Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTZLevin
Regular

January 2005
4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 04:34 Go to next message
after taking my engine down...the engine builder found 2 of the conrods were warped and basically through away items...

i either need 2 new conrods from a ae101 4agze.. the thicker version of the 3 differnt types of conrods..

4 brand new ones... for 4agze cabale of 250hp+

or if anyone knows of any places in brisbane / gold coast /sydney that makes aftermarket conronds..

already called PAR in sydney.. they quoted me $1040 for full after market forged conrods.. would like to go alot cheaper than that....not to be dodgy.. its just stretching my budget a little to far..
  Send a private message to this user    
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try getting onto someone that distributes ARGO conrods, apparently you can get them for around $90 each and they are apparently a copy of Carillo rods which are arguably one of the best...

Do it

Jezza
GTZLevin
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone know of an argo distributer??

or can back up Rallystanza's post that they are good..

sorry for all the questions..

its just im on a tight budget and dont wanna end up buying the wrong thing..

thanks for your input everyone in advance
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
conrods from a 7 rib 4age of the same size (42/20) would handle the power you want with ease, and probably much easier to find.
GTZLevin
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where do u findthem? i dont have any contacts...
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
post in the Wanted To Buy section of the forum, surely someone would have a 7 rib 4age/gze bigport/smallport engine in bits.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A little OT but how did you manage to banana the GZE rods?!? Last one i saw looked HUGE in comparison to the other versions.

And feral4mr2's right about the other rods being able to fit onto your current crank/pistons. But try not to get the 20v rods for a super/turbocharged setup... they're the thinnest of the lot.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GZE rods are the same as the 100kw smallport rods. Wink
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 00:06

GZE rods are the same as the 100kw smallport rods. Wink

Mmmmm are you sure?

Thats quite interesting if thats the case!

Jezza
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Thu, 26 May 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a search around.
Smallport GZEs are the same as Smallport NA, bar the pistons.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Fri, 27 May 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
argo's for $90 give me 100 sets!lol argo rods are good but not that cheap.argo and another top aussie one are around the $1200 a set and crower do them aswell in I-beam.
mick
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Fri, 27 May 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
call either precision at archerfield or performance wholesale at slacks creek
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Fri, 27 May 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 09:05

Have a search around.
Smallport GZEs are the same as Smallport NA, bar the pistons.

Have you ever seen them side by side? I've seen a gze rod and a smallport rod but not sitting next to each other so my perception may be a bit off but it seemed like the gze rod was far far chunkier in the mid-section. Or perhaps the gze rod i saw was out of a 1st gen bigport 4agze?

I would also like to dispel some of the myths surrounding the rods/cranks.

Eddie.
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Fri, 27 May 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Warwick from Bowater Toyota Spare Part Sales in NZ has confirmed that the smallport GE and GZE rods are the same, including part number. He has also confirmed that AE101 GZE and 20V rods are the same as each other, and slightly lighter than AE92 items.
GTZLevin
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Fri, 27 May 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u were building up a turbo'd engine that was to make a good 250-300HP for a street car.. would u jump at the chance to get some stong as after market items.. or save the cash and get stock rods..keeping in mind that ive got new wiseco low comp pistons.. metal head gasket kit which will lower the compression again.. balanced crank and completely rebuilt head...

just wondering weather i should bit the bullet and get some forged aftermarket ones for around the $1200 mark???
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Fri, 27 May 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Understandably the more power you put through the rods, the more likely they are to fail but i think if you keep a sensible redline (ie under 8-8.5k), the stock rods should be up to the task.

Just make sure you get some ARP conrod bolts as it's usually the bolts that fail and screw up the engine. Cheap insurance from about $75 for a set.

Eddie.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Fri, 27 May 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, as far as NA goes, you should be fine with stock smallport jobbies.

We destruction tested some a little while ago, and the forces which they were reporting were up around what you would expect for 10,000rpm. That was at failure though, but they lasted a very long time for the equivalent of 9,000rpm.
tin can
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Sat, 28 May 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i work at toyota ive looked all this up before what size crank are u using coz if u using 42mm then i have a set of 4agze rods ther out off my ae82 88 model the the rods thay came out with

if ur interseted call me

0420820394 jess

p.s have u prived up eagle rods yet
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Sat, 28 May 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eagle dont make 4A conrods at all....
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Sat, 28 May 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you find it necessary to run aftermarket rods because of a horsepower target, wouldn't it make more sense to upgrade because of a higher RPM limit? Higher revs would be far more likely to destroy a set or rods rather than high horsepower.... unless a bad tune is to blame for detonation, which is another problem altogether...

So how hard to you plan to rev this beast?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Sat, 28 May 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i would be going aftermarket if i was revving above about 9,000rpm.
That said, ill be going to aftermarket anyway because i want a bit more of a margin for error. Engine needs to last about a season without rebuilding Very Happy
GTZLevin
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Sun, 29 May 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well..ithought that aftermarket rods were a worthwhile spend since ive already repaired andupgraded other parts of the engine.. dont want a stock rod warping or failing and costing me another $3000..

on track days... dyno..and drag i do plan to rev it to 9000 if the engine is still making good power at that level... esspecially with the turbo upgrade and 15psi + of boost running through the engine... id say $1200 now.. is money well spent..
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Tue, 31 May 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gtz thats exactly the way to think! a set of forged pistons and h-beam rods or very good i-beams are good insurance. only takes a fuel pump to drop a bit of pressure or the regulater to play up a bit and you can stuff an engine in a heart beat! forged pistons and good rods give you a bit of added protection if something goes wrong. i say the same thing over and over again when i build engines for people and the dollar always comeing to it but never the dollar if you have a rod out the side of the motor and a bent crank! cost alot to start from scratch again as to a damaged piston or rod.i dont know why people talk about 9000rpm and boost. if your spinning and engine at that rpm and that boost dont expect it to last long at all. the more you rev the faster it breaks as it does with the more horespower you take from a given engine. give it more boost give it a lower shift point and use the extra torque.
mick
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Tue, 31 May 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for typos and grammar!but im hopless on the keyboard and i dont look up at the screen!
mick
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Tue, 31 May 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent points there kingmick. I'm personally not going to run above 8000rpm with a turbo strapped on. I think the 9k figure came from discussing an NA setup rather than a turbo one.

Eddie.
emmac
Regular

March 2004
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Tue, 31 May 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'Day Kingmick
Doesn't matter how you said it,what you say is absolutely true & correct.Real good advice.I couldn't agree with you more.It's refreshing to read great advice like that instead of some of the drivel one reads at times.
emmac
GTZLevin
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Tue, 31 May 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for all the input gents.

just a little reassuring that im doing the right thing. if i was building an na engine with lots of circuit racing or drifting (not in a FWD) in mind theni would take all that talk of 8-9,000 rpm seriously...

but the dumb hours i do at work prohibate me from track days and drags etc..

thats why the street car buildis what im after.. big chunky power delivery between 3,500rpm and 8,000rpm with a ton of torque...

will post up some new pics of engine and stats when its all finished.. might see some of u at the all toyota day on the 12th!
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones! Tue, 31 May 2005 22:48 Go to previous message
ok theres 2 rods for the 42mm crank (discounting ae111 b/t)
the thicker one is the early one that started out on the ae92 tvis engine and 4agze.
when they changed to the small port the kept using this rod for a bit, then swapped to the smaller one as found in the late smallports, later 4agze and silver top 20v.
so its possible to have a smallport with either type.

so be wary of this when after 4agze rods. cause you may end up with the wrong ones....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TRD head gaskets
Next Topic:changing from LRP to PULP...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:14:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067040920257568 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.