Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Am looking at buying a motor for conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Am looking at buying a motor for conversion Mon, 30 May 2005 05:57 Go to next message
I am looking into fitting my car with a 1G-GTE instead of the 1G-GEU thats in it (but i have an engine in mind lined up for me to buy.

My question is probably a good one for anyone to reference from. When buying a motor off someone (half cut ect) what should i look for? I know that it is bad if people don't start cars every now and again so you should probably ask that and want to here it running but is there anything else? You know learn from other peoples mistakes? Is there any law like there is for cars?(they need to be within a spec before they can go on aus roads)

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: Am looking at buying a motor for conversion Mon, 30 May 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first off congratulations on deciding to step into the world of forced induction.

anyways. firstly what car is it that you plan to do an engine swap on?

from there you should be able to get a few more ideas from people as to what would be wise. since it seems you just want to put a turbo version of the current motor in you must also realise that you need to change wiring etc and since your getting all that done why not look at a bigger motor?
im not too sure about the things your talking about but you will need to get it engineered once your finished which will mean a brake upgrade as well which will come with the half cut. at most reputable half cut selling places they should be able to offer you a waranty of some kind against the motor being stuffed as most of the cuts have been in accidents hence their reason for being wrecked. just check things on the motor like you would as if you were buying a second hand car. eg oil smell and colour, km's, all other fluids, belts etc. that should give u an idea of the cars life. should u get a cut and have a stuffed motor, the place where you got it usually replace the motor anyways so either way its not too risky.

good luck with the conversion. leigh
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Am looking at buying a motor for conversion Mon, 30 May 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would stick with the 1g-gte conversion as it will be a lot cheaper than a bigger engine. Going for a ge to a gte will be a big jump anyway.

You should do a compression test and leak down test if possible. Look for smoke etc. And all the other things sxr01r said.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Am looking at buying a motor for conversion Mon, 30 May 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the motor lined up. it is from a car that got T boned and i will be getting the whole car, not a half cut. i just wondered if there was anything i should be looking out for, but nothing really different i guess.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Am looking at buying a motor for conversion Mon, 30 May 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your best bet is probably to find some willing victim, sorry, volunteer, who knows more about these things than you do, and get them to look over the engine/fire it up etc.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Am looking at buying a motor for conversion Tue, 31 May 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats what i was thinking. even someone to look over as i did it, to point out stupid things i do. "Um the RED one is positive" (oh and i do know which way round the leads go)
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Am looking at buying a motor for conversion Tue, 31 May 2005 09:27 Go to previous message
*EDIT* My first double post.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:29]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA70 >> JZA70 begins
Next Topic:Bigger wheels, will they effect speed reading? how to adjust the speedo
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:11:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044879913330078 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.