Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
1ggte new problem - pic added Sun, 29 May 2005 03:50 Go to next message
I've just finished wiring up the 1g, everything is working, but it will not crank consistently. So far, i have checked the following;

Starter motor 12v main feed is fine
Solenoid trigger wire is reading 12v on cranking

Now the strange thing is, when i directly apply 12v straight from a car battery to the starter solenoid, it will click fine, i disconnect the battery from the starter "trigger" wire, put the battery back into place, and I am able to crank it once.

As soon as I stop cranking, it will not go again until I reapply straight 12v from a car battery to "reset"? the starter motor.

Why is this happening? I don't get why 12v from the trigger wire will not click the starter solenoid, yet 12v from a battery will. And if it is an earthing problem, I don't understand why after "clicking" the solenoid with the battery, the normal trigger wire is able to crank it.

Phew. I hope that is understandable.

Cheers, Matt

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:42]

Send a private message to this user    
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Sun, 29 May 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nevermind y'all, she starts now. Smile

But it won't idle properly Sad

It will rev when it starts, then drop back down to a stall.

If I manually operate the accelerator, it will rev fine (possibly a bit rough), but will again drop back down to nothing.

Unplugging the ISCV, the engine will drop right down, then rev up again, two or three times before stalling.

Cars. Mad

Cheers, Matt
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Sun, 29 May 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ISCV getting powered right? Idle speed set? Plugs in good condition? Any air leaks?

My ISCV wasn't working right when mine was hunting bigtime at idle speeds... was fucking annoying I tell ya!

Got all the main relay wiring correct? The switched and constant 12v supplies correct? Is the power to the ISCV and ecu staying on for about 2-3 seconds after turning off the ignition?

haha, there's a few Q's for ya!
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Sun, 29 May 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure all the electrical side is alright, looking at some painted marks on the adjustables (tps, idle etc.) all looks standard.

The car will idle beautifully at a certain point holding the afm flap just slightly more open than what it sits on normally at idle. I'm guessing that this is richening the mixture?

If its fine with the throttle sitting at idle position, but is happy with more fuel, there is a possibility that an air leak somewhere after the afm is sucking unmetered air in because of the vacuum at idle?

Cheers, Matt
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Sun, 29 May 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt - are you sure the fuel pump is running correctly? or have you bypassed the ECU's control of it?

if you are using the ECU to drive it - see if you can hear it turn of/off when you push the air flap inwards.

am just wondering if the lack of fuel might be pump related or even fuel pressure related?

also - if you're using the AFM that you got from me, remember that it was in a prang and that side of the car did take a hit.

btw: many congrats on getting your 1G up to stage when it actually fires up!

cheers,
Charles
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Sun, 29 May 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howdy charles, the ECU is controlling the AFM, and i'm using the AFM which came with the engine, and it doesn't look to be cracked open.

Also using the fuel pump resistor/relay that you gave me, seems to be working fine also. I may try bypassing the ECU control of the fuel pump resistor, see if full fuel pump output fixes it.

I thought it was running on the cold start injector at first, so unplugged all the injectors to see if it would fire, which it didn't. I'll double check that all my injectors are clicking at some stage, probably tomorrow when its not so dark and cold.

It seems to rev cleanly enough, just is dead at idle. Engine sits dead still revving, but rocks about abit just above idle speed.

Curses.

Cheers charles for the congrats, its been a headache/moneypit/learning experience.
AEHachiRoku
Regular

November 2004
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Sun, 29 May 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres a screw on the AFM try adjusting this. Its the same as holding the flap in the AFM open. Check idle screw on the throttle body. Check for vacuum leaks but they normally increase idle speed.

Craig
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Sun, 29 May 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't just go off adjusting that screw... been there done that.

Check that the ISCV is actually working! If it is, it is more than likely an air leak.

To me it sounds like ISCV or air leak... both can cause these conditions from what i've seen.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Sun, 29 May 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll check out the ISCV tomorrow, cheers Hydra. Going by the diagram, I should be seeing 12v at pins 2 and 5 on the ISCV (the middle pins) while 1,3,4,6 (outside ones) ground each of the coils through the ECU?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Sun, 29 May 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats right, and more specifically you should see +12v 2-3 seconds after the ignition is turned off. The B+ connector in the diagnostics plug is also on the same circuit, so this is easier to test Smile

I have a spare ISCV if you find yours is buggered, bought it thinking mine wasn't working but it turns out it's all ok! I just had issues with wiring.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have a diagram of the pins for the diagnostic plug? Mine have lost its cap which I assume had the pin information on it.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/techtip/engineerrorc odes.html

They're all pretty similar, the important ones are in the same place from memory!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My plug (1G-GZE) matches this exactly. Does anyone know what *all* the letters/codes inside the diagnostoc port mean ?
I know that most of them are check connectors, and you can only do your CEL, Fuel Pump switch off (to check fuel pressure), cat convertor sensor and oxygen sensor readings here, but what do AB, CC2, and Ts, Tc, and Tt mean ?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think they all have a function on every engine - mine has a fair few missing. If you were to look at the wiring diagram for a 7M-GTE you would probably find the answers. They usually list most/all the terminals from the diag connector and show where each wire goes to. This should be enough to at least guess close!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/d/D_05. html

There is something.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brilliant.
I was just about to say that I only have 1 wiring diagram for my car, and its in japanese and does not seem to show the check connector, but this will give me all the info I need.
Thanks mate.
Mitch.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is for a 7m-gte in a MA70...

There are heaps of 1G diagrams all over the place, here on toymods, sixworks has a whole heap too.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okey dokey, I have 12v in the right places, it seems, so airleak seems likely. But I'm not sure what you mean by 12v staying at B+ 2-3 seconds after ignition is switched off? Is there a capacitor in the ECU that holds voltage for a little while, or something?

Cheers, Matt
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The main relay should hold a closed circuit for 2-3 seconds to allow things to happen. Also, make sure you are getting 12v from the right places too Smile

Do you get a +12v from the ISCV power pins 2-3 seconds after shutting off the engine?
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Mon, 30 May 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, well that may be the problem, going by the diagram, I just used a 4 pin normally closed relay, not a specific main EFI relay. I have the proper circuit opening relay though.

So you think not holding this 12v for 2-3 seconds after shutoff could cause the problem?

Cheers, Matt
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electical gurus, help please! Tue, 31 May 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if it'll fix the problem, but it might fix it!
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Electical gurus, help please! Tue, 31 May 2005 03:56 Go to previous message
Ok, I fixed some small airleaks, and now it will hold a very rough idle. Tried driving it up the street, underload, no go, farting etc. So i'm thinking the knock sensors are retarding the timing.

I'd check the engine fault codes, but I can't figure out from the diagram how to hook up the light itself. I tried jumper-ing a 12v globe and some power onto the check light pin on the ecu, then connected the right terminals in the diagnostics connector, figuring the ECU would earth the circuit for each blink. But the bulb will just stay on once switched to ignition.

Looks like the engine is running lean, so i'm gonna check the fuel pressure. All the injectors are clicking away.

Four of my six plugs all look similar to this one;

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bamdick/plug.JPG

*Edited picture to a clearer one

This fancy schmancy plug precludes me from making any firm judgement if its lean or what, anyone care to comment?

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:44]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Flow rates of Injectors - ZE vs 100kw
Next Topic:GZ20 fuel gauge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:53:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062651634216309 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.