Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 06:05 Go to next message
Heya all,
what are the signs that you need a new clutch?
lately when i drive things are ok then after a while after i change gears, when i accelerate the car just revs but barely moves (it makes the same noise as when you have the clutch in/have it in neutral and push the accelerator and the car gains like 5km/h). It's pretty bad going uphill (especially when there's fast moving traffic).
It would have to be the clutch i'm assuming? it would be unlikely that something else could cause this?
also how much should a replacement standard clutch cost including labour (i dont know how to do it myself).

Cheers everyone Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like clutch dude..

about $650 for a good clutch + install job on average
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daikin make a clutch for around $300 plus fitting yeah $500 to $600

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 06:29]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pm sent dude
kwayzivietnamese
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutch for sure
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but really - for a 4a-c I think a $300 clutch is massive overkill. you're pumping out a whopping <100bhp. get a cheapie clutch, it's all you really need.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a cheapy and dont ride it! let it out in fourth at a stand still,if it dosnt let the revs rise and stall it ok!
mick
p.s if you put slicks on and rev it to 8000rpm and drop it and nothing breaks its the clutch!yes im joking but should get a laugh at that.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Certainly sounds like a worn clutch.. You could get a couple of extra km's out of it by adjusting the cable, but I doubt it. Rolling Eyes

I picked up a full clutch kit for $100, flywheel surfaced for $30, and add on a couple hours labour. So the price of $300 sounds fair. Just ring around and get some quotes. Always get quotes!!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you have some major clutch slip going on there, caused by one of the following things, the friction material on the clutch surface is worn out or the diaphram springs are worn/broken. If the throw-out bearing is stuffed it will no longer be able to disengege the clutch from the flywheel.
Unless your engine is modified a stock replacement one is fine. Get the complete clutch kit, clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing as its likely all three are stuffed. Shop around at Repco, Auto One etc for prices. Hopefully you won't need to re-surface your flywheel too.
Cheers,
Mitch.

PS: Check your clutch MC and slave cylinder for leaks as well.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 05:06]

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okie dokie.
Thanks everyone you're all really helpful! Very Happy
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: newbie clutch question Tue, 31 May 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No need to spend too much for the 4AC.. I spent $150 on the clutch for my 4AG (cheap arse 'heavy duty' clutch) and it's great for the job - still easy enough to use (a bit stiffer, but who cares?), and seems to be lasting well.
GTS_215KW
Occasional Poster

June 2003

Re: newbie clutch question Wed, 01 June 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the throwout bearing doesnt push the clutch onto the flywheel, thats the pressure plates job, the throwout bearing is used to disengage the clutch, i.e. move it away from the flywheel.

Smile
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: newbie clutch question Wed, 01 June 2005 05:11 Go to previous message
Sorry, my bad, thanks for picking that up, and previous post now corrected.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Blocking Wastegate on 4AGZE -> more boost??
Next Topic:AE86 ADM Front Brake Pad Reccomendations
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:01:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059409141540527 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.