Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » run power steer with 1J fan pump.WHO'S DONE IT?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
icon5.gif  run power steer with 1J fan pump.WHO'S DONE IT? Mon, 23 May 2005 15:24 Go to next message
Reading the post re 1j into VN i stumbled across norbies mention of using the hydraulic fan pump on the 1j to run the power steering.I love the sound of this!In the MX83 the stock power steer pump is in the same position as the 1j fluid fan pump so less work altering the hydraulic lines and saves "looping" the fan pump.[plus my steer pump is noisy]
I thought this info is potentially very useful so made it more visible.
Anyone got actual experience with this mod.Details please,will it last? etc etc. Cheers Pete. Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 07 June 2005 01:47]

Send a private message to this user    
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: run power steer with the fan pump on 1j? Tue, 24 May 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the hydraulic fan pump have a proper high pressure outlet fitting?
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: run power steer with the fan pump on 1j? Sat, 28 May 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip,sorry so slow with a reply.By sight and not really knowing the correct terminology:-
The stock power steer pump has a "normal" High pressure hydrulic line [swaged?] going from the p.steer pump and a spring clamp line[low pressure]on the return to the pump.
The fan pump has spring clamp fittings both from the pump and on the return line although the outgoing line looks set up to take more pressure it is not a swaged fitting.
The info seems a little cloudy which is why I asked for more info but alas it has not been forthcoming.Will try a PM to Norbie.
Cheers.Pete.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: run power steer with the fan pump on 1j? Sat, 28 May 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am very tempted to use the fan pump for running the steering in the 1JZ XF, for a couple of reasons:

1. It's in a very handy place
2. It would save getting rid of/bypassing it
3. It has a potentially useful looking solonoid on the side of it, that (might?) even work to regulate PS pressure

The problems I see are:
1. I then have to get rid of the PS pump, and rearrange the belt to work without it, which it won't do without an extra idler pulley/moving something else
2. The fan pump, while it has a proper high pressure outlet on it, looks to be much smaller than the PS pump, and may well not have the flow for the job

I'm very tempted to try it, just to see what happens, but I still have to get rid of that damned PS pump.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: run power steer with the fan pump on 1j? Sun, 29 May 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinny - take the suggestion offered in the other thread, and stick your alternator where the ps pump was!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: run power steer with the fan pump on 1j? Sun, 29 May 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed, an idea. Guess I'll be silly enough to give it a go once the engine's mounted in place, and see what happens...
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: run power steer with the fan pump on 1j? Mon, 30 May 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you guys might be struggling to have enough pressure and flow for your steering systems using that pump. I suppose the steering will be just a bit heavy thats all.

Due to the fact the outlet of the fan pump doesnt have a proper high pressure hydrauilc fitting id say it's pressure will be right down.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: run power steer with the fan pump on 1j? Mon, 30 May 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 23:55

3. It has a potentially useful looking solonoid on the side of it, that (might?) even work to regulate PS pressure

I'm very tempted to try it, just to see what happens, but I still have to get rid of that damned PS pump.

The useful looking solenoid changes fan speed with engine temp(takes it's input from the fan speed control computer) so I'm pretty sure it regulates hydraulic pressure in the fan pump (assuming higher pressure = faster fan speed).

It's worth a shot, the 1jz hydraulic fans are very underrated.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: run power steer with 1J fan pump.WHO'S DONE IT? Tue, 07 June 2005 01:46 Go to previous message
Would like to hear from someone who has done it?????????? Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Place for rebuild
Next Topic:ae86 rear susp.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 20:42:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045130252838135 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.