Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » has it/can it be done?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
subsonicaudio
Regular

July 2004
has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 02:14 Go to next message
I know I might cop some flack for asking this but who cares.
I've recently been given a 1987 ford xf fairmont (EFI)with an aftermarket computer, larger cam,2500 rpm stall converter, shift kit, 2.5 inch exhaust with pacemaker extractors and no cat and i think it has had some bottem end work. It has beaten my brothers ca18 180sx (11psi 3.5inch full exhaust) down the 1/4, and I've had an idea. Would it be possible to "bolt on" a sc14 supercharger? The car is a temp until I find something new. Has it been done/can it be done.
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Search / Google Autospeed magazine and other's. Someone has done two SC14's to a 6 cyl XF ute, IIRC......a green one I think.
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a great idea as you have already got almost everything you need to get it going except for maybe a bigger fuel system. however i seriously doubt if the SC14 will be big enough. dare i say that the big 4L will suck more air than the SC14 can pump, therefore making the SC14 simply a inlet restriction!!!! do the sums of mass airflow capability of the SC14 vs the consumption of the 4L, i think you'll need at least 2x the amount of air that the SC14 will supply. good luck!!!!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, the SC14 is designed for a 2L engine, so on a 4L engine one of them will be way too small but two of them will be spot on.

Would be much simpler to get your hands on a second-hand Eaton M90 or similar.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It depends how efficient it is Razz It works fine on the 3.8L Holden motors because they are asthmatic and struggle to devour all the air a more efficient engine could.
subsonicaudio
Regular

July 2004
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so really to be safe i should use 2 sc14's. hard question to answer but what kind of boost could i expect i only want to run maybe 6 psi, could i siply use a larger pulley on each sc to be sure that the only produce small boost levels? Would the throttle bodie have to be in front of the chargers or could i leave it in the stock location?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a great idea. Just use two of them... or some other more appropriate/bigger charger.

Using SC14s would be great as you could switch off the clutches if you ever wanted something resembling fuel efficiency.

Hen
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends how wild the cam is, and if the head is ported.

2 SC14's might struggle if the motor breathes freely.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno, i'd be very surprised if the old 4L could outflow two 1GGZE's Razz That said, it will be dependent on the cam and porting.
subsonicaudio
Regular

July 2004
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a standard 4agze intercooler from a mr2 would this be fine to use as an intercooler? I dont want huge power i want something different to tow my soon to be purchased race car.
Grim_Reaper
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim from Raptor SC has just developed a bold on kit to suit the 3.8 V6 holden and has had some good results with a engine output of 221kw @ 7psi. He has also previously supercharged a EFI falcon ute.

Interesting to see how the falcon will perform agains me Rory......I mean off the line and even rolling starts, I have blown 2 V8 commodores away with only 139.2kw though my torque figure is up there at 315 Nm......

http://www.raptorsc.com.au/services.htm

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 03:06]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd just grab one of the hybrid clone IC's and be done with it. They aren't expensive, and they work well enough for the price.
Grim_Reaper
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grim_Reaper wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 13:05

Tim from Raptor SC has just developed a bold on kit to suit the 3.8 V6 holden and has had some good results with a engine output of 221kw @ 7psi. He has also previously supercharged a EFI falcon ute.

As for the need for a cooler....you will be fine to run without one, with this kit upto 8psi.

Interesting to see how the falcon will perform agains me Rory......I mean off the line and even rolling starts, I have blown 2 V8 commodores away with only 139.2kw though my torque figure is up there at 315 Nm......

http://www.raptorsc.com.au/services.htm

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And we felt the need to quote ourselves why?
subsonicaudio
Regular

July 2004
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Grim_Reaper wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 13:05]Tim from Raptor SC has just developed a bold on kit to suit the 3.8 V6 holden and has had some good results with a engine output of 221kw @ 7psi. He has also previously supercharged a EFI falcon ute.

Yeah I'm up for that shannon. But so far this is just an idea i had in the shower.I didn't pay anything for the car so i don't wanna go crazy. As i said dean just bought a turbo vl for race duties only so i need something to tow it with. But as far as running me you should go up against dean now that we up'd the boost, and i'll give you a run in a couple weeks in my new car Smile
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and why would you develop a bolt on supercharger kit for a 3.8l V6 when they come with one from the factory Razz you could just use the same parts, that or just get vortech ones.
315nm of torque is pretty shit actually considering a naturally aspirated 3.8 commodroe had 305nm and i thought torque was increased at the wheels?.
subsonicaudio
Regular

July 2004
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 13:20

and why would you develop a bolt on supercharger kit for a 3.8l V6 when they come with one from the factory Razz you could just use the same parts, that or just get vortech ones.
315nm of torque is pretty shit actually considering a naturally aspirated 3.8 commodroe had 305nm and i thought torque was increased at the wheels?.

Mate thats from a rs impreza
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok then just the way its worded it sounded very much like they were talking about the falcon
Grim_Reaper
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was not intentional I was trying to edit my last post...if you see they are not the same posts. I made mention of the need for a cooler

justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 13:17

And we felt the need to quote ourselves why?

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hit the edit button and not the quote button bud Smile

As for not *needing* an intercooler, this may be possible, but it will be better with one.
Grim_Reaper
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: has it/can it be done? Wed, 01 June 2005 03:32 Go to previous message
I am up for a run against Dean. Would like to see how I stack up against a car that is lighter and is running what boost now....baring in mind I am running a max of 12.5psi.

Will this be a rolling or stand start. Anyway will have to see what we can arrange. I have no idea to see my licence or car disapear. Oh do you have the time slips for those pases perhapps you could post them up on here....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:URGENT HELP REGARDING 20V BLACKTOP OXY SENSOR WIRE
Next Topic:Does a 2T-GEU plenum+runners fit 3T-GTEU head?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:31:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054500102996826 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.