Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
icon5.gif  2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Wed, 04 May 2005 15:15 Go to next message
AS the title says, why do the oil holes need to be
covered? If the 260 head and block were originaly 2tgeu
then I guess the engine came as standard with the dummy
cam. If this is the case, how will I know if the engine
truely is a 2tgeu? Then again, it may not be a 2tgeu and
somebody has put this in the 2tg. The engine is freshly
rebuilt and now in the car. This is one thing I did not
check while the engine was being rebuilt. Is there a way to
know if the oil holes have been covered? Also, if they have not been covered, what problems can arise from this?
Cheers for any advice you may offer....
Ciaran Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Wed, 04 May 2005 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what's the oil pressure??
if there was a passageway/hole/galley where there shouldn't be, it would be very low, and if there wasn't a passageway/hole/galley when there should have been, then the part/s would be noisy & then dead by now.

i have no experience with 2, t, e, g, u, whatever.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Thu, 05 May 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

AS the title says, why do the oil holes need to be
covered?

if they are not covered and no cam is fitted in the block (as used in a 2TC pushrod setup) then the oil will flow from the holes with little resistance and cause low oil pressure in your engine.

Quote:

If the 260 head and block were originaly 2tgeu
then I guess the engine came as standard with the dummy
cam.

All the 2T variations use essentially the same block (there are some minor differences though) A 2TG or 2TGEU simply has the oil ports for the cam that would normally be present in a 2TC blocked.

Quote:

Also, if they have not been covered, what problems can arise from this?

Low oil pressure resulting in dead internals.

I cracked a 2TGEU block once and as a cheap and easy to find replacement I simply found a 2T, stripped it down, had the blocked cleaned, machined, checked etc. The bearings for the dummy cam were removed and refitted 180 degrees rotated so that the oil hole didn't line up, thus blocking the dummy cam oil holes.

cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Thu, 05 May 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there an easy way to find out if the bearing has been rotated? The engine has just been rebuilt, not even turned over yet, and fitted to the coupe. I really don't want to remove it and strip the engine to find that it has already been done if it can be helped at all.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Thu, 05 May 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you take the dummy distributor thing out, fit a lare flat head screwdriver into your trusty power drill, drive the oil pump with the drill/screwdriver combo and see how much oil pressure that you get (they will make pressure on relatively low revs).

Apart from that? There are some other ways, but they are reasonably drastic.

cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Fri, 06 May 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*CWhelan pricks up his ears and listens for drastic behavior*

I tentatively await for this next segment of advice Rolling Eyes
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Fri, 06 May 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 19:06

Apart from that? There are some other ways, but they are reasonably drastic.

by this, i think yellorolla means that you rev the crap out of the engine while it has little if any oil pressure and wait for it to:
a- sounds like a chaff cutter
b- seize the crankshaft and any other oiled bearing surfaces
c- die and transform into a boat anchor

... at which point you realise that you should have fixed this before re-assembling the motor?

seriously: what he suggests (long screwdriver bit in drill to run oil pump) is a good idea following engine rebuilding as you can get oil to all the bearing surfaces in the car before turning over the motor. i did this prior to firing up my RA40 for the first time so i didn't have to worry about oil pressure.

this trick only works if your oil pump is driven off the end of the dizzi.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 May 2005 03:21]

cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Fri, 06 May 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good, will do this. What is the pressure I need to be looking for on the 2TG? If it anything below what it is supposed to be then yes, I will most definately pull it apart and turn the bearing... My bad for not checking this before rebuilding, I did assume it had already been done. I just don't want to rely on assumptions Smile

Thanks lads...

[Updated on: Fri, 06 May 2005 07:52]

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Fri, 06 May 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are some variables to be considered. My engine gets 70psi at idle with cold engine oil and 20psi hot,(I am not sure that an Ozito 12V cordless drill will be able to drive the oil pump at that high loading though).

So, turn it with the drill, tell us how many rpm's your fully hektik drill runs at and what oil pressure you managed to achieve and I (or somebody else here will try to offer if that is anywhere near suitable.

Drastic = cutting hole in firewall with hole-saw and knocking out the welch plug at the back of the cam tunnel, getting bendy little torch and having a look. If it is still factory 2TG then they have little steel sticks across the bearing and plugging the hole. If no sticks and you can't see if the oil hole lines up, get a friend to drive your oil pump with the drill as previously outlined.

muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Fri, 06 May 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 21:10

Drastic = cutting hole in firewall with hole-saw and knocking out the welch plug at the back of the cam tunnel, getting bendy little torch and having a look.

or pull the engine out.....save cutting your firewall................yeah drastic
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Fri, 06 May 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bet I could get a hole in the firewall, check it, fit new welch plug before you would be able to swing the engine crane in position.

That said, if I was in cwhelans position, the engine would have been out and back in without the time to sit at teh computer and ask the question here Laughing
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Mon, 09 May 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's always the smart arse huh....
But then again so am I at times. Thanks yellorolla on your reply, I will turn the pump with the "fully hectic (torque busting ear piercing bolt snapping) drill".
If I give you the right RPM which won't be a problem then maybe the pressure reading I give might be of some significance.
Yes that is right, I would have the engine out and checked in no time also, but am house sitting at the moment and won't be able to do it for another 2 weeks or so. I'd rather ponder on what else could be done on checking this than take out the engine agian. To be safe, I will strip the engine down and start again. This engine hasn't even been turned over yet since all of the machining, so yes, I'd rather be safe than sorry. So far it has nearly cost $3000 for the engine with machining.

Pulling the welsh plug and turning the pump sounds a good idea, might try that first. Can I buy welsh plugs singularly?

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 05:05]

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Mon, 09 May 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes welch plugs can be bought singularly (let's ask Bigworm Laughing )

No smart arse to it - I stated how I would have handled it.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Thu, 02 June 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have a pic of the inside of the dummy cam area where the oil hole is blocked up by the "sticks".
I would be most apreciative of this if anyone does?

If I use a small bendy light and a surgical mirror on an extension, do you think I would be able to spot this from the fuel pump location on the side of the block. The other idea I have is that if these sticks are not there, I could get someone to turn the pump while looking for oil to squirt through the oil feed on the bearing. Could this work also?

Cheers
Ciaran
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Thu, 02 June 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sticks?
it looks exactly the same, only that if the cam bearings have been spun around correctly, the oil hole in it and the oil hole in the block do not line up, thus blocking any oil from coming out!
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2tg dummy cam oil hole to cover or not......WHY? Thu, 02 June 2005 22:33 Go to previous message
Jesse,
This is only if it is a converion engine, the sticks are (I presume) accross the inside of the bearing, with one end blocking the hole, I also presume that there is a second stick which forms a cross at the centre of this stick? I guess it would be a support stick? What I don't understand is, how does this stay in position? A photo of this would clarify this greatly. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GZ20 Pressure Plate
Next Topic:locker diff
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:00:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048801898956299 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.