Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » changing from LRP to PULP...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lobie
Newcomer

May 2005
changing from LRP to PULP... Tue, 31 May 2005 14:03 Go to next message
So after drinking leaded and lead replacement petrol for all of it's 22 year life, I'm gonna start feeding my KE-70 Corolla (4K-C engine) premium unleaded. I've read that it'll clean the fuel system right out and that the fuel filter will need changing a few times in the near future. Also, I've read that goo will probably end up in the sump so I'll probably need to change the oil and oil filter a few times too.

Has anyone experienced this? Does it actually happen? How often should I change my fuel filter and oil/oil filter? Is there anything else that will need extra maintainence during this transition? Spark plugs maybe?

thanks

matt
  Send a private message to this user    
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: changing from LRP to PULP... Tue, 31 May 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um, from what ive read, bisically;

-filter will need to be changed.
-'should' change the valve seals from the older type to the newer type which lubricate themselves.

i wasnt awear of any oil issues.. seeing as oil and fuel should be seperate Razz

engine will run alittle warmer. might also need to have an alloy head too.. not 100% sure

anything i'm missing guys????

i cant be stuffed changing it on my 4a-c. runs fine with unleaded and the valve saver fluid.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: changing from LRP to PULP... Tue, 31 May 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Run it on unleaded and don't give it another thought. You don't have to change anything or do anything different.
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: changing from LRP to PULP... Tue, 31 May 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could also do that Razz
lobie
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: changing from LRP to PULP... Tue, 31 May 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I thought the same thing about the sump. How has the fuel system got anything to do with the oil?

This is the article I read: http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/alias__carpo intau/tabID__6491/ArticleID__6456/DesktopDefault.a spx

And this is the part of the article I'm referring to:
"POST-LEADED TRAUMAS

Here's a guide to what leaded car owners should expect after weaning their vehicles off Super fuel.

· Most leaded cars over the years build up a layer of sediment and lead deposits throughout the fuel system and engine. The new premium unleaded fuels contain very aggressive cleaning packages designed to keep your engine clean inside.

In an old engine they can be too effective and dislodge the gunk that may be holding the engine together. Various fuel filters will clog and will need to be changed more often until the engine is clean inside.

Oil consumption may also increase as the full extent of the wear becomes apparent. It is advisable to monitor oil colour and change the oil and filter more regularly during any changeover to premium unleaded in an old engine, as the dislodged gunk will often end up in the sump."

matt
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: changing from LRP to PULP... Tue, 31 May 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what a crock... change fuel, change petrol filter as required (e.g. gets blocked up with shit) and change oil when needed (e.g. when turning black or 5000k which ever happens first).

if your engine is now 22 years old, i'd be more worried about the condition of the rings, bores, valve guides/seals/seats than what kind of fuel it'll burn.

search forum for other threads relating to LRP/unleaded fuel use
lobie
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: changing from LRP to PULP... Tue, 31 May 2005 15:25 Go to previous message
Yeah, I'd already done a search and read quite a few posts about it. They pretty much all said just go for a high octane and it'll be all good but that article suggested to me that there was more to the story, that's why I asked.

thanks

matt
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze Conrods....Need Some New Ones!
Next Topic:How to make my ae82 rolla sound better
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 18:20:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043811798095703 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.