Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Wed, 01 June 2005 14:11 Go to next message
OK,

I know it sounds like a bit of a weird one for an AW11.

From the research i have done there were no markets where PS was available on AW11s, would love to be proved wrong as this would make it much easier !!

.... but has anyone put power steering on a car that never came with PS ?

I know a lot of parts are interchangable with AE82s and i am pretty sure some came with PS but does anyone know if the racks are the same or even similar ??

Obviously issues will arise from the power steering pump being miles from the rack but i am sure that could be overcome.

Another angle is SW20s had an option for PS i think ?? any SW20 owners with PS care to comment ??

With all the steering joints i have contacted no one has been able to suggest any solutions

any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks

Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Wed, 01 June 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the steering isnt light enough for you already?

never heard of one or seen anyone do it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Wed, 01 June 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car weighs next to nothing and there's no engine over the front wheels... why on earth do you need power assistance?
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Wed, 01 June 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I assume it's something to do with running steamroller tires on the front.

They do load up horribly at parking speeds.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Wed, 01 June 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use a larger diameter steering wheel.....
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 09:09

I assume it's something to do with running steamroller tires on the front.

They do load up horribly at parking speeds.

A 2 way LSD and decent clutch will eliminate such turning issues.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 00:27

the steering isnt light enough for you already?

never heard of one or seen anyone do it.

C,mon guys !!

OK, fair enough if i read this post i would probably respond the same way so i suppose an explanation is in order.

Is the steering not light enough..well its very good but no unfortunately its not light enough. and why on earth would i want it lighter well.

Its not that i want it but NEED it !!

I actually only have one functional hand, also i have no pec major or minor and am missing a lot of the muscles in by back.

Furthermore my right arm is about 100mm short and i am having problems with my right shoulder dislocating.

Furthermore the strength in my right arm is deteriorating.

So now that that is out of the way, i love my AW11 its one of the best to drive cars and i love to race it Evil or Very Mad i own two of them and i have owned the first one for nearly 16 years.

The prob is that because of the deteriation of strength it is getting harder and harder to drive.

Its not a major problem just yet commutiing etc but i have been doing a bit of racing lately. Further i want to do soem more motorkhanas and do some drifting etc and i just dont have enough purchase on the wheel. Its a prob with my right arm which is a problem changing gear or particularly doing hand brake turns.

Especially when you are strapped in with a race harness !!

On some of the tracks i have raced on there are some very long high speed corners with high lateral loads where you need to change gear , i am talking like through the flip flop at oran park 3-4 gear on the red line so prob doing about 150 klicks or turn 2-3 at eastern creek..anyway there are a few.

Hope this clarifies but again i need some technical assistance.

Thanks
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think this will take a bit of solving....

the sw20 uses an electric pump mounted in the front, its controlled by a rather complex set of relays and doo dads.

maybe you can make something up out of an ae82 rack and sw20 pump?
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks,

Something like that sounds good do you know how similar the AE82 racks are to the AW11 ??

Can someone send me some pics of a PS rack from an AE 82 i can start from there
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im afriad i dont, i was going off your statement!

iv had a quick look on the epc and i cant find any part numbers the same... i think measuring some up will be your best bet.
measure the aw11 one then off to the wreckers i reckon....
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do the mk3's have power steering?

If not, have a look at things like the Prius, I think they have electric power steering.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep,

I think you are right, just wanted to do some research first before trudging around with a tape measure Laughing Laughing
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lazy ass!

btw that is a VERY sweet aw in your avatar, whats the rear wing from?
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lazy,

Not really..i love walking around looking for parts

Thanks for the positive feedback on the car.

If i tell you about the wing i will have to kill you Laughing

Its off an Evo 3 i think, its actually a two tier type, there is a spioler just above the boot lid then the wing. It suits the car from most angles, makes it stand out from the crowd anyway we had a get togather and there were 10 AW11s... sweet
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Woods from the UK is doing this in his AW11 with a 3VZ-FE.

He is using SW20 parts, electric pump and rack etc. the problem is that the AW11 has the rack rear mounted and the SW20 has the rack front mounted. To get around this he has got a LHD SW20 rack and flipped it over, when he used the RHD rack turning the wheel to the right would make the car go left.

There are some details on his work in this thread on the MR2 OC forum.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=106353
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha fair enough, iv got an 86 s/c

josh: that would make drving an experience.... Shocked

the MR2OC site is a good place for info, also for sourcing a l/h rack....
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the link....very interesting this may be one way to solve the prob.

Also on the V6 conversoin i thought i read somewhere about someone with a 1MZ (3.o ltr quad cam late model engine ) supercharged ??? would that be right or am i loosing my mind

thanks,

Scott
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't know if you have ever gotten under there and pulled an aw11 rack out, but there is not much room down there, especially where the rack goes through the floor to join the steering column. A power rack is often alot beefier, you may have problems making one fit through the floor to join the column. thats really the main problem I see with it.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No,

Have not pulled one out but had a pretty good look tho.

Yep it definitely is tight..like most things on the car Laughing

the SW20 option sounds viable but if the AE 82 rack is identical i think i would prefer to use that.

Anyone know anyone with an AE82 with PS ?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im probably talking out of my ass but have you must have pleanty of engineer buddies gun metal have you thought about speaking with them about your dilema they might have a friend that might be able to help
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Thu, 02 June 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 07:54

im probably talking out of my ass but have you must have pleanty of engineer buddies gun metal have you thought about speaking with them about your dilema they might have a friend that might be able to help

You would think so...but alas ...no, well not yet anyway.

Unfortunately its a completely different field of engineering.

anyone that could possibly help would be doing it from scratch so that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

i really like the option of keeping it all Toyota, so want to try the interchangable part route first.

By the way did you get the email with the link on the blower...looks pretty crazy to me !
smitty1
Regular

July 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 03 June 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's slightly off topic, but there's a guy in the states who has conveted his te27 to rack and pinion steering. The rack that he used was an aw11 rack. But he noted that it was the same as an ae86 rack. This should open up the possibility of power steering. The site is 1uzfe.com

Thanks, Ian
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 03 June 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet,

thanks for the info Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Do you know if AE86 came with PS as an option, dont know a whole lot about them but never seen one with PS

Thanks
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 03 June 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes the sure did Cool
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 03 June 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure only JAY-DEE-EM AE86's had the option of P/S, so expect to pay the Takumi-wannabe tax. Having said that, KE70/AE71 steering gear should be compatible - don't know if any local models came with P/S though.
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 03 June 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
according to my EPC the oz model was avail with pwr str as well as manual
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 03 June 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exxxxxeeeeelllent,

Now we are talking !!!!

looks like its time to do some ringing around and see who has got one of these puppies for sale.

thanks
smitty1
Regular

July 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 03 June 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never seen one, but I've read so much about using the power steering arms on non power steering to make the steering more direct that i just assume that there is one

Thanks, Ian.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 03 June 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 08:01

4agte wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 07:54

You would think so...but alas ...no, well not yet anyway.

Unfortunately its a completely different field of engineering.

anyone that could possibly help would be doing it from scratch so that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

i really like the option of keeping it all Toyota, so want to try the interchangable part route first.

By the way did you get the email with the link on the blower...looks pretty crazy to me !

havent checked the email yet will later tonight however i thought if one of your engineer buddies might know a mechanical engineer of some sort that would take an interest in your delima and knock you up something for cheap. but i guess not
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 03 June 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, AE86's did have power steering, no not in Australia. The result? You'll pay a sodding fortune for the bits/they'll be expensive. But it might be a possibility. Try a KE70 manual rack up for size first, if it fits, then go find an AE86 PS rack.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Sat, 04 June 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More good info thanks,

Ok so it looks like i start looking for PS rack for an AE86 or maybe a KE70 or AE71. Then see how compatible the SW20 electric pump will be with these racks will be the next question, because trying to mount a PS pump on the motor is going to be a nightmare not to mention how long the hoses will be !!!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Sat, 04 June 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you could try adapting an all electric system from a newer model plastic dog (i.e. small) car? These use an electric motor mounted on the column, and avoid all the messy details of fiddling with the rack/hydraulics. V8 supercars use this system, maybe you could do a little research, find out where they get theirs from, then after recovering from the coronary condition brought about from discovering the price, think of it as an option.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Mon, 06 June 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks,

Sounds like a very interesting idea.

What sort of small cars that you know of had these ?

V8 supercars are sure to equal BIG $$$$$

Regards
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Fri, 10 June 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Small cars... hmmm, basically lots of things over the last few years, e.g. Suzuki's, even the Prius.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POWER STEERING FOR AW11 Sat, 11 June 2005 00:23 Go to previous message
ae86 rack internals very similar to aw11 - i had 2 jdm power steer ae86 setups a couple of years ago - one of the people i sold a setup to did not use it & to my knowledge still has it. pm me for his details if you are interested

T
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:planning a forged turbo rebuild. whats required.
Next Topic:4age for dune buggy conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:43:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060820579528809 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.