Toymods » Tech & Conversions » daily driver problems, won't fire over

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
papercut
Regular

April 2003
daily driver problems, won't fire over Mon, 30 May 2005 02:04 Go to next message
hey guys

i got a 89 magna which i take to work everday, it goes fine, long warm up, few nibbly problems, but haven't had much drama..... UNTIL last night!

i hadn't driven her for about 2 days, and when i hopped in last night, i gave it some gas before i turned the key and started to fire her up, was abit sluggish (normal) but eventually it turned over and began idling.

about 10 secs later, it just died instantly. I tried to start it up again, but it just wouldn't turn over, would just crank and crank and crank.

i tried again this morning, no success - same problem

I topped up oil, went and got a jerry can with more fuel, checked all the wiring i could, opened up the air,filter/choke, and even tried to jump it with another car.

whats the go? anyone could lead me to any tips in diagnosing the prob? its so frustratin because its on a hill and i gotta get it out of there before my folks get back Crying or Very Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: daily driver problems, won't fire over Mon, 30 May 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Start with the basics - fuel, spark, compression. If you have all three the engine will at least kick.
papercut
Regular

April 2003
Re: daily driver problems, won't fire over Mon, 30 May 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm how would i check compression?
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: daily driver problems, won't fire over Mon, 30 May 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
papercut wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 13:01

You should hear the motor load up as it turns over if it still has comp.Or do it the right way if you have a comp tester.
Being a TN/TP Magna it's most likely the dist or coil has decided to stop working as this was a problem with them.
Pull a spark plug lead off and connect a spare plug into it and earth it somewhere and then wind the motor over and check for spark.If none the look at either coil or dist and go from there.

EDIT I'm assuming it is a carby model and not injected.If it's injected then the plug on the dist is probably shitty,give the terminals a clean and it should spring into life.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 May 2005 05:17]

papercut
Regular

April 2003
Re: daily driver problems, won't fire over Mon, 30 May 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.J.H wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 15:13

papercut wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 13:01

You should hear the motor load up as it turns over if it still has comp.Or do it the right way if you have a comp tester.
Being a TN/TP Magna it's most likely the dist or coil has decided to stop working as this was a problem with them.
Pull a spark plug lead off and connect a spare plug into it and earth it somewhere and then wind the motor over and check for spark.If none the look at either coil or dist and go from there.

EDIT I'm assuming it is a carby model and not injected.If it's injected then the plug on the dist is probably shitty,give the terminals a clean and it should spring into life.

thanks.

I went down and did what you said of putting a spare sparkie in, it DID spark, so does that mean the dizzy is fine? Or do i have to go thru all of the plugs?

I tried to start it just then and it fired for like 1 sec, but not even stepping on the throttle could hold it up.

Could the problem be that fuel is flooded?

[Updated on: Mon, 30 May 2005 05:55]

M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: daily driver problems, won't fire over Mon, 30 May 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just need to check the one for spark.
Could just be flooded or if it's on a hill the fuel might not be getting to the pickup in the tank if it's a bit low.
Put some fuel down the carb and prop the choke open,if it goes the it is a fuel pump/pickup prob.The use an elec pump in the tank so take a hose off the carb or somewhere to check for flow if need be.
papercut
Regular

April 2003
Re: daily driver problems, won't fire over Mon, 30 May 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.J.H wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 16:30

Just need to check the one for spark.
Could just be flooded or if it's on a hill the fuel might not be getting to the pickup in the tank if it's a bit low.
Put some fuel down the carb and prop the choke open,if it goes the it is a fuel pump/pickup prob.The use an elec pump in the tank so take a hose off the carb or somewhere to check for flow if need be.

it actually is on a downhill, but it never had this problem parked there before, + there is at least $10 worth in there Sad

putting it down the carb meaning in the middle of the air filter?
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: daily driver problems, won't fire over Mon, 30 May 2005 07:02 Go to previous message
Yep and hold the choke open and give it some foot and see how you go.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE Manual Conversion
Next Topic:Wheel bearings and stuff
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:38:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051348209381104 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.