Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIKPUPY
Occasional Poster

June 2004

1ggze info required Tue, 31 May 2005 03:59 Go to next message
I have just about got my 1ggze in my 4runner ready to start.

its all in, the auto eleccy is going to wire the microtech up soon, I have changed my fuel line pick up to 5/16 from 1/4 but what fuel pump do I use ???? can someone help me out here, it needs to be an external one and can be mounted either in the engine bay or right next to the tank.

and is there anything i need to know about ??
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Tue, 31 May 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was your 4runner originally carby? If so you will need a lift pump feeding a surge tank, and an EFI pump from there to the engine.
SIKPUPY
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: 1ggze info required Tue, 31 May 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting

I was told that I could just run fuel from the tank straight to the engine, am I able to do this for the short term.

the origonal was carby, if I need to use a surge tank, what car do you think that I could pinch one from ??

what pressure fuel pump do I need to use, is there a brand that is better than the other ??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggze info required Tue, 31 May 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll need to either get a custom surge tank, or get an EFI tank from an EFI 4Runner.

Pretty much any EFI pump will handle a 1GGZE
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Tue, 31 May 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't run lifter pumps and surge tanks. I have a single external fuel pump mounted below the bottom level of the fuel tank, on the chassis rail. The pump is a JD EFI Camira unit, VL Turbo Commodore equivalent.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Tue, 31 May 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm doing the same on my RA23, which is OK because an RA23 has a relatively narrow and upright tank, so surge isn't much of an issue. I'm guessing a 4runner has a low flat tank though, in which case surge is likely to be an issue. I'd be going with a surge tank, although if an EFI tank is available that would be even better.
SIKPUPY
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: 1ggze info required Tue, 31 May 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help guys

so ill start with the camira vl/turbo fuel pump to start with, I am not too concerned with the surge issues, people run commodore V6 engines all the time without them, if I find I need one I can always fit it later

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Tue, 31 May 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A good baffle / well fitted around the fuel pickup in the tank will help reduce fuel slosh away from it.
Gleno28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is real bad, especially going round left hand corners with less than about 1/3 of a tank. you just have to change gears when you feel it run out of fuel and it's good again. Looking at installing a swirl pot? though inside the tank to keep fuel around an inbuilt hp pump.
Glen.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glen,
I modded my std RA23 tank (by a fuel tank certified/approved shop) by cutting out a square section of the tank directly below the fuel pick-up, and then on the inside of that square section, weld in a circular maze style baffle so that when welded back in, it sits around the pick-up sock nicely. No surge even when down to 'E' on the gauge.
Cheers,
Mitch.
SIKPUPY
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all your help guys

at least I know where I stand now, I can at least use a normal efi pump to get the car running at long last (over 6 months) and then its probably cheaper and easier to get a custom tank made up or to get hold of a fuel cell or something similar.

the main thing is that I dont need to do it straight away and it is potentially a problem that I need to be aware of. In the short term, I will just not thrash it with less than half a tank in it.

has anyone else put one of these in a 4runner, what sort of performance am I going to expect from it, is it comparable to a crummydore V6.

http://www.members.westnet.com.au/sikpupy/index/4runnerbuildphot/engineright.jpg

I cant wait to play
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIKPUPY wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 10:45

I can at least use a normal efi pump to get the car running at long last (over 6 months) I cant wait to play

Razz Did you once tell me that you would have this running by March ???!!!! Razz

Just joking dude !! Laughing

What are you doing for a clutch set up ?

Thanks,
Mitch.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 11:27

What are you doing for a clutch set up ?

Hopefully something meatier than an old 2SC clutch Wink Laughing
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn all you instant after the event experts !!!! Razz Laughing Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 11:38

Damn all you instant after the event experts !!!! Razz Laughing Laughing

If I'd known before I could've told you then!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why is it so unreasonable to believe that a clutch for a 150Nm 2SC engine will be just fine and dandy for a 225Nm (only 50% more, for free !) 1G-GZE engine ?

I mean - what's the problem ????!!!!! Razz

"Why are people, so unkind ???" Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because the 2SC makes 150Nm for like an instant. That and the fact with a decent exhaust you probably aren't making *only* 225Nm. And damn, is it that low!? Thats like 50Nm less than a 1GGTE!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you might have missed my feeble attempt at humour in my last post, yes I know its a hiding to nothing expecting a 2SC clutch to last, as I am probably pulling about 150 Nm as soon as I get boost (at 2000rpm or so) and it will only go upwards from there......

And yes, its rated at a lowly 225Nm, kick me while I am down dude, I wanted a low-fuss installation and grunt down low. Your beastie will run circles around mine. No contest.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well when you have a new clutch, and I have a new waterpump, you can take me for a drive, then I'll take you, and we can compare Razz
SIKPUPY
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyway get back on the topic

The origonal plan was march........ but due to a shortage of funds and the time taken to do this right the first time has taken its toll.

Ok for all you that need a good strong clutch for your 1G

Take your flywheel down to the local non genuine toyota spare parts people and tell them you want a full clutch kit to suit.

I took my flywheel and pressure plate of the 1g to Don Kyatt(not sure if you have them in the east) and they spent maybe 45 mins getting all the different toyota clutches out until we got one that fitted.

In the end I have a late model 2.8 turbo diesel hilux pressure plate and clutch plate(i think this is what I ended up with. I only bought a standard kit but there is a HD kit available. I was lucky. The full kit I bought had the clutch and bearing, I was able to use the bearing as well on the 1g clutch fork.

Toyota apparently only have a handful of different pressure plate bolt configurations, its just about trying to get the right one to fit.

If all else fails, take yer flywheel to a machine shop and ask them to remachine it and drill it to suit a falcon 250 pressure plate then get a custom clutch made for it.

I have spent that much time doing lots and lots of research about what people have and havent done, I took lots of notes and used alot of advice. It hasnt been a smooth road to doing it but its all gone together as it should. So far the only parts I have had to make is some engine mount plates.

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate.
I was joking about the March thing - my project ran 15 months overdue.
Thanks for the info about your clutch as well.
Cheers,
Mitch.

BIG EDIT:

1. Don Kyatt is in the east at a few places, according to his website.

2. Is the clutch you got for a KZN165 3.0L Turbo Diesel Hilux ?
The engine in this is rated at 295 odd Nm. Only 85kw but - can someone say torque ? Shocked

3. The 3.0 Diesel NA Hilux is rated at 197Nm, still less torque than the 1G-GTE and 1G-GZE.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 12:48]

SIKPUPY
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: 1ggze info required Wed, 01 June 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not exactly sure, I did have the kit part number somewhere but I just took the bits there and got em to match it up, but I guess anyone that sells clutches could do it too.

Hopefully within 6 weeks im going to be able to drive it. I have a new fly in fly out job to help fund it.

By the time I come back I will have the radiator built and the ecu installed by my mate who is an auto eleccy, Will be able to do a few laps around the block then Cool Cool Cool
Gleno28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1ggze info required Thu, 02 June 2005 05:48 Go to previous message
I ended up getting my 1GGTE flywheel and full clutch setup to suit from toyopro in melbourne, not super hd but more that normal - fits/works fine
Glen.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mixing Auto Tranny Fluid
Next Topic:ke70 and ae86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:18:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065929889678955 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.