Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
4age timing acting a fool Tue, 31 May 2005 11:24 Go to next message
Yes I have done a search
On my rwd 4age it has/had a miss at idle, so I whipped out the timing light and shorted the correct plug to set my timing.
Only to find out that when I short the plug that it doesn’t change the timing to where it should, the timing doesn’t move with the plug shorted or not. I have contacted some of the 4age guru's I know of and they have no idea. So im leaving it to the toymods community. I have been told it could be the computer or ignitor messing around. The problem started when I removed my air con setup out of the sprinter
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age timing acting a fool Tue, 31 May 2005 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe you could try shorting out the T pin to earth at the ECU. the E1 in the diagnositcs plug is just an earth.
or even useing a multimeter check continuity between E1 and an earth and the T to the ECU, just to make sure there are no breakages in the wires etc.

though i wouldnt not normaly suspect timing to be a cause of a miss.. ?
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4age timing acting a fool Tue, 31 May 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well shorting the T pin does have an affect because the check engine codes start to come up, but does not put the timing on a fixed 15-16 btdc. Also when playing around with the dizzy i got it to stop missing.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age timing acting a fool Tue, 31 May 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when setting the base timing with all accessories off and the T & E1 jumped the timing should be at 10 degrees @ ~900 rpm, not 15-16 degrees. it should jump to ~15-16 degrees once you pull the jumper wire from the T & E1 pins.

mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4age timing acting a fool Tue, 31 May 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh well in any case it was sitting at 50-60deg with or with out plug shorted. Now it is at 20-30 and seems to be running fine... when i set it to 15 it went no where, was like driving a truck
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4age timing acting a fool Wed, 01 June 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any other ideas from anyone? If not who knows of a good 4age mechanic in the SE Queensland area? besides option1 or anothy kellam
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4age timing acting a fool Wed, 01 June 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure the tps is set right
if not set right at idle it will stuff up the timing at idle

mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4age timing acting a fool Wed, 01 June 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that could be it as the tps isnt even connected.... Was told it woudnt affect it but im guessing im wrong. Thanks, any other ideas?
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age timing acting a fool Wed, 01 June 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikes86 wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 09:53

yeh well in any case it was sitting at 50-60deg with or with out plug shorted. Now it is at 20-30 and seems to be running fine... when i set it to 15 it went no where, was like driving a truck

i have this problem too, i got a new tps but havent checked the timing again yet(havent been home) its not pinging so it cant be too bad.
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4age timing acting a fool Wed, 01 June 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh havent connected my tps yet, because i changed over my throttle body and its a different plug. But yeh motor is running fine not pingin its just the timing mark isnt where its meant to be and shorting the timing plug has no effect.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4age timing acting a fool Wed, 01 June 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the ecu doesnt realise the tps is closed so i think it wont set base idle timing

had this prob on a customers car

took ages to find out why timing was advanced or retarded 40 or 50 degrees at idle

it was tps was mis adjusted
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4age timing acting a fool Wed, 01 June 2005 19:17 Go to previous message
yep well that settles it, thanks alot for all your help. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Celica speedo gone CRAZZYYY!!!
Next Topic:te37 dash to ke30
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 06:03:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041770935058594 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.