Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
RE: Forum rules Tue, 31 May 2005 04:16 Go to next message
Hey, just read the forum rules again, 'cuz of this thread.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=70478&start=0&rid=4146&S=40c39519faf c319789e1c0a245f18640

One of the rules sais:
- Political, Religious, Racist or Sexist comments or threads are not permitted.

Now, does that mean that Political/Religious discussion is banned from the forum? Or does it mean that insulting comments about Political/Religion are banned? The other two points (racist/sexist) don't prohibit us from making threads regarding gender or race, simply that they aren't to be insulting.

Also on the point of:

3. This is an automotive forum. If you want to discuss political debates there are other forums out there for that explicit purpose.

I thought the point of the outhouse was to discuss things un-related to cars?

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

RE: Forum rules Tue, 31 May 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The "no political/religious" threads rule exists because in the past such threads that have been allowed to go on turn into a biiiiig mess and do not reflect very well on the club and the forums in general, so it is simply easier to not allow them than have moderators already busy elsewhere on the forums spend copious amounts of time moderating political and religious arguments. Simple fact is they just get messy, fast!

It's not so much that they are BANNED, but more that we dont want such discussions to take place here for the aforementioned reason. There are of course exceptions, but the rule is there to stop the fighting and attacks between forum members.

With regards to point 3...... i simply meant that if you really feel strongly about a topic that has been shut down etc, then there are other forums which are there for you to use to discuss them. Toymods forums isnt that place.

The original idea of the outhouse was a general "chit-chat" place for topics not car related.... it was not meant to be a post whoring outlet nor a heated-argument haven. Unfortunately these things sometimes happen and that is why moderating exists.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
RE: Forum rules Tue, 31 May 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, so Political discussions ARE banned. Just wondering.

I'm not saying the thread shouldn't have been locked, just so we're clear. Just wondering about the exact rules. You might wanna look at re-writting the rules so it's a little clearer. Just seperate the religious/political stuff from the racist/sexist part, make 'em 2 bullet points.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
RE: Forum rules Tue, 31 May 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm
now i understand why the toymods logo is red
wheres the stalin appreciation thread ?
seriously thou, we live in a democratic country where your supposed to be encouraged to voice your opinion and not suppress other opinions
what are we coming to when we arent allowed an opinion and freely express it ?
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
RE: Forum rules Tue, 31 May 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 22:36

hmmm
now i understand why the toymods logo is red
wheres the stalin appreciation thread ?
seriously thou, we live in a democratic country where your supposed to be encouraged to voice your opinion and not suppress other opinions
what are we coming to when we arent allowed an opinion and freely express it ?

You're expressing your opinion freely because the financial members pay to have this forum operating. The forum is there for those who aren't financial members to use freely as well but at the end of the day (and I'm not being nasty) it is their forum and you should respect their rules.
They are not obliged in any way to allow you to voice your opinion and if they want to they can supress your opinions but here they are helping out the Toyota community and letting us use this board of theirs free of charge.
If a friend said you could come over to his place and hang out and listen to music but asked you not to play any heavy metal, you wouldn't. You would respect their wishes and the same is true for the toymods board.
It isn't a legal right to use the Toymods forum, it's a privelege.

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
RE: Forum rules Tue, 31 May 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well said thu187 Cool
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
RE: Forum rules Tue, 31 May 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Shraka wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 17:10

Okay, so Political discussions ARE banned. Just wondering.

I'm not saying the thread shouldn't have been locked, just so we're clear. Just wondering about the exact rules. You might wanna look at re-writting the rules so it's a little clearer. Just seperate the religious/political stuff from the racist/sexist part, make 'em 2 bullet points.

The rules are based on limiting discussions that challenge the emotive and non-factual aspect of our persona - this is particularly applicable to religous and political discussions. In this arena there is no right or wrong, just personal feelings, beleifs and concepts. Sadly, many people are incapable of debating these topics without becoming emotional.

Racist comments are usually hit on pretty quick and hard by other members and the mods. Sexist comments abound in the Outhouse and I guess, being a male dominated forum, they get past without too much dissent or comment.

seeyuzz
river
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

RE: Forum rules Wed, 01 June 2005 04:02 Go to previous message
4dadrift,

you have been around long enough to know the reason these forums exists and the basic principles upon which they were built and currently run.

These forums exist for the purpose of benefit of the Toymods Car Club Inc and it's financial members. I do not see how political and religious discussions (ultimately ending in emotional arguments) fulfil that purpose.

And yes, the forum rules are undergoing a needed update, please be patient.

Thanks,
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I just woke up
Next Topic:new black eyed peas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:05:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055530071258545 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.