Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
some of lifes mind bobbling questions Sun, 29 May 2005 10:51 Go to next message
im gunna take the forum way off topic

I was just thinking of something that made my brain go into shutdown allmost lol.

If you are asleep, when you wake up you dont even notice the time that went by. and cannot remember anything from when you close your eyes untill you wake up. so if you die is that what it will be like do you think? its a scary thought, one day your breathing and concious of all the things happening in your life. Then when you die and you have been eatn by worms theres nothing left of you. your gone. I wonder if this afterlife stuff is true? it would just be weird bypassing billions of years without even being able to feel time. I cant really express my thoughts on this within words so I hope I have made some sense?

anyone else got any weird un-answerable life questions?? like why chix have to be so stubborn? Wink
  Send a private message to this user    
dizzy
Regular

February 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Sun, 29 May 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor when you can't drink and drive?

Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?

Why are cigarettes sold in gas stations when smoking is prohibited there?

Do you need a silencer if you are going to shoot a mime?

If 7-11 is open 24-hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

Why is it that when you're driving and looking for an address, you turn down the volume on the radio?

Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?

How can you tell when sour cream goes bad?

If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Why are there five syllables in the word "monosyllabic"?

Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "asteroids"?

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

If the police arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?

Razz
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Sun, 29 May 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do people touch wet paint when theres a sign that sais "wet paint - do not touch" seriously, what do they think is going to happen?
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Sun, 29 May 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Are there pink lemons that make pink lemonade?
Why do we say "heads up" when we actually duck?
Whats a question with no answer called?
How do "do not walk on grass" signs get there?
When a store has double doors why do they only let you use one of them?
If there was a crumb on the table and you cut it in half, would you have two crumbs or two halves of a crumb?
"What was Captian Hook's name before he had a hook for a hand?"
Do the actors on Unsolved Mysteries ever get arrested because they look just like the criminal they are playing?
Do bald people get dandruff?
Why doesn't baking soda freeze?
What if you were to ask a genie to grant you more than three wishes for one of you wishes?
If you made biscuits with chocolate milk instead of regular milk, would they taste chocolaty?
If you rented a movie and were late returning it and then you died would someone you knew or a family member have to pay the late fee?
Can a person with no ears wear glasses?
Do the actors in the re-enactments on Americas most wanted, ever get arrested (because they were seen on TV portraying the criminal)?
Are people who are allergic to nuts allergic to coconuts too?
If someone's peeing and halfway through they die, would they keep pissing or stop?
How come French fries are not considered vegetables, since they are just deep fried potatoes?
Can you still say "Put it where the sun don't shine " on a nude beach?
Do Jewish vampires avoid crosses or Stars of David?
Why is it that when adults have multiple personalities it's schizophrenia, but when a child has imaginary friends it's cute?
If you swallow a burp does it turn into a fart?
Can you put a gay man in a straight jacket?
Do they have burglar alarms at Christian bookstores?
Why do bullies always ask "what’s your problem" when they're obviously not going to solve it?
Do stairs go up or down?
When people say, "I’m so tired it's not even funny" or "my head hurts so much it's not even funny", why would it even be funny in the first place?
Why is there a top line on lined paper if we never use it?
Do coffins have lifetime guarantees?
Why do the numbers on phones go down while the numbers on calculators go up?
If Hooters were to become a door-to-door service would they have to change
their name to Knockers?
If the sky is the limit, then what is space, over the limit?
Are children who act in rated 'R' movies allowed to see them?
Can you make a candle out of your earwax?
When French people swear do they say pardon my English?
Aren't the 'good things that come to those who wait' just the leftovers from the people that got there first?
If the swat team breaks down your door do they have to replace it later?
Can a fire truck park in the fire lane?
Can it be cloudy and foggy at the same time?
"Cute as a button" Is that supposed to be a compliment? Since when are buttons cute?
Can you breathe out of your nose and mouth at the same time?
Are marbles made of marble?
Why does the last piece of ice always stick to the bottom of the cup?
If you pay for a vacation and your plane crashes on the way there, do you get you money back? (Granted you lived)
Why did Yankee Doodle name the feather in his hat Macaroni?
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here and drink what comes out"?
Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken over there ... I'm gonna eat the first thing that comes out if its butt"?
Isn't Disney World just a people trap operated by a mouse?
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet soup?
Can you get cornered in a round room?
Why don't the hairs on your arms get split ends?
If an atheist has to go to court, do they make him swear on the Bible?
Why is it illegal to park in a handicapped parking space but its ok to use a handicapped toilet?
In that song, she'll be coming around the mountain, who is she?
How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?
Why is it that if something says, "do not eat" on the packaging it becomes extra tempting to eat?
Why are people so scared of mice, yet we all love Mickey Mouse?
Wouldn't it be smart to make the sticky stuff on envelopes taste like chocolate?
Why are the commercials for cable companies on cable but not on regular television? Don't they want the people without cable to buy the cable?
"Have you ever noticed that if you rearranged the letters in mother in law, they come out to Woman Hitler?"
Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?
Why is it that when things get wet they get darker, even though water is clear??
Why is it that when you get out of a swimming pool, your urine is hotter when you use the restroom?
Can mute people burp?
What happens if you put this side up face down while popping microwave popcorn?
Why is chopsticks one of the easiest songs to play on the piano, but the hardest thing to eat with?
How come you play at a recital, but recite at a play?
If a fork were made of gold would it still be considered silverware?
If heat rises, then shouldn't hell be cold?
Why is there that little space inside strawberries, as if it was meant for a pit, and then the seeds are on the outside?
Why isn't chocolate considered a vegetable, if chocolate comes from cocoa beans, and all beans are a vegetable?
Do they have girl’s bathrooms in gay bars?
Why is toilet bowl cleaning liquid only blue?
Why is it when we talk to God we are praying, but when God talks to us we are put into the loony bin?
Why do you go “back and forth” to town if you really must go forth before you go back?
Why doos shaped macaroni taste better than the normal kind?
Why is vanilla ice cream white when vanilla extract is brown?
Why can't you get a tan on your palms?
If your sick for one week and on one of those days they had to cancel school because of snow, do you have to make up that day in June?
Why do dogs sniff other dog’s bottoms to say hello, why don’t they just bark in their face or something?
Why do companies offer you "free gifts?" Since when has a gift NOT been free?
If something "goes without saying," why do people still say it?

http://www.crazythoughts.com/ there are pages and pages of these
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Sun, 29 May 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

rhetorical.... Rolling Eyes
meeves
Regular

July 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Sun, 29 May 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If 7-11 is open 24-hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

so the attendant can fill the shelves, clean stuff, go to the toilet, without being bothered by drunks at 2 in the morning trying to steal stuff when they turn there back
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Sun, 29 May 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how come when man landed on the moon, when they stick the flag in. why does the flag waive around if there is no gravity or wind
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Sun, 29 May 2005 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why do i still wet the bed? Mad Laughing
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

"Cute as a button" Is that supposed to be a compliment? Since when are buttons cute?

i know a guy who is scared of buttons. no shit. hes fine when they are attatched to a shirt or something but if he sees a button lying on the ground he freaks.

chris
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20VBTSECA wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 22:03

how come when man landed on the moon, when they stick the flag in. why does the flag waive around if there is no gravity or wind

because the flag actually had a metal frame along the top of it when extended, and there was a small canister of air used to make the flag "flutter"... all for the camera and the folks back home, apparently.

Sounds farfetched, have no idea if it's true, it's just what I heard in my travels.
puzzle man
Forums Junkie

Official Cruise Dude

March 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
conspiracy theory's for the moon landing.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=357074&rid=5002&S=542d3952d5644d471135 0953ea3c7c63
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scared of buttons!! lol what does he use to fastners then? im more scared of zips on pants! dont want my john thomas to get cought
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20VBTSECA wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 19:25

Why doesn't baking soda freeze?
Because its a dry product Rolling Eyes
What if you were to ask a genie to grant you more than three wishes for one of you wishes?
Its always a clause that you can't ask for more wishes
If you rented a movie and were late returning it and then you died would someone you knew or a family member have to pay the late fee?
Any debts of yours are passed on to closest family member when you die
Can you still say "Put it where the sun don't shine " on a nude beach?
I doubt you see many people giving the starfish a tan
If you swallow a burp does it turn into a fart?
Yes
If the swat team breaks down your door do they have to replace it later?
Yes
Can you breathe out of your nose and mouth at the same time?
Yes, have you ever tried it?
How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?
Who ever said 'It's colder than hell outside' ???
Why are the commercials for cable companies on cable but not on regular television? Don't they want the people without cable to buy the cable?
There are, haven't you ever seen Foxtel ads?
If a fork were made of gold would it still be considered silverware?
Ummm, no Rolling Eyes
If heat rises, then shouldn't hell be cold?
Is the centre of the earth cold?
Do they have girl’s bathrooms in gay bars?
Ummm, forgetting about the Lesbians are we?
Why is toilet bowl cleaning liquid only blue?
Its not, you can get Green too

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually your debts are obsolved by your estate and if not there they are not passed on.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unforgiven wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 21:27

Quote:

rhetorical.... Rolling Eyes

isnt it conundrum too? or am i just stupid?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its also pointless of if genuinely unanswerable and not rhetorical it could be called impossible. Rolling Eyes
missa
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not that stubborn!!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
missa wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 17:57

im not that stubborn!!

really? well thankyou for clearing that up
missa
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some usless facts Smile

More Monopoly money is printed yearly than real money throughout the world.

Penguins are not found in the North Pole

People photocopying their buttocks are the cause of 23% of all photocopier errors worldwide.

A dentist invented the Electric Chair.

Rudolf the Red-nosed reindeer was actually created as a promotional figure for Montgommery Wards department stores.

A cockroach can live nine days without its head before it starves to death.

Percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% Percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%

A whip makes a cracking sound because its tip moves faster than the speed of sound.

Walt Disney got the idea for Mickey Mouse from watching mice play in a garage, where he was forced to work, because he could not afford to rent an art studio.

About 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens each year.

About a third of all Americans flush the toilet while they're still sitting on it.

Alexander Graham Bell's wife and mother were both deaf .

The "O" when used as a prefix in Irish surnames means "descendant of."

Alfred Hitchcock did not have a belly button. It was eliminated when he was sewn up after surgery.

Cockroaches break wind every 15 minutes.

Charlie Brown's dad was a barber.

Fish scales are an ingredient in most lipsticks.

Frank Baum, the writer of "The Wizrd of OZ", looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence "Oz."

The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp (marijuana) paper.

On average, every chocolate bar contains at least three insect legs.

forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats another word for a thesaurus?>
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno look in the thesaurus.

A mega-sore-ass lol
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a few in 20VBTSECA's post that could be answered but i'm not going to as i can tell he didn't write it.

I've got a few:
What would a world with no hypothical situations be like ?
Why is is a tennis ball is served but never eaten ?
Why is phonetic (sp) spelt that way?

One more question that has been shitting me for ages mainly cuz i know i will never have proof as what will happen

Say your in you car doing the speed of light (as you do) what happens if you turn your headlights on ?
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 01:38

Say your in you car doing the speed of light (as you do) what happens if you turn your headlights on ?

1. you cant travel at the speed of light, you can get very very close, but you'll never be travelling at the same speed as light
2. you would have a hard time getting to anywhere near that speed anyway
but if this was a hypothetical situation, and you were travelling at the same speed as light, your headlights basically wouldnt come on, the light wouldnt get past the front of your car
ie, if you were close to the speed of light, the light from your headlights would move out in front of the car very slowly

(im pretty certain that would be the case, anyway)
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Depending on how close to the speed of light you're going, your lights will be infra-red or a very dull, deep red due to the wavelength of the escaping light from your headlights. If you were going backwards near the speed of light, your lights would be ultra-violet or a deep violet - depending on how fast you're going.

A redshift means something is going away so fast that the wavelength of light is being stretched out and is redominatly red 'cos red has the longest wavelength. A blueshift is the opposite, where something is coming towards you so fast that the wavelength of light is being compressed. Blue - well violet actually, has the shortest wavelength. We used to have a manager we called "Blueshift" 'cos as soon as something went wrong he'd appraoch you at almost the speed of light to kick your arse. Smile

In regards to the tennis ball question. Who cares, tennis has to be one of the most gay sports ever.

seeyuzz
river
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

How sad, replying to my own quote!

river wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 07:48

Depending on how close to the speed of light you're going, your lights will be infra-red or a very dull, deep red due to the wavelength of the escaping light from your headlights. If you were going backwards near the speed of light, your lights would be ultra-violet or a deep violet - depending on how fast you're going.

I might have them around the wrong way. I'll have to think about it now. Rolling Eyes

seeyuzz
river
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yep. I was initially incorrect. I just did a "Frasier Crane" and paced up and down and argued with myself until I got the answer.

As you approach the speed of light, going forward and your headlights on, the light from your headlights will turn blue, then violet then ultraviolet as you go faster.

If you're reversing close to the speed of light (of which I'm sure my kids do as they reverse out of the driveway) your headlights will go red, then infrared the closer you go to the speed of light.

seeyuzz
river
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah yes, red and blue shift, how could i forget Confused

thanks river

(oh, and it's mind boggling, not bobbling Razz )
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Mon, 30 May 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another usless fact

on average you eat 8 spiders in your sleep a year Shocked
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EDIT: sorry i was a bit of an arsehole.. havent slept for ages feeling very cranky sorry Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 05:04]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it also because someone else might be in the car with them when looking for the house number and it makes it easier to talk and hear them if they spot it derr.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 14:59

it also because someone else might be in the car with them when looking for the house number and it makes it easier to talk and hear them if they spot it derr.

lol sorry mate deleted all the reasons to his questions
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More Interesting (and possibly useless) facts:
For many years, the globe on the NBC Nightly News spun in the wrong direction. On January 2, 1984, NBC finally set the world spinning back in the proper direction.

In the Disney movie Aladdin, when Aladdin is talking to Jasmine right before taking her on a carpet ride, Rajah attacks him. Aladdin says, 'Get back, kitty' or something like that. Then he whispers to Jasmine telling her to take off her clothes.

In the original "Star Wars: A New Hope", Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker, called out the name of actress Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia, instead of actually calling out "Leia" in the scene near the end where he gets out of his X-wing after destroying the Death Star. The error was never caught.

Jean-Claude Van Damme was the alien in the original PREDATOR in almost all the jumping and climbing scenes.

Ethernet is a registered trademark of Xerox, Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T.

Hot water is heavier than cold.

Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.

Sound travels 15 times faster through steel than through the air.

The radioactive substance, Americanium - 241 is used in many smoke detectors.

A dog was killed by a meteor at Nakhla, Egypt, in 1911. The unlucky canine is the only creature known to have been killed by a meteor.

In 1980, Namco released PAC-MAN, the most popular video game (or arcade game) of all time. The original name was going to be PUCK MAN, but executives saw the potential for vandals to scratch out part of the P in the games marquee and labeling.

If you stand in the bottom of a well, you would be able to see the stars even in the daytime.

STASI, the East German secret police organization, devised a devilishly clever way to prevent someone from giving them the slip during the Cold War: they managed to synthesize the scent of a female dog in heat, which they applied to the shoes of the person under surveillance. Then they simply had a male dog follow the scent.

The proper name of earth's satellite is Luna. The grammar books say that "moon" (and likewise "earth" and "sun") should be lower case, with the exception of when "earth" is in a list with other planets. The earth is Terra; the sun is Sol. This is where we get the words "extraTERREstrial" and "SOLar".

Men have more blood than women. Men have 1.5 gallons for men versus 0.875 gallons for women.

In 1977, a 13 year old child found a tooth growing out of his left foot.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually water is heaviest (correct term densest) at 4 degrees celcius Very Happy . Water will always be the same weight no matter what cos it is made up by 2 hydrogen and one oxygen atoms, tha amount of molecules that can fit together in a space forms its density and this is highest as stated above at 4 degrees celcius.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 05:34]

white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About the speed of light thing, I'm 99% sure your all wrong when saying that the light won't "get past the front of your car". A curious and inexplicable observation about light is that no matter how fast the light source is travelling, the light always propogates at the same speed. No matter if your going 1/2 or 1 times the speed of light, either forwards or backwards, the light will always be measured to the same speed.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

white86 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 16:19

About the speed of light thing, I'm 99% sure your all wrong when saying that the light won't "get past the front of your car". A curious and inexplicable observation about light is that no matter how fast the light source is travelling, the light always propogates at the same speed. No matter if your going 1/2 or 1 times the speed of light, either forwards or backwards, the light will always be measured to the same speed.

The speed of light is constant. It is not possible for light to go twice as fast as itself, so to speak. So, if you're travelling at the speed of light and switch on your lights, then, using your argument, the light from your headlights will be travelling at twice the speed of light.

However, the frequency of the light waves do change - they compress (blueshift) if coming towards you or expand (redshift) if going away from you - but the speed remains the same.

It's similar to listening to a car horn as a car drives past you fast. As it approaches the sound is higher pitch due to the compression of the sound waves and it is lower in pitch when it passes as the sound waves are expanded. However, the actual speed of sound (approx 750mph at SL) doesn't change.

Naturally, I am using the perspective of an external observer. Inside the car the horn sounds the same, but to someone outside the pitch varies. Same with light. As I travel at the speed of light in my car, any internal light in the vehicle will look the same 'cos it is in my reference, and with respect to my point of observation. Someone outside my car would observe it differently.

This is the same thing for fighter pilots and Concorde passengers, with sound. While the actual aircraft is going beyond the speed of sound, inside the aircraft you can still talk and hear things normally. However, to someone outside they see an aircraft silently go by, followed a short time late by the sound wave (sonic boom).

seeyuzz
river
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 15:26

In 1980, Namco released PAC-MAN, the most popular video game (or arcade game) of all time. The original name was going to be PUCK MAN, but executives saw the potential for vandals to scratch out part of the P in the games marquee and labeling.

Laughing

Men have more blood than women. Men have 1.5 gallons for men versus 0.875 gallons for women.

well, we need something to get mr happy up Razz
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

similar to river's reply, but anyway:

nothing can travel faster than light, including light itself, so if you were travelling at the speed of light (impossible anyway), light could not travel with a velocity of your car plus the usual speed of light, as it would then be travelling faster than the speed of light
missa
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forced_induction wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 21:21

whats another word for a thesaurus?>

lexicon, glossary, phrase book
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Have you ever noticed that if you rearranged the letters in mother in law, they come out to Woman Hitler?"

gold Laughing
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats gold!!! lol Very Happy u must be bored dude

how about a going out with a chick called Naomi

it spells IMOAN backwards lol
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does sound travel futher at night ????
I'm not sure it's related but i can seem to find it out anywhere
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know about a scientific explanation but generally it seems that way. Maybe because there's less people around and visibility is worsened and when one of our senses gets fux0red it usually gets compensated by increasing the ability of our other senses.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 04:24

I don't know about a scientific explanation but generally it seems that way. Maybe because there's less people around and visibility is worsened and when one of our senses gets fux0red it usually gets compensated by increasing the ability of our other senses.

yeah, that and there would be less 'general' noise around, like cars, people, birds etc
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Tue, 31 May 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Sound travels faster through still, dense material - like water, steel, etc.

So, maybe at night when it is generally quieter and the air is more still then it might. It also travels well in fog - due to fog being denser.

seeyuzz
river
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Wed, 01 June 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No matter where you are recording it from, what speed you are travelling you will always see light going at the same speed.

If you are travelling at 0.999C and you turn your headlights on you will see light traveling away from you at the speed of light not 0.0001C........ but to an observer they will see the light moving away from the car at 0.0001C

This is because time slows down for whoever is traveling fast (according to einstien) and you see the light moving away from you at C (~ 3x10^8m/s)

So if you go for a high speed jaunt for a couple of years you will have aged less than your friends when you get back Smile
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Wed, 01 June 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

HAHAHAHAHAA
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Wed, 01 June 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got one
- WTF IS GRIMMACE?
i dont get it and ive asked the managers at maccas.. they cant tell me!
ronald is a clown
birdie is a bird
hamburgalar is a theif that steels hamburgers
grimace ----- ????? wtf! Mad

also why are oranges called oranges but lemons not called yellows?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Wed, 01 June 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skellator wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 18:01

nothing can travel faster than light, including light itself, so if you were travelling at the speed of light (impossible anyway), light could not travel with a velocity of your car plus the usual speed of light, as it would then be travelling faster than the speed of light

Yes and when they first proposed the train it was determined by some that it was a scientific fact that the human body could not withstand speeds greater than 40mph.

Besides that you all make assumption that the speed of light is constant which although unproven, it would only hold if we are living in a 4 dimensional world. But if there is a 5th and indeed a 6th dimension that we don't understand, then it goes without saying that the ripple effect could produce variations in our understanding of the 4 dimensions which could in turn alter the speed of light.

But wether you use the 5th dimension argument or some other argument, it is a foolish assumption to say that the speed of light is absoloutely constant and that nothing can travel faster than light. Even Einstien was worried about this, and withdrew the Theory of Relativity twice.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Wed, 01 June 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yes. To us, at the moment, within our dimension and understanding, the speed of light appears constant and we base our current calculations upon this. Einstein had a fudge factro built into his equations becaise he knew something was missing, but wasn't sure what it was.

I'd like to think that there are faster things out there than light, and I vaguely remember reading somewhere recently about some particle or whatever that could travel faster. In any event, we need to go faster than light, otherwise there's little hope of us reaching the stars and beating up other planets and destroying their civilisations.

Yes, I also remember reading where people were worried when the train got faster. They feared that at above 40mph that you'd suffocate and wouldn't be able to breathe properly. Similarly when Sikorsky invented the first fully enclosed cockpit on an aircraft there were cries of horror as people feared that the pilot would get disorientated and crash without the rush of wind in his face. And, I'm sure there were plenty of worried people who feared the demise of mankind if he flew faster than the speed of sound.

As far as the 5th dimension goes, they're one of my fave classic black groups! Smile

seeyuzz
river
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Wed, 01 June 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 17:47

skellator wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 18:01

...But wether you use the 5th dimension argument or some other argument, it is a foolish assumption to say that the speed of light is absoloutely constant and that nothing can travel faster than light. Even Einstien was worried about this, and withdrew the Theory of Relativity twice.

well, yeah, what i meant was that we dont know of anything so far that can travel at or above the speed of light, and it is widely beleived that nothing can travel at or above that speed
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Wed, 01 June 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you watch a TV in a dark room, although the TV never moves, why do the shadows it creates move?
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: some of lifes mind bobbling questions Wed, 01 June 2005 17:38 Go to previous message
Because the sources of light are moving?

Picture this.
Your TV screen is filled with half black and half white. White on the left, black on the right. The white part will project light, casting shadows on the left hand side of the room.

Now they get switched so the white portion is on the right, casting shadows on the right hand side of the room.

Now imagine instead of half your screen being black and half being white, the screen is split up into black and white squares (like a chess board). If those boxes keep moving around they will cast different shadows because the sources of light (the white squares) keep moving.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Screw you Ch10..you just ruined my night!
Next Topic:NIKE sneaker vote!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:44:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010152101516724 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.