Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 11:52 Go to next message
Well? Is it?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends if I'm the on irritating you Confused
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no but is it wrong to whore on forums Wink
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A couple of things annoy me...

SMS talk cuz u 2 lzy 2 b typn m8.
People who don't know the difference between your & you're, their, they're & there or wear, we're & where.
People who expect questions answered 5 minutes after they post.

I don't mind when people drop the occasional letter because they're typing too quick. My grammer isn't perfect so I can't complain, but if you're going to make a post at least make it comprehendable.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 12:14]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 22:11

SMS talk cuz u 2 lzy 2 b typn m8.

Man this really shits me Confused
Quote:

Not knowing the difference between your & you're, their, they're & there or wear, we're & where.

I'm guilty of this cause I never went to school Sad But i'm willing to learn if someone wants to teach me Smile
Quote:

People who expect questions answered 5 minutes after they post.

I also hate this Evil or Very Mad
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar?

No

also,
see my signature
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Absolutely not.

On the subject, I don't like people calling H haitch... it's fucking aitch!!!!!

aitch
The letter h.

Laughing
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 21:52

Well? Is it?

No. No it is not. I sometimes get REALLY picky about things like grammer. Probably because i've got an english major. See, even that sentence wasn't grammatically correct! Razz

As long as the writing's reasonably comprehendible i don't really mind it. The sms thing annoys the hell outta me though.

Eddie.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing any of you that have seen my "bought not brought" thread know how i feel on the subject
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar?

If some one is adept enough to use a high tech thing like a internet-connected computer they can fucking-well learn to spell and write proper sentences.

</rant>

Irritated enough for you? Very Happy
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can't be bothered to spell out the whole word, don't bother at all. In fact, don't bother to breathe either.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 14:03]

Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tyottsoarer wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 23:38

If you can't be bothered to spell out the whole word, don't bother at all. In fact, don't bother to breath either.

It's breathe Razz
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my bad

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 14:02]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poor grammar or spelling doesnt bother me, people that quote it and winge about it in a thread with-out helping the purpose of that thread bother me.

as long as it's english (not that sms/leet shit), i'll read it.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i let my brother send a SMS off my phone the other day, and recieved a reply i couldn't even read...pissed the hell out of me Evil or Very Mad

Sent him an SMS telling him to use the prediction text so i could read it Laughing

As for on forums, yes it pisses me off because of their laziness, dont mind a few misspellings etc Very Happy
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its not intentional, dropping a letter every once and a while doesnt shit me

1337 5p34k and sms tlk, BUG THE FUCK OUT OF ME

i cant stand some of the illiterate garbage that some people try to pass off as communication.

the keys on a keyboard really arent that far away in the grand scheme of things.

Eldar.O.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This shits me to no end. When I was in year 5 they made a big deal out of grammar and spelling etc. because averages for maths were around 75% and averages for english were around 60% so they made a huge focus on spelling and grammar. I didn't think it was that big a deal then you grow up and see people still not spelling things correctly or writing coherent sentences.
Come to think of it, they did a really good job. I used to know past/present participles and all the types of pronouns and lots of other things I've now forgotten and won't really need to use.
I don't mind if people make mistakes or don't know something. I don't mind SMS-style writing either but it has its place (not on forums!). It's when they are told and don't bother learn from it that pisses me off. If you're going to do something it's better to do it properly, right?

• Your - Is this your car? (ownership)
  • You're - I hear you're going to the beach. (contraction for you are)

• There - The ball is over there. (a place)
  • Their - They wanted to know if their dog was alright. (ownership)
  • They're - He hates his parents because they're always mean to him. (contraction for 'they are')

• Wear - Please remember to wear pants. (a verb/action)
  • Where - Where is takumi today? (a place)
  • We're - We're on our way. (contraction for 'we are')

• His - Have you seen his car? (ownership)
  • He's - He's got a few problems. He's a nut. (contraction for 'he is' or 'he has' depending on context)

People often swap he's and his (eg. His got a fully sick sub) around even when speaking.

• Its - That dog has its tail caught in a muffler.(ownership)
  • It's - It doesn't matter if it's not finished. (contraction for 'it is')

EDIT:

• Then - First you peel the skin, then you cut the orange.(time word)
  • Than - I'm not as good as Takumi but I'm better than Itsuki. (comparison)

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 17:47]

Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It pisses me off no end. I thought it was only because I'm an old prick who was properly schooled in spelling and grammar, but obviously it annoys a lot of you younger folk too. Granted I may not use commas and full stops in all the right places but I do try at least to make it comprehensible. Sometimes I get the odd word spelled incorrectly but at least it's all totally understandable.
I reckon it's just laziness. How hard it is to type those extra few letters in a word?

Damn kids and their loud Rock and Roll music.

Cheers, Greg.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 08:49

Damn kids and their loud Rock and Roll music.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

C'mon Fark, there's nothing wrong with some good old loud Rock music. Smile

But, this hip-hop and rap stuff is a different matter.

I agree with most people here in regards to spelling. Sure a few letters might get dropped here and there, but it's still readable. Some people's grammar is woeful and I'm not sure if it's all due to laziness or they just haven't been taught properly. SMS-talk maybe adequate on your mobile phone, but when it's on the forums, especially when the user has a proper QWERTY keyboard is beyond me. Maybe they're just trying to be "cool" and "hip", but, to me, it comes across as silly.

Same with maths. My neice is in year-10 and she doesn't know her basic multiplication tables. She counts with her fingers. It's not that she's dumb, but the school doesn't teach the old multiplication tables like they used to, and I think that's a shame.

Not like the good old days, hey Fark! Aye, when I was a kid.... Smile

seeyuzz
river
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 09:16

But, this hip-hop and rap stuff is a different matter.

Black rap crap that is so useless you cant even wipe your arse with it Mad

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 23:26]

ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not the best at spelling I'll be honest but thats not why people come to this forum. I didn't know you needed to have a degree in spelling and punctuation to talk about cars. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable people in motor sport or mechanical back ground haven't the best vocabulary.

What really should be shitting you off is people who come on this site with little mechanical knowledge and talk like they know every little thing about cars. Mad

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 23:48]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it is called site not sight but you do raise a very vaild point.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 09:16

I think it is called site not sight but you do raise a very vaild point.

Happy now.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Wed, 01 June 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 09:16

Hi,

Same with maths. My neice is in year-10 and she doesn't know her basic multiplication tables. She counts with her fingers. It's not that she's dumb, but the school doesn't teach the old multiplication tables like they used to, and I think that's a shame.

Not like the good old days, hey Fark! Aye, when I was a kid.... Smile

seeyuzz
river

Rolling Eyes They used a abacus when you where a kid.
I know my grammer & spelling is not good.(never did year 7)but SMS-text bugs me. and it only takes 1 click to spell check a post.and Dictionary.com is my best friend.
My math is, because I use a calculator.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big T wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 22:59

I sometimes get REALLY picky about things like grammer. Probably because i've got an english major.

Hrmm.... Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engrish?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know someone who gets annoyed when 'momentarily' is used incorrectly Very Happy

I think there's a difference between something like

"I saw him momentarily"

and

"I'll be there momentarily"

I think it's something to do with intransitive verbs (like 'be') and transitive verbs (like 'see') but I'm not an expert. I just don't say momentarily around her hehehe
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh it is annoiying, i try and just read past it though,..
i hate when people confuse "know" with "no" too
eg. "i no that guy!"
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant stand it when people randomly put K on the end of words and say F instead of TH. Somethink anyfink

Grrr
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh just to clarify the momentarily thing.

Best way to remember when to use it is only to use it in place of 'for a moment' rather than in place of 'in a moment'

www.thefreedictionary.com
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supposedly? supposebly?

LOL @ chandler
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 01:29

This shits me to no end. When I was in year 5 they made a big deal out of grammar and spelling etc. because averages for maths were around 75% and averages for english were around 60% so they made a huge focus on spelling and grammar. I didn't think it was that big a deal then you grow up and see people still not spelling things correctly or writing coherent sentences.
Come to think of it, they did a really good job. I used to know past/present participles and all the types of pronouns and lots of other things I've now forgotten and won't really need to use.
I don't mind if people make mistakes or don't know something. I don't mind SMS-style writing either but it has its place (not on forums!). It's when they are told and don't bother learn from it that pisses me off. If you're going to do something it's better to do it properly, right?

• Your - Is this your car? (ownership)
  • You're - I hear you're going to the beach. (contraction for you are)

• There - The ball is over there. (a place)
  • Their - They wanted to know if their dog was alright. (ownership)
  • They're - He hates his parents because they're always mean to him. (contraction for 'they are')

• Wear - Please remember to wear pants. (a verb/action)
  • Where - Where is takumi today? (a place)
  • We're - We're on our way. (contraction for 'we are')

• His - Have you seen his car? (ownership)
  • He's - He's got a few problems. He's a nut. (contraction for 'he is' or 'he has' depending on context)

People often swap he's and his (eg. His got a fully sick sub) around even when speaking.

• Its - That dog has its tail caught in a muffler.(ownership)
  • It's - It doesn't matter if it's not finished. (contraction for 'it is')

EDIT:

• Then - First you peel the skin, then you cut the orange.(time word)
  • Than - I'm not as good as Takumi but I'm better than Itsuki. (comparison)

Sombody else congratulate this guy too, he saved me having to type it all out, and has clearly outlined the correct use for all those words that shit me to tears when used incorrectly!!!

Someone sticky this post, and make all newbies read it before they engage their keyboards!!!
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
icon2.gif  Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant believe how anal some of you guys are about this sort of shit.
its not like we are typing a essey or a novel....
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no it'a not qrong yet to not allow some discresion is
see, the way i see it is , were all humans and make mistakes and there's bigger thign to worrg about than spelling and grammer when it's not taught to the standards most expect it to be at primary and secondry schooling
something i feel alot of people overlook is even thou soem of us are pretty advanced with our understandg of computing etc we aren't all touch typers let alone been taught how to type so we have many a bad habit when typing resulting in many an error
i know im guilty of it all the time
im also guilty of bastardisation of sentence structure due to plain lazieness, partially due to lack of typing skills amongst other things
to me if a person is makign an effort and listening to others when they try to contructivelly correct their mistakes then it's all good
my personaly pet peeve would be "me and me friends"
that drives me crazy considering you in almost every case come last in a sentence structure "my friends and i" being how it should be constructed
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was that ment to have so many typo's in it or did you just not realise. Shocked
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't it funny how those replies telling us to get over it all have numerous spelling/grammatical errors.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
towe_001 wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 11:40

Read this aloud -

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulacity uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabridge Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the lttees in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!"

Got that from a friend thats going to uni. I read the first 5 words of it and i was there thinking to myself "shocking spelling but wtf...."

About the only thing the shats me is the typing of sms code (eg 1337, like, WTF ?). Most times i'm able to work around the bad spelling and all that crap.
Yeah http://www.thefreedictionary.com is handy to have but if your like me and always having the screen full of internet crap like ebay, toymods, other forums, google, AltaVista, and the list goes on with downloads etc having a dictionary in book form is a great companion, pity you have to know the basics of the word first to get started on its spelling.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad grammar and punctuation drives me nuts too, I swear a large majority of school-leavers can't spell these days, makes me worry about the next generation!

http://ribfeast.no-ip.com/apostrophe.gif
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it irritates me cause it makes posts harder to read. Take a little effort and tidy them up! Smile
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since i'm digging up old pictures, here's another Wink

http://images2.imagehigh.com/imagehigh/02062005033401_word.jpeg
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, shits me no end as well. I let spelling and the odd grammar mistake slide because some people aren't as good/weren't taught everything, as long as they're making an effort.

The problem is some people seem to forget we've all got to read what they're writing, and if you don't consider that and just rant with no grammar or paragraph breaks it can be real tough to follow. Why make it more difficult than it has to be just to save yourself a second or two?

But yeah, the sms shit gets me the worst. I can figure most of it out but why should i have to? And while we're on the subject, one i can't figure out is "1337", WTF does that stand for?!
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 17:38

Since i'm digging up old pictures, here's another Wink

http://images2.imagehigh.com/imagehigh/02062005033401_word.jpeg

I nearly pissed my pants when I first saw this - GOLD ! !

Why didn't I think of that earlier ? ! ? ! Laughing

So it's not just Me who gets peeved at this eh? 40 replies in 24 hours paints a fairly clear picture methinks. I know that not everone has a year-12 edumacation like Me, but . .

PRICE-IS-RIGHT CLEAVAGE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! KORRRRRR!!!!

Sorry - where was I? . . . Oh yeah, spelling and grammar are taught in PRIMARY SCHOOL! High-school English is about checking kids' progress in Yr.7&8, and ALL about comprehension, and writing after that. What was everyone doing instead of going to primary school?

I thought it may have just been Me who noticed all this. My Mother is a primary school teacher.

It's both a blessing (I kan spel and add Razz ) and a curse (It pisses Me when others can't).

Oh - it's not strictly personal - I just don't get how so many ace citizens are allowed to slip through the educational cracks. . .

Confused
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-gt- wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 17:54

I can figure most of it out but why should i have to? And while we're on the subject, one i can't figure out is "1337", WTF does that stand for?!

You must be older than river! Laughing
1337 = leet = elite
1 = L
3 = E
7 = T (if you extend the horizontal line in 7, you get T)

4 = A (if you extend the diagonal line you can see it)

9 = g

etc.

sp34k

It's online gaming talk. Smile
prrrmeow
Regular

February 2005
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inertia wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 22:45

Absolutely not.

On the subject, I don't like people calling H haitch... it's fucking aitch!!!!!

aitch
The letter h.

Laughing

Embarassed im guilty!
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 18:39

sp34k

1f y00 c4n r34d th15 y00 r34lly n33d t0 g3t l41d Razz
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 18:48

thu187 wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 18:39

sp34k

1f y00 c4n r34d th15 y00 r34lly n33d t0 g3t l41d Razz

dammit, now where's that rolla_gurl thread Laughing
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well take it from me, i try to type as well as i can. i'm doing yr12 vce and well i cant fucking type or spell for shit i forget the easiest words its not funny. since yr7 i havent really learnt shit in english all ive learnt is how to draw in a book and attempt to write an essay.

school is a joke you dont learn anything, better off learning yourself - basically what ive done in all my other subjects apart from maths purely because the teachers are too lazy to help. also i believe some students ie myself are too lazy to learn, i have basics and type good enough i hope.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was forced to do ESL in high school for VCE. Now, if I can spell properly, I'm sure others with English as their first language should be able to as well, right?

Heh... first instruction on the top of the ESL paper in BOLD writing:

PLEASE DO NOT WRITE IN COMPLETE SENTENCES Confused
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 20:19

Heh... first instruction on the top of the ESL paper in BOLD writing:

PLEASE DO NOT WRITE IN COMPLETE SENTENCES Confused

eh? that's weird Confused
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly what I thought. I mean, English is not my first language, but fuck, I can still construct proper sentences if I needed to.

They wanted us to write in dot points for our newspaper analytical 'essay'.
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am really not that pick when It comes to spelling as I really wouldnt be the one to judge as Im not that good of a speller, although I really get enoyed when people use Internet language like

"PaWnd" "Uber" "L337"

what the fuk is that crap suppost to mean seriously, soon enough there going to be teach sms english at schools I think with the rate this is all going.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20VBTSECA wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 21:56

no but is it wrong to whore on forums Wink

i like teddy bears
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well, one thing this thread has shown.... no-one seems to have a problem spelling "fuck"! Smile

seeyuzz
river
nitephyre
Regular

July 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's cause it's a fecking easy word to spell river, ya old fugghead Wink

It annoys me alot too, because like someone else said, WE HAVE TO READ IT AS WELL!

im juz sik of all dem bro'z who cum here wid der talk lik dis an evryfink it's jus fukin unbelivble, an id getz werse ova da holz i fink

IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO WRITE A SENTANCE AND SPELL PROPERLY.

It's kind of scary when I think that i'm worried about the next generation, since i'm only 25.

Oh well Smile
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvrolla wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 10:31

I sometimes get REALLY picky about things like grammer. Probably because i've got an english major.

Hrmm.... Rolling Eyes

I don't get it? Or is the implication that english has nothing to do with grammer??
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big T wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 22:49

rvrolla wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 10:31

Hrmm.... Rolling Eyes

I don't get it? Or is the implication that english has nothing to do with grammer??

haha you serious?
grammer is spelt grammar
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHAHAHA. Good thing i spent 6 years at uni to learn it eh Razz Ah, that just made my day. I need that red squiggly line the paperclip word dude puts under everything he doesn't like.

Eddie.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i pride myself on my english, and while some hyphens and other random junk arent there, im sure my posts are quite coherant compared to some of the posts on here.

any spelling mistakes are a direct result of typing in the dark at 44 words per minute.

techinically, english is actually my second language, ive been in Aus since i was 4 Smile

im 18 now, and i own alot of people in spelling and grammar.

oh, and the one term that shits me off more than anything else is "sif" "as if" is only two extra keystrokes....

Eldar.O.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is it wrong to be irritated by poor spelling and grammar? Thu, 02 June 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
EldarO wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 23:26

oh, and the one term that shits me off more than anything else is "sif" "as if" is only two extra keystrokes....

Eldar.O.

I always use sif in a cheeky manner.
eg. It was you wasn't it! Shocked
sif! Embarassed

That's generally how people use it whenever I hear/see it.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:why celica = cicely mosquito...
Next Topic:1337 Firefox extension!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:23:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0096578598022461 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.