Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 01:45 Go to next message
Just trying to chase down some rear disc brake calipers that have a handbrake mechanism built into them i.e. the brake system does not use a small drum setup for the handbrake.

I am trying to find a few different options so I can peice together a viable setup Wink

I know JDM sprinter rear calipers have the hand brake mechanism built into the caliper (I had some on a diff, but these are pretty hard to find) and Suzuki Swift GTi's also have the same system. Other options that people know of would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
280Z are that design Smile
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s13 nissans
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old Peuget 504's had that design, were easy to work on, and usually worked well. They were expensive to replace the internals/piston, but they have reached that age now where aftermarket parts are usually available, making them much cheaper.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, any Nissan I know of uses that.

R31 Skyline/Pintara.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick replies and good info.

Does anyone know what system the ST162 celica uses?? Couldn't find any info when I just did a search, but I suspect it might be the type I am after?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE82-101 used that setup. AE101 had slightly larger bore pistons than the AE92, not sure about the AE82 setup. If you are putting them onto a 4x114.3 PCD car, then the ST141/RT142 rear discs are a perfect match.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mistubishi Scorpion (reasonable size pad, but solid disc)

MR2 (SW20) - smaller pad, but vented disc
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think TRX blue bird have that stup as well

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 03:15]

TheGecko
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on what size disc you're trying to fit them over. I've been hunting around for handbrake type calipers to fit over AE101 front discs (I'm building a mid-engined car with a silvertop drivetrain behind the seats).

I sat down with the DBA catalogue and looked for cars with rear discs about the same thickness as the Corolla fronts (22mm) and selected a few likely candidates. Then I went scrounging around the wreckers to see what the calipers actually loked like.

The other suggestions above all sound valid but I'll add two more. XB-XF Falcon disc rears use a handbrake caliper over 24mm discs. There a set on eBay here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;item=4552495530.

Subaru 1600, 1800DL, Brumby, and Leone (don't know about Liberty's or later) have the handbrake on the front wheels. Disc ticknesses range from 10 to 18mm. The Brumby calipers are what I ended up buying ($60/pr from wrecker) although I may end up looking for a set of Falcon ones as the Subies are pretty bulky.

Hope this helps,

Dominic
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 12:38

AE82-101 used that setup. AE101 had slightly larger bore pistons than the AE92, not sure about the AE82 setup. If you are putting them onto a 4x114.3 PCD car, then the ST141/RT142 rear discs are a perfect match.

Are they alloy calipers too? Are the disc's vented? sounds good for a t18 diff.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solid discs, and cast iron calipers. Other than that they would be perfect.
Look on Sam_Qs project thread in Members Rides for more info.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ST141 corona rear brakes do NOT have a integrated handrake in the caliper, they have a seperate drum for the handbrake, i know this cause i got some sitting in my garage right now Smile

obvious choice to me would be the rear falcon calipers on EA's to about EF? they are a VERY basic design, millions around, cheap rebuild kits and are easy to work on.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the ST141s have a drum internal handbrake. but i waasnt suggesting you use the entire assembly.

I meant that the AE82-AE101 calipers (which have handbrake actuation) are a perfect match, width and thickness wise for a ST141 disc. Makes sprinter and other small 4x114.3PCD rear disc conversion a piece of cake.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 01 June 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 12:37

Thanks for the quick replies and good info.

Does anyone know what system the ST162 celica uses?? Couldn't find any info when I just did a search, but I suspect it might be the type I am after?

Pretty sure that these have an internal drum.

early Saab's (dunno bout late ones) also have a front handbrake like the Subaru's before the Liberty.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Thu, 02 June 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As Takai said visit my worklog for info on using ae-82 calipers with st-141 disks. As far as I know many nissans used this setup, like s13, S14, skyline, pintara...
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Thu, 02 June 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it would just be easier to use the ST141 discs AND calipers, that way you get the benefit of internal drum handbrake and no welding required.
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Thu, 02 June 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Front calipers on mid-80's Subaru's had hand brakes built into the calipers...quite common to then convert them to the rear and put bigger ones on the front.

Think Leone or RX Turbo. Not sure what disc size etc, but they were vented.

PCD will be a problem.

M

(don't ask me what it's like trying to do a handbrake turn in rally before realising they are on the front...you look pretty stupid)
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Thu, 02 June 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just finnished my falcon brakes on t-series rear end a couple of weeks back and they're awsome, cheap and easy to do also.I got the calipers and mounts for about$60, brand new un-drilled vented discs for $130 the pair and paid $55 for my ra40 diff and t-18 rear tail shaft,new bearings and magna wheel studs and made a hybrid sprinter/falcon h/b cable.I also made up a phantom grip for it to wich was good on dirt but is prety useless now,however it was a design fault of my own and the next one I expect to be a very good thing.
Just remember falcon bits are a dime a dozen and with all the nine inch conversions going on out there the un-drilled discs are easy to get hold of to.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Thu, 02 June 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How big are they?
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Thu, 02 June 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can confirm that ED falcon has this, and so does 93 pulsar Q
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Thu, 02 June 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ma61, easy to convert, bigger calipper
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Thu, 02 June 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I think TRX blue bird have that stup as well

Bluebird TRX uses internal drum for handbrake.

Also they use an alloy backing plate that tends to crack when slotted or redrilled to fit on another diff.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2005 23:08]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Thu, 02 June 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 06:49

Did you even read the title of the thread?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Fri, 03 June 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 09:51

or know much about ma61s? they have the same ghey drum handbrake the guy is trying to get rid of.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Fri, 03 June 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona avante ?
It's the same as a supra isn't it
I've got those rear disks on my car and as far as i know they use the disks as a handbrake.
I haven't really looked tho.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Fri, 03 June 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 10:03

or know much about ma61s? they have the same ghey drum handbrake the guy is trying to get rid of.

Sorry, i meant the celica supra, dont no the model number
There was one at pick and pay less, rear disk's, the calipers are bigger that jdm rear disk's
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Fri, 03 June 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 11:31

draven wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 10:03

Sorry, i meant the celica supra, dont no the model number
There was one at pick and pay less, rear disk's, the calipers are bigger that jdm rear disk's

Once again, did you read the thread title? For the record, CelicaSupra would most likely be an MA61, but it still doesn't have a handbrake integrated into the caliper...which is the question Rolling Eyes
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Fri, 03 June 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA45/6/7 has an integrated caliper and handbrake. Good luck finding spares.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Fri, 03 June 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome info guys, thanks heaps for sharing it. I now have some good ideas on what I am looking for.

We don't have pick 'n' payless or anything similar here, the wreckers here generally don't let you wander around. So this sort of info is very valuable as I can now narrow my choices down and then go hunting Very Happy

Arrhh BUbbles, thankyou for um Rolling Eyes sharing your wisdom with us Wink

Cheers.

I will let people know how I go (v2.1 Brake upgrade will occur first though).
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Fri, 03 June 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just outta curiosity, why are people opting for an integrated caliper handbrake? from my experience they sdtruggle to keep the car stationary even on slight inclines. having said that, ive never owned a car with a rear disc and drum handbrake so can say much from them either, however i thought they might be a better handbrake.
opinions?
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Sat, 04 June 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd still have to say falcon or skyline is youre best option as they have a bolt on caliper mount with can be filled and re-drilled to suit youre diff and can be spaced to suit the new offset. For semi serious + handbrake fun I'd be looking at a hydrolic h/b as commiting to a handbrakey and having the cable bust is prety nasty.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation) Wed, 08 June 2005 23:42 Go to previous message
Heres couple test fit pictures of Subaru Leone front calipers and MB Vito disks on my Hilux rear end.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/JayemofFinl and/P5170001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/JayemofFinl and/P5170004.jpg

MB disk is 22mm x 276mm and I managed to squeezed these under 14" rim. Disk is DBA564 in DBA catalog...

Quote:

early Saab's (dunno bout late ones) also have a front handbrake like the Subaru's before the Liberty.

You mean 96, 90, 99 and early 900 series which are utter shit! Everybody should stay away from these!!!
Later Saabs have rear calipers with integrated hand brake. Calipers them selves work extremely good only problem is small OEM disk. 9mm x 258mm

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 23:45]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Knocking 2A-C Engine
Next Topic:st162 3sge gearbox
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:42:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14407515525818 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.