Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » are BIG wheels on the way out?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 05:49 Go to next message
hey guys, just lookin at some of the import scence and with the new trend of drift its obvious that people are starting to cut back in rim size when choosing aftermarket wheels,
ive started noticing some nice looking 16's 15's even to as low as 13's....it seemes any decent wheel with some nice dish is pleasing to the sye these days.
of course im not talkin about show cars etc, but street cars suck as old corrolas, celicas, levins and datsuns. its about time people stopped trying to jam oversized wheels into these old beasts.

but are big wheels on the way out?

give us your opinion.... Rolling Eyes
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno - I've just finished having a day of fun in a TT 6-speed JZA80 with 19" rims Very Happy

edit: hope ashling doesn't read this

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2005 05:57]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, I'd say the reverse. If was up to the manufacturers, especially Holden, you could get a heap of bigger wheels, including 19's. Shit, you can option 18x7.5" wheels for a new Astra! I've got nothing at all against big wheels, so long as they are tasteful.
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends entirely on the car. Newer car big rims generally look nice, old school beast should stick to smaller rims with lots of dish and fat tyres. I can't stand seeing crappy old Gemini's and Datto's driving around with 18's stuck underneath, looks bloody retarded.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Major Clod wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 19:32

Depends entirely on the car. Newer car big rims generally look nice, old school beast should stick to smaller rims with lots of dish and fat tyres. I can't stand seeing crappy old Gemini's and Datto's driving around with 18's stuck underneath, looks bloody retarded.

i agree with this, i've seen some cars where the rims probably cost more than the car.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I go by the rule of two...if the wheels are large i.e. 17" or higher and at least one pair of them is not half as wide as they are in diameter then its purely for wank factor.

I cannot stand people that buy 20"x8" wide wheels its just rice...
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
big diameter is old and busted
deep dish is the new hotness
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
big wheels arent on their way out, i love to see big rims on everything.

big chromies on the other hand, make me wish i was temporary blind.

although nice 15" deep dish rims on a ta22 set me off everytime!

Eldar.O.
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the way out i reckon.

some wheels with nice dish and offset are all i need, crazy design and big diameter, i can live without
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon it depends on the car and what its used for ..etc

a vip car such as a crown, celsior deserves tasteful big wheels and preferably dish(ie not a set of ugly 19's from tempe tyres)

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2005 17:28]

Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dish me baby, anyday Cool

IMO, anything bigger than 15" on an old school sub 1000kg car is pointless, harder to spin, heavier etc.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
8x15 front.
10x15 rear.
Will do me fine. and I realy don't like the look of these big wheels that some cars are running around with.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think 17' look to big on my RA28 plus flat wheel (no dish) look hot.

http://img170.echo.cx/my.php?image=toyotaclub007a9 oy.jpg][IMG]

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2005 22:26]

Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra_28 wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 08:23

OK, That set looks quite good on your car.
But I think any bigger would spoil the look.
Thats only my opinion,what I like.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they'd be great if they weren't chrome Smile
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Thu, 02 June 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I know I'm in the process off getting some gold Fr17 Simmons.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 03 June 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didn't want your first born child hey?
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 03 June 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First born child? My car is my child. Very Happy
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 03 June 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra_28 wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 06:23

almost as cool as the guy standing behind the car Razz

ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 03 June 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucky thats not me he does look cool but. Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 03 June 2005 02:14]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 03 June 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is what rims SHOULD look like...

http://www.witzl.com/ra28/feb%2005-1.jpg

http://www.witzl.com/crown/new%20rims%203.jpg
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 03 June 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celica looks good. The crown look like the rime are about 2 inches to wide for the tyres.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 03 June 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's called stretch Smile
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 03 June 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What size are the F series Simmons?
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id stick 18s under anything any day of the week.

better then them gay 15s and 16s that everyone seems to be using these days.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
time2play wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 14:23

under anything? you serious? let give you a list of cars and see if you would want 18's on em.
- import gtv trueno
- panda levin
- datsun 260z 2seater with flared guards
- datsun 1600 sedan
- the original gtr skyline
- ra23/ta22/ra28 celica

you could not honestly say any of these cars would look better with 18's than any other style of wheel.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but thats cos ur a leb Laughing

and u want it to be fully sick Laughing Laughing
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhhhhhh BOCKA. not under them cars but yes on the ta22

skyline gtr r32 upwards yes.

the original old skool gtr id just leave it stock.

Arch Fully sik is so outta date man.

but lets just use an example, say an 87 laser bubble hatch. id slam that on 18s just for the fun of it.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 June 2005 04:46]

time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and yes on a dato 1600.

fkin oath id dump that on 18s.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
time2play wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 14:23

What am I then? I got my 14" MA61 stockies still... Rolling Eyes
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stockys are a whole different story.

i have stockers to.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
time2play - good to see you got some sense in wheel choice. i dont hold anything against 18's (or over)they just have to be in good tase. as for the 1600 15's with sweet dish is where its at! Surprised
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't see much point in going past 17" rims, unless it's a really big diameter tyre, like on late model Falcodores - then 18" is the biggest I'd consider.

Car manufacturers are only going up in size - and I don't see anything smaller than 17" on most tyre store "bling racks" for the aftermarket. I think there'll be variety in size and style for as long as cars have wheels, as rims are such an intensely personal thing.

So no - BIG wheels are NOT on the way out!

Style-wise, I dig on this sort of thang:

http://img157.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/4/9/3/0/single_life1960-img315x302-1103599283bbs_ch.jpghttp://img45.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/4/9/3/0/single_life1960-img450x424-1116318187oz_spt-evo_t.jpg
http://img119.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/4/9/3/0/single_life1960-img300x289-1098962541d-spec_b.jpgI OWN a set of these - waiting for shipping outta Japan ! !

http://www.randdmotorsports.com/images/buddyclub/q_gun_1_.jpghttp://www.randdmotorsports.com/images/buddyclub/q_white_1_.jpg
Mmmm.... Buuudddddy cluuuub

And a few of you will know about my 5-spoke race-style fetish . . . : http://www.ozwheels.com.au/images/catalogue/vs103245/vs103245-gr0.jpg
As seen in black on the new HSV clubsport dealer pack . . .
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think 18" wheels look perfect on most cars out there. I reckon they look tops on my RAV Rolling Eyes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/mohit/18s02 .jpg
pLaYa_OnE
Regular

February 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't think it's so much that big wheels are on the way out as it is that 'oversized' and much more to the point 'over-stated' rims most definately are. As mentioned earlier, sticking 18's on a levin just won't work as it wouldn't with any (with the odd exception) car that came stock on something along the lines of 13/14's. but that's just my opinion Smile

i'm loving dished rims at the moment and they seem to look good big or small, but i haven't any undersized cars on oversized dishs... maybe that's why they always look so damn good, just because people fit them appropriately to their car(s). Confused

watanabe's all the way!!! Very Happy
chromie's... go away! Wink
SprinterBoy
Regular

January 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got a set of 16x7.5 FR's in charcol on my sprinter and the thing looks sexy as, just the right about of dish, not to big, but i would'nt go any bigger. don't think it would look right. i gotta up date my avatar so ya'll can see Smile
RoLLa_GurL_StyLeR
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sat, 04 June 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm, I don't know about this one... We've got a mixture at our house, 13's on an ae86, 15's on an ae92, and 18's on the vl... But yeh the rims have been getting a bit smaller lately, although on all the ricers rides they just keep growin...
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Sun, 05 June 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 16:46

time2play - good to see you got some sense in wheel choice. i dont hold anything against 18's (or over)they just have to be in good tase. as for the 1600 15's with sweet dish is where its at! Surprised

I test fitted some of my low offset 15*7 watanabes on my mates 1600, they sat about 1 1/2 inch out the guards, looked tough!!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Mon, 06 June 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most of the time wheels bigger than stock look great.
but not heaps bigger.
I've got 16's on my celica that came with 14's from the factory. I wouldn't go any bigger cuz it would look kind of wierd.
But having said that does anybody remember the video to the song "goodies" that car she was sitting in/on had massive wheels and i thought that looked good.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Mon, 06 June 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run low offset so i want same deep dish with fat tires. so 15's would probably do. but i don't like those million spoke ones (which i sorta have now) which seems to be all that is around.

But hey, i wouldn't say no to 17's or 18's i just think that for what i would spend on 16's it would be worth keeping them small. and you can drive off road. take 20's somewhere with a bit of gravel and see what happens...

EDIT: Oh and i loved my 1974 mazda 929 with 13" dragways at 215!!! they looked sweet

[Updated on: Mon, 06 June 2005 04:18]

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Mon, 06 June 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea they're on the way out.

Just today I saw a skateboard up on a couple of bricks and a silvia driving away with the skateboard wheels on it.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Mon, 06 June 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
https://www.racingbeat.com/gallery/RX3%20Drag.1.jpg
14"s are cheap Surprised
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Mon, 06 June 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Worst wheels eva= 13" 3 spoke that they used to "option" up on the excels Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

As for big rims on old cars I like the look of 17s on old celicas infact I think they are the best size for the car. The smallest id go on an old celica is 16s,as for 18's as ive said before check out Jeries white TA22,they are chrome 18s and I think they look hot!!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Mon, 06 June 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/car/Simmonssmall.JPG

17s or 18s on the supra would look good

18s if you get 330mm brakes Smile
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Mon, 06 June 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 17:34

Yea they're on the way out.

Just today I saw a skateboard up on a couple of bricks and a silvia driving away with the skateboard wheels on it.

are you sure? im pretty sure they dont have the same stud pattern Confused
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Mon, 06 June 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://photos3.flickr.com/4143078_bbcd7d588f.jpg?v=0
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Mon, 06 June 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh gimme 16" wheels for the rolla anyday, don't lose all the ride comfort.... only about 80% Razz

i'm really tempted to get my simmons put out to 7" for more dish Very Happy
The Bruster
Regular

August 2003
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Tue, 07 June 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate it when people get a car with sorted handeling, and ruin it by putting huge wheels on!!!! It seems a waste to me!!!
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 10 June 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
give me dish or give me death.
having said that though i will admit that i do have 18's on the celsior.

I have a sick fascination with 13/14" wirespokes with huge whitewalls..

BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 10 June 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 18:26

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/car/Simmonssmall.JPG

17s or 18s on the supra would look good

18s if you get 330mm brakes Smile

god damnn thats a nice rim!!.. Mad Mad Mad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 10 June 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 14:48

It'd bloody well wanna be for the price Wink
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: are BIG wheels on the way out? Fri, 10 June 2005 06:54 Go to previous message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 16:50

BOCKA wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 14:48

It'd bloody well wanna be for the price Wink

can someone share this price with me? prehaps through a PM? i was just thinkin of how much they are worth...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rearview Mirror.
Next Topic:Take the test
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:28:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0099971294403076 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.