Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 07:15 Go to next message
Hey ppl. Im planning on completely sealing the wastegate on my standard ae101 ZE.
Ive just got a couple of questions first.

1. After doing this properly, the supercharger should just produce linear boost to redline right? What max boost pressure am i looking at achieving with STANDARD PULLEYS?

2. Will removing this mean i have done away with the ABV , (or am i talking about the same thing) and does this mean i will produce true boost as early as possible...ie not 4psi below 4000rpm

Cheers guys.........and girls...i wish Wink

-daniel-
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know buggerall about superchargers, but I'm guessing there's a REALLY good reason why people upgrade their pulleys, and I have a feeling it's because there is no wastegate - having no exhaust gases flowing through it and such
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the wastegate is a turbo thing - you don't have one.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds a bit dodgy and dodgy never works with forced induction lol trust me
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pull the ABV (it's a Air Bypass Valve, not a wastegate) off anyways and block the holes it leaves, it's a good door stop and thats about it!
you wont gain you anymore boost (well some people have seen a minor difference), you need to get either a larger crank pulley or a custom smaller s/c pulley.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep no probs.
What is the difference between the ABV and a wastegate?

What i fail to understand is :
if after the ABV is completely removed (and holes sealed) why is there no increase in boost pressure?

If the SC produces 8psi at 4000rpm and its rpm is directly proportional to crank rpm, and pressure produced is directly proportional to sc rpm, where does the extra boost pressure produced go at higher engine rpm?

Cheers ppl
Smile
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1)an abv lets air bypass the throttle plate.
a wastegate allows exhaust to bypass the turbine.

2)into the engine

[Updated on: Sun, 29 May 2005 11:51]

ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did this on my gze, remove the ABV i mean, and put a blanking plate over the hole so that as much air as the sc pushed was going into the inlet..

it didnt make much difference, but it wasnt a hard mod for me to do so it didnt bother me....

to make more boost you have to get a bigger crank pulley or smaller sc pulley.

or a turbo Evil or Very Mad
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm is there another abv?
because removing the abv im thinking of wont let any more pressure into the engine. since the abv only bypasses the throttle plate, its still going to end up in the engine. plus the abv should seal up anyway so air wont get through when it's closed.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool man, thats exactly what i intend to do.

However it still doesn't explain to me why the SC makes 8psi at 4000rpm and still 8psi at 7000rpm...im not sure i understand these superchargers exactly but i thought boost pressure was directly related to SC rpm???

By installing a larger crank pulley or smaller SC pulley you are making more boost by effectively spinning the SC faster, just as you are spinning it faster at 7000rpm compared to 4000rpm in the paragraph above... why then no extra boost?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The SC12 is a positive displacement blower. It moves ~1200cc of air per revolution. The resistance to this air enterring the engine is what determines the boost level. This is related to the volumetric efficiency of the engine and the capacity of the engine. Neither of these things change hugely with higher revs so the boost stays the same. If you increase the speed of the blower in relation to the speed of the engine then you will increase boost levels.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beautiful...thanks Mr Vice President
Surprised
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Sun, 29 May 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 22:11

The SC12 is a positive displacement blower. It moves ~1200cc of air per revolution. The resistance to this air enterring the engine is what determines the boost level. This is related to the volumetric efficiency of the engine and the capacity of the engine. Neither of these things change hugely with higher revs so the boost stays the same. If you increase the speed of the blower in relation to the speed of the engine then you will increase boost levels.

Well put !! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

by the way how is your AW11 going ?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Mon, 30 May 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VERY VERY slowly.

I've got a week off before the long weekend and I'll be trying to have it running for the Brisbane all Toyota day. I really don't like my chances at the moment but we'll see.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Mon, 30 May 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you feel a desperate need to block the ABV, a 20c piece fits perfectly in the hose...
leaven
Regular

June 2004
Re: Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost?? Wed, 01 June 2005 06:09 Go to previous message
I got a diagram on how to do this and found it shit easy.

http://www.mr2sc.com/websites/tech/abvlines.htm

Hope it helps

Might be something to put in Toymods Articles
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tailshaft bolts. What where and how much?
Next Topic:newbie clutch question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 12:01:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044379234313965 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.