Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
sport compact classes Thu, 07 April 2005 11:47 Go to next message
I was just going through the sport compact classes and have found out that my car won't really fit into a category.

Sport RWD/AWD 2 rotor & 1 power adder min weight 2500lbs
6 cylinder & 1 power adder 3200lbs

My car is has 6 cyl and 1 power adder but will not weigh 3200lbs. I can't see why they would make it like this when my engine is actually less capacity than a 13b (2.6L).

Sport Mod: min weight for my car is 2650lbs which would be pretty close to it. This is because they split the capacity up between above or below 3L. However, this class is pretty crazy and allows slicks, open exhausts and wheelie bars so I don't think I could be competitive.

Oz Mod has the same weight classes as sport mod but has a maximum size slick tyre that can be used. It is also pretty hardcore.

Does anyone else agree with me that the Sport RWD should be divided by capacity as well as cyclinders/rotors?

My car is still a street car and as such I would prefer to race against other street cars rather than mega crazy big $$$$ ones. Anyway.
/rant
Razz

Send a private message to this user    
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: sport compact classes Thu, 07 April 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the same problem, and my car is only a 1600cc engine with 1 power adder, but I wouldn't even get close to the minimum weight...
Seems the only thing I could race in is povvo street class, bracket racing against a 15.5 second automatic crumpledoor & getting beaten cause they can run super consistent, dial in within one tenth of a second, but never run fast Mad
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 07 April 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have emailed ANDRA so will see what they have to say.

That sucks as well mate. What is the next time class up in bracket racing? If you could get into that it would be more even.

I just don't want to have to compete against 9 sec cars like the ones in Oz Mod!
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 07 April 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
step into sport rwd/awd and you will still be up against 9 sec cars. ie theo woolett

i am sure you will run in sport rwd, there was a sigma at qld running in sport rwd.

worst case you will fit into et2, still dial in so aslong as your consistant thats all that matters.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 23:45]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooh ok, so even in sport rwd/awd there are 9 second cars. I suppose I will see how I go. And as you say consistency is the key. I just don’t want to be 3 seconds slower than everyone else! Smile
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
9.71 rob barrac at wsid on saturday.

quickest et record sport rwd awd

1jz747 got runner up even with convertor issues
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is an awesome time for Rob’s evo!

Bloody good effort for Shane too! He must have been happy with that. What was he running?
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
12.1 et 118.9 mph but shitty 2.1 sixty foot.

with the heat it wouldnt come up on the convertor which he knew would be a problem carrying on from qld jambo. thinking it would be cooler than it was spent money on fixing suspension. he said it run alot straighter and didnt play up under braking like it did in qld.

i belive he is going to go with a bigger stall to get it into its boost threshold, then should be a lot more consistant. he is looking to run 1.6 - 1.7 sixty foot times on the BF GOODRICh drag radials. which with his MPH of 118 - 119 that equates to 11.2 - 11.3 et's. which is about his goal time to run in the bottom end of super street.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a plan.

Just wondering what the stall speed is at present? Is it a modded stock converter or aftermarket? What rpm does boost come in at? What stall speed is he going to get?

Hope that isn’t too many questions Smile Just trying to get my head around this stuff for when I have to choose my torque converter.

Great to see the Toyota’s being represented well!
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know its currently 3000rpm and it was done by mv automatics in sa. its the toyota convertor that came with the a340e box boost starts to build at 3000rpm but with the size wheels in his turbo it really doesnt start to move until it hits 10 psi. at 3000 rom it is making 2 psi at 4375 its making max boost which currently its running 17psi. when watching it, the car gets about 25 metres up the track before it really hits. he needs that power straight of the start and those sixty foot times will fall, and so will the et.

judging by the photos of the set up you bought i would suggest 4000 or there abouts. from what i can work out you arent going to use yours as a drive car, you may be better of to change to a c4 and get a trans brake. thats the problem with these nissan and toyota boxes they arent strong enough to transbrake, you have to rely on a correctly chosen stall speed.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 04:12]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is some good information mate. Thanks.

Yeah, I had thought of moving to a C4 or maybe a turbo400 box. I know that you can use a transbrake on these sort of boxes which is obviously an advantage but I am hesitant as it is a fair bit of work as it will need custom bellhousing, kickdown cable, tailshaft. And there is also the hassle of wiring which has already been done now. Would a c4 or turbo400 box still need to be strengthened in the same way they do with an a340e? Or is it just a recondition job and fit the stall converter and you are good to go?
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no idea chris

i had a manual when i had my kingswood.

i would assume any transmission would need to be built to handle 400 + horsepower.

do you post under bassaholic55 on peformance forums?
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also

you will need to check the sport compact rule book, i think you'll need to stick with the toyota transmission to run in sport rwd other wise you will be put into ET2.

as afar as andra meets go, they dont care, but sport compact events run different rules
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I think you would be correct but I was hoping not Smile

After seeing what Shane and Sean (MS-75) have done with the a340e it makes me want to keep using it as the only real advantage I can see is the transbrake.

Yeah, that is me. Old name and I can’t change it over there.

Ok, I will have another look over the rules tonight. Good point.
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Mon, 11 April 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youve got to know that rule book back to front without having it.

i was crewing for shane and he lost his sceond elimination to a s15. i noticed the s 15 was very very loud. when comning down the return road shane called me over and told me to grab an andra official. the s 15 wasn't complying to sport compact rules for sport rwd, he wasnt running a full exhaust system that went to OEM path to the rear of the vehicle and thus should of been disqualifed. i put up the $110 for the protest and they went and inspected the s 15 to find shane wwas right, s 15 was out and we were back in.

everything happened pretty fast as the eliminations were pretty much run one after another. so with in 30 secs shane had to be back in the car and on the line. the car was parked ages away, he had to get strapped in helmet on changed our dial in time and won the next round to get to the final. it was pretty exciting stuff.

i learned a big lesson, KNOW THE RULES FOR YOUR CLASS.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 05:38]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 12 April 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just got a response from Andra. Looks promising Smile

Hi Chris,

At this point in time, there is no need to head down a capacity/ weight
road. We are currently assessing the state of play with weights in all
classes, and a decision about the future direction should be known very
soon.

Your points are very clear and valid, and I will hold them until the time to
mount a case to head in this direction occurs.

I appreciate you taking time to email me your concerns and will endeavor to
take stapes to eliminate the problems your facing.

Cheers for now

Jason O'Halloran
ANDRA Sport Compact Director
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 12 April 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know what you mean J. But at present I still don’t really fit into a class so I will see what happens with these changes and hopefully I will be alright for sport rwd/awd. Once I know for sure what class I will be in, I will then go and learn all the rules.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 14 April 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey chris,
I was thinking about your converter speed yesterday, and my suggestion would be to actually have it dynoed with the stock converter in there before you choose a stall speed. The reason is that dynoing cars with largeish converters is difficult, and when they are turboed it's even worse. With a bigber converter, as soon as the operator loads up the rollers, the car flashes out to stall speed, hits the converter, loads up the motor and brings the boost on-all in about 3 seconds. This means the car jumps into the torque band almost instantly and torches the tyres on the rollers-making tuning it as it comes on boost quite difficult. HOWEVER, this instant torque hit is of course exactly what you want at the strip. (I found this when I first went to a big stall auto for the 5M).

The best way to do it is to dyno with the stock converter so you get a good, progressive power delivery to the dyno for ease of tuning, and also note where the boost threshold is, and then have a converter built with a stall just above the boost threshold. It'll cost a little more for the converter change post dyno, but it'll be worth it for the well tuned end result.

How close is the Corona Of Death to turning a tyre in anger?

Sean
Adelaide
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Fri, 15 April 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was actually my plan. Although I didn't have the first hand experience of dynoing big hp auto cars, I figured that there was no real point in trying to choose a stall converter before I had even driven the car.

So the auto is still stock at the moment so I will be taking it easy for a little bit. It does have one gearbox cooler (front mounted) but I think I will install another one with a fan and use my relay for the radiator thermo fan. I am also installing the oil temp guage in the pan this weekend.

I am aiming for the 21st of May to debut the car (finally!) as the soarer club is heading out to Willowbank so I would like to go with them. Have been working hard on it all the time and it is coming together but the main hassles are waiting for stupid little parts or getting incorrect ones given to me. Rolling Eyes But I will persist and it will hit the road soon.

I was actually hoping to get all the undercar stuff done this weekend so it can get some wheels back on it and get off the damn jack stands. Seems like it spends more time on jack stands than with wheels Razz

Later
Chris
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Wed, 20 April 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the new rules for sport compact

Sport RWD: 2 Rotor – 2300 pounds/ 1045kg, 4 Cylinder RWD – 2300 pounds/ 1045kg, 4 Cylinder 4WD – 2400 pounds/ 1090kg, 6 Cylinder RWD – 3100 pounds/ 1409kg, 6 Cylinder 4WD – 3200 pounds/ 1454kg

Bloody hell :mad2: I emailed about getting the <3L and >3L weight brackets included in sport RWD and instead they get rid of it for the oz mod and sport mod Confused

How can a 6 cylinder 2L have the same minimum weight as a 4.1L???

..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where did this info come from chris?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://pforums.company-hosting.com/forums/showthre ad.php?t=67189409
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was trying to find out whether sport rwd over 3200pounds 6 cyl can still run 2 power adders. 1 being turbo, 1 being n20.

i looked at the andra site, cant tell if its been updated yet though.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought it said that they got rid of the 1 and 2 power adder brackets and moved into one.

I hope this is not final about the weight brackets.
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the rule was

Minimum Weights:

RWD or 4WD 4-cylinder/2-rotor (1 power adder): 2,500 pounds, RWD or 4WD 4-cylinder/2-rotor (2 power adders): 2,750 pounds, RWD or 4WD 5-, 6-cylinder (1 power adder): 3,200 pounds, RWD or 4WD 5-, 6-cylinder (2 power adders): 3,500 pounds, All weights include driver, verified after the run. Refer weight penalties in class regulations.

so that says to me if you wiegh over 3200 pounds you can have 2 power adders. 1 being a turbo 1 being n20.

it would appear ANDRA havent upgraded the new rules yet on the website, which you think they would do prior to releasing it to other area's.

..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rule 1.6

1.6 Nitrous Oxide: Commercially available nitrous oxide permitted, including for supercharged and turbocharged engines. Nitrous bottle(s) in driver compartment must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside of driver&#8217;s compartment. Hoses from bottle(s) to solenoid must be high-pressure steel-braided. Commercially available, thermostatically controlled, blanket-type warmer accepted. Any other external heating of bottle(s) prohibited. See General Regulations1.12.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I read the new rules as Min weight 6 cyl with 1 or 2 power adders is now 3100lbs.

That still doesn’t help me though Sad
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was talking to Sean the other night and he mentioned about Shane using some sort of spray similar to a water spray on the intercooler to cool the charge and hopefully bring it up on the converter in warmer weather.
I can’t remember what the stuff was though? I am not sure if that would be allowed as you can’t have water spray.

Did you guys look into this?
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i beleive him and sean were talking about a co2 spray setup. its not a water set up

at the sport compact meet, we put a bag of ice on the intake manifold and 2 bags poured down the back of the intercooler in between runs. we then got it dry before going back out onto the track. it did bring the temps down but not enough to a point where we got more stall.

got of the phone to shane a minute ago, he has decided on a bigger stall.

Milan who ran the 11.3 at heathcote is running a 3240 with a 100hp of nos for the entire run. Milan said he is having trouble getting his above 14psi and needs the nos to help get it up.

apparently he is going to put a 2j in it instead of getting cams in his 1j.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, that is interesting about Milan’s car.

How much higher do you think Shane’s car needs to go?

In my car I would prefer a little higher stall than using N20, even if it is just off the line. I don’t know why, but I am a bit weary.

BTW 2j is cheating Razz
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Thu, 21 April 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4100rpm

in regards to n20 with a small amount its ok. hes tuner has had a lot of experience with it.

when you think about it it will be only pumping for 10 secs or so.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 03 May 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just an update

I was asked by a guy from the sport compact committee to put a request in writing. So I have done that and in it I requested they segment 6cyl >2.9L and <2.9L. I suggested >2.9L be 2700lbs and <2.9 stay at 3100lbs.

He then suggested that maybe 2.5L would be better as there is more smaller capacity engines available.

So we will see what happens. Smile
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 03 May 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good man
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just got this email:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the email concerning the weight parity in the 6 cylinder classification of Pro RWD. As you know we have earmarked the Pro RWD class as the headlining category with minimum rule restrictions. This has been done to develop the class as the fastest and quickest of all ANDRA Sport Compact classes.

The way we will achieve this is to place minimum restrictions on those competitors who wish to push the envelope in a Sport Compact orientated vehicle. Minimum engine restrictions, zero turbo restrictions, minimum weight restrictions…..the list goes on. I am extremely happy with the continual evolution of the Pro RWD field and its racers, and feel that in the next twelve months we will see many more cars joining the ranks.

Unfortunately in the search of performance and class development, there will be those racers who will be eventually left behind. This is a natural progression in any discipline of drag racing, and quite simply the strong will survive. Looking at Top Fuel for instance, the natural progression over the last 30 years has been towards big bore V8 engines that thump out over 4000Hp. No one uses small block Chevy’s or Mopar’s any more as they simply are not competitive enough.

In Sport Compact, the Pro RWD field is the considered by many as the Top Fuelers. These are the guys with the budgets and cars to compete at the very highest level. They apply monstrous HP to equally incredible machines in the search of low 7 sec/ high 6 second times.

Here at ANDRA we are acutely aware of the different levels of commitment people are prepared to make in the sport, and feel our current classes offer a very broad selection to choose from when it comes to racing. We have a class to pretty well cater for all racing needs. Our formats are simple, Head up for the Pro cars and DYO for the classes where performance is more widely varied.

Your request to have engines like the RB20 ‘handicapped’ against the class capacity maximum 4.1L is not practical. I make reference to the fact the Pro RWD field is encouraged to go fast, and encouraged to develop packages that push the limit. The RB20 has never been an engine of choice in the Pro RWD field as it is simply not competitive enough. The capacity of the engine essentially becomes irrelevant when compared to the SR20 4 cylinder, which are renowned for producing similar if not more power, and enjoy a lower weight break.

The RB20 is essentially your engine of choice, and whilst it is catered for in the Pro RWD field, it is done so against engines like the RB30/26 hybrid and 20B rotary that are known 1400hp performers. On the basis that the RB20 is your choice, I cannot alter or suggest the rules be altered to accommodate an engine that is not known for a competitive HP output, and is being used at your discretion.

I realise this will upset you, but please remember the Pro RWD field is the pointy end of the ANDRA Sport Compact classes, where the best of the Sport compete in the very fastest way.

Thank you for your email.

Jason O'Halloran

This is what I wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in regards to the Sport Compact Sport RWD class weight

brackets. I previously had emailed Jason O'Halloran with my concerns

regarding the possible segmentation of the 6 cylinder class.

The reasoning for this is that the most common engines used in this

class will be 1JZ-2JZ, Rb20-30, VG20-30, 6G72-74 and the Ford Barra240

engine. Therefore, the minimum engine capacity would probably be

around 2L. At present the weight bracket for 6 cylinder cars in Sport

RWD are 6 Cylinder RWD - 3100 pounds/ 1409kg, 6 Cylinder 4WD - 3200

pounds/ 1454kg.

To me, this rule states that a car with a 2L 6 cylinder has to weigh

the same amount as a car with a 4.1L 6 cylinder. It is obvious that

the car with the 4.1L engine is going to have an advantage.

Also, the 2 rotor 13b powered cars have a minimum weight of 2300lbs.

As the 13B is classed as a 2.6L I cannot see how it can have a

possible advantage of 800lbs over a car that could be using a 2L 6

cylinder like an RB20.

I am requesting that the 6 cylinder weight class be split up as there

is a much wider variety of engine that can be used in this class

compared to the 4 cylinder class. I would suggest that a good

segmenting point would be 2.9L. This would see cars using engines

like 2jz-gte, Rb30et, VQ35 and Barra240's racing under the same weight

break. Then cars using engines like 1g-gte, 1jz-gte, vg20det,

rb20det, rb25det and rb26dett would race under the same weight break.

I would suggest that 6 cylinder RWD cars under 2.9L have a minimum

weight of 2700lbs. This is half way between 4 cylinder RWD cars and

the current 6 cylinder RWD cars.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Chris Davey
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would appear that jason has mistaken the class ytou are talking about.

hes talking pro rwd you are talking sport rwd.

have you pointed this out to him chris?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, just sent him another one. Also explaining that the RB20 was an example. (No way I would use one! Razz)

I had emailed Chris Diggles who bought it up at the meeting and he said that it was basically put on hold. He said it goes from meeting to Jason O'Halloran then to the top board. And the top board basically don't know shit about sport compact racers as they are all hardcore top fuel lovers etc.

I am awaiting a reply on my latest email from Jason.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my email:

Hi Jason,

I was actually referring to the Sport RWD class not the Pro RWD class.
I understand where you are coming from regarding the Pro class
however.

I just feel that because sport compact is primarily focused on import
cars that segmentation between smaller and larger six cylinders would
be beneficial considering that the majority of import engines are
smaller capacity.

I don't use an RB20 but I was using that as an example of how someone
would be severely disadvantaged if they were. In fact, I am not sure
if an R32 gts-t would be allowed to race because they wouldn't weigh
enough.

I am using a Toyota 1jz-gte in a Toyota Corona. This package has the
potential to match the best cars available in Sport RWD class. The
Corona was chosen, as it is one of the lightest cars the engine can be
put in and still be street legal. This was also done long before the
Sport Compact rules were formulated. The lack of capacity against
larger engines would have been offset by the lighter weight of the
vehicle. However, if my vehicle must weigh the same as a larger
capacity vehicle then I would be severely disadvantaged.

That is not my main issue though. The main issue being that a car
like mine (and there are many others) simply does not have a class to
compete in except the ET brackets.

I am not sure what the quickest times in Sport RWD are, but I was
looking for mid to high 10's out of my car, which I think would be
close to the front of the field except the GTR's. That is if, I am
able to compete.

On a final note, I saw a picture from a recent event held at WSID and
a car I know HYPO77, a 77-model Celica fitted with a 1jz-gte was
racing in Sport RWD. I am 99% sure that this car would not weigh the
required 3200lbs. Do you know how this would happen?

Thanks

Chris Davey

his email:
Hi Chris,

Once again thanks for the email, and more importantly good points that have
been made.

As you are aware of we recently dropped the minimum weights to better
reflect the Australian orientated cars. Previous weights were a direct cut
and shut from the US, and not all cars were adequately represented through
the weights here in Australia.

The new weights come into effect as of 1st of September 2005, and they are
as follows;

Sport RWD:

2 Rotor - 2300 pounds/ 1045kg
4 Cylinder RWD - 2300 pounds/ 1045kg
4 Cylinder 4WD - 2400 pounds/ 1090kg
6 Cylinder RWD - 3100 pounds/ 1409kg
6 Cylinder 4WD - 3200 pounds/ 1454kg

OLD WEIGHTS

RWD or 4WD 4-cylinder/2-rotor (1 power adder): 2,500 pounds,
RWD or 4WD 4-cylinder/2-rotor (2 power adders): 2,750 pounds,
RWD or 4WD 5-, 6-cylinder (1 power adder): 3,200 pounds,
RWD or 4WD 5-, 6-cylinder (2 power adders): 3,500 pounds

You can see we have slashed 100 pounds out of 6 RWD 1 power adder and a
whopping 400 pounds out of 6 RWD running 2 power adders!

As you can imagine it is impossible for us to cater for every engine/ car
configuration, and whilst I understand your plight, there is very little I
can do at this point in time. I suggest you contact you local ANDRA
Division Director, and get them involved.

They represent their respective racers, and are your voice on a national
level. A rule submission to alter an existing rule is not out of the
question, and they will guide you through the process.

I am extremely keen to encourage any potential; racer into the Sport Compact
fold, and make no mistake about it....I want you to race. There is
obviously a problem with your current vehicle and its weight, so I therefore
recommend you contact your local level ANDRA personnel and take matters
further.

I hope this helps in the mean time,

Jason O'Halloran

Doesn't look too good I don't think Sad
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh it looks positive chris, it means i can go on a diet, i thought the new rule was 3500 ofr 2 power adders. you ripper.

go weigh your thing, i reckon with you in the car, remember thats how they weigh it at ANDRA, you in the car, i am sure you will meet minimum wieght, if not get the biggest fuggin nos bottle you can and run it. you will shit it in.

be positive man, where theres a race car theres a way.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate Smile

Well the rules look good for your car now don't they!

I wouldn't exactly call myself a lightweight so that should help Razz I will be able to get it weighed very soon. If I get some time, I will do it on saturday at the garbage dump Smile

I am not exactly sure what he meant by my local ANDRA Division member though? If I knew who that person was, I would gladly tell them.
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would suggest that you get on the andra website and get a super street license as you know your things going to be quicker than 12.50

that way you wont get kicked of on your first run. also you get sent regular updates of rule changes and special packages deals for different things, it also gives you a andra rule book which details your local state rep.

all your reps work out of townsville according to my rule book.

the other option would be to go to the next street meet, grab an andra official and ask them who the state rep is.

i have phoned my one on a couple of occasions and they are very helpful and polite, even though we dont drive top fuellers.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey chris-could you send me Jasons email? I need to ask him about the capacity limit.

Cheers
Sean

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 06:31]

1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sportcompact@andra.com.au

if it dont work look at the andra site, hes under staff, click on the picture if his ugly head and it will give you his email add.

he hasnt got back to my emails which i chopped him for at the weekend. said he was busy but he seems to love chris. Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, because I am a whinger Razz

Will look into the membership. I wasn't really sure which one I was required to get. So Super Street is the go then.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a question thats prolly gonna make me sound like a n00b but ill ask anyways.

Chris, why should you think your setup will give u a handy cap just because u are racing against engines up to 4.1L?

consider this might give u the opportunity to sort out the car with more precision as you have the chance to put ballast into the car wherever you want, where a heavier car doesnt have the option.

also isnt that what dial your own bracket racing is all about? I recall 1JZ.747 saying on the forums that a WRX had beaten him because it was doing consistant 14.5's all day and he couldnt catch it on his last run?

im asking cause i dont understand why your looking to get the classes changed to suit your car when from what i understand, you dont need to have the fastest and most powerful car to win your class?

hope i made sense cheers
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Tue, 31 May 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good question mate.

Yes it is a Dial your own (DYO) class so the field is evened out through that system. The reason I am requesting segmentation is that I am sure there are other cars out there that use 6 cylinder engines and weigh less than 1409kg. So as long as they abide by the other Sport RWD rules like full exhaust, street tyres etc. I don’t see why they cannot race in Sport RWD.

So as long as you can get the car up to minimum weight through extra lead or whatever being bolted in then that is ok because you are then in the field and the DYO system will make it even racing.

The other point being that having a 6cylinder engine doesn’t automatically give you an advantage over a 4 or rotary. I just think it is strange that you can run a 2L 4 cyl at 2300lbs but you would have to run a 2L 6 cyl at 3100lbs.

So the DYO system evens out the racing field but in the end drag racing for me is about going as quick as you can. So if possible, I would like to be able to run it with as little weight as possible in an attempt to go as quick as possible.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sport compact classes Wed, 01 June 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wise man once say, its easier to change yourself than to change everybody else.

you have an excellent opportunity to have a very well sorted car in the 3100lbs class using ballast, traction is more important than weight reduction.

i feel you will be more competitive in the 3100lbs class than trying to change the rules so u can be the lightest car with the biggest engine.

and no offence but you shouldnt expect the rules to be written around your car, i understand you bought and built your car before these rules were in place which is unfortunate because the way the game works is that you need to build the car to suit the rules.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: sport compact classes Wed, 01 June 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would have to add about 400kg to my corolla to fit into the rwd6 class, dont think thats gunna happen Confused
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sport compact classes Wed, 01 June 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
josh just wack a tow ball on it and tow a trailor full of drunk toymodders.

also i have another question that i couldnt find in the rules, is the 1UZ allowed to run in the compact classes?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Wed, 01 June 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know what you are saying Rob, but Jason has said that the rules were a direct copy of the US rules and as such there will need be to some changes to adapt it to Australian cars. I am just suggesting what I think may be a good idea. It would obviously be great for me, but I am sure there are many other people in Australia in the same situation as me. Ke382tg is one of them Razz

I will talk to this State rep and see what he says. If they segment them, then that would be great and if they don’t then I will just go in an ET class. I just had my heart set on Sport RWD that is all Smile

Oh, and there is no doubt being able to choose where the weight in a vehicle is placed is an advantage. I will hopefully get the car weighed this Saturday so that should clear some things up for me as I still don’t know exactly how much it weighs since all the mods.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Wed, 01 June 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Won't worry about it now I don't think. Just been told that I need to have full interior in my car which I don't have and don't want to have. ET bracket for me.
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: sport compact classes Wed, 01 June 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
straight from the andra website. s\rwd rules

6. Interior

6.1 Interior: Complete interior, including dashboard, door panels, headliner etc., mandatory. Rear seat may be removed. Two matching front seats mandatory. Aftermarket seats permitted, but must be fully upholstered. All factory controls must be retained and operative; i.e., lights, signals, horn, windows and wipers.

7. Body

7.1 Body: Any 4,5 or 6-cylinder or rotary automobile or light truck originally using RWD or 4WD permitted. FWD to RWD conversion prohibited. Mild customizing, permitted, but must retain full-bodied appearance, with minimum 2 functional doors. Doors must open and close from inside and outside. Lightweight body panels limited to bonnet, guards and boot. Aftermarket body kits permitted, but full street-legal appearance must be maintained. One-piece aftermarket front end prohibited.

7.2 Firewall: OEM firewall mandatory. See General Regulations 7.4.

7.3 Floor: OEM floor pan, front to rear, mandatory.

7.4 Street Equipment: Complete headlight and taillight assemblies (all) mandatory; must be operative.

7.5 Windshield/Windows: Complete OEM windshield and windows mandatory. Windows must be operative per factory specifications. (Must open and close via electrical or OEM mechanical means.)

7.6 Batteries: Batteries must be securely mounted; may not be located in driver compartment unless sealed off per General Regulations. See General Regulations 8.1.

8. Electrical

8.1 Ignition: Two steps, rev limiters, etc. permitted. See General Regulations 8.2, 8.3.

9. Support Group

9.1 Computer: Vehicle Management System&#8217;s prohibited. Electronic fuel Injection permitted. See General Regulation 9.2.

9.2 Data Recorder: Permitted. See General Regulations 9.3.

9.3 Fire Extinguisher System: Permitted; must be securely mounted. See General Regulations 9.4.

9.4 Tow Vehicles: Prohibited.

9.5 Warm-Ups: See General Regulations 9.10.

10. Driver

10.1 Credentials: All drivers must have a current ANDRA Licence. UDL mandatory for driver of any car running 10.99 or quicker. See Section 1 - Credentials.

10.2 Driver Restraint System: See General Regulations 10.11.

10.3 Helmet: See General Regulations 10.8.

10.4 Neck Collar: See General Regulations 10.10.

10.5 Protective Clothing: See General Regulations 10.10.

1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: sport compact classes Wed, 01 June 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris et brackets are your friend

et brackets are as harsh on trim.

Class Designation: ET proceeded by car number

NB: Unqualified vehicles from other categories will not be permitted to drop into ET Brackets, but a separate bracket for non-qualifiers may be provided by the track.

The ET Bracket categories are considered non-electronics classes. Delay devices, throttle stops, air shifters, trans-brakes, etc., or any device that transmits real-time on-track data to the driver or any remote location are prohibited. All applicable ANDRA rules apply based on elapsed time. Under-subscribed classes and non qualified competitors from other brackets may compete in this bracket, under full relevant class compliance. ET Bracket class uses a .4-second, full-countdown tree.

CLASS REQUIREMENTS

1. Engine

1.1 Engine: Any 4, 5 or 6-cylinder or rotary automobile engine permitted. 5 and 6 cylinder must be overhead-cam.

1.2 Exhaust: All cars competing in ET Bracket classes must be equipped with effective muffling devices. Any vehicle that did not come equipped with a muffler(s) from the factory permitted, provided complete, unmodified (except for header) OEM exhaust system is utilized.

1.3 Fuel: Restricted to alcohol or petrol only. Refer ANDRA General Regulations 1.6 and 1.7.

1.4 Fuel System: See General Regulations 1.8.

1.5 Liquid Overflow: See General Regulations 1.9. and 2.0

1.6 Nitrous Oxide: Commercially available nitrous oxide permitted, including for supercharged and turbocharged engines. Nitrous bottle(s) in driver compartment must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside of driver&#8217;s compartment. Hoses from bottle(s) to solenoid must be high-pressure steel-braided. Commercially available, thermostatically controlled, blanket-type warmer accepted. Any other external heating of bottle(s) prohibited. See General Regulations 1.12.

1.7 Supercharger, Turbocharger: Permitted. High-helix and screw-type superchargers prohibited. Liquid intercoolers limited to water and/ or ice ONLY. Dry or wet ice permitted in intercoolers. Units must be sealed to prevent cooling medium or fluid dropping onto track surface at any time. See General Regulations 1.13.

2. Driveline

2.1 Driveline: Driveshaft loop required on all RWD cars running 12.99 or quicker. See General Regulations 2:4.

2.2 Flywheel Shield: All manual-transmission-equipped RWD cars running 10.99 or quicker must have a flywheel shield labeled as meeting minimum SFI Spec 6.1 or 4.1 or a fabricated shield made of 1/4-inch (6mm)-steel, surrounding the bell housing 360 degrees, extending 1 inch (25mm) forward and 1 inch (25mm) rearward of the rotating clutch assembly. Shield must be securely attached to frame or frame structure, may be multi-piece. All rotary engine vehicles equipped with nitrous-oxide injection and/or turbo/supercharger running 9.99 or quicker, or any vehicle exceeding 135 mph must use a flywheel shield labeled as meeting SFI Spec 6.1 or 4.1 minimum. All FWD or transverse-mounted applications using a clutch and running quicker than 10.99 must be equipped with a flywheel shield made of 1/4-inch (6mm) minimum-thickness steel plate. Shield must surround the bell housing completely except for area of flywheel shield adjacent to differential and axle shaft. Shield may be multi-piece, with pieces bolted together using minimum 3/8-inch (10mm) diameter Grade 5 or M10 class 8.8 bolts; may be attached to engine and/or bell housing. See General Regulations 2.6.

2.3 Automatic Transmission: See General Regulations 2.1.

2.4 Rear End: See General Regulations 2.7.

3. Brakes & Suspension

3.1 Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic brakes mandatory. See General Regulations 3:1.

3.2 Steering: See General Regulations 3.3. 21

3.3 Suspension: Full, automotive-type suspension, front and rear. Minimum 1 working shock absorber per wheel, rigid-mount suspension prohibited. Lightening of stock components prohibited. See General Regulations 3.4

3.4 Wheelie Bars: Permitted. May be adjustable, but must be fixed during run. Any movement or adjustment during run prohibited. Pneumatics, hydraulics, electronics, etc. prohibited. Wheelie-bar wheels must spin free at the starting line. Any preload prohibited.

4. Frame

4.1 Ballast: Permitted. See General Regulations 4.2.

4.2 Chassis: Tube chassis permitted. See General Regulations 4.7.

4.3 Ground Clearance: Minimum 3 inches (75mm) from front of car to 12 inches (305mm) behind centerline of front axle, 2 inches (50mm) for remainder of car (except for exhaust more than 12 inches (305mm) behind centerline of front axle).

4.4 Parachute: Mandatory on any car running 140 mph or faster. See General Regulations 4.6.

4.5 Roll Bar: See General Regulations 4.7.

4.6 Roll Cage: See General Regulations 4.7.

4.7 Wheelbase: Minimum 90 inches (2885mm) unless car has original engine. Maximum wheelbase variation from left to right is 1 inch (25mm).

5. Tyres & Wheels

5.1 Tyres: Must be DOT or racing tyre. Retreads, space saver spares, or any other non-DOT approved tyres prohibited. Cars quicker than 12.50 (1/4 mile) using independent front suspension and cross ply rear tyres are not permitted to use radial from tyres.

5.2 Wheels: Must be automotive-type wheels suitable for street or racing use. Minimum wheel size 13 inches (330mm) unless originally equipped with smaller wheels and vehicle is equipped with original engine. Wheel studs must be threaded into hex portion of wheel nut a distance at least equal to the diameter of the stud. See General Regulations 5.3.22

6. Interior

6.1 Interior: Upholstery, headliners, carpets, dashboard, etc. optional. Must be equipped with one seat minimum for driver, properly installed. Holes, slots, or other openings in floor and/or firewall prohibited. See General Regulations 6.1.

7. Body

7.1 Body: Any 4,5 or 6-cylinder or rotary automobile, light truck or 4WD permitted. Mild Customizing permitted, but must retain full-bodied appearance and silhouette, with minimum 2 functional doors. Doors must open and close from inside and outside. Glass may be replaced with Lexan or other shatterproof material, minimum thickness 1/8-inch (3mm). Side windows need not be operative, but must be in fully closed position for run. See General Regulations 7.8, 7.9.

7.2 Firewall: Mandatory. See General Regulations 7.4.

7.3 Street Equipment: Headlights and taillights must be present or painted on; need not be operational except for one working taillight.

8. Electrical

8.1 Batteries: Batteries must be securely mounted; and may not be located in driver compartment unless sealed off per General Regulations. See General Regulations 8.1.

8.2 Ignition: Two steps, rev limiters, etc. permitted. Two steps, rev limiters, or any other rpm-limiting device, legal unto themselves but altered and/or installed so as to function as a down track rpm controller, prohibited. See General Regulations 8.3.

9. Support Group

9.1 Computer: Vehicle Management System&#8217;s prohibited. Electronic fuel injection permitted. See General Regulations

9.2 Data Recorder: Permitted. See General Regulations 9.3.

9.3 Fire Extinguisher System: Permitted; must be securely mounted. See General Regulations 9.4.23

9.4 Tow Vehicles: Only permitted where use of a parachute is required. See General Regulations 9:9.

9.5 Warm-Ups: See General Regulations 9:10.

10. Driver

10.1 Credentials: All drivers running 12.00 seconds or slower (1/4 mile) require ANDRA DDL as a minimum. Drivers between 11.99 and 10.99 (1/4 mile) must hold an ANDRA SSL. Drivers running quicker than 10.99 (1/4 mile) require an ANDRA UDL. See Section 1 -Credentials.

10.2 Driver Restraint System: See General Regulations 10.11.

10.3 Helmet: See General Regulations 10.8.

10.4 Neck Collar: See General Regulations 10:10.

10.5 Protective Clothing: See General Regulations 10:10.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sport compact classes Sat, 18 June 2005 01:01 Go to previous message
Just got my car weighed. Race trim which is also street trim and about 90% full tank of petrol. Weighed in at 1280kg including me and I weigh 95kg. That is 2816lbs. I was quite happy with that Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Crabs Latest Drifting fun
Next Topic:Looking at buying a 89 celica need some info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 23:37:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0094528198242188 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.