Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE92_gte
Newcomer

April 2005
icon9.gif  AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 16 May 2005 10:23 Go to next message
hey guys,

I have an AE92 hatch with 18x7.5's on it and eversince I have had them on they have scrubbed a bit in the back. At the moment I have no stereo in but when i put my subs back in they will make it worse. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did about it?

Cheers.
Brad.
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 16 May 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, smaller rims might solve your problem. Confused
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 16 May 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or put your springs back in. Laughing

Cheers

Steve
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 16 May 2005 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roll the guards slightly? Stiffer springs? Smaller wheels / lower profile rubber?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 16 May 2005 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mini tub time
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 16 May 2005 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raise the car/smaller rims (something thats legal for your car Rolling Eyes )/lower profile tyres/roll guards

just like everyone else states
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 16 May 2005 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what did you expect from a +4 wheel size fitment. They were never designed with 18's in mind Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 16 May 2005 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just putting 18s on it shouldn't make it scrub, assuming you put on the right tyre profile for the car. the 7.5" width combined with having your car lowered, and throw in incorrect offset for the car, then you'll get nice scrubbing.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 17 May 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7.5" is quite wide too for a corolla, i had series 6 rx7 rims on my old corolla and they were 16x7.5 and needed a small spacer also to add the guards need to be rolled.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 17 May 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 06:38

just putting 18s on it shouldn't make it scrub, assuming you put on the right tyre profile for the car. the 7.5" width combined with having your car lowered, and throw in incorrect offset for the car, then you'll get nice scrubbing.

agreed, if your total tyre diameter has not changed, then there is no reason for it to scrub. if you had the correct offset it would not scrub. if you want the extra wide rims for some reason, then you may need to limit your steering travel to be able to run the correct offset...
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 17 May 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets aks the really funny question: What size liquorice strips are you running?
AE92_gte
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 29 May 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got 215-35-Z18, obviously i know that it wasn't designed for 18's or lowering in mind but as if that will stop me. How many of your cars are "designed" for aftermarket turbo conversions? NONE!!! But that doesnt stop you. I was just looking for someone that had maybe done any tubbing on these and see how it went and how much trouble it was. If I wanted smart ass answers I would have asked for them. Thanks to people that take questions seriously.

Brad.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 29 May 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
215-35! thats horrific!
seriously dude. if you are considering tubbing a corolla just to fit fully sick 18in wheels on you need some re-adjustin of ur noggin
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 29 May 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey brad got a pic? maybe one looking from down the side a bit, might answer a few questions
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 29 May 2005 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE92_gte wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 17:44

If I wanted smart ass answers I would have asked for them.

I can buy the extra large condoms, but is there really a need for them? I mean, my dick was never built for them, but the wank factor of asking for them alone would be worth it?!
kwayzivietnamese
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 29 May 2005 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol.
Pump the gaurds.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 29 May 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i've got 215-35-Z18, obviously i know that it wasn't designed for 18's or lowering in mind but as if that will stop me. How many of your cars are "designed" for aftermarket turbo conversions? NONE!!! But that doesnt stop you. I was just looking for someone that had maybe done any tubbing on these and see how it went and how much trouble it was. If I wanted smart ass answers I would have asked for them. Thanks to people that take questions seriously.

guys give him a break he makes vaild point
'How many of your cars are "designed" for aftermarket turbo conversions? NONE!!! But that doesnt stop you.'

Brad Tubbing is not for you, this is like when you see on the drag cars the huge arse wheels, thats tubbing, all you need, is i would honestly see if you can get those rims in a 7" wide 7.5" is really pushing the limits of the corolla, other wise as stated rasing it will help. defintaly lip the gards, and if none of this has worked then you may need to pump the gards out, but this would cost and really it may not be worth it!.

good luck
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 30 May 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh heh,
tubbing = inwards
flaring = outwards

either is a reasonably big job, but getting rims in the correct width and offset to stop the scrubbing (assuming it is scrubbing on the side of the rubber, and not just hitting the inside of the wheel well) is a much much simpler and sensible proposition...

kinda makes you wish you;d thought about it before buying the rims huh? meh, such is life.....
Cya, Stewart

good site here http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.htm l?menu.html&tyre_bible.html

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 30 May 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the big problem with AE92's and WIDE rims.....

# The fronts arent so bad. With the correct offset and a not-too-low ride height the worst you will get is light scrubing on the inner guards at full lock. Lowering the front too much and having the wrong offset combined with turning corners will result in tearing guards/tyres

# The rear is the big problem. The standard offset keeps the wheels well within the guards (imagine ST185 GT4 rear wheels), and as such there is a lowish distance from wheel mounting face to the strut. With my old AE92 with STANDARD ride height, the rears needed around 5-8mm spacing for the 15x7" wheels to stop scrubbing on the strut tube (as the suspension compressed). Lower the car, it gets worse.

So your 18" and 7.5" width combined with more than likely a "10mm off the bumpstops bro" suspension would be causing this. Check the clearance at the rear between the strut tube and inside edge of the wheel, as well as the inside of the outer gaurd (if it has been spaced out too much this is s problem).

In all honesty 7.5" wide is too much for a corolla mate, and 18" wheels should be left for a car with 5 studs at a minimum.
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 30 May 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude! 18's on a corolla, now theres a statement.
i also have an ae92 (sx seca) and its got 17x7's. its got superlow king springs too and sometimes has 5 ppl in the car. it still scrubs but ive found with the 7" wide rims thats about the biggest width you can fit with stock guards (as it sits close to everything under the back) especiallyif u wanna drop it. if u go to a wheel repair shop they can modify the wheels to be 7" wide and prob change the offset as well. give them a try and see if they can help you out. off the top of my head i dont think theres a whole lot of 18" wheels that come in 7" width, im pretty sure they start off at 7.5. anyways if they knock a bit of width off that should fix the problem. btw are they scrubbing on the strut or on the guard itself?

hope this helps you out
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 30 May 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17s are the biggest your ment to have on the seca's. anything larger just looks out of proportion Surprised
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 30 May 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can't the gaurds just be rolled? surely half an inch cant be that bad? if its the inside thats the problem then whats wrong with a spacer? (apart from being tottaly dodgy)

I really want to see how this car looks.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 30 May 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double post my mistake

[Updated on: Mon, 30 May 2005 12:01]

Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 30 May 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey i could be wrong, but for handling, i heard the biggest you would wanna go on a fwd is 17's say 16's to be safe. n on wat i was told 7.5 is much to big for a fwd. thats jus wat i was told.

anyhow, who in their right mind wouldnt sacrifice handling for wank factor. seriously, its much more importnat to look sick sliding round the corner n hitting something/someone than actually getting round the corner.

i geuss on the other hand u could drive 'legaly'. but who here does that? Rolling Eyes lol

[Updated on: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:25]

86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mon, 30 May 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE92_gte wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 19:44

If I wanted smart ass answers I would have asked for them. Thanks to people that take questions seriously.

Brad.

In all seriousness the wheels are far too big for the car ( as others have already explained) that is the honest truth, getting smaller wheels is the solution. As for the argument of aftermarket turbo conversions vs huge wheels... the turbo conversions serve a practical purpose, wheels that size on a corolla do not.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 31 May 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eitherway give us some pics...i wanna see some mofoing 18's on an ae92!!

Surprised
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 31 May 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,

I am experiencing a similar issue with my Cadillac,.

I put 25's on it and now (for some strange reason) I have to get on a step ladder to get into the car.

Here is a pic of the car, maybe someone can tell me if my wheels are the reason for the cars increase in height.

http://ypcommando.com/images/big_wheels.jpg

Any suggesions would be greatly appreciated Razz

Cheers
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 31 May 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soaringmik wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 15:24

Hi all,

I put 25's on it and now (for some strange reason) I have to get on a step ladder to get into the car.

Here is a pic of the car, maybe someone can tell me if my wheels are the reason for the cars increase in height.

Cheers

rofl Laughing
twinentry
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 31 May 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi just to let you know that 18's are way to big for ae92 an d ae86's. The highest tyre width u can put on ae92's are 205's only. It seems that u had 215/18/35 that is way to big. U will need spacers to not make it rub.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 31 May 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soaringmik wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 15:24

Hi all,

Cheers

BWAHAHAHA Laughing Laughing Laughing that picture is gold
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 31 May 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u don't like the rubbing then sell the rims and buy some smaller ones. however much you want them to, things like this do not go away...unfortunately.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 31 May 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 10c worth:
Overall tyre diameter/circumference is around 5% bigger than stock. Doesn't sound much but it means the diameter is around 30mm larger. That combined with 7.5" rims (around 2" wider than stock) doesn't give you much room to play with offset to get wheels that will fit. Need to go to 205x30x18 to get just about spot on for wheel diameter/circumference.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 31 May 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much give would those gaurds have though in rolling them? we really need some pics here.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 31 May 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... Well I doubt anyone actually makes them, but see if you can get some 205/30 18 tyres, then you'll at least match the original rolling diameter. Almost...

Where is the tyre (wheel?!) hitting exactly? Without seeing the car, it's hard to know exactly what to suggest.

I mean, I WAS told that 17x8's wouldn't fit on my Sprinter, doesn't mean I actually listened Razz Found a handy tyre size the other day for it too: 225/35 17 (only 1.17mm different height than 185/60 14s - and I reckon I can wear 0.585mm of tread off pretty quickly!)

Having said that, I'm guessing these wheels are, in fact, rolling mirrors, and perhaps look a tad silly!
AE92_gte
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 05 June 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling mirrors? I cant stand that chrome #^%#$&. And for the dude that said turbo conversions serve a purpose, what is it? To get booked for speeding and lose your licence? How many of the people out there that have spent countless amounts of cash on making there car quick, actually use it on the track? My guess is most of them are just red light racers.

Anyway, the wheels are rubbing on the top of the outer side of the wheel on the actual wheel well. They already have spacers on them. I was thinking of putting some negative camber on them to bring that edge away from the top of the well a bit but then i have to sacrifice tyre life. I dont know how to insert pics so if you want them then send me an email on djbk1@hotmail.com and ill send em to ya.

Brad
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 05 June 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.twenteracingscene.com/fotoalbum/albums/ricers/normal_5151537Blake%2520Kercovich.jpg
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 05 June 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE92_gte wrote on Sun, 05 June 2005 11:44

They already have spacers on them.

Shocked Confused
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 05 June 2005 03:43 Go to previous message
AE92_gte calm down turbos are useful they save fuel, as you dont have to give it as much to get to a given speed!this is what i tell my wife anyway, when i unload wads of cash on diffrent things. 18s are a bit big without lots of massaging of the inner guards. the spring poundage to stop them rubbing on bumps will make for a very unsafe roadcar,unless you have 3 or 4 way adjustable penkse shocks at around $4k a corner, most shocks wont work very well with the the spring rates required. in the dry they will skip and in the wet they will be like having bald tyres. if its a show car there is no prob just be careful when driving there, but if its for day to day car you are taking a huge bet that nothing will happen.i would love to put 18's on my road car but the cost to do it so it actaully works, is way, way out of most peoples reach. you have to remmeber that 18's puts the hub centre point higher, if not the same rolling radius.which give you a geometry problem. larger diameter gives you more traction as appossed to wider width and can help over come gearing problems in lower cost racing but is harder to setup in the right way!
sorry for typos and grammer but i dont look up!
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:lightening factory flywheel
Next Topic:f series donor vehicles?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:53:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074920654296875 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.