Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » compression test question,,........

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Matt M
Regular

January 2005
compression test question,,........ Sun, 29 May 2005 06:31 Go to next message
Hi everyone, does anyone know much about dry compression testing? what is good? The nice fellow that i have bought my 1jz off has done a dry test on my motor for me and i have no idea what is good. i have heard that 'scores' of 170 is good in a wet test. what about the dry compression test method? this is what i have been told:-

Just done a dry compression test on the engine mate

Results are

1/ 150

2/150

3/150

4/145

5/150

6/150
any help wpould be greatly appreciated. cheers Matt

Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 29 May 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is a fair result.
i wouldnt worry so much about lower results, just large differences between cylinders.
a wet compression test will help to eliminate ring leaks so you can pinpoint it as a valve problem. unless the results are bad i wouldnt worry about a wet test.
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 29 May 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey im getting my 4AGE compression tested next weekend ., i dunno wet or dry Razz

but what should it be like if everythings fine???

thanks
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 29 May 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should always test dry AND then wet - not just one.

so you can make a more educated guess about ring and valve condition.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 29 May 2005 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OUTRUN wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 15:30

hey im getting my 4AGE compression tested next weekend ., i dunno wet or dry Razz

but what should it be like if everythings fine???

thanks

I've had bigport, small port and silvertops hit 200psi on dry cold compression tests - good luck!
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: compression test question,,........ Fri, 03 June 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Clint (or anybody else?!), what's a dry comp test? Vs wet?

I've done a comp test, just pulled the plugs out just after driving it (it was up to temp) and tested, so this would be a wet right? How do i test dry?
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: compression test question,,........ Fri, 03 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a wet test is when you squirt a little bit of oil down the bores then test the compression..

if the wet test has considerably higher pressure than the dry test it usually indicates that the rings are on the way out...
a wet test will always be a bit higher though.

from memory, 170-180psi on a 4ag is good.. but i'm not 100% sure,
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: compression test question,,........ Sat, 04 June 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey ,

just done mine , im guessing dry , just took the thing off and stick the gauge thing in , and tryed starting it with right foot down couple times on each cylinder ,

and it was 210 PSI on all 4 .

this is to high yeh? whats wrong ??? Razz Razz

smallport 4AGE sx corolla

[Updated on: Sat, 04 June 2005 08:04]

barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 05 June 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OUTRUN
did you then retest each cylinder with a squirt of oil down each to compare the results????
i don't know if 210 would be considered too high, i think the more important thing is that they were all around the same mark of 210 and one cylinder didn't vary significantly from the others.
if i can find my instructions on compression tests, i have a vague recollection of high readings could have something to do with carbon build up in the cylinders, but then i could be talking out my bottom, if someone could confirm that would be great cos i can't find the instructions at all.
then if it was carbon build up there were a few things you could do to fix it, including different heat range plugs or something you could put into the cylinders to clean them out (after running for a little while but it creates LOTS of smoke).
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 05 June 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have to remember that testing a 4AG will give you much higher numbers than a 1J. Compression on a 1J is 8.5:1, where a 4AG is probably around the 10:1 mark. As mentioned above, its more important to get consistent numbers across all cylinders than to reach an specific number.
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 05 June 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no , no oil

i read in one of those books you buy from auto shops , like NOVA / COROLLA 89 - weneva,, and it said if its high it could be what you said or worn piston rings.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 05 June 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
worn piston rings i would think give a low reading as there would be leaking in the cylinders.
that would be so when dry compression testing.
with a bit of oil in the cylinders, it would seal the piston ring and then give a high value, then you could lead towards a piston ring issue.
but your values are high (and consistent) just as they are when dry, so i would fathom at a guess that there wouldn't be much wrong at all with your 210 readings, but if you are worried it is high try a method for cleaning out the carbon and then see how you go again.
personally i wouldn't bother though.
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 05 June 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks mate , dont think ill bother , the car runs fine but it seemed to be burning oil thats why the test waz done , maybe just need to fill up more oil , lol....extreemely minor oil leak so that cant be the problem.

and the oil pressure gauge in the dash , what is that really? the "pressure " of the oil huh?? Razz Razz Razz
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: compression test question,,........ Sun, 05 June 2005 15:15 Go to previous message
Quote:

and the oil pressure gauge in the dash , what is that really? the "pressure " of the oil huh??

yes.

oil pressure
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Aftermarket tachometer - Wiring ID by colour
Next Topic:2A-GE, anyone done it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 07:49:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069570541381836 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.