always welcome.
subsonicaudio
Regular

July 2004
Re: aw11 sound system Mon, 30 May 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you remove the rear center console thing (The tape holder) from between your seats you can build quite a large box. i.e you should be able to build a sealed box to suit your fusion providing you invert mount the sub... be warned that this will provide HUGE levels of bass with very little power if you want clarity put the sub in the front, if you want to keep your spare place it behind the passenger seat (Only recommended for long trips as there wont be much room with the full size 14" spare tire behind the seat.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: aw11 sound system Mon, 30 May 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The JL 6.5" Subs only require 7L of volume for their sealed boxes, I nearly bought 2 for my SW20, they sounded awesome for their size.
Grim_Reaper
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: aw11 sound system Mon, 30 May 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you are prepared to have a custom centre box built inside or a ported one in the front. I fear you will have some issues. The FPW-1200 requires a nice 1.55 cu ft or 44 litre sealed enclosure. I am not familiar with the exact dimentions behind the drivers and passanger seats. But I recently designed an enclosure to fit in behind the drivers and passanger seat of the new VZ holden ute. To suit the F-10 perfectly as these only require a relitively small enclosure. Sadly these are no longer a continued product but the FEW-10 or FEW-10DVC could be used with similar results. Inverting the FPW-1200 like what "subsonicaudio" previously posted, will be the only practical way to house this woofer inside the vehicle. As the MR2 has a small cabin like that of utes, expect higher SPL results with less of an investment than other larger cabined vehicles. Depending on the level of skill you have building a box to suit the FPW-1200 should not prove to much of a hurdle. Good luck with it and should require and assistance or acurate enclosure volumes don't hesitate to message me.
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: aw11 sound system Mon, 30 May 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been pondering since the last time I posted, and what I have come up with is putting 2 10" fusion encounters in, one behind each seat. I will of course not buy the subs until the boxes are made and I am happy with them, as I position my seat one click from all the way back, as someone posted earlier they achived putting a 10" behind the passanger seat allowing it to go back one click from all the way. hopefully this will work for me.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: aw11 sound system Mon, 30 May 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 22:22

you need to remove the whole interior panel that surrounds the quarter window.
i got a pic of it here somewhere.

got that pic? Embarassed Very Happy
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: aw11 sound system Mon, 30 May 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

you obviously are not trying hard enough. have you removed the carpet backing thats behind the seats yet?

didnt really take notice but last time when i had carpet off i noticed really chuncky material on the carpet, if i remove it will cabin be much noisier?

i decided on front install since i dont have spare anyway (mines in the govebox tyre in a can thingy). but my enclosure still going to be small because it will be in the well only. adding mass in front plus lower to the ground hopefully give me better handling of the car. wont be loud like in the cabin
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Mon, 30 May 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr trim wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 17:24

got that pic? Embarassed Very Happy

sorry dude, it's been a hectic w/end. cant find it on my computer, might have to fire up the ol scanner and scan it from my manual.

mk1sc, removeing the thick padded shite 'might' make it a little noisier, just turn the stereo up louder.. Razz i dont have any of that stuff on my firewall (or the factory carpet for that matter).
if you build an enclosure in the frunk, port it into the cabin. i got 147db with my 2 12's. (not that i am a bass head).. Rolling Eyes

from a sound quality judges point of view, i dont think i would like to hear speakers of any sort mounted between the seats where the center console is.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Wed, 01 June 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is the only pic i can find dr trim, i am sure i had a better one somewhere.
http://img220.echo.cx/img220/7657/sidetrim10fo.th.jpg
remove the lower side panel 1st to reveale the 2 screws that hold the bottom of that panel pictured above.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to bring a thread back from the dead.

what size speakers fit behind ur head in the original speaker shrouds?

do i use my 4" splits for the front (u can put the tweeter in the middle of the cone) and then get some 4" speakers for the rear? or does it only fit a tweeter?

[Updated on: Thu, 23 June 2005 10:04]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I actually fitted 4" speakers to those spots behind your head, normally they are 3" though, sure they weren't screwed in thats impossible, I used cable ties Very Happy
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol.
coz u can get such a wide range of 3" speakers.. Shocked
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personaly i dont like the speakers location screaming into the back of my head. (my sound quality judging comes in here).
but i did at one stage have a old set of pioneer 3.5" tweets mounted there.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I don't think I'll be putting them there in the new 2 though, they are really ear piecing being so close, I am gonna try to find a new place for them, I'll let you know if I work something out thats cool Very Happy
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would have thought u'd just fade more to the front.. so the speakers behind u aren't so loud..
there must be something blatently obviously missing here..Embarassed
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr trim wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 23:27

i would have thought u'd just fade more to the front.. so the speakers behind u aren't so loud..
there must be something blatently obviously missing here..Embarassed

yes there is.... I am extremly lazy when I want to be Laughing

I could have tried that, but for the same reason as above, I have 4" splits front and rear, so it was all mid to high range, and went ohh soo loud Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well sure you can fade them out, but you might as well not have them there if you are going to do that.
from a sound quality point of view, your ears dont point backwards. in a cab the size of the 2, you dont really need rear fill, having said that i do have 6 x 9" mid bass subs down low on my rear firewall, but they dont do jack at the moment until i buy a small amp to run them.

door and kicks are the best speaker locations, up on the dash isnt too bad.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am going to try something new in the new 2, since the t-tops take up residence behind the seats, I was going to look at making a small box take up some space below the dash in the passenger foot well, this may reduce room for the passenger a bit, but screw them, actually I really should find out if this is legal first Laughing

otherwise I will have to look at a new place for the passenger roof panel....

I love the t-tops, but I need my bass Very Happy
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the misses has
Schneider deck.
schneider 4's in dash and 4's in piller behind head (trims been cut) and 6x9's betweent he seat. Its all gotta be re-wired though.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 23 June 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 23:41

I was going to look at making a small box take up some space below the dash in the passenger foot well, this may reduce room for the passenger a bit

it has been done before, small pic down the bottom of this page shows the passengers foot well mounted sub box. (and the wierd glove box mounted one.Confused)...
http://mr2sc.com/websites/articles/Fast%20Fours/me an_mister.htm
i've actualy got this mag.

Quote:

but I need my bass Very Happy

i hear ya!! Evil or Very Mad umm.. what did you say? Razz
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 07 July 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I have come up with my answer, I am happy with it

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8818/im0010882xp.th.jpg

have 4" splits in the front, 4" in the rear, factory places, behind the panel, and these 7"x10" off an amp. sounds pretty damn good, not quite as loud as the 10" sub I had in the old one, but my t-tops can stay behind the seats, but I have bass again, those 4" all round is pretty dull.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 07 July 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never thougth of doin that, might have to talk to bianca about it see if she wants a similiar setup.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 07 July 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.

couple of nights ago i put in:

pioneer 5750mp headunit
MB Quart 85Wrms 4" splits.

the hu retails at $450 currently i think.
the splits retail at around $450 aswell.

these splits are currently just running off the hu, once i get an amp i will amp them and fit my 8" midbass that'll fit nicely behind the drivers seat.

the 4" splits are so powerful, even off the headdeck that they crank enuff bass to shake the dash and the door trims. and no that's not speaker distortion. so clear that it almost hurts Laughing
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 07 July 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never heard of MB Quart, who retails them?

My plans have always been to fit the 2 out with AVI's, but I'd be keen to hear some MB Quarts.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 07 July 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mb quartz = expensive, 190$ for their budget 6" speakers.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 07 July 2005 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They're a bit cheaper than the AVI's, that's why I wouldn't mind hearing them.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: aw11 sound system Thu, 07 July 2005 21:59 Go to previous message
i got mine from motoquipe, they didn't advertise them or have them in the shop, i just told them what i wanted and they ordered them in.

they're a german speaker, and they sound wicked, and the amount of different installation options on the one speaker is insane.

highly recommended. Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:185/60/13 2nd hand tyres places in sydney ?
Next Topic:Supercharged Mini
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:54:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074138641357422 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.